• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

BAT Showcase

Started by mattb325, February 01, 2007, 04:07:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cammo2003

Wow.

Just... wow.

Between yours and c.p's excellent homes, the Maxis ones look very sorry indeed.

mattb325

To answer the questions:

joelyboy911: the 'cottages ornee' is a reference to the original 'ferme ornee' and was popularised by Loudins pattern book in the 18th Century which had detailed plans for country cottages, farm buildings, estates, gatehouses, dairys, inns and the like - these were all highly romantic and drew from many architectural styles. But, despite being "ornamented" these farm buildings were still intended to be practical - how this became 'ferme ornee' to 'cottages ornee' is the notion of a farm building being visible in the round (ie from all sides) and this was transplanted to suburban cottages and bungalows in the 19th/20th century by use of many gables and projections which didn't necessarily have to be at the front of the cottage; the sides and the back of the building can have just as much visual intrest.

SimNation: yes I will be making more terrace houses - in fact, I actually intend to revisit the very first set(s) I made to polish those up a bit

SC4BOY: the Bathurst St Station has a large coverage radius and is able to combat the crime in mega lots. I have looked at small police stations and we have many here that are W2W which would probably fit that bill.

To everyone else, thankyou for the lovely comments, much appreciated. As indicated, I was going to post some more pictures of homes as they grew:

Californian craftsman style - R$ limited only to corner allotments

Minnetonka: a small, but very elaborate Queen Anne cottage with multiple angles gables and so on. Also seen is the large English Tudor revival (ortho version) in the second picture

The radcliffe - a typical colonial revival; actually a very common house type in the US, but not too many versions made for the game....

The Connecticut - angled and ortho versions shown. Has complicated gabling along the side of the house in true cottage ornee spirit. Also in the last photo is the Hickory - a very popular style of cruciform on plan home

The Ortho version of the Kimberly

The Texas - georgian lines and sensibilities, this was quite a large home for its day. Offered in two versions, both R$$$

Most so far have grown (I have only limited time these days to actually play the game). There are a couple of others (I think) which will bring the set to aproximately 35 new houses and 70-odd new lots which, I hope will ensure your suburbs have a lot more variety....

JBSimio

These are great, Matt!   &apls

I always seem to have a little gap between CP's 19th century houses and your more suburban sets... these should make the perfect transitions between the two.  I'll definitely be watching for them and thank you so much in advance!

JB

Never trust a god who grins all the time and wears a top hat, that's my motto.  -Terry Pratchett

It's from JBSimio.  Need we say more?  -BadgerBoy of SC4 Devotion

joelyboy911

Ok, thats very interesting. As I say, I'm very much looking forward to the day I see these on the LEX frontpage. Excellent BATting.  &apls
SimCity Aviation Group
I miss you, Adrian

Jack_wilds

Hello Matt, Jack wilds here...

These are really awesome, you have captured a real sense of residential variety... like the lotting, colors and the details... so then is there a good craftsman/mission ranch I could move into? anticipating thier release and thanks ahead of time

see you around the neighborhood,

Jack

tamorr

Looking good... I really like the first one, the texas-georgian, and the Connecticut ones. I really have to agree that it is a nice addition well needed.. :)
  "It is wiser to think about your actions before doing them, but be warned One must act quickly before another takes action for you."
  "Knowledge may be Power, but it is how you use that Knowledge that makes One Powerful."
  "I am a Philosopher, Punnist, Poet, and Rambler so keep in mind I think ahead and backwards to point where communication is sometimes not completely understood, even if Enlish is my primary language, it doesn't mean I know it well N proper."
  "Always do your best to acheive your goals and Dreams one at a time."
"Patience is a virtue."

CabraBuitre

Hey Matt, those houses look good... especially the last couple!

I'm having an issue with your Eastern Hill Fire Station.  I've got it plopped and, though it is completely funded, I keep getting these "low funding" notices.  Has anybody else reported this?

I haven't tried to replop it to see if this fixes it... but it hasn't been updated since I DL'd it.

Check out Abelfarei!

mattb325

Thanks everyone! I packaged the BATs last night (all 35 models) and it's off to the scruitineers to make sure I have packaged correctly...

