• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

The Winding River Project

Started by mrbisonm, March 08, 2009, 03:11:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Will12

The plot thickens indeed.

EDIT: Welcome to page 75. 3/4 of the way to 100!!!

mrbisonm

***sigh***

....only 75 pages....and I hoped to reach a thousand by the beginning of summer. Ok, let's post, we still have a chance.... ;)

Fred

PS:... just kidding.

EDIT:  btw, what you have been reading lately is parts of Update 85, maybe some of you realized it that 84 is missing. The thing is that Update 85 is in 3 parts and it was written sometime ago. I am showing it now because I don't have the time to finish Update 84 at the moment, which is the visit of the *Chadelaine Island* region. Hope that it doesn't matter too much.
As soon as I have finished my MFP1 (Modern Farm Props) 3d models, which is holding me from making regular updates, I will continue with the Chadelaine Island and then back to "normal".
I have already Updates up to 89 written, only need pictures to finish them. ;)

Fred

....Uploading the MFP 1.... (.........Finishing the MFP1)

Lockey

&apls &apls &apls &apls &apls

I love it! right from the very beginning! Took close to two hours to read, but it was worth it. I like the idea of the oilfield, if you make bats on oil rigs I would love to get them. lol

Great Job Fred.

mrbisonm

Quote from: Lockey on April 04, 2012, 06:02:12 AM
&apls &apls &apls &apls &apls

I love it! right from the very beginning! Took close to two hours to read, but it was worth it. I like the idea of the oilfield, if you make bats on oil rigs I would love to get them. lol

Great Job Fred.

Glad you like it and welcome to WRP. Another poster is welcome.
Of course, I will be making some custom rigs for the oilfield planned in the region and all you have to do is ask, when you see something you like.
I don't know when though, because right now I am still working on the MFP1 set (Modern Farm Props)....

...and after that, the region will get its first gaz energy plant, which I haven't finished nor textured yet....

...but when the times comes, the rigs will rise in the Stoke Mountain area. Just keep an eye on this. ;)

Fred

Will12

Gaz Energy? Sounds exciting!

KoV Liberty

Those stacks look amazing. Keep it up Fred! :thumbsup:

My new MD. Check it out if you wish.

Adrian, I miss you man.

mrbisonm

UPDATE 85 C

"Ten Rocks"

After having told his secretary where he is going while taking along a Company's portable radio, John drove for 45 minutes on highway 15 down to the Wimmer-road project, following his forman in his own 4x4. When they reached the end of the new road, which was only a few hundred yards away from the "Rocks", he saw these massive grey boulders sticking out of the soil like trying to impose themselves and intimidate anyone wanting to get closer. John didn't believe his eyes and couldn't stop starring at them, they were all alike and the same size. His breath was very slow.

Only four boulders were partially disengaged and to be clearly seen, and they are supposed to be 10 of them as Al Baumer said, all totally identical and covering a distance of a little more than 80 yards. The forest is very dense here and trees are quite mature, making it hard to see how many and in what position they actually were, but once gone through that thick bush to the end, one could see that they are in a funnel like position, pointing north, and getting narrower again at the other end.
What are they, where did they come from, what are they doing out here, how did they get here, from where and are they manmade or just a natural wonder, isn't known at all? These questions went roaming in his mind while he slowly found the courage to follow Bauer to see them closer, looking up at them as impressive as they were, standing alone in a formation as if to warn the intruders. Slowly, very barely, the Dark Forest starts about here, getting thicker and darker the more we advance to the south-east.

At the fourth boulder John paused and pulled out his portable radio from his belt, making sure that it is adjusted to the right channel.

