• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

The Winding River Project

Started by mrbisonm, March 08, 2009, 03:11:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mrbisonm

Thanks for participating with the press conference, that was interesting. Of course questions asked after can not be answered, because I myself have no idea what's going on either... ;) I guess you have to wait until the next meeting the Colonel Neil Myers.

MattyFo, I myself would like to know why two gigantic towers were built on the gasleaks, when they only mention a small amount leaking...hm?? And why that big construction site just beside it, wonder what that will be.

Rumours are (some people say so) that they found underground caves that are big enough to hold an entire city and in case of a third war, since we are in the era of the coldwar, they are developping this dark area to suit to simsurvival. The two towers are only the airshafts, resposable to bring oxygen below ground.......but then again, these are just rumours and another possibility of expaining them.

KoV Liberty, keep on dreaming, I personnally think that the area will never be open for public visits, unless I'm totally wrong.

Cyclone1001, what do you mean by "What has changed"?

scott1964, sorry for being late, but so many things are happening right now in the region, hard to keep everyone busy... ;). He will be back in the next update.

threestooges, thanks, glad you liked the press conference, it was something different I guess. Surely it will be good, Id say even excellent, for Slye, he will make a little fortune with this, maybe pay off his sawmill and have enough left to build himself that Fire and the Freight station.

I will be back a little later than I thought with the *Who Lives Where* topic, at the latest on sunday. We still have two more to do. I thought one more would be enough, but there are still 13 characters left to show where they live.

Here are ALL the most important Characters of this story sofar and their "Godfather*. If you're not on the list, let me know, I must have forgotten... &Thk/(
The ones in orange are still to come....

Robert Sweathers...........me
Terry S.Slye..................threestooges
George Troy..................me
Tony Racsan.................NASCAR_Guy
Guy Racsan...................NASCAR_Guy
John Gabber Sr..............me
Andy Dubold..................me
Mike Allheimer................me
Nethaniel Wellington.......danielcote
Riichirou Takahaschi.......just_a_guy
Barby White..................BarbyW
Steven Bartlett..............me
Diar MacGormain............TheTeaCat
Johnny B. Badd..............nedalezz
Joe Bean.......................me
Alex Puto......................KoV Liberty (driftmaster07)
John Gabber.................me
Gary Gabber.................me
Henry Gabber...............me
Helena Gabber.............me
Gregory Badger............frostwolf
Michael Arven..............mightygoose
Rundi Sterling...............me
Harry Wormwood...........MattyFo
Robert Yome................me (not yet introduced)
Charles M. Johnson......emgmod
Jordan Meaden............canyonjumper
George and Patrick Westwood.......CabraBuitre
Steve Gibson..............Cyclone1001
Paul Donovan..............scott1964
Richard Welder............me
John Gabber Jr.............me
Kyle Roberts................me
Tom Kohler.................RustyXL
Adrien McCoy..............me
Julie Olsen..................me
Ray Olsen...................me
Paul Hubert.................me

Of course other characters such as Charlie, John's wife and kids and all the other kids etc are not mentioned, because we know (or can imagine) where they live, right?

Fred

....Uploading the MFP 1.... (.........Finishing the MFP1)

Cyclone1001

By "what has changed" I mean why aren't they trying to pretend this doesn't exist. Doesn't the military usually do that?

KoV Liberty

Heh, you probably wont be wrong since you are making the story. :D Lol. Looking foreward to the newest update!

My new MD. Check it out if you wish.

Adrian, I miss you man.

danielcote

Nice! You finally got a list up.

mrbisonm

Quote from: Cyclone1001 on April 08, 2010, 10:54:04 AM
By "what has changed" I mean why aren't they trying to pretend this doesn't exist. Doesn't the military usually do that?

Who says they aren't putting you on a wrong route? Somehow they have to explain something is going on, with all those constructions, right?
I guess the military's situation handling is just working out fine as they want it.... ;)

Fred

Cyclone1001

Well, I'm still not buying what they are trying to sell... If you know what I mean.

frostwolf

I was talking to my fiancee about the design, and she made some good points that really got me thinking, and there's holes in this story big enough to sail an aircraft carrier through.

