• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Siilijoki

Started by noahclem, December 07, 2010, 06:41:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rambuckel

Wow ... Noah, these are brilliant pictures again ... I love that Beach-Picture which is so perfectly arranged!

Angels can fly because they don't take themselves too serious!

Jmouse

Lowkee's terrain mod is all the rage now, and I've been using it, too. Besides loving the passing train in 26.21, I like the shoreline you've used. How did you get that effect? Also, you seem to have mastered the use of clouds and other mysterious effects.

As a native of Houston and frequent visitor to Galveston, I'm not used to seeing trees on or anywhere near a beach (26.24). Otherwise, everything, including the sand texture, looks terrific to me.

23.26 is a great example of your urban angles softened by trees and a curvy motorway. There's one thing I'm not sure I understand, but I'll save that question for later. As for 23.28, I'll just try to follow along as best I can. Maybe I'll be able to grasp the principals of transport design if I pay close attention. But one question, do tunnels really run under buildings? Seems like it would weaken the very ground the building is standing on. Maybe vester will comment on the idea.

As always, outstanding work...
-Joan

kelis

Great update once again Noah !! I like so much the picture with the train, it looks very realistic, also I like the mountain picture, Great job my friend.

&apls &apls

# Jonathan.
.                                                                                                                      

|| Benelux Team || Windows on the World || My Photos on Flickr || Kelis BNL Projects ||

Ol.S / Benoit

I love this update, from the mountains to this complex network you are working on ! :) Also, the beach looks really nice.
Benoit.
MD : Click on picture

vinlabsc3k

It's your taste! ;)
For the SUV there's one in Sim's menu or a collection in STEX. (http://community.simtropolis.com/files/file/25635-fbi-suburban/ for example)

I like all the images &apls, but not the Terrain Mod :-[. It's good only with steep edges. If you can make a fusion with your precedent one was fantastic. :thumbsup:
My creation at CityBuilders.

SimCity 5 is here with the NAM Creations!!

art128

Well, even for a grab-bag, it is wonderful, Noah! The beach was wonderful as well as the other parts. I liked a lot the train shot ad the down-town pictures with the buildings in the interchange.
I'll take a quiet life... A handshake of carbon monoxide.

Props & Texture Catalog

noahclem

For today, a horizontal mosaic (my first) of the redeveloped area around the new Central Station in Siilijoki. Much more exciting information and pictures from that area, as well as replies, coming shortly. I'll keep this post short and simple though so it's easy to scroll through the mosaic  :thumbsup:

Click for full 5941x756 resolution  &hlp

nbvc

Fantastic work with the mosaic. &apls

art128

Excellent panorama, Noah! I love the use of the tramway lines all around the train station. Also, about the station, the way each buildings are next to each others along the railway is perfect.

My only critic is about the tram-in-avenue underground turn. I think you should put the right entrance two tiles further back ( closer to the station ) so that the turn under the ground is not too sharp for the tramways.

Take care!
-Arthur
I'll take a quiet life... A handshake of carbon monoxide.

Props & Texture Catalog

Kergelen

Very nice mosaic. I like the tramway and the bridges &apls

Links to SC4 websites

vortext

Hi Noah, I don't comment here often, in fact this is the first time but just wanted to let you know I thoroughly enjoy your MD. The latest mosaic is no exception, great city lay-out as per usual and nice use of custom graffiti, though perhaps a bit too fluorescent.  ;)

Now I don't which graphics hardware you have but maybe look into this thread in order to fix the nightlighting on the tramstop. In any case, keep up the good work  :thumbsup:

*back to lurking mode  $%#Ninj2  :D *
time flies like a bird
fruit flies like a banana

Jmouse

Your mosaic is superb, Noah. You're famous for your night shots – at least in my opinion you are – and this one is no exception. The more I look at your work, the more I realize you have an impressive selection of custom content, too. You've chosen wisely and obviously with great care.

Well done - again...
-Joan

Framly

Great Scene!!

I really like the Panorama shot &apls

-klick-1st Anniversary Video-klick-
Part of SFBT and RFR Team

kelis

What an amazing picture my friend !! I like this panorama with all those traffic systems. One of the things that I like it is the river, I like so much this narrow river crossing the city, it looks so great ! Great job as always my friend !!