<<" Mike, are you on the radio?", he spoke into the company's only way of communication outside their offices. John repeated the messages about four times before he got an answer.
"What's up John, I'm listening, over."
"Where are you Mike? Over."
"I'm at Slye's, picking up those 350 red cedar 10x10's for the little bridge over the creek on the Wimmer road. By the way, I chose the 14 feet ones, Slye gave me the same price as the 12 footers. We can cut them to the sizes needed overthere. What's up John? Over."
"Have you been on the Wimmer road lately? Did you see the big rocks? Over."
"What rocks?" Mike curiously asked. "I haven't been there since yesterday morning, what do you mean by rocks? What rocks? Over."

John was still looking at the boulders, realizing that it wouldn't be easy nor logical to explain that to Mike on the radio if he didn't see them yet.

"How long you still got to be there before the loading is done? Over."
"Hey John, I only just found a transport truck with a flatbed, loading has not started yet....and guess what, you wouldn't believe it...it's a woman truckdriver. Over." ....making sure that John hears some of his little sarcastic laughs.
John didn't even hear that comment, being way too occupied with those rocks.
"Listen Mike, tell the trucker what to do and where to bring them and get your ass overhere as fast as possible, ye hear? Over."
A little concerned now himself, Mike responded very fast and loud.
"What's the matter, John, is there an accident or what, over?"
"No accident, but a .....," searching desperately for a suitable word for this situation,".....problem or... something at the very end of the Wimmer road, just get here....now, ok? Over and out.">>

John hooked up the radio back on his belt and turned around to examine the surroundings of the location more closely.

That last phrase on the radio sounded very serious to Mike of course and he took it as a direct order. Mike knows John too well, it must be very important and no time to ask questions. He went to see this woman truckdriver that he found waiting for a run in Slye's office, our Anne Bradley from Phlox and explained quickly what to load and exactly where to deliver it, making her understood that he wants it at the delivery site before noon today. Then he gave her the loading and delivery slip and left to see John on the Wimmer road, about a good 15 minute drive from Slye's sawmill. He left Slye's lumberyard with a dustcloud attached to his pickup truck.

Women truck drivers were not common in the sixties in Simland, seldom seen and Anne wants this to be done perfectly, because she knows that once a foot in the doors of Gabber Inc, she can be almost sure to get a steady fulltime and well paid job for a long time to come.

There will be more of this story in a day or so. ;) Hope you like it sofar.

Fred

rambuckel

Hey Fred, you are really keeping us in suspense ;) That's a pretty thrilling story ... hope to read more of the rock-story, soon :)
Angels can fly because they don't take themselves too serious!

jmyers2043

Do the stones lead to the Moor of Agony?  ??? 

I like your plop dirt. My dirt always looks fake.

Jim Myers  (5th member of SC4 Devotion)

mrbisonm

Quote from: rambuckel on April 05, 2012, 02:25:08 PM
Hey Fred, you are really keeping us in suspense ;) That's a pretty thrilling story ... hope to read more of the rock-story, soon :)

Glad you like it, more in a day or so.

Quote from: jmyers2043 on April 05, 2012, 05:13:25 PM
Do the stones lead to the Moor of Agony?  ??? 

I like your plop dirt. My dirt always looks fake.

I plop the dirt one by one click until it looks good, and sometimes I also mix in some x-small watertiles, very small rocks, grasses and other stuff here and there. Try it like this maybe. ;)

Fred

Lockey

&apls &apls &apls

Keep it coming Fred. the suspense is up there.

Gaz energy plant looks very interesting, I seen somewhere awhile aho that you had some pump jacks made. Think it may been on STEX. If you need some Images on Oil rigs.. Specially land oil rigs, have some personal ones when I was out west working on them.

Again Fred, amazing job.
Chris

mrbisonm

Lockey, you can show those pictures of land oil rigs in my BATting Thread, they will surely be appreciated later.
Thanks.
http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=7835.200

Please go back a few posts to read the previous small updates of this specific story again to better understand the follow-up if you have forgotten or read this for the first time. You need to know all Update 85's. The Story continues.

UPDATE 85 D

"Ten Rocks"

Meanwhile some workers have gathered around John and his foreman at the ten rocks, all discussing the newly found mystery. Al Baumer asked John if the loggers should continue to clear the forest around the rocks this morning. Only at this moment John realized the sounds of the chainsaws up ahead and told Baumer to go stop them right away.

