• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

The Winding River Project

Started by mrbisonm, March 08, 2009, 03:11:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

marsh

Sigh... I read this cj long ago when it was first starting out. I stopped... I really want to read it again so that I am caught up on the story and actually am more motivated to read current updates, but it seems like so much. :( I hope to get to doing that eventually. Eventually...

,marsh

mrbisonm

Quote from: marsh on April 22, 2011, 01:02:22 PM
Sigh... I read this cj long ago when it was first starting out. I stopped... I really want to read it again so that I am caught up on the story and actually am more motivated to read current updates, but it seems like so much. :( I hope to get to doing that eventually. Eventually...

,marsh

For those who haven't read most of this MD lately, there will be some difficulty understanding what's coming up in 3 or 4 updates from here. I have already started slowly here and there talking about the mystery of the Porolium Gas at the army's base and soon there will be more. The next update will come later this week and it will be somehow messing up some things, because.......anyways....

Let me be honest with you, there are actually two stories in one about this region, first the development of the region together with its habitants, including the characters of some of our readers, then the mystery surrounding the armybase, the porolium and the skullhuts they found, and this is a part which will occupy a lot of place in this MD soon. The mystery will become more and more intriguing for the Winding River Valley population.

Thanks marsh for having left a comment. ;)

Fred

....Uploading the MFP 1.... (.........Finishing the MFP1)

danielcote

Great update! Theres lots in it.  &apls

MattyFo

Nice update Fred!  I like how The Winding River Region is really devoloping well and is looking the a realistic region.

!!!!GO HABS GO!!!!

canyonjumper

Great update Fred! I like how the city just keeps expanding and getting more populous, great job!

Your friend,
                            Jordan :thumbsup:
I'm the one who jumped across the Grand Canyon... and lived.

KoV Liberty

My new MD. Check it out if you wish.

Adrian, I miss you man.

mrbisonm

Update 69

Monday, February 20th, 1967
                           Today on this date ... then:

1547 – Edward VI of England is crowned King of England at Westminster Abbey.
1835 – Concepción, Chile is destroyed by an earthquake.
1927 – Born: Sidney Poitier, American actor
1966 – Born: Cindy Crawford, American model
1988 – Born: Rihanna, Barbadian singer
1994 – Died: Burt Lancaster, American actor (b. 1913)

<< "Did you phone Jordi yet?" Charlie asked Diarmuid when he arrived at the small downtown Pub where the small gang often meets. "You know he said that he absolutely wanted to come with us next month and we all have to meet yet and get all the stuff together. Remember that it will not be a simple pic-nic.",he continued.
"I'll do that tomorrow and you better let know Cliff and the Westwood twin......ehhh, what's his name again?" Diarmuid looked at Charlie for help.
"Pat, smallmemo, it's Pat." Charlie responded with a harsh voice."You should train your memory a little, always forgetting everything. I bet you 2 Simoleons that you will forget calling Jordi tomorrow," holding out his hand to Diar, who told Charlie to just shut up and get the beer.>>

Charlie Gabber, John Gabber's youngest son and Diarmuid MacGormain are pals since they were 9 and 10 years old. Both went to highschool together and now to College and have developped since a friendship that's rock solid.
Together with Jordi (Jordan Meaden, the cartographer), Patrick Wormwood (one of the twins) and Cliff Dubold (Andy Dubold's son, former forman of the Highway 35 project when it started) they have planned a 17 day excursion through the Ganoga Wilderness (yellow lines) in the month of May. The reason is simple, to be together and have fun with an adventurous voyage through one of the few lands of Simland still not mapped. Jordan created a temporary map and together with Pat they have figured out the camp bases. (red) It was two weeks ago that Charlie and Jordie fle over the region with Charlie's father. They took a few pictures and created a "Travelmap". Together with Steve Gibson, they also have arranged several "Meetingplaces",(lightblue) where they will meeting up with the hydroplane on a certain day at a location where Steve can waterland. This will enable them to get materials and food needed to go on. It was a condition that John Gabber made simply to know if they're fine. A crankable army CB was also supplied by our veteran from Vietnam, Mike Allheimer.

