• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

BAT Showcase

Started by mattb325, February 01, 2007, 04:07:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FromTheAshes

Very nice station, even if it's a little bit small :P Useable, anyway ;)
Visit Vorsfelde.

EDGE4194

Great station Matt.  &apls  We need more variety of stations, and am looking forward to seeing this released ( &hlp )

rooker1

Very nice looking rail station.  Great work, I think it looks very realistic.  I also look forward to it's release!

Robin   :thumbsup: &apls
Call me Robin, please.

cammo2003

I love the look of this station. I'd love to see a slightly longer version of this station. (4 to 4.5 tiles worth of platform IMHO would do the job well - I tend to work on the assumption trains are between four and eight cars long, and tend to select my stations accordingly. I think of the trains in terms of Sydney sets usually, ie that one group of four cars is a "set", and try to use stations that fit at least the equivalent of one set.

I absolutely love the look, though. You're an absolute natural when it comes to stations. BTW, you've captured alot of the feel of the actual station with all the foliage around it in those shots. There's actually a lot of foliage around the building end of the station (at least there is a fair bit on Google Earth).

rooker1

cammo2003 makes a very good point about the length of the platform, I had never thought of that before.  Maybe it should be longer.  I think I will take that into consideration when I DL my stations from now on.

Robin  :thumbsup:
Call me Robin, please.

jmyers2043

Hi Matt - as always you do wonderful work. I like the small details (trim around the windows, the round gable vent) as they bring the budling to life. The brown brick texturing and the shingle roof textures look good.  The corugated texture over the platform on the opposite side of the tracks looks good which brings up my question of why you choose to use a rusty corrugate on the station side? I'll definately download this when it is available. Thank you for your effort.
Jim Myers  (5th member of SC4 Devotion)

mattb325

Thanks guys for the comments and feedback

Regarding the length of the platform - it is 3 tiles wide to match the Maxis platform prop (from the grand station reward). The lot is 4x3, but lot makers could make it 3x3 for more urban applications if they so wished. The standard Maxis station (uggh  &mmm) is nowhere near as wide

I must confess that I am not a train person, and Cammo2003 you are right in that Sydney trains are 4, 6 or 8 cars in length. But, this train station in RL had a short platform and when you are on this train you are told to sit in the front two carriages if you wish to alight at stations further along the line (the station of Linden for instance) as their platforms are even shorter! ::)

The reason I did not make this platform any longer was that I like a variety in platform lengths/train station styles to suit different applications in SC4 and other batters before me have made stations that are 6 tiles long or 3x1 or 7x5 etc, etc.

When making this station the style I wanted to evoke was an old outer station (hence the brick and mission brown versions) which was both semi rural and suburban at the same time. Something that could be used in a suburb or a smallish town...

Don't worry - there are so many beautiful train stations in Sydney each with a different feel; some are on my 'to do' list - for instance, take a look at this Station in Chippendale - built merely to convey the deceased. When I bat this, it will have a larger width...it's all about the purpose that the Bat will perform.

cammo2003

Quote from: mattb325 on May 02, 2007, 05:23:26 PM
Thanks guys for the comments and feedback

Regarding the length of the platform - it is 3 tiles wide to match the Maxis platform prop (from the grand station reward). The lot is 4x3, but lot makers could make it 3x3 for more urban applications if they so wished. The standard Maxis station (uggh  &mmm) is nowhere near as wide

I must confess that I am not a train person, and Cammo2003 you are right in that Sydney trains are 4, 6 or 8 cars in length. But, this train station in RL had a short platform and when you are on this train you are told to sit in the front two carriages if you wish to alight at stations further along the line (the station of Linden for instance) as their platforms are even shorter! ::)

The reason I did not make this platform any longer was that I like a variety in platform lengths/train station styles to suit different applications in SC4 and other batters before me have made stations that are 6 tiles long or 3x1 or 7x5 etc, etc.

When making this station the style I wanted to evoke was an old outer station (hence the brick and mission brown versions) which was both semi rural and suburban at the same time. Something that could be used in a suburb or a smallish town...

Don't worry - there are so many beautiful train stations in Sydney each with a different feel; some are on my 'to do' list - for instance, take a look at this Station in Chippendale - built merely to convey the deceased. When I bat this, it will have a larger width...it's all about the purpose that the Bat will perform.

I do think you've caught that feel quite well, and it will still find a place in one of my regions, somewhere (probably at a dot of a town out in the sticks around a windy section of track where a short station is needed).