John started thinking and worrying about that law that exists, not to interfere with archeologicals finds during any excavations and constructions and which is quite serious and strongly supported, especially by the regional and powerful Governor that he is a friend of. And then he realized that he and his company can get into serious problems with that specific law.
All this would probably mean a newly detour of the road will have to be planned before they can continue and this can take another extra  month or so. Only the studies will take a good three weeks, John is thinking, and what will he be doing with his men all that time. He will be most likely using the Wimmerteam on the Oil Company's road project on the other side of the Ganoga wilderness.
Problems, problems and problems, John thinks and thinks again. First the drainage pipes on the lower road have to be enlarged because the engineers didn't figure out properly the quantity of water in case of a big and powerful thunderstorm, he thought back. Then the road will have to go partially through those woods at the Darkforest, which is forbidden to fly over because of the technical disfuncioning of the airplanes and that somehow worries him and last not least, he has to get the gravel for this road project from all the way back from the Stoke Mountains, which is a good roundtrip of 2 hours for his trucks, just because the government doesn't want him to get the gravel needed from the lakeshores less than a mile away.

All of sudden a small but loud voice out of nowhere said:

<<"Maybe this is the gate for the Dark Forest. Hell's Gate? " A young worker was the source and other workers started laughing. John looked at him and said: "Don't tell me you believe in this nonsense also?"
"No nonsense, Sir. My Grandpa came here during the war, when they were looking for a lost pilot or someone. It was a secret mission, he said, very secret, because there were some strange things out here and they had been forced to shut up and not tell anyone."
John smiled: "What strange things, son?"
"I don't know, he never wanted to tell me, he said no one would believe him anyways.">>

John shook his head in total disagreement and disbelieve to the young man's comment. But only a few seconds later, all of sudden he remembered that it was nearby here, somewhere in the waters below that the old pilot Robert Sweathers crashed in 1942 at the end of the war and somehow survived for several years, until they found him at his homemade cottage near Phlox. Hmmm, that secret mission could have been..... him?....... Then John even got to dig further into his memories and thought of the incident when the pilot they discovered in that small hut near West River, was immediatly taken away for a health inspection or something by the army for a whole week, although he seemed in good health, that was strange....then. Has the army got something to do with his crash? Did they make him understand not to say anything about his crash and what he might have seen here? Is that the reason why they forbid us to fly over the area? What, what exactly the crash was, no one told us and.....wait a minute......what caused the crash in the first place anyways? They said he was shot down in the second world war? ....By Who????. No enemy planes were ever seen on the continent. Is Mike right that they are hiding something out at West River after all? Things are slowly making sense and seemed to be fitting just like a puzzle to John.

Whoa!!! He thought, let's calm down, so many things and incidents that are about driving him nuts, doubting now himself that Mike might really be right about his own doubts he has been having since the last four years. He looked up at the third rock again, then at the strange formation of the ones ahead of him and thought that this cannot be a simple coincidence of nature, no way....... but this is something done on purpose. But who and why? Mostly why, because who, John already had a good idea........

<<"Is everything ok Mr Gabber?" Al Baumer , his Wimmer road foreman asked in concern that John seemed to be completely empty minded for a minute.
"What,.....I mean Yes, I'm ok, just trying to think" John said." What do You think about this, Al?"
"Sir, what this is, we all have a different view and opinion of, but what's important now is that we are waiting for a solution and an order to go on. So, what have you in mind to do?" Baumer responded in a calm voice. John thought about it for no more than 5 seconds, then....