They also got the permission from Mr Sterling himself (don't ask me how they did that though) to start off their journey from the Stoke mountain's other side, at the end of the Sterling road that leads right into the heart of his lands.(far left red spot on pic above) Sofar everything seems to be well organized, thanks to Pat Westwood who has thought of most of the details.
Diar, Cliff and Jordi are 18 years old, while Charlie is 17 and Westwood who will be more or less the responsable for the group, 26 yo. It will be fun , they all say.....

Our young writer (journalist of the Access Tribune) Charles M.Johnson heard about their plans, since the whole town is talking about it since a couple of weeks, and he asked them and his boss Joe Bean, the owner of the Tribune, to write a daily story about them in the Access Tribune. He will get in contact with them daily with Mike's CB. Young Johnson even thinks about writing a novel about this one day. He went to see the gang one day and asked for the planned map of their trip. All they had was the picture that Steve Gibson made from his airplane, then without the planned route.

««"I heard the siren this morning at the armybase, you know something about this?" Mayor Bartlett asked Riichirou Takahaschi when he met him in the entrance hall of the townhall. "I know that you live close to the base, you probably heard it too, right?" Riichirou, who now works for the town full time as the cityplanner and has his office on the first floor answered,
"No Sir, I am here since 7 AM, had some files to get for the new watertreatment plant before I go and get the terrain measured and I haven't heard no siren, but I heard that Kohler was close there this morning, he came to finalize his building permit for the new bushangar about an hour ago and talked about it with the secretary Lise Wend at the taxcounter."
"Thanks Riichi, I was wondering if someone tried to enter the base again like two years ago." Bartlett added before he left to climb the steps to his office on the second floor.»»

Yes, since last september Riichirou Takahaschi works for the town of Access full time, he will be the responsable for the town's developments as the official city planner. Riichirou lives on the Valmore lake now, where he bought himself a small home on the lake's side. He is the neighbor of Kyle Robert's (Police Chief of Access) weekendhome on the lake.

Tom Kohler, the owner of Access Taxi and the Kohler Buslines, who used to have his busline headquarters right on the other side of the road of the Access Tribune newspaper. Since the place became too small for his busses, he decided to buy a bigger terrain that became available behind the Gabber Park Sportshall. Here he just finished a new hangers to keep his busses for repair and maitenance and as a surprise to everyone in town, it became evident that he bought the schoolbus company also, and keeps the busses parked at the same place.

Kohler sold his gasstation to a young fellow from Bluebay and the land behind the store was sold to the town, where they want to build the municipal Garage to keep the town's machinery which are mostly parked in different barns all over town at the moment. They will keep the Garage that Kohler built to maintenance his busses and will simple add another one and a small office. Here's also where they started to clear the land that will hold the new Passenger trainstation.

In West River the siren blast was explained officially only as a test. Nothing is to worry about, Colonel Meyers announced. A test like this will be heard once every month or so from now on.
Many things have changed on the base, soldiers have been working like ants, the main-office buildings are finished, so are some new hangars. Also the deviation of the river was done and now new walls keep the river from turning through the base' terrain. Eventually the old riverbed will be set dry, drained and filled to gain new space for the army. They say that the airforce will come also one day. On the base there are more than 3000 soldiers stationed now, all working to build up the base. Porolium.....?? Nobody is thinking of it anymore.

Today a new independant municipality was officially founded, not too far from Access, but may be influental one day for the town and the region of the Winding River. It is called Winding River Outlet, a small town of 1,200 inhabitants or so  and is approximately 122 km (ca 75 miles) eastward from Access on the Revera Sea. The town was build where the Winding River meets the sea (see picture), right over the eastern hills of the Winding River Region. The small map shows the location of the new municiplity that runs along the great islands of the Pitch's Bay.
It might become a strategical connection one day with Bluebay in the south and Frampton in the north, if they will be able to build a highway and rail along the wild eastern shores. Only a road exists since 1934 in these areas which are slowly developping. If Access can connect to that town directly over the mountains, the distance both to Frampton and Bluebay will be amazingly reduced by one third.

(White framed rectangles on the map above indicate the regions that I am currently playing with. There will be a whole update to all the regions soon here. I will show all the regions and all the cities and towns that we talk about in this MD/CJ.)

Back in Access Center, it was the day of Public racing on Racsan's Raceway. People from different regions were present to see the opening of the raceway. It was free for all today.

