• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

The Winding River Project

Started by mrbisonm, March 08, 2009, 03:11:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

threestooges

It looks like a hoist and a vent fan. For what I dont' know. But there are two towers involved, both connected by the walkway, that is significantly above the ground. Obviously there is a somewhat frequent need to go between the top levels of the towers without having to go down and back up. Without having seen the other tower, I'm wagering there is some significant excavation going on. Perhaps subterranian development. But then, that still doesn't explain the great height of things. By the way. Govt. agents with a briefcase full of cash buying copious amounts of lumber? That doesn't sound at all like a coverup. I have the feeling this will be quite the interesting month.
-Matt

mrbisonm

Quote from: KoV Liberty on April 02, 2010, 08:38:16 PM
Maybe not a primitive elevator or hoist. If you look below it, you can see a turbine of some sort (correct me if I am wrong), and that would interfere with the cable being brought down to the ground. Overall, a very good BAT and I cannot wait to see whats going on after all this secrecy!

Alex

Turbine....hm? Good observation....maybe a fan of some kind? lol......
I enjoy all the ideas you folks come up with, they're really good, imagination is proof of good mental health, they say. You guys must be all healthy....

All that lumber...used for what, maybe underground you think, threestooges? Hm......Right, it is a pathway between the two towers alright, most likely because of their height.
There's another thing....well several more things...to take into consideration......
Why were the two bridge construction workers found dead nearby and why did they build these towers near the skullhuts it seems? Coincidence? And why is the Gouvernment so silent about all this and so darn strict for aerial visits? What are those long things (bldg's) near the towers anyways (on the first picture that the bushpilot brought them)? If they are hangars of some kinds, why are they so long?

ohhh....I got a funny feeling this is something way more serious than just an archiological find. If they have moved the big powerlines for more than a mile then it must be serious!....I wonder........what John, Alex and Mike will be doing this week.
I also heard that the Military is about to give a public explanation, will they be honest about this? Let's wait and see. 1965 will be an interesting year.

I'll be gone for saturday and part of sunday, but Monday I got a full day of Simcity....woohoo. Be aware, maybe we get to see more of that building.....lol

But before I go, here's another picture of that building (or those buildings), from a different view.

Fred

....Uploading the MFP 1.... (.........Finishing the MFP1)

mightygoose

with the vents and lifts it has to be something fairly deep underground to warrant such extensive apparatus. my thoughts are potential uranium mine with on site enrichment?
NAM + CAM + RAM + SAM, that's how I roll....

CabraBuitre

Great updates, I've been away for too long!  I love the suspense with the unknown...  Initially when I saw it, it looked very much like the research tower at Fermi Lab, which is not far from where I grew up in suburban Chicago.  Once we got the closeups, I thought it looked like a mine... and the turbine thingy looks like it could be ventilation for said mine.   

Can't wait to see what happens!

Check out Abelfarei!

mrbisonm

mightygoose, nah....Uranium mine this big? Doubt it.
CabraBuitre, just a mine?...hm.....maybe, but what kind...if it is a mine. The ventilation for the mine or for anything else makes sense though.

- Two workers died right on the spot....................no one knows how or the cause.
- Several kilometers of fence around the site, now even High voltage, highly surveyed...
- All that secrecy.....
- Detour the High Power lines for several kilometers......expensive.
- No nearby airtraffic tolerated and menaced with serious threats to be shot down....

.....all that for a mine? I wonder.....

I'll be back later today, maybe with an official answer to many questions.

Fred

Cyclone1001

I still say top-secret military base.

mightygoose

kimcar

scott1964

mrbisonm

Update 44

««" You're early", John said to Mike when he arrived at Barby's Biergarten this Friday of March 25th, 1965, "it's only 3 PM".
"And you? Since when are you here?" Mike answered the question with a question. John smiled without saying much and invited Mike to sit down and hear what he's got to say this end of a busy week.
The Group of 4 that gather every friday afternoon for a couple of beers at the central Biergarten in Access to discuss the weeks advancements of highway 15has grown to 6 people. Alex Puto and Steve Gibson have joined the gang since a few weeks. Today only John's father, Henry, couldn't come, but everyone else arrived before 3 PM at the Pub.
Although gathering of the group was mainly to end the week with all the construction events of the week and to relax before ending the week's labour, some other subjects have infiltrated the conversations lately. "I told you that I would finish intime, remember?" Alex told John, his boss, while shaking his hand at his arrival."
All suprised John wouldn't know what he was talking about and gave him this confused look asking silently to explain. " You told me, no..." Alex took a deep breath, "You specified to me that the bridge over the river HAS TO BE finished before the end of march last fall, remember?" John nodded positively," Well it's done!" Alex proudly announced with a million § smile, "You can send in your troups now".
"Well, well well," John all suprised answered," Although I told you march, I awaited it for the end of April after all. Well done my friend." and he reached out his hand again to settle the affair and congratulate Alex. "That's the way to go, now we're back on schedule."