CabraBuitre : I haven't heard any reports of the fire station causing the slider bugs, but in my time I have had other fire stations from other creators suffer the bug when I have deleted a particular fire station file from my plugins without first bulldozing it from the city: any missing fire station/police station etc, etc will cause all others (including Maxis) to slide to zero...at first guess that sounds like it could be the issue....

SimNation

Cannot wait til this set is complete and released. Looks fantastic so far.

serebii666

They're beautiful!! It looks like they could fit into any suburb; from Greenwich to Newport to New York to the Valley. Bravo! :thumbsup: &apls &apls
"If Kyle has 3 apples and is shorter that John who has 7 and if John is taller than Jenny who just graduated from Harvard, how old is Karen?"

><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><

jimbo_jj

More houses by mattb325? I love it! I have most of your other house BATs and these look like they'll be a great addition. :thumbsup: Can't wait to see them on the LEX.

-James
Coming Soon to SimCity 4 Devotion: Alterren: The New World City
An MD by Jimbo_JJ

Henry Midfields

Hey, great to see some new updates. Those houses look lovely; they'll fit suitably within any suburb in an English-speaking country! :thumbsup:

Sciurus

Magnificent Matt, congrats!! &apls I love those houses snce you do it!

Guillaume :thumbsup:
L'atelier d'architecture
* * * * * Longwy * * * * *

rushman5

This i probably the most worthwhile thing I've downloaded this season.  I am loving the detailed, yet simple designs and architecture of these houses which have been overlooked for to long by creators!   &apls :thumbsup:

SC4BOY

Quote from: mattb325 on September 11, 2009, 04:10:07 PM
SC4BOY: the Bathurst St Station has a large coverage radius and is able to combat the crime in mega lots. I have looked at small police stations and we have many here that are W2W which would probably fit that bill.

Great news!! I don't recall that being mentioned in the doc's directly..I know that its "revealed" in that list of numbers you so kindly put in the docs, but ya gotta hit some people on the head a bit as they may not understand the wonders those number reveal..  :D  (not that its a biggie) but its such a wonderful feature, it is certainly worthy of mention.. at least on the "dl page" .. :)

GREAT WORKS.. you've certainly earned your way into the premier SC4 artists..

mattb325

Thanks everyone...

As many of you have guessed, I have started uploading the cottages ornee - the main file is here: http://sc4devotion.com/csxlex/lex_filedesc.php?lotGET=2202. I'm about half way through and am just taking a breather from installers and read-mes  &Thk/(

But, in the mean time, I have taken SC4BOY up on his request for more suburban police stations which may well fit in with these cottages....

This one is modelled off Pittsfield New Hampshire:

I will likely make a fire station and some other civic buildings as well - I also saw JBSimio had a "community centre" in his MD which gets the brain ticking over - I'm thinking something oh so Stepford perhaps.... :D

Girafe

Your work is awsome mat very nice job  &apls &apls
The Floraler

This is the end, hold your breath and count to ten, feel the earth move, and then...

*   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *    *   *   *   *   *    * 

tamorr

Oh very nice... Definately a match up to the style of the houses you released. :)

I'll enjoy DLing em' all since you do make some pretty good stuf like the rest here. :thumbsup:
  "It is wiser to think about your actions before doing them, but be warned One must act quickly before another takes action for you."
  "Knowledge may be Power, but it is how you use that Knowledge that makes One Powerful."
  "I am a Philosopher, Punnist, Poet, and Rambler so keep in mind I think ahead and backwards to point where communication is sometimes not completely understood, even if Enlish is my primary language, it doesn't mean I know it well N proper."
  "Always do your best to acheive your goals and Dreams one at a time."
"Patience is a virtue."

rushman5

I really can't wait until all of the new homes are released, it keeps me coming back to the LEX every 6 hours or so.

I also love the fact that you aren't uploading in one large pack, it really lets us have some initial control over which homes we want to grow, and gives a lot of flexibility with our plugins folder.

It doesn't matter as much to me as i am downloading all of them anyways, but I like the idea fr sure.

Keep up the excellent work!

hooha47

These houses are outstanding, just what the game needed.  Thank you for sharing your talent with the community. &apls &apls &apls
"If you want to have cities, you've got to build roads." - Cake

See all my lots on the STEX
And see my parking lot projects thread here and my mayor mode ploppables thread here