Bagsfull of fresh food was found this morning on the garbage disposal site. Where did it come from? What a waste! The Police was asked to make a small investigation to find out the reason of wasting this fresh merchandise and where it came from.

Also today, some complaints were filed from the suburb residents for the chainsaw and the heavy machinery noise that invaded this neighborhood to cut down the last forest standing inside the town's limit. Soon many homes will be build here. Mayor Bartlett promissed the citizens that the noise will be only for one more week, giving the workers a chance to clear the land.
Strikers for the first time in Access' history were seen on the small road that goes through the wooded land, complaining of cutting the last "Green" in town. Environmentalists, they say they are....hm...never heard of them before.

The second elementary school in Access that the Mayor promissed, didn't take time to get build. Less than three month and the doors were opened behind the old shopping center.

Well, that was it again, hope you liked it. If you read it and like this to continue, leave a small comment, it only takes a minute and helps me to continue the story with enthusiasm. Thanks. Have a nice week.

The next time we visit the Ganoga bridges again and maybe are about to solve a mystery concerning the army. Mike found a newly written book from someone that got killed only a few months ago....connection? What's in that book that left Mike speechless? ....next week, or maybe this weekend.

Fred ;)

Reikhardt

Great update, a lovely town!

bat

Nice story and wonderful pictures! :thumbsup:

nedalezz

Another great update, which is expected from you :)

The story continues to develop, and it is a joy to read it every update.

How is Johnny B. Badd doing?

mrbisonm

Thanks folks, glad that there are still some followers. I will have another update soon, not htis weekend though, sorry.
Johnny B.Badd will be in the next update, so is Michael Arven, Wormwood and Vito.

The next three updates will be somewhat mysterious, the story will even get somehow confusing. Hope you will like the tension.... ;)

Have a nice weekend

Fred ;)

mrbisonm

I have been continuing to work on my utility models again. This time it will be a water treatment plant and it will be a modular set with several add-ons to come. The water treatment plant itself already exists, but uniquely on the last STEX CD. (I can't find a suitable picture of it right now)
I will take the same model and do some more detailed modeling and refined texturing on it. It will be the base set, let's say. Then add-ons will come with time.

Below are two of the add-ons that I am working on at the moment.
The first one is a water outlet to be placed near a river or lake, which can be connected with the tanks or the mainbuidling. Hopefully I will be able to place it partially in the water, so that the pipes' ends are somewhat submerged.
Still some modeling and details to do, also textures are to be refined. There will be a ladder on one side and two pillars that will support the "cement block" in the water.

The second one is more of a very big rivercrossing pipe, it will waterploppable, but the pipe will be above water. I still have to create the connections on ground on each side, some more details (electrical wirings etc)  and maybe also refine the textures. It should be on a 4x1 or 5x1 lot.

Ideas and comments are always welcome.

Fred

EDIT: Btw, I will also be busy doing some "Holland farmprops" for FrankU, maybe my first Nexis Prop pack.
You can see his farmworks here:

http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=9146.msg376699

FrankU

Hi Fred,

Your BAtting is beautiful! Thanks also for the publicity for my lot thread.

mrbisonm

Quote from: FrankU on May 08, 2011, 12:15:39 PM
Your BAtting is beautiful! Thanks also for the publicity for my lot thread.

Thanks Frank, and no problem for the publicity of your thread, much worth having a look at. ;)

Update 70

Friday, March 6th, 1967
                           Today on this date ... then:

1899 – Bayer registers aspirin as a trademark.
1992 – Michelangelo computer virus begins to affect computers.
1836 – Died: Davy Crockett, American frontiersman (b. 1786)

True, that the army base in West River has now a security system so sophisticated that not even a dragonfly would be able to enter the base withoput getting noticed. Only a small part of the base is open to the public and even then, one must have an important cause on hands to get through Gate Number 1. At the 2nd gate one needs a special permit to go on and at the doors of each building , only with a pass from the government itself you're allowed to enter. To get into the twintowers, well.......just forget it, only a handful of people have acces to this.

«« "Hmmm.... this is getting interesting," Mike Allheimer is thinking while reading this information above in a book that was written by a writer in Bluebay." I have to show this to John and all the others, maybe now they will believe me that I have always thought that there was something "fishy" about the army invading the West River so quickly three years ago."»»