pic1

The discussion about the highway construction went on until the young bush pilot, the last of the group, arrived. Steve Gibson again was quite nervous and looked around before seating himself. Mike couldn't help and had to comment loudly. " No coffee for the pilot please, otherwise he will be flying us to the moon soon." and ended his phrase with laughter.
Steve sat down, took a deep breath and said looking mostly at John. " You never believe what I got in my jacket."
You got another picture of the towers?" John replied.
"Well, almost" Gibson stated, "I got a Blueprint of the towers."
"A what???" Slye asked all ears. John had to interfere and asked Slye to keep down his voice when they're talking about this matter.
Gibson confirmed that he received a Blueprint from his cousin Tommy in Lakestead, while he got it from his wife's cousin who works as a secretary at the architectural firm that was responsable to create the construction plans for the military. She received the order to destroy all the plans that the government had at this office concerning the tower construction in West River and knowing that her cousin had a brother in law that was immensely interested in the matter, she kept a small copy hoping that it would bring her cousin some joy. Gibson gladly accepted and brought it to the meeting.
John opened the papers and, "Wow, now, that's what I call a n important find. You're hired.", and  he looked at Steve with a big smile. Everyone else became instantly all eyes and ears admiring the plan.
"What is it?" were the first words that came out of Slye. "I mean, what do you think they're used for?"
John looked carefully at the plan and handed it over to Alex, who was more of a Pro with blueprints, being the Bridge Project Manager of Highway 15.
"Something you've seen before Alex?" Alex nodded negatively while his mouth deformed itself and it took him several minutes to add his comment.

pic2

"Nope, looks like some access to below ground if you ask me, but exactly what they do, I have no idea. There is a transport shaft that goes below and some pipes. I can't seem to make out those markings in between the towers.Hm..... Maybe they found oil or something."
"Hahhaha" Mike started laughing, "and I suppose that's why the army is taking care of the whole matter. Oil of course, why didn't I think of that?.", especially pronouncing the word *army* louder than the rest. "C'mon, if that's for oil, then I got gold and silver in my pants.", lifting his hand for Barby to see and ordering another round of beer for everyone.
It took them all afternoon examining the plans from every view and talking about the possibilities what it could be. The meeting finished when John said it they all have too much imagination at the moment and that these towers probably have a very specific and simple use, which they will find out soon anyways.
The weekend started and everyone left home to spend it with their families. Alex asked to keep the blueprint to study it during the weekend and they left the Biergarten while John made sure for everyone to be here next week.»»

Meanwhile in Access Center, Mayor Bartlett is about to figure out how to expand the airport landing strip which needs urgently to be lenghtened for bigger planes to land. The airport commission suggested to do it in the western part, cutting down the hills a little. There they have agricultural land that stretches down to the Hydrodam and that can easily be worked out to serve as a landing strip with only some minor and easy leveling of the terrain.

pic3

Also in Access, the new Elementary school will open this Monday. Much more room, modern and secure, everyone at the Mayor's office is proud to have ended this project. The new school now is situated near the big church where all the kids have been studying in it's basement.

pic4

Where the old school used to be, the new highschool arose and it also will open during the coming week. Some of the neighboring lots were purchased to have the neccessary space to build the school and it fitted nicely between the Access Road and the small Peal street in the back of the Olsen Pub, Post Office, theater and the small red appartment block of Mr Wellington.

pic5

As the citizen Mr McCoy has suspected and cried about two years ago, the garbage lots are running out of room. Mayor Bartlett himself still doesen't conside this as a problem at all, mentioning to just enlargen the area around it and that's exactly what they did.