If these are just vent stacks, why are they so robust? If porolium isn't dangerous, why are such big towers needed? Why exactly are vent stacks needed anyway? We're told that the stacks are there because they don't want Porolium to have contact with the lower atmosphere. That tells me that the gas is heavier than air. But hang on a second. If gas is heavier than air, it sinks straight down. Now, you can disperse it, but how much needs to be dispersed and how far do you need to push it? Those stacks are huge. Also, why would there only be one leak of porolium anywhere along the entire coast? What's making it? Why only here in this one place?

As for caves: the site is right next to a large river, where any cave would be below the water table. Any cave down there would be filled with water, unless there was something actively pumping the water out while someone tried to build a structure to keep the water out. But caves near active waterways are usually dug by water action, and aren't, so far as I know, found underneath the waterway itself (without the waterway entering them). Rock is permeable, and water finds its way into everything. There are no hills close enough for such caves to exist and this to simply be a remote air scrubber station.

So I'm with Cyclone and Mike; I don't quite buy it yet.

Here's a question, keeping in mind the Cold War era times. Does Simland have The Bomb yet?

mrbisonm

Excellent statement and argument, frostwolf. What you have said is most logical and based on the facts that there are *big enough holes to sail an aircraft carrier through*, I suppose you got more than reason not to buy it yet.
I liked the way you made sense with the porolium being heavier than air and why the towers need that big of an airexchanger or need to be that tall. Maybe they aren't airexchangers?
Anyways, excellent post making a lot of sense. I myself am starting to doubt the honesty of the Colonel....;)

About the cavern being drowned by water because the river is so near is not quite right. Here in the area where I live is a river that goes right through a minicanyon and it has a 78 foot deep cavern going straight down about 150 feet away from thst river with only maybe 2 feet of groundwater in it. Where the water in there drains, no one seems to know, but the fact is that is does drain after a good thumderstorm having raised the level to several feet higher. So, that might be an exception, but also a fact.
I didn't hear of the Colonel talking that there were actually caverns. He mentioned some cracks in the ground rock that were leaking small amounts of porolium, enough to make the powerline workers somewhat sick.
Oh, and yes, Simland has nuclear weapons, most of them can be found in the Lakestead area, right in the valleys of the Goreland. A picture of Lakefield and its region will be shown with the very last update from *Who Lives Where*.

Fred

KoV Liberty

Is it any coincidence that nuclear weapons cause lots of destruction and blood and "gore," and the area thats its located in is "Goreland?" Lol.

Alex

Adrian, I miss you man.

mrbisonm

Quote from: KoV Liberty on April 09, 2010, 03:48:19 PM
Is it any coincidence that nuclear weapons cause lots of destruction and blood and "gore," and the area thats its located in is "Goreland?" Lol.

Alex

Yap, the giant valley is called *Goreland* (near Lakestead) where most of the "chimneys" are...........Coincidence.......lol ;)

Fred

Cyclone1001

"Chimneys"? Would this have a similar meanting to "Nuclear missle silos"?  :D

mrbisonm

Quote from: Cyclone1001 on April 09, 2010, 07:41:26 PM
"Chimneys"? Would this have a similar meanting to "Nuclear missle silos"?  :D

Right on. :) Well... I call them nuclear chimneys....  8-)

Btw, I am working on the last words for Saturday's *Who Lives Where* number 5/6 update. But it is 1:45 AM now, going to bed and finish it tomorrow sometime, don't feel too well, maybe a cold coming up? Hm ..... «looking for the aspirins»....

Good night

Fred

dedgren

QuoteEDIT: anyone can ask questions, even the Lurkers....

Where's the bathroom?

No, seriously- I read all 43 pages at a sitting last night.  This is great stuff, Fred- you are a fine storyteller.

David
D. Edgren

Please call me David...

Three Rivers Region- A collaborative development of the SC4 community
The 3RR Quick Finder [linkie]

I aten't dead.  —  R.I.P. Granny Weatherwax

mrbisonm

Quote from: dedgren on April 09, 2010, 11:14:05 PM
Where's the bathroom?