Many things were said in the book, many with propositions, ideas and logical explanations and also some pictures, some of them from the base and the small rockhuts, but also a lot of speculations and maybe imagination were added. But everything was making sense to Mike now, having read this small booklet of only 300 pages.

Dropping the book on the desk of John Gabber's office in Frampton the next morning, Mike said to John:
««" You always have doubted me John, have a look at this and we'll talk about next friday at Barby's in Access, ok?"
John looked at the title *The 20,000 year old invasion of the Winding River Region* written by Gerry Hevlier, 1966 and looked at Mike, "Where the heck did you get that from? Gerry Hevlier was killed last week in Lakefield in a car accident."
"Read it and I'll tell you, it's not on the market, it was seized before it became public by the Simland Internal Protection Agency.(SIPA) Imagine.....just a few days before Gerry died," Mike told, "Coincidence???".
"Ok, I'll read it." John said with a worrying face looking at Mike and at the small book."I hope that this ain't a simple stupid idea from someone who wants to become famous quickly."
"Nodding positively his head Mike said, "Just read it, ok?"
"ok." »»
...and Mike went back to Access.

It is Monday in Access and all over one half of the world's territory. In the town most people are starting their week. So is Johnny B.Badd who bought himself an appartment block near downtown. It is most likely bought with illegal made money, but who knows...Johnny's buissness in Access is blooming, more people immigrating to both Access and Phlox, more drugs to sell and more income to cash in. Badd now has 3 Vendors in these two towns and still has the farmfield in Grasslakes with two more of his workers. We all know that he started a laundry buissness also in Access some time ago to launder his unlegal money and hide the excess income of his. He had to enlargen his commerce a little bit and hired two more people to occupy the Laundryshop. This is good for the town's economy he thinks, creating four jobs and maybe more to come. He is surprised though that his laundry shop seems to be working perfectly and more than expected income from the laundry is making Johnny nervous.

In Grasslake the politicians finally have been aggreed upon and as of June the 1st, 1967, Grasslake will become an independant municipality and will not be ruled over by the Lakestead County anymore. Grasslake's first Mayor was already elected and it is Tony Racsan who became it's history's first. Tony is the father of Guy Racsan, the one we know of as the former owner of Racsan Motors and Jetengins. Tony who is retired from Kent Engineering Co and Kent-Triton since 1961, lives everysince in Grasslake, where he owns an immense territory of land and all the most northern part of the lake. Tony is now 72 years old, but still in good condition and working his lands everyday. He is also one of the first members of the GEPS, the "Grasslake Environment Protection Society", which was formed 3 years ago and is there to protect the natural environment surrounding the lake, making him one of the founders.

Yesterday was probably the greatest day for Michael Arven so far, who finally finished his studies and was inaugerated into the Betzlinger Architects Offices in Frampton. As they will build a new regional office soon in Access Center, Michael will be able to return to his favourite town, making himself home in Access again. He of course loves Frampton where he was born and was raised with his father who is an accountant, and his Nanny Lizzy and where he studied architecture in the College of Frampton. Now soon to be on his own at 21 years of age, Arven can't wait to enter the world of Betzlinger Office of Architecture and show the world what he can do. The temporary office is situated in a small building (former dentistry) on Mainstreet for the time it may take to construct the new office near the Museum.

Young Arven is fan of Parkour skating since his childhood, his dream to master the double Kong has been kind of fanatic to him. Finding the perfect place for it in the town of Access, he spents most of his free time there. He is already kind of famous in Access, mostly in Grasslake, for the house plans that he has designed for Allheimer, Racsan and Gabber and some other wealthier families on the lake and in town. This is something the Betzlinger office knew and took avantage of to place him in Access.

Harry Wormwood finally got his new Cardealership build. He is now on the southern end of town with a bigger place, a new office, a small garage, but only a few used cars. He spent most of money recuperated from the old site to build the new buildings and pay for the terrain, which didn't come cheap either. Now he has to find a way to finance the cars and inventory. He also would like to offer some mechanical services, since Access has only very few mechanic's services available at the moment. Too much in debts, he won't be able to offer these services much for now, but one thing for sure, it will happen one day. More and more often Johnny B. Badd is showing up at his place, wonder why....have they become friends?
Harry and his wife Maria Torregrossa are both working on the site. He as the owner and the salesman and mechanic and she as the secretary and accountant. Their 3 year old son Aldo also spents a few days in the office, playing of course.