pic6

Still in Access Center, the famous Coca-Cola Company from the U.S.A. has approached the municipality to build a small bottling facility in the town's industrial park, and soon a terrain was reserved for its purpose. The Company will hire 160 workers or more and the construction should start before the end of this year.

pic7

The former Police Chief of Access was recommended for retirement last month, probably because of the false arrest of Johnny B.Badd and his companion and which created a whole lotta mess of confusion in the law's department with the population, and the new chief arrived on last Tuesday. Mr Kyle Roberts, a lieutenant from Beecher Falls' Police department, gladly accepted the offer to become the new chief and already started to reorganize his new office on Access Road or Mainstreet as it is called now a days.

pic8

We heard of a young married fellow from Sandom, that has just bought two lots near Tom Kohler's Bus station. Harry Wormwood, born in NJ, USA and his pregnant wife are supposed to open up the first car dealership in town, offering new and used cars and trucks to the population. The construction starts already on Monday morning they say.

pic9

Also some newcomers to Access are George and Patrick Westwood from Reverant, that were hired by the Pastor of the bigger church. These two young twins will be doing maintenance and other jobs for the church and live in the presbytery nearby. Both were sent here by their father, who is a pastor in Beecherfalls and their mission is to learn more about the world that surround the churches of Simland.

pic10

And a last newcomer this week to Simland is a young Literarian (writer) from Daloa, ILL, who immigrated to find a decent quiet place to spend his life writing. He rented a small basement appartment in Bluebay on Bergen Island, just below the Gabber's Mansions. Charles M. Johnson was approached by the Access Center Tribune lkast week to become the journalist for the Bluebay and Sandom area. Charles was happy knowing that only a day was needed to find himself a decent new job in the region.

pic11

One man that was seen around the Access area quite often in the last weeks is a fellow from Beecherfalls that seems to have discovered Access as a playfull area. With a lot of Charm and a little arrogance, Paul Donovan spends his weekends in the Olsen Pub, Biergarten and other Pubs and Bars, making his weekly turns. Some folks have mentioned not to like him too much, taking too much space and feeling at home wherever he seems to go. Others don't mind and happily accept him in their buissnesses since he pays well and don't mind spending a few hundred § a weekend with the women he meets. What exactly he does as a profession to get his money from no one seems to know, and most of them don't care either. One thing for sure, he is known in Beecherfalls as a well known smalltime buissness man. Rumours are that he has been seen several times with our friend Slye from the Phlox Sawmill. Maybe an old acquaintance or maybe for buissness.
By the way, the Olsen Pub was sold this morning to some fellows from the Lakestead. They said they want to rebuild the streetcorner.

pic12

In the Capitol City the journalists and the TV Medias were invited to a press conference thist weekend concerning and explaining of the military presence in West River. The conference will be filmed and diffused directly and live by the 3 biggest TV stations in Simland. Everone in Access, Grasslake, Phlox and Valmore will be sitting in front of their TV screen that hour hoping to relief their curiosity.
John Gabber invited his friends Mike, Alex, Slye and Steve to his big weekend home in Grasslake for this occasion.

pic13

For our MD/CJ Readers this is the time to ask questions to Colonel Myers (not related to jmyers241 at all btw) about the West River military facility and its surroundings. So if you are curious and have one (1) solid and intelligent question each to publically ask the Colonel on that occasion (remember it is on Simland's TV live), do it right here and now. Every question will be answered by the famous WWII Hero and responsible for the military presence in West River right after his speech. So go ahead now.

I cannot mention everything that will be said on the live diffusion, but I will mention the most important parts of his speech that he will approach and explain. Form your questions after you have read the speech below , which might answer your question before you ask.

Colonel Neil Myers  is the responsable for the speech, excusing himself in the name of the Government and the Simland Army not have brought up this subject with explanations before, but he thought that it was only a very small incident  which wasn't worth mentioning. But as rumours made the population more nervous, Colonel Myers realized that the people of Access and the rest of the valley were seriously exagerating this simple situation, and before it will get out of control and to a point of panic, he explains in simple words what is going on at the West River location.