No, seriously- I read all 43 pages at a sitting last night.  This is great stuff, Fred- you are a fine storyteller.

David

The bathroom is through the third door on the left before West River, once entering, make sure to leave a trail behind.....so you can find your way out....;)

Hey thanks David for dropping in and flattering me. Nice to see you here. I feel honoured to have the creator of 3RR going through my pages....;)

Fred

mrbisonm

Who Lives Where 

Fifth of a set of Six

I had no choice to make 6 updates of the *Who Lives Where* series, there were just too many characters to meet. Here it goes with the one before the last of that series.

Today we're back in Access Center again, this time in the North-east part of it, where we never have been yet. This small extension of Access into the north-east is close to the "Dark Forest" as some call it, dense dark Evergreen mature forest. This is Government's land, no private has yet put hands on these terrains, mostly because they are not for sale at the moment and only small amounts of lots have been given away for building. I'm syre Slye would like to put his hands (or machinery) on these trees.......
Here we meet our first Mayor and Founder of Access Junction, at that time. He was Mayor from 1957 to 1962. Paul Hubert was the first elected Mayor of Access and the whole region and also the man that started the rise of Access Town. Today he is operating a small Transportation Trucking Company with four trucks that he himself and his two sons run. Born in 1907, Paul is now 58 years old and still giving some advice to today's Mayor Steven Bartlett, when asked for. Paul has still his wife Andrea and that since 1933.
Both live in this small home since he retired from Mayoring and the Garages were built at the same time, when he started his buissness of trucking.

pic1

Mr Hubert and his wife prefer the quiet country like type of life, living close to the famrs and the forest and taking their early morning walk down the road everyday to see some wildlife feeding on the forest's borders or in the fields.

pic2

Another one who lives in this part of town is our Adrien McCoy. We haven't heard much of him yet, but he's already well known at the municipal Office, defying very often the competence of Mayor Bartlett at almost every public meeting. Born in 1941, he is only 23 years old and already fanatically into greenpeace actions and a fullblood environmentalist. McCoy has predicted a great upcoming problem with the garbage disposal in Access last year, which Bartlett does not see as a danger nor a problem at all. Born in a little village in the Buff Mountain region,(check on Mainmap) he came to town when his father threw him out of his home at the age of seventeen, having had enough of his harcelments about the way he handles the environment as a logger. Adrien found himself a small job in the shopping Mall on maintenance and still works there.
He lives on the same road as the former Mayor, Paul Hubert, only a few houses down, in a small house that he bought himself with the money that he inherited from his aunt when she passed away some years ago.

pic3

McCoy lives very close to the Dark Forest and he can hear those strange sounds in the night that everyone is wondering about for years. Nearby also lies the only cemetary in town (below right)

pic4

Now let's go to the maintown of Access, the one that we know quite well by now, downtown. We know Julie Olsen as the daughter of Ray Olsen, the one who managed to have Lucy killed in the late fifties, fighting over the property that is today owned by Barby White. Julie has been taking care of the Olsen Pub by herself everysince. Born in Frampton in 1939, Julie is now 25 years old, happily married since two years and is awaiting a child later this year. Her husband, a young strong man from Bluebay, has its own Boat constuction Company in Sandom, building sporting sailboats. Julie is about to think seriously to sell her Pub either to Mr Wellington, who sees an opportunity for future buissness or to an organization from Lakestead who wants to implant itself in Access.

pic5

Julie lives alone at this moment in her upstairs appartment, seeing her boyfriend only on weekends. The Olsen Pub is well known and was the first Hotel or Pub in town, even before the town was a town, serving highway workers and Loggers. The buissness is still high and weekends have to be reserved to get a table. (sorry for the blacked out area, that will be in the next update)

pic6

Still in Access Center, we have heard once about the Westwood Twins from Reverant. Their father, the Pastor in Reverant has sent them to Access to get used to the daily chores of a smalltown church, where the Pastor of Access has gladly accepted the will of Mr Westwood. George and Patrick Westwood were born in Reverant in 1941 and are 23 years old. They work for the church and lives with the Access Pastor in an older big home right in front of the new Access church.

