• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Siilijoki

Started by noahclem, December 07, 2010, 06:41:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kergelen

Another great update with many things to see! &apls &apls
Fisrt I'm delighted with the snow pictures.
Second, I like the tram and rail system.
And third I love the pictures 22.13 and 22.14 with the reloted walls and the bar and liquor stores. :)
And finally the region shot looks great :thumbsup:

Links to SC4 websites

Dantes

Marvel at the many different beautiful pictures.  :satisfied: Wow. :o  Your railroad lines are playful and impressive.  :thumbsup: I like your design of the surrounding railway stations of the lot. I like image 22.13.  &apls  &apls  &apls

benedict

Congratulations, your CJ is number one on Ben's Top Ten this week!

(And thanks for the tip about the +/- button - very helpful!!)
Click on the banner to celebrate!

Jmouse

Noah, you have certainly done your plans justice and then some! Your transport map is both awesome and informative. Actually seeing a workable route laid out helps to show the planning that went into it and the logic behind it.

22.1 is a beautiful night shot, and it is interesting to know the purpose of the layout. You knew way back then where you were headed with this, didn't you? I see some lovely scenery in the next two, and the train and tram in 22.3 looks good. Was that a lucky coincidence, or did you have to wait for it to happen?

The overview in 22.4 tells me a lot about your thought processes when you planned the rail layout. What you did makes perfect sense, and you even made it seem simple to figure out!

More beautiful scenery follows, and I love the change of seasons. Of course, 22.9 speaks to my interest in light and shadow. I can count 22.10 as another favorite for both the composition and the realism.

Then there's another change of seasons, and the rest of the photos are pure eye candy. You chose a great night shot to top it all off, too.

I like all your updates, Noah, but this one is outstanding...
-Joan

Nanami

rambuckel

Again those pictures are marvellous! So many different scenes and so many different types of scenes. Just great! There's only a few players who are able to present urban and rural areas in such a consistent quality!

At least those shots just from the snowy woods with the train in between ... just beautiful! I love those kind of shots!

Theresa
Angels can fly because they don't take themselves too serious!

Framly

What a great month in Siilijoki! The last Update is very unique! The winter-shots looks so awesome!

A well deserved OSITM :thumbsup:

Keep up your fantastic work &apls

-klick-1st Anniversary Video-klick-
Part of SFBT and RFR Team

Skimbo

Just great!

You're mixing trainskins and rail traffic just the way I like it =)

And a very good use of the japaneese shoppingmall-station!
The Dragon Island Cities journal at SC4Devotion

For a Dragon Islands video click here

noahclem

Hello again friends, acquaintances and strangers  ;D

Spring break, or ski break as they call it here, has begun and work is a bit crazy. Fortunately for my OSITM, I miraculously foresaw this occurring and prepared a whole extra update and an area primed for photo assembling, so my last week will be an active one.

For today I've assembled a few random shots:

First, let's go back to the North Pohjanmaa Central Station

A lot of you have been requesting more "under construction" pictures. This is my most recent interchange project--off to the right is the bridge across the Siilijoki River to the city center and some distance above the picture would be the Tunturikyla ski resort and North Pohjanmaa.

We'll get back to this soon to better explain why it makes sense. The mountainous terrain here has forced some creative solutions. Picture taken from North Siilijoki Municipality.

Don't forget about the "Name Noah's Reindeer Friend" competition!  "$Deal"$
QuoteLet the "Name My Reindeer Friend" contest begin! You may choose any name you like and recommend that others vote for the name you suggest. I will list the suggested names along with a vote tally as we go along. Votes will be weighted by the number of replies here this month, so every time you reply you cast an additional vote for yourself. The winner of the contest will receive:

1. They're own home in Siilijoki, in the location of their choosing.
2. A political, geographical, or transportation feature of their choosing named for them.
3. An all expenses paid vacation to Siilijoki (in your mind)   $%Grinno$%

Our lone submission so far is "Willy" by ThreeStooges, while Jmouse has made suggestions but not finalized her decision to my knowledge. I've been meaning to amend the rules as well: anyone whose vote wins may choose one of the three rewards, so there is an unlimited number of potential winners. The person who suggested the winning name will receive all three awards.

For a bit more background, let's have a look at a couple more pictures:

You may recognize this one  ;D

Quote from: threestooges on February 14, 2012, 07:02:39 PM
Your urban networks are always impressive to look at. I've never really lived in a dense urban environment (just around them), so I've not really had a chance to see them in action, but seeing the way you intertwine roads with rail and light rail is a treat. 22.14 in particular was my favorite of the update.

As for the reindeer... he looks like a "Willie" to me. Willie the Reindeer.
-Matt

Thanks a lot Matt! Glad you like the way I combine those networks, it's always a fun challenge for me. Willie is looking like the winner so far  ;)

Quote from: nbvc on February 14, 2012, 09:20:25 PM
Fantastic winter landscapes and rail layout for the bridge. &apls
Thank you very much!