pic14

««"As the Hydroline workers discvered the rockskull village, some of them got somewhat sick within a few hours while being in the area. This was caused by a natural gaz called Porolium that comes from below ground in small quantities and is somehow nocif to our health. Although not very dangerous, the area was fenced in as soon as possible to prevent access to the general public not to put their health at danger unneccessarily."
Colonel Myers will also mention that the death of the two bridgeworkers in the same area are not related to this gas, nor the presence of the skullhuts which have nothing to do with the leaks from underground. This is just a simple coincidence of the location. The workers were murdered and transported there and the federal Police is taking care of the investigation. That is all he could say about this case. The skullhuts are in the hands of the best historical scientists and archiologists at this very moment, which they are analysing and hopefully present a detailed report of this magnificient discovery within the next year. The huts will be carfully dismantled and transported to a museum in the next years, the army has nothing to do with htis anymore. The army however will stay in the area as the Government has decided to create a new training base. The area seemed fine and just perfect for this purpose and a few hundred of acres are now in the posession of the military. As he said *The army is here to stay*.
The buildings constructed are the first the military living quarters and some simple storage hangars. The two towers were build to serve as external valves to keep the gas off the surface. It was necessary to build them as big as they are to make sure that the gases stay off contact with our environment. Further details will probably be released in the next years.

pic15
|«Ingame pictures of West River and the two towers will be shown with the next update.»|

Colonel Myers assured that there's nothing is to worry at all concerning the West River base. All the rumours that he heard are just rumours and nothing else. No underground mines will be constructed, this is not a Concentration Camp that will be opened, nor any aliens or spacecrafts have been discovered, the towers are not a scientific lab, no significant excavation is going on, no uranium was found and it will not be another area 51 nor a top-secret military base or green soylent factory he explained with a serious and emotionless face.
We came here because the Government sent us there to control the gas leaks before it makes any damage. This is what we did within a few days, controlling the leaks, then the Government decided that they needed a fourth training military base in our nation and the location was chosen to be West River, just a coincidence and nothing more. He then asked politely that the population shouldn't panic and imagine all kinds of things everytime they see something they cannot explain right away. The presence of the military in the valley will only be positive for the region's economy and give it complete protection. There might be some other constructions soon and maybe a military airport later, nothing to worry about and complicate the population's imagination.
Then he lifted his head from the papers in front of him, looks at the journalists and says: "Any questions? Please one by one" »»

Now is the time for you to come into the picture to ask the your question. Please make it simple and short. Colonel Myers' answers will be in the next update, very soon. There is only a short time allowed to ask your question, so please be quick about it.

When the speech was over, Mike at Gabber's weekend home stood up and got in front of the TV set, looked at his friends and only said this: "If you ask me.....it stinks, it doesn't smell bad, it  j u s t  purely  s t i n k s. That Colonel is hiding something and it is written all over his uniform. I won't buy this sh** at all!"

to be continued......

Happy Easter
Fred

CabraBuitre

Colonel Myers,  Bob Miller from the Highwood Register.

You mentioned that the public should not panic... but is that not, in fact, what the government and military has done?  Not only was the public not notified of this "gas leak" several weeks ago when construction began to take place at what now, I guess, will be a military base... but the local authorities here are quite good and should be given the opportunity to police the area.  Why did the government and military panic in this way?

Check out Abelfarei!

nedalezz

Johnny B. Badd indirectly takes down the head of police! Im sure he is proud of himself.

Another great update, a gas leak? Something seems a little bit shady.

frostwolf

Only one question, huh? That doesn't seem very realistic, given the press conferences I've seen, especially the ones after Three Mile Island. While I can accept the story the army tells as plausible, the press is going to scent blood in the water. But here goes anyway (and not as Gregory Badger, who would get a dishonorable discharge for asking):

"Colonel, if this is truly a gas leak, why is lethal force necessary to protect it? Your pilots have threatened to shoot down aircraft straying too close to the airspace. Given such secrecy, I think you can understand why we might be concerned."

danielcote

Lots of expansions are being made!

NASCAR_Guy

Are these towers there to harness the Porolium and harness it for different uses?
Show us what you look like http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=1142.0

Just call me Dave

mightygoose

colonel, why such expansive and robust shaft caps and elevator housings for a shaft pairing designed merely to acess and seal gas leaks, not to mention the confusing need for air vents?

mrbisonm

Update 44a  first responses at the press-conference by Colonel Myers

«« 
Quote from: CabraBuitre on April 04, 2010, 09:52:05 PM
Colonel Myers,  Bob Miller from the Highwood Register.