:thumbsup:
.                                                                                                                      

|| Benelux Team || Windows on the World || My Photos on Flickr || Kelis BNL Projects ||

rambuckel

Noah, this is sooooooooooo marvelous .... I love all those different light effects!

Best wishes, Theresa
Angels can fly because they don't take themselves too serious!

Huston_N7

Aaaaamaziing D: Such a great panorama and the choice of structures and the lighting *drool*
<a href="http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=15523.msg467533#msg467533"></a>
E37 - Ferust System | Violet Nebula
"Blinding Night"
06/09/2013

Gugu3

Wow Noah!!!That's an incredible example of how to use the NAM to make a city look great :-\

noahclem

I'm very excited to present to you today's update, the first full update featuring (the tile) Siilijoki Proper since January 2011.

Perhaps the largest and most time-consuming public works project in Siilijoki's history has been the complete rebuilding of this whole area, including the replacement of the Central Station and realignment of its rails. I've tried to preserve as many elements of the area's history as possible. However, even those roads and buildings remaining from my original 3 updates are replacements, as large swathes of land were lowered 2-5 meters in elevation during this project.

My intent in developing this area was to create a high capacity, vibrant, and aesthetic transit hub for trains and trams while incorporating a unique network of "Maxis" water canals in an innovative manner. The style is new to me, and to some extant to the SC4 community, so I'd very much appreciate your suggestions, ideas, and critiques.

Jumping in with day 'n' night overviews:

The waterfront is lined with parks, trails, and cultural institutions. Chicago's "front yard" of Grant Park has been an inspiration, although my recreation is dramatically smaller

A network of canals were are a major part of the character of Central Siiliojoki. Originally created for a more industrial and maritime economy they are now a major part of the city's aesthetics and tourism. They continue to play a role in the areas transportation and recreation as well.

The station and it's plaza are the area's hub

The plaza was an especially interesting area to plan. To emphasize the area's pedestrian- and public transit-friendliness I decided to send all of the nearby roads and trams underground. Tunnels go under the river as well as under the plaza

Pedestrian-only bridges provide pleasant routes for the commuters and tourists. This one provides shelter from bad weather but plenty of windows to take in the view of the canals

A second pedestrian bridge crosses the Santtujoki to the east of the station

The tracks from the station head east but service all of the regions passenger railways. Another, larger station is planned to take the load off of the station here

Until next time!

Quote from: cmdp123789 on April 28, 2012, 04:19:43 PM
What mod are you using to have those tunnels entrances? I like them and I dont have them... NICE job... It is clearly not done, bt I quite like the way you are laying things...
Thanks for the comment and welcome to Siilijoki! I really like those tunnels too--they're Rivit's found on the stex here

Quote from: nbvc on April 28, 2012, 09:58:58 PM
Nice beach and city with the motorway. &apls
Thanks, glad you liked it!

Quote from: Sciurus on April 29, 2012, 01:31:01 AM
Very nice, I would like to take a bath on this beach ::)

Guillaume :thumbsup:
Thanks Guillaume! Sounds like fun  ;D

Quote from: Gugu3 on April 29, 2012, 03:05:51 AM
Excellent work as always Noah!!!!Nice to see some developments on TIA6 ;D
Thanks! I've been taking a little break from NAM work but I'll be getting back into it soon  :thumbsup:

Quote from: Framly on April 29, 2012, 08:03:21 AM
Great teaser! I really like your road development &apls

the Appalachian Terrain Mod looks fantastic with the Ski lifts ;)

Keep it on :)
Thanks Framly, glad you liked it!

Quote from: Schulmanator on April 29, 2012, 08:38:59 AM
Nice stuff. I really like it.  :thumbsup:
Thanks! Nice to see you around here  :thumbsup:

Quote from: Kergelen on April 29, 2012, 02:04:28 PM
Great pictures.
I love the train way near the water and the RHW picture. &apls
Thanks Kergelen! There's not much more fun in SimCity than trains, water, and RHW  ;)

Quote from: Skimbo on April 30, 2012, 08:02:39 AM
I like the scenes w. the train, the beach and the first motorway=)

And cool GLR intersection! :D
Thank you very much Skimbo!