Quote from: Swordmaster on February 15, 2012, 05:32:50 AM
"plans for freight traffic being phased out"

:angrymore:

I might remind you that freight generally brings in more revenue than passenger traffic! I really hope you reconsider your decision, or I'll be out of a job.

Cheers,
Willy
Hehe, no worries Willy, there will always be jobs for freight train drivers in Siilijoki! Freight traffic will be re-routed to the other (north) side of these hills  ;)

Quote from: bat on February 15, 2012, 07:38:05 AM
Fantastic new update there!
And great snow scenes! Also the other images are great.
Looking forward to more... ;)
Thanks bat! Really glad you liked all that  :thumbsup:

Quote from: Kergelen on February 17, 2012, 06:01:41 AM
Another great update with many things to see! &apls &apls
Fisrt I'm delighted with the snow pictures.
Second, I like the tram and rail system.
And third I love the pictures 22.13 and 22.14 with the reloted walls and the bar and liquor stores. :)
And finally the region shot looks great :thumbsup:
Thank you for the very nice and detailed comment! Well, I'm off to the bar, but I'll be sure to watch out for the walls after I've had a couple  :party:

Quote from: Dantes on February 17, 2012, 06:26:52 AM
Marvel at the many different beautiful pictures.  :satisfied: Wow. :o  Your railroad lines are playful and impressive.  :thumbsup: I like your design of the surrounding railway stations of the lot. I like image 22.13.  &apls  &apls  &apls
Thanks Dantes! Glad you liked the rail route!

Quote from: benedict on February 18, 2012, 06:37:05 AM
Congratulations, your CJ is number one on Ben's Top Ten this week!

(And thanks for the tip about the +/- button - very helpful!!)
Awesome!! I'm proud to have topped the list last week and glad you found my tip helpful!

Quote from: Jmouse on February 18, 2012, 02:35:13 PM
Noah, you have certainly done your plans justice and then some! Your transport map is both awesome and informative. Actually seeing a workable route laid out helps to show the planning that went into it and the logic behind it.

22.1 is a beautiful night shot, and it is interesting to know the purpose of the layout. You knew way back then where you were headed with this, didn't you? I see some lovely scenery in the next two, and the train and tram in 22.3 looks good. Was that a lucky coincidence, or did you have to wait for it to happen?

The overview in 22.4 tells me a lot about your thought processes when you planned the rail layout. What you did makes perfect sense, and you even made it seem simple to figure out!

More beautiful scenery follows, and I love the change of seasons. Of course, 22.9 speaks to my interest in light and shadow. I can count 22.10 as another favorite for both the composition and the realism.

Then there's another change of seasons, and the rest of the photos are pure eye candy. You chose a great night shot to top it all off, too.

I like all your updates, Noah, but this one is outstanding...
-Joan

Thanks Joan! I had an idea of where I was going with the train network back then but there've been some changes and lots of details filled in since. I'd get bored of Siilijoki pretty fast if I always knew what I was going to build before I built it  :D   I made the picture with the tram and the train by UDI-ing the tram train there and waiting for a tram to come, and then photoshopping out the UDI icon. Glad you liked the overview shot, I suspected you might enjoy the snow and twilight pictures, and I'm really flattered you enjoyed this update so much overall. It's especially nice since this one took so much to put together!

Quote from: 976 on February 18, 2012, 03:02:22 PM
Nice work! I like the scene!
Thank you much!

Quote from: rambuckel on February 20, 2012, 01:41:51 PM
Again those pictures are marvellous! So many different scenes and so many different types of scenes. Just great! There's only a few players who are able to present urban and rural areas in such a consistent quality!

At least those shots just from the snowy woods with the train in between ... just beautiful! I love those kind of shots!

Theresa
Wow, thank you so much for the kind words!! One of the nicest comments I've gotten and I'm very happy if my quality and consistency are so high!

Quote from: Framly on February 20, 2012, 01:47:23 PM
What a great month in Siilijoki! The last Update is very unique! The winter-shots looks so awesome!

A well deserved OSITM :thumbsup:

Keep up your fantastic work &apls
Thank you very much Framly! It's been a fun month and I've been enjoying playing around in the snow (in SC4 and RL  ;D )  Glad you've enjoyed the last updates!

Quote from: Skimbo on February 22, 2012, 11:32:04 AM
Just great!

