• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Need Help!!

Started by ncrawman, June 10, 2008, 11:46:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ncrawman

Hi I am ncrawman, and I am very interesting in making custom buildings, and lots for SimCity 4.
I have a lot of good ideas that I want to do. For example like an NFL Stadium Pack, a Court House Pack, and etc. "LOL" I really don't know what to do, but what I am tring to do is this!!
I start by getting my models from Google 3D Warehouse with Google Sketchup Pro. I then export my model into a 3ds file. I then imported my model in gmax and BAT, and this is where I am stuck. I need to know what to do from here!! How do you get a model from BAT to SimCity 4??

Please Help!!!!!

Thankyou,
ncrawman

sam

Um... I think (hope) most people start with BAT by creating their own models, rather than downloading pre-made models from public archives.

Having said that, I downloaded a couple of free to use models about a week ago, so I could practice texturing them (I like colouring in stuff and had some nice textures and nothing to put them on) but got stuck because the models are modelled as one object and often were only half complete in my view (eg no windows along the back). My BAT skills aren't really good enough to deal with that. The texturing is fun though, but I would never consider them for upload as I didn't create the models.

Many archive models have specific usage agreements that you will need to abide by, and sites that you might upload to will have their own policies on the use of such models and there are expectations in the community as well about original content. You would need to ensure you comply with all of these if you wish to share what you create.

After that I guess its just matter of texture, export via BAT plugin, then Plugin Manager to make the descriptor then Lot Editor to make the lot. Then testing, testing and more testing. There are some items in the help section of the BAT, and I think there was a tutorial or some instructions that came with PIM. Lot Editor has its own user guide with lots of info.

I suggest reading lots of tutorials and forum posts. Phillippbo wrote a BAT essentials tutorial that is very useful and is available on the Simtropolis Omnibus. Deadwoods had a creating custom content guide that is excellent and essential reading. There are also lots of other tutorials in the tutorials section here. The best idea is to read through them, have a practice, read some more and ask questions if you don't understand something.

I'd really suggest making your own models in gmax though. You don't have to go through all this importing 3ds stuff and its your own original work then.