• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

SC 4 Dat Packer problem

Started by bwhitejr, February 05, 2012, 11:22:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim14409

Quote from: ScottFTL on May 16, 2012, 09:00:31 PM

...how DatPacker works now.  It doesn't change or move the existing files in Plugins.  It simply processes them and creates new DAT files, which are compressed versions of all the loose files in Plugins. 

That seems to be what is happening with my files, but regarding the folders and sub folders in Plugins DP seems to be packing them into ONE dat file and giving it the name that the folder had. Perhaps I missed it somewhere, but in all my reading on the subject of DP I never came across what I considered a clear explanation of just what DP would do and the process it followed. Most utility software I have encountered over the years has had such an explanation. It would have saved