A big fellow in his early thirties arrived this week in Access Center, having bought himself a new home, quite a nice place I must say, near the town's Police station. Vito Scaletta is an italian born aviation engineer from Frampton. He was hired by the Access Airport Commision and Racsan Jetengines for his services as an engineer. He also will have his own office at the newly build airport, where he will work. Vito still has a strong italian accent and it didn't take long that the town got to talk about him. The 6ft4 man with his black curly hair and bulky statue is not someone easily missed, especially showing up at Barby's Pub every night after working hours, staying for a drink or two at the bar.

At the Ganoga wetlands, the bridgebuilding is slowly moving forward, having reached its first island. Alex Puto is busier than ever, taking care of the bridge's management and his new girlfriend in Phlox at the same time. Not showing up as often as before at the Biergarten on friday's afternoon with the gang anymore, he bought himself a boat now, which is stationed at his girlfriend's Boatservice on the Phlox island.
The bridge will be finished before time, they have estimated, which is quite pleasing to John Gabber and his office. If he finishes before time, Alex will be offered a raise by Gabber Inc, that is what privately John told to his friend Mike Allheimer the other day.

A small gravel road was created to access to upper lands of the Ganoga wilderness, the very first time that someone has access to the area by road. Some natural ressource speculators from outside the regions have investigated in this road it seems, some to find oil, others to find coal or other minerals, but for certain we only know that partially it is a governmental project. Iron core was expected to be found in the winding river valley many years ago, but none have yet been located. Of course any excellent find of ressources could mean the end of the wilderness refuge as many naturefans fear. Many people already have voted against the speculations of the area, but ressources are needed, are important and gives the Nation a financial boost. They say, **it is good for the economy. So what if the Ganoga disappears, there's other places like this all over Simland**.
I wonder if they will say that in twenty or thirty years from now without getting shot by someone.

And finally at 3:45 AM last morning a very loud crash was heart all over the valley. Some folks have seen a fireball falling from the sky behind the Stoke mountains and saw a yellowish light over the Stoke mountains, Some even said that an airplane crashed inside the Ganoga wilderness. But it was actually a small meteor that came down and hit the forest near some small hills just outside the Ganoga Wilderness in the Milton County. Early this morning Steve Gibson was delivering a few scientists to the site with his new helicopter, and soon after they brought back a small rock for further inspection. It seemed like the rock was the size of a house when it came down, but actually it was only a little bigger than a domestic washing machine or dryer. The damage of the impact though was considerate and even the forest caught on fire temporarily, but the humidity in the last days coming from pourring rain killed the fire quickly.
The studying of the rock will continue at the Lakestead Laboratories in the University.

Well, that was it again, another update. The next time the story of the booklet will continue, making too much sense to some and no sense to others, creating a deep canyon between the group that always gathers at Barby's on fridays. Also we hear about the preparing of the trip through Ganoga the boys are planning and an Access center's Police officer who got killed during a shootout in downtown.
Thanks for commenting.

Fred ;)

nedalezz

Another awesome update!

Johnny B. Badd is starting to grow it seems, and he seems to be making some wise investments, getting himself a really nice apartment. I like that he has started a laundry business, too. He seems to be an astute businessman!

A meteor, eh? I must say you have me very, very intrigued.

scott1964

Nice update. Where is Paul Donovon these days?

threestooges

Nice update Fred. I particularly like the story and pictures surrounding the meteor. You always have an eye for detail in your pictures, and the burnt trees and varying shades of scorched rock make a convincing crash site. Looking forward to the new developments.
-Matt

Cyclone1001

Very nice updates, there seems to be alot going on around Access. As always, great storyline :thumbsup:

mrbisonm

Thanks guys for dropping by, appreciated. ;)

There will be some more interesting adventures and going-ons in the next update, working on it att his moment. I also am creating some more new BATs.

Quote from: scott1964 on May 12, 2011, 04:19:53 PM
Nice update. Where is Paul Donovon these days?

Donovan will be in the next update, so will be Wellington, Badger, Kohler and Slye. Someone will die......sorry.

Fred

CabraBuitre

Wow, what twists...!  Things seem like they're rolling along and there's some normalcy... and then stuff starts falling from the sky!   :-\

Great update, can't wait to read more!

Check out Abelfarei!