You're mixing trainskins and rail traffic just the way I like it =)

And a very good use of the japaneese shoppingmall-station!
Thanks very much! I've been meaning to find a use for that nice station for awhile. It's great to know that the Dragon Coast Line's namesake approves of it  :thumbsup:

Swordmaster

There's something I was wondering about in picture 10.1, and it pops up again now in pic 22.13. What's that passenger station? And why does it have 4 tracks? I mean, what's the purpose, if there's only two platforms? Oh, I'm such a nerd.  ::)

Cheers,
Willy

vinlabsc3k

@Swordmaster: The central tracks are for no-stop trains.

Noah, I like all pictures, but I love 22.13 and 22.14. Your mastery rocks!!
My creation at CityBuilders.

SimCity 5 is here with the NAM Creations!!

threestooges

Interesting to see the progress pictures Noah. Looking forward to seeing the outcome of it all too.

As for the 4 track, 2 platform station, I'd like to know what it is as well. As for why 4 tracks and two platforms, I would imagine it would be for a station built directly on a mainline to allow for traffic to pass through while other trains wait at the station (such that an express train doesn't get stuck behind a commuter train on the same line that keeps stopping for stations).

-Matt

Gugu3

Very very nice!!The work in progress photo is really interesting :thumbsup:the rail lines are interesting too of course &apls

RickD

I enjoyed the update. I suggest "Hugo" as a name for the reindeer. I think he looks a little bit like a Hugo.  ()stsfd()
My name is Raphael.
Visit my MD: Empire Bay (My old MD: Santa Barbara County)

rambuckel

Interesting pictures again :) I'm looking forward to the next pictures ...

And I'd like to support RickDs suggestion concerning the name of the reindeer. Hugo is a good name for such a relaxed personality :)

Angels can fly because they don't take themselves too serious!

art128

Three interesting pictures, Noah ! I really like what you did with the rail station. My only suggestion would be to add another bunch of fences along the railway to prevent people going through the rails, on the side of the station's pillars.
I'll take a quiet life... A handshake of carbon monoxide.

Props & Texture Catalog

rooker1

This picture is brilliant!!!

I love how the rail line goes over the avenue and into the building.  That stone wall between the rail bridge and the raod bridge is perfect.  If you don't mind opening up LE and tossing on a fence in that one opened spot on the left side of the rail line.....I think the pic would be damn near perfect.
A K-Point for you my friend!!

Robin &apls
Call me Robin, please.

noahclem

Thanks again for the responses!   /&HiPP/%

I'm especially honored by the K-point Robin!!! Both you and Arthur mentioned that a wall between the tracks and the platforms would make sense so I've gone ahead and lotted one in:

Too much photoshop? I've been having perhaps a bit too much with sunny effects lately, perhaps to compensate for the long months of next to no sun around here  ;D

To answer the questions about that previous station, it's a re-lot I made of simcitler's re-lot of an SFBT station. I use it a lot when building rails along sloped areas and am interested in sharing if anyone's interested--not a fully public release but just a download link in this thread. I'd also be happy to share this more recent Japanese station re-lot (with the requested wall  :D ) if there's interest.

And yes, the 4 tracks are to make it possible for express trains to pass through while local trains are stopped.

Moving on, let's update the "Name Noah's Reindeer Friend" competition!

Willie, suggested by Matt (Threestooges) - 5 points

Hugo, suggested by Raphael (RickD), seconded by Theresa (rambuckel) - 7 points

But there are an enormous amount of potential votes not yet cast! Here's the stats on replies this month so far (in order of first appearance):

Rooker1 - 4
art128 - 6
Battlecat - 5
Skimbo - 2
JMouse - 8
Framly - 2
rambuckel - 4
Threestooges - 5
Dantes - 5
Terring7 - 3
Kergelen - 4
Derchrischi - 1
RickD - 3
Gugu3 - 2
nbvc - 2
Girafe - 2
vester - 1
io_bg - 1
apeguy -1
choco - 1
Lowkee33 - 1
carlfatal - 1
Ols. Benoit - 1
bat - 3
zsteven - 1
catty - 1
Jaris - 1
Yan077 - 1
vinlabsc3k - 2
wallasey - 1
Swordmaster - 2
benedict - 1
976 - 1

79 total if I count correctly, more than 15% of the total comments ever made in Siilijoki! I can't thank you guys enough  :thumbsup:

Quote from: Swordmaster on February 22, 2012, 02:53:28 PM
There's something I was wondering about in picture 10.1, and it pops up again now in pic 22.13. What's that passenger station? And why does it have 4 tracks? I mean, what's the purpose, if there's only two platforms? Oh, I'm such a nerd.  ::)

Cheers,
Willy
Great to hear from you again buddy! As mentioned later, the idea is to have express trains pass through while local trains are stopped. I'm a bit concerned I've done something nonsensical as you're much more knowledgeable about trains than I am--now that it's clarified, does it seem reasonable? Also, you need to vote in the competition! As one of Siilijoki's experts on railroads I'd love to name a section of rails or station for you!

Quote from: vinlabsc3k on February 22, 2012, 11:48:44 PM
@Swordmaster: The central tracks are for no-stop trains.

Noah, I like all pictures, but I love 22.13 and 22.14. Your mastery rocks!!

You're too kind and thanks for clarifying the purpose of that station! Always a pleasure to have you around and be sure to let me know what you think about me releasing my station re-lots and the naming competition  :thumbsup:

Quote from: threestooges on February 22, 2012, 11:54:36 PM
Interesting to see the progress pictures Noah. Looking forward to seeing the outcome of it all too.

As for the 4 track, 2 platform station, I'd like to know what it is as well. As for why 4 tracks and two platforms, I would imagine it would be for a station built directly on a mainline to allow for traffic to pass through while other trains wait at the station (such that an express train doesn't get stuck behind a commuter train on the same line that keeps stopping for stations).

-Matt
Thanks Matt and you imagine correctly :)  As I mentioned in this mini-update the station is my own re-lot of a re-lot and something I'd be happy to share if there's interest (it's not refined enough for the LEX yet and I refuse to upload something with numerous dependencies to the STEX since people are always crying about dependencies there even when they don't result in boxes. Progress on that interchange will be forthcoming. Always great to have you around and it's been a real pleasure sharing OSITM with you. Let's make this last week one to remember!

Quote from: Gugu3 on February 23, 2012, 01:46:58 AM
Very very nice!!The work in progress photo is really interesting :thumbsup:the rail lines are interesting too of course &apls
Thank you very much! I'll get back to you on the WIP shot and I'm glad you like the rails!

Quote from: RickD on February 23, 2012, 03:13:53 AM
I enjoyed the update. I suggest "Hugo" as a name for the reindeer. I think he looks a little bit like a Hugo.  ()stsfd()
Thanks Raphael! I could see him as a Hugo--and with Rambuckle's support you're now in the lead of the competition  :thumbsup:

Quote from: rambuckel on February 23, 2012, 03:24:32 AM
Interesting pictures again :) I'm looking forward to the next pictures ...

And I'd like to support RickDs suggestion concerning the name of the reindeer. Hugo is a good name for such a relaxed personality :)

Thank you much once again! A full update worth of pictures coming soon that I hope you'll enjoy (RFR deer perhaps? ;) ). Your vote for Hugo puts him in the lead, so it might be time to start thinking of where you want your Siilijoki vacation home or what you would like named for you or your MD  :thumbsup:

Quote from: art128 on February 23, 2012, 03:46:07 AM
Three interesting pictures, Noah ! I really like what you did with the rail station. My only suggestion would be to add another bunch of fences along the railway to prevent people going through the rails, on the side of the station's pillars.
Thanks Arthur! Good suggestion and I've gone ahead and implemented it  ;)  Hope you like the result of it, glad you liked the pictures, and look forward to your next visit here! BTW, with your 6 replies you could be a powerful force in the naming competition--any thoughts?

Quote from: rooker1 on February 23, 2012, 04:30:17 AM
This picture is brilliant!!!

I love how the rail line goes over the avenue and into the building.  That stone wall between the rail bridge and the raod bridge is perfect.  If you don't mind opening up LE and tossing on a fence in that one opened spot on the left side of the rail line.....I think the pic would be damn near perfect.
A K-Point for you my friend!!

Robin &apls
Thanks a ton Robin!!!! Really glad you liked the picture so much and hope you like the changes I've made since. It's very much a pleasure to have you visiting here  :thumbsup:

art128

Quote from: noahclem on February 23, 2012, 01:38:17 PM

Thanks Arthur! Good suggestion and I've gone ahead and implemented it  ;)  Hope you like the result of it, glad you liked the pictures, and look forward to your next visit here! BTW, with your 6 replies you could be a powerful force in the naming competition--any thoughts?

Uhmmm what about " Timothée " ( pronounced  Timotei ) ? It might sound cool! :D

About the last picture, much much better with the newest fence !  &apls
I'll take a quiet life... A handshake of carbon monoxide.

Props & Texture Catalog

Swordmaster

Quote from: noahclem on February 23, 2012, 01:38:17 PM
Great to hear from you again buddy! As mentioned later, the idea is to have express trains pass through while local trains are stopped. I'm a bit concerned I've done something nonsensical as you're much more knowledgeable about trains than I am--now that it's clarified, does it seem reasonable? Also, you need to vote in the competition! As one of Siilijoki's experts on railroads I'd love to name a section of rails or station for you!

Well, I was actually puzzled by the buffer stops behind the switches, so I started imagining too much. But come to think of it, they may be some kind of catch points [linkie] locked on straight while the signal is closed to avoid the stopped train accidentally running onto the main track. You see these mostly in older installations. Makes sense, then.

Willie the Reindeer? Got my vote, that one  ;)

Cheers,
Willy