On Emu Plains station: It actually is a reasonably long platform (minimum 6 cars long, I'd say). Looks so in Google Earth, anyway.

You've got the platform width right to me, though. The carpark is perfectly judged:

"Oh, we'd better put in a carpark, hadn't we? We'll just shove a few parking spaces in front of the building, nobody'll care."

As for the new post:

Ah, the mortuary station! Would you believe I have the *perfect* place for that? My current region's main cemetery actually has a dedicated rail station near the main gate.

scorer

Hey Matt,

the train station looks stunning and will fit into many different city styles.

But how do passengers get over to the second platform across the building? There seems to be no under/-overpass, and at least here in my homeregion crossing the tracks is strictly forbidden.

Shadow Assassin

I wouldn't mind seeing Epping station being BATted. It's kinda unique in that half the station is underground. It could make a good rail - subway transition.

I think St. Leonards and Chatswood are the same in that respect.
New Horizons Productions
Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dedgren ♦ dmscopio ♦ Ennedi
emilin ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦ papab2000
Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine
See my uploads on the LEX!

bat

That is a fantastic rail station! :thumbsup:

cammo2003

Quote from: Shadow Assassin on May 03, 2007, 08:56:44 PM
I wouldn't mind seeing Epping station being BATted. It's kinda unique in that half the station is underground. It could make a good rail - subway transition.

I think St. Leonards and Chatswood are the same in that respect.

Actually, Chatswood is all above ground, and has two island platforms (one of them of course isn't in use yet).

The design of the station means one of the islands will be the Up Island, the other the Down.

Epping station is an unusual design in that it has an underground transfer concourse. All in all, they knew what they were doing when they designed it. Obviously the idea is for it to be able to handle large pax loads when the Hills line is pushed through.

(I'm pretty sure that "up" generally refers to the City-bound direction, just for reference).

(I'm guessing that gave away that I've got an interest in the stuff.  :-[ )

Zaphod

a station for dead people? weird

the light rail system in Edmonton has a never-completed station connected to a jail. They were going to use special armored rail cars to move prisoners in and out of the facility

War Kittens !?

Shadow Assassin

QuoteObviously the idea is for it to be able to handle large pax loads when the Hills line is pushed through.

Seriously, the dumbest thing the government could've done was close that tram line to Castle Hill. That would've solved much of the transport problems currently plaguing the Hills.
New Horizons Productions
Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dedgren ♦ dmscopio ♦ Ennedi
emilin ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦ papab2000
Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine
See my uploads on the LEX!

cammo2003

Quote from: Shadow Assassin on May 14, 2007, 02:30:44 AM
Seriously, the dumbest thing the government could've done was close that tram line to Castle Hill. That would've solved much of the transport problems currently plaguing the Hills.

Yeah, it wasn't the smartest decision.

The Queensland Government's decision to close the original Gold Coast Line was even dumber - it went right into the heart of the coast - there was a terminus at Southport.

Thankfully, there are plans to link that part of the coast in to the rail system with a tram link. If anywhere needs proper PT, it's the Gold Coast.

mattb325

Thanks guys - by the way, what's a pax load? ('pax' to me is latin for 'peace', but I'm assuming it has taken a different meaning here)

Anyway, a quick departure from the trains for a brief moment.

A lot is going on with the BSC pushing the boundaries of the game: therefore, new things will be needed. One of these is more highly evolved farms. If you look around areas like the UK, France, southern Europe and Australia, some of the most established industries are in fact, farming 'Estates'. Grand homes owned by generations of the one family working the land...

Australia has its fair share as well:

Lake house (on the outskirts of Sydney) is a very deft and balanced Greek revival example:

Test lots in game

Killymoon in Tasmania; an amazing example of the Irish Georgian (the features on this will also assist with Sydney's mortuary station):

Front

Rear

Vario80

Brilliant stuff.  :) I like especially the mansion on the last two pics, it has really such an antique cozy atmosphere (hard to describe it for me in english ;))
Avatar: Atlantic Hotel Sail City- The new landmark of Bremerhaven

GrizzlyBuilder

So are you doing the chippingdale station?  The farming estates look wonderful!

jacqulina

awesome mansions are you going to be uploading them,the detail is amazing

cammo2003

Quote from: mattb325 on May 20, 2007, 01:40:29 PM
Thanks guys - by the way, what's a pax load? ('pax' to me is latin for 'peace', but I'm assuming it has taken a different meaning here)

Pax is frequently used also as shorthand for "passengers".