Quote from: Lowkee33 on April 30, 2012, 10:05:10 AM
Looking good Noah, can't wait for the non-teaser :).

Your beach texture is a little stretched.

Thanks Carl, nice to see you here! Not sure what happened with that beach texture but I actually kind of liked its stretched look. I hope you like the update now that it's finally came!

Quote from: rambuckel on April 30, 2012, 12:46:50 PM
Wow ... Noah, these are brilliant pictures again ... I love that Beach-Picture which is so perfectly arranged!
Thanks Theresa, glad you liked the beach so much  :)

Quote from: Jmouse on April 30, 2012, 01:47:12 PM
Lowkee's terrain mod is all the rage now, and I've been using it, too. Besides loving the passing train in 26.21, I like the shoreline you've used. How did you get that effect? Also, you seem to have mastered the use of clouds and other mysterious effects.

As a native of Houston and frequent visitor to Galveston, I'm not used to seeing trees on or anywhere near a beach (26.24). Otherwise, everything, including the sand texture, looks terrific to me.

23.26 is a great example of your urban angles softened by trees and a curvy motorway. There's one thing I'm not sure I understand, but I'll save that question for later. As for 23.28, I'll just try to follow along as best I can. Maybe I'll be able to grasp the principals of transport design if I pay close attention. But one question, do tunnels really run under buildings? Seems like it would weaken the very ground the building is standing on. Maybe vester will comment on the idea.

As always, outstanding work...
-Joan

Thank you very much Joan! The shoreline in that first pic is just my water mod (one of drunkapple's) with Carl's terrain mod and waves turned on in graphic settings. Through in a few rocks and trees and that's what you get  ;)

My experience with beaches tends more towards lakes than seas and I suspect that influences my SC4 style, with trees often a bit closer to the water. In this case the trees have also helped smooth the transition between beach and land textures and to separate the roads and parking lots with their noise and poor aesthetics from the recreation area of the beach.

As for the motorways, that kind of picture only encompassing a small part of the interchange doesn't do much to help you or other readers understand how the junction functions as a whole--but hopefully it looks good  ;)  It'll be a lot easier to comprehend when the next map comes out....  As for the tunnels, I think they definitely can go underneath large buildings, but careful structural planning would have to be done, probably before the construction of the large building.

Any way, thanks again  :thumbsup:

Quote from: Kergelen on May 24, 2012, 11:39:43 AM
Very nice mosaic. I like the tramway and the bridges &apls
Quote from: kelis on April 30, 2012, 07:00:31 PM
Great update once again Noah !! I like so much the picture with the train, it looks very realistic, also I like the mountain picture, Great job my friend.

&apls &apls

# Jonathan.
Thanks very much Jonathan, glad you liked the train and mountain  :thumbsup:

Quote from: Ol.S / Benoit on May 04, 2012, 01:05:01 AM
I love this update, from the mountains to this complex network you are working on ! :) Also, the beach looks really nice.
Thanks so much Benoit, glad you liked it so much!

Quote from: vinlabsc3k on May 05, 2012, 07:59:52 AM

It's your taste! ;)
For the SUV there's one in Sim's menu or a collection in STEX. (http://community.simtropolis.com/files/file/25635-fbi-suburban/ for example)

I like all the images &apls, but not the Terrain Mod :-[. It's good only with steep edges. If you can make a fusion with your precedent one was fantastic. :thumbsup:

Thanks a lot! As for the terrain mod, I think it's in many ways the best one yet created but the dryness of it doesn't fit some of my region. Thanks for the SUV link too  :thumbsup:

Quote from: art128 on May 10, 2012, 11:31:02 AM
Well, even for a grab-bag, it is wonderful, Noah! The beach was wonderful as well as the other parts. I liked a lot the train shot ad the down-town pictures with the buildings in the interchange.
Thank you very much Arthur, really glad you liked it!

Quote from: nbvc on May 23, 2012, 12:20:16 PM
Fantastic work with the mosaic. &apls
Thanks nbvc!