You mentioned that the public should not panic... but is that not, in fact, what the government and military has done?  Not only was the public not notified of this "gas leak" several weeks ago when construction began to take place at what now, I guess, will be a military base... but the local authorities here are quite good and should be given the opportunity to police the area.  Why did the government and military panic in this way?

"Mr Miller, there was no panic within the Army nor the Government ever. It is the population who presumed the worst and started panicking only a few weeks ago while imagining all kinds of things. We only wanted to keep the gasleak event as low as possible not to have the public panic. In the beginning the public was not notified of the gasleak because of its small importance, but now that the population of Access has been imagining, we needed to inform you of that too little and insignificient incident at West River. Maybe we should have informed you earlier, but what would the population have said when we would explain that a small amount of very lethal and poisonnous Porolium gas is leaking from the gound near your town? Before we would have the time to explain that this amount of gas can be found in factory where heated oil is used and that it would be most probably in a greater quantity.
Next question:"

Quote from: frostwolf on April 05, 2010, 07:49:44 AM
Only one question, huh?
"Colonel, if this is truly a gas leak, why is lethal force necessary to protect it? Your pilots have threatened to shoot down aircraft straying too close to the airspace. Given such secrecy, I think you can understand why we might be concerned."

"Only one question will be granted to everyone, otherwise we will still be here tomorrow. My youngest daughter has her birthday today and I cannot under no circumstances allow myself to miss her party this evening.
Myself I have not heard about these "lethal" threats to shoot down any aircrafts that fly over the area. Let's not exagerate anything please. Maybe some pilots did not like being redirected and their statements might not be based on the truth? I have given orders though to inform any passing aircraft to stay away from the area as long as we do not have the situation fully under control. You must know by now, that the Simlish Government does not take any chances on anything. Next please:"

Quote from: NASCAR_Guy on April 05, 2010, 08:52:40 AM
Are these towers there to harness the Porolium and harness it for different uses?

"The towers are there to protect the region from any further gasleaks. They will not be used for anything else, since we don't know yet if the Porolium ever could be refined for positive usage. When we will however, we'll let you know. Anyone else with a question?"

Quote from: mightygoose on April 05, 2010, 08:54:24 AM
colonel, why such expansive and robust shaft caps and elevator housings for a shaft pairing designed merely to acess and seal gas leaks, not to mention the confusing need for air vents?

"These towers contain immense sized valves that are connected and cemented to the splits in the baserock where the gas leaks from. The buildings had to be solid and of that size because of the valves and also we have preplanned the construction to withstand any earthquake or enemy's attack. The fans are there to have the lower floors of these towers aired and made breathable for the inspectors and workers that will be on maintenance of these valves, assuring a quick evacuation of the interior athmospere just in case of a leak."

Colonel is taking a nip of the glass of cold water near his pedestrial, looking around very calmly and asking with a satisfying smile:

"Any more questions?"»»

EDIT: anyone can ask questions, even the Lurkers....;)

NASCAR_Guy

Why would an enemy attack a container full of poisonous gas?

Show us what you look like http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=1142.0

Just call me Dave

just_a_guy

Is there a posibility that something could explode there thus leading to the construction of a long detour for the powerlines? I mean, that detour cost A LOT more money than it was supposed to.
Come and check out my BATting works at:

Just_a_Guy's attempts at BATing

mrbisonm

Seeing that there are not many people asking questions, you can now ask several questions. ;)
(not too many at once please)

Quote from: NASCAR_Guy on April 05, 2010, 12:16:25 PM
Why would an enemy attack a container full of poisonous gas?

«« Colonel Neil Meyers: "Attacking the valves could be an easy target for any enemies or terrorists. We do not know exactly the total quantity of the gaz below ground yet, but there's nothing to worry about now. The buildings are bombproof, so to speak."

Quote from: just_a_guy on April 05, 2010, 01:02:41 PM
Is there a posibility that something could explode there thus leading to the construction of a long detour for the powerlines? I mean, that detour cost A LOT more money than it was supposed to.

"No, Porolium is not a flammable gas, not even under high temeratures, so there's no danger of any explosions or fires.
The Powerlines were right in the pathway of the construction of the towers and therefore had to be detoured. No other ideal terrain for the powerlines were found in the proximity and that is why they had to continue building the lines several kilometers further away. Simple as this.

Any other questions? "