"Ok, Mike will handle this, meantime .........Damn it...." and John looked in serious thoughts in front of him at the ground,  "......just continue the clearing of the forest around those colossals, I want to see all of it by tomorrow morning. To hell with the law, we can always say that we didn't see anything while we were working on the road and that they can be lucky that we didn't blow up those rocks yet anyways. I'll take the responsability. You take the day off tomorrow, that's for the whole team here also, Mike will call you later tomorrow. He probably will stack you in with the Oilroad team for a few weeks while we try to discuss this with the government. Don't worry, the pay will not suffer from the day off tomorrow." John said while never leaving his eyes from the big rock they were all standing beside.>>

Another one tomorrow or on Sunday. I only got three more parts left of this story, hopefully being able to buy some time to finsih my rendering of the MFP1 Model set.

Enjoy. Have a nice weekend

Fred

rambuckel

Hi Fred,

I wish you a nice weekend as well :) I'm still very curious about the next part of the story ...

Theresa

Lockey

:thumbsup:

As the plot thickens.... Have a good weekend Fred... Happy Easter Everyone.

Lockey

lak47

mrbisonm

Thanks guys, comments are much appreciated. This story is becoming complicated now, more and more. There will be two more updates like this before we get back to the "normal" MD. Hope you like this variation though.

Happy Easter Everyone

UPDATE 85 E

"Ten Rocks"

It was an instant joy to every worker when they heard that they had a paid day off and they didn't mind working hard today to disengage the forest around the blocks of rocks before nightfall.

Only a couple of minutes later, Mike arrived in his pick-up truck that he was driving like a racy sportscar followed by a huge dustcloud that filled instantly the construction site.
"Holy Mackerel!!!!"  was the only thing he said with a vibrating voice when he came out of that dustdriven truck to meet John beside the big rock and realized the immensity of it sitting right smack in the middle of the road's path. It took him several seconds to clear his mind and get a full picture of the spectacular scene around him and asked John:

<<"What in Jupiter's name did they come from?" looking at the first rock."Are there many of them?"
"Ten." John said very dry and added, "Baumer said that he walked the area a bit and didn't anything else around these boulders, but there's still two fellows out there walking the area further up."
"Did they discover it this morning or last night?" Mike continued and started walking towards the first rock that he wanted to touch so much by now.
"Baumer came to the office at 9 this morning when he told me about them, but they found the first one last night, but didn't think anything about it until the Trailmarker walked into the forest to mark the trees for the loggers. He was the one to have told Baumer about the other nine boulders." John answered. "By the way, weren't you supposed to close the site last night?" looking at Mike and waiting desperately for an explanation.
"I had to prepare the papers for the Oilroad's gravelpit last night, while  Mr Sterling was still Phlox. He left early this morning to Lakefield and we need the gravel in two days. I didn't feel like driving to the Capitol to get the contract signed. And this morning I had to make sure that the cedar logs get to the little creek down at Reever's Point. They need them tomorrow."
Mike explained while he was about to reach out to touch the first boulder. "I gave the gate's keys to Baumer, he was to lock it last night, didn't he do that?." looking back at John, who followed him only three steps back to the first rock.
"I don't know, I didn't ask, anyways it ain't important." John mentioned.>>

John looked at Mike petting the rock's surface just like a cat, which gave him the notion to advance and feel its surface also.

Two hours of serious discussion started between the two later and everyone besides John and Mike, were gone, the construction site was empty and really looked like as if it was abandonned in a hurry. Both talked about the rock formation and its possible meaning and logical sense and they went right into the forest to meet the end of the rocks where only the loggers were still running their chainsaws to clear the site around the boulders.

<<So.... what are we going to do now?" Mike looked at John and waiting for a logical and serious answer."Blowing them up might get us into problems, you know, that could be another archeological find, hope you realize that...and why didn't you stop those loggers yet?."
"Noway," John started, "blowing this up is out of question, too large and too important. Besides it will be the talk of the week tomorrow and we will have the authorities on us by then. The loggers will clear all the rocks, then go home, I want to see those things all set free and clear."
"I guess we have to talk to the Administration Office in Lakestead tomorrow morning, right?" Mike asked.
"Well," John continued,"I will call them right away when I get back to the office and I let them know. I will also call the director of the Museum of natural history in Valmore to see where I have to report this in the region and give Joe Bean a ring, he might be interested in that story along with pictures for his Saturday Tribune before someone gets the crazy idea to hide this again. You will make sure that the team here will be added to the oilroad team near the Stoke Mountains, unless you could use them elsewhere. We will concentrate on that for the moment. I gave them a day off tomorrow. You can leave some of the machinery here, too many overthere will get into the way anyways. Also send the loggers overthere, after they've finished the clearing of the last boulder, they should be ready by nightfall, the way they bulldoze through the thicket. It should take a couple of weeks of planning and rerouting the road probably, and as soon as I get the new plans, we'll come back with the same team."...and after a deep breath John added, " Oh, and take pictures, as many as you can, from all angles. I've got to see my sons friend for his pictures from the Ganoga trip too later."

"They will surely not allow us to come back here, I wonder if the army will get involved again, making us believe that these rocks are dangerous for our health or are a menace to our security. I guess that they will find some Porolium gas here also." Mike added with a smile."
John nodded positively, knowing exactly what Mike meant with this comment,
"I have to go now, we talk about that later, but for now I got an appointment to cancel for this afternoon and make a dozen or so calls from the office. I also have to pick up the picture Charly and his gang made during the Ganoga trip, I'm very interested in that now. I'll be at the office all afternoon, ok? I'll call you. Bye." >>

On the way back to his Jeep, John realized that the loggers and workers have been busier in the last week than he expected, the road is way further into the area
than anticipated. That's excellent he thought, looking at all those immense logs on the side of the freshly graveled road that came out of these thick and dark forest. At least a stretch of 2 miles ahead, he thought. Then he thought about that comment of the young worker again. Could it be that this was actually a gate or something for the Dark Forest? If he goes by the aerial and topographical maps that the government gave him for the construction of the road, the Dark Forest only starts in about 3 miles from there, on the other side of the little river. John thinks about having a very close look of these maps later also when he gets to the office, but then......nah, that can't be, he said to himself out loud and continued to walk to his pick-up.

In the afternoon, John made his calls to the Administration Office in Lakestead, the museum, the archeological department of the Minister of Natural Resources, while Mike planned out a way to fit in all those workers that worked on the Wimmerroad project, 120 in all.
Early in the next morning, a military jeep was seen in the area, a couple of workers reported to Baumer, but never went down the road to the rocks, just as Mike predicted. During the day, the gate to the Wimmer road project was locked and Baumer had the job to open and close it when the machinery will be transported to the other site, also making sure that the military had no easy access to the site for the moment. Mike went to see if Anne Bradley brought the cedar beams to the right place last night and John was simply......gone. Even his secretary in Access Center didn't know where he went this morning.

<<"John, are you on the radio, come in." Mike tried to reach him with the Company's radios."John, are you there?" After several tries he looked at John's secretary and ask her, "Did John take a radio with him this morning?"
"I don't know," the secretary said, "Mr Gabber didn't come in this morning, unless he came before I arrived. He usually always leaves a note or calls me up when he doesn't come to the office, but I didn't find anything. Should I call try to call his home?"
"Yes, do that Katy, I will go into his office and try to reach him on the radio again. I have to talk to him absolutely." Mike picked up the radio and left to John's office where he tried for the following 5 minutes to reach him, then the door opened and Katy came in and said:
" I called home and they said that he left very early this morning before dawn in a rush, kinda looking nervous and eager, his daughter said. And I counted the radios, not one is missing, so he didn't pick one up this morning, but the old orange pick-up is missing this morning in the court. I wonder where he parked his car though."

Mike reached out the radio and said at the same time while leaving the office,
"I know where he is." And that was it, Mike was on his way out.>>

I'll be back soon again. ;)

Fred

Lockey

rambuckel

That's such a thrilling end again ;) Looking forward to the next part ....

Will12

Da da daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa! Exciting finish I hope!