Quote from: art128 on May 23, 2012, 12:32:14 PM
Excellent panorama, Noah! I love the use of the tramway lines all around the train station. Also, about the station, the way each buildings are next to each others along the railway is perfect.

My only critic is about the tram-in-avenue underground turn. I think you should put the right entrance two tiles further back ( closer to the station ) so that the turn under the ground is not too sharp for the tramways.

Take care!
-Arthur
Thanks Arthur! Glad you liked the trams, I always love playing with them. I planned the way those buildings along the railroads leaving the station a long time ago, trying to imagine what would look best. I think the nicest designs in real life are kind of like that (it looks terrible when you can see the rails behind the station from a city street).

As for moving the tram/ave flup entrance back (I hope I understand right which one you mean), i'm a bit limited because there's not much room before that road curves to diagonal and i wanted a tram station before the turn. The only way I could change it is if there was a FLUP tram station.

Quote from: vortext on May 24, 2012, 12:16:32 PM
Hi Noah, I don't comment here often, in fact this is the first time but just wanted to let you know I thoroughly enjoy your MD. The latest mosaic is no exception, great city lay-out as per usual and nice use of custom graffiti, though perhaps a bit too fluorescent.  ;)

Now I don't which graphics hardware you have but maybe look into this thread in order to fix the nightlighting on the tramstop. In any case, keep up the good work  :thumbsup:

*back to lurking mode  $%#Ninj2  :D *
Hey, great to hear from you here  ;D  Very nice to hear you've been enjoying Siilijoki! You're right about the graffiti--I kind of added it at the last minute. As for the link, I'd run across it before but reminding me inspired me to try harder to get it to work. I don't have a similar graphics card but I was able to get things to work a little better--really nice because my tram-in-avenue FLUPS do the same thing as the tram stations.

Thanks!

Quote from: Jmouse on May 24, 2012, 02:00:24 PM
Your mosaic is superb, Noah. You're famous for your night shots – at least in my opinion you are – and this one is no exception. The more I look at your work, the more I realize you have an impressive selection of custom content, too. You've chosen wisely and obviously with great care.

Well done - again...
-Joan

Hehe, in my imagination I'm famous for night shots too--I hope we're right  :D  As for my collection/selection or CC, be sure to let me know if there's anything you'd like to locate. Thanks again!

Quote from: Framly on May 24, 2012, 02:03:22 PM
Great Scene!!

I really like the Panorama shot &apls
Thanks Framly, really glad you liked it!

Quote from: kelis on May 24, 2012, 02:13:11 PM
What an amazing picture my friend !! I like this panorama with all those traffic systems. One of the things that I like it is the river, I like so much this narrow river crossing the city, it looks so great ! Great job as always my friend !!

:thumbsup:
Thanks and I'm especially glad you liked the canals/rivers! I've always enjoyed your canal scenes but I'm working on ways to make cities a little like yours but with game water "canals". Always a pleasure to have you visit  :thumbsup:

Quote from: rambuckel on May 24, 2012, 03:50:06 PM
Noah, this is sooooooooooo marvelous .... I love all those different light effects!

Best wishes, Theresa
Thanks so much Theresa! Really glad you liked and it's always nice to see you around here  ;)

Quote from: Republic on May 27, 2012, 09:12:06 PM
Aaaaamaziing D: Such a great panorama and the choice of structures and the lighting *drool*
Hey, welcome to Siilijoki Republic! I'm so happy you liked the update so much  ;D

Quote from: Gugu3 on May 29, 2012, 12:47:10 AM
Wow Noah!!!That's an incredible example of how to use the NAM to make a city look great :-\
Thanks as always!! Glad you loved the "NAMage"  :thumbsup:

mave94

That is an fantastic urban centre! The mix between old and new buildings look realistic.
It only seems that some textures don't show up correctly. I mean, you are using European textures for roads, but not all parts of the roads have those European textures, like in pic 27.11 and 27.13.

-Matthijs  ;)

Flatron

it's so ihmeellinen! I mean, I'd really like to live and work in Siillijoki, particularly but not only on this island &apls