pic7

Although that they are twins , they are completely different. George is more of a romatic lovesearching fellow, looking for adventures and he also a big Basketball star back in the College of Reverant, while Patrick is the kind of more like a Genius, always thinking fellow, serious at whatever he attacks. Both have a separate room upstairs in the house of the pastor. (again sorry for the blackout, it will also be in the next update)

About the blackened out spots: I play faster than I can write the story.....lol

pic8

Now let's go to Frampton, a well known City far north from the Winding River Region. Here is where Paul Donovan lives, the fellow that comes visiting Access every weekend and runs after Access' skirts. Nobody really knows anything about him, except that he spends his evenings in the bars, hotels and pubs of Access with several girls in the last months and pays well the services he receives from the bartenders. Paul was born in Frampton in 1930 and is today 35 years old, not married yet and he probably has a Company there in Frampton too. Rumours are that he has a well going construction supply company in the city, explaining somewhat his money he spends in Access.

pic9

Donovan lives in a decent appartment building right next to the Albert Reinstein Park and the Frampton Cityhall and Highway 213, connecting the Capitol City, Frampton, Reverant and Beecherfalls and attaching soon the Highway 15 that will come up from the Winding River Region one day. Paul wants to live in Access some time, starting to look around for a good place to build a home.

pic10

Still in Beecherfalls, we will see where that Tom Kohler lives, the fellow that started a taxibuissness in Access and had it enlarge to the Kohler Buslines, supplying Access, Sandom and Bluebay with Bus services, running 8 busses now. Thomas Kohler, better known as Tom was born is Beecherfalls in 1938, making him 27 years old now. Still not married, he seemed to have found someone in Beecherfalls, where he still has his appartment and spends most of his freetime and the weekends now. He often takes one of his busses and drives home with it, parking it nearby his appartment in Beecherfalls.

pic11

Kohler started a one-car Taxiservice some 5 years ago in Access, has worked hard eversince and having made a lot of debts to lance himself into the bus service buissness, which seems to do alright these days. He is already thinking of widen his company and creating the first regional busline in Simland, that will send busses to every city and town one day. Tom still lives in a small very simple duplex right in front of a shopping mall in Beecherfalls and just like Donovan, he is looking for a nice spot near downtown Access to have his own house build one day. He still owns the taxicompany in Access with 6 cars and sometimes even drives one of them, loving the contact with the people from Access.

pic12

Now let's go back to Bluebay, but on the Bergen Island part of the region, where another not yet well known character lives. Charles M. Johnson is originally from Daloa, ILL, USA and moved to Bergen Island only a few years ago. He is somewhat of a dreaming writer having studied literature in his hometown. Charles was hired by Joe Bean from the Access Tribune and serves as a part-time journalist in Bluebay and Sandom for the Access Journal.

pic13

Born in 1945, he is only 20 years old now, living alone in small appartment in the Bluebay Suburbs on Bergen Island. Scared of water he never approaches the sea, which only a few steps away from his home. Young Johnson is shy, not talking to many people, the quiet guy type, observing how other people react in their daily livings and daydreaming a lot of his freetime.

pic14

That's it again, the last of this series is coming very soon and it probably will be the next update. Thanks for commenting. Have a nice weekend now. Be back soon enough, gotta make this MD worthwhile spending the month of April in the OSITM. ;)

Fred

danielcote

Nice update! i see things are changing fast.

KoV Liberty

Once again, great job! And don't worry about it not being worthwhile, it already is! Have a great weekend. :thumbsup:

Alex

Adrian, I miss you man.

RustyXL

Wow theres been some interesting stuff going on lately. These Who Lives Where updates have been really cool, it nice to know more about the characters. I guess the neighbors must be happy about Tom parking his bus nearby  :D.

scott1964

Nice to see Paul in his surroundings. If things get tough, Paul might have to put in a call for his man Hicks.  :P $%Grinno$%

penguin007

Lovely towns there and the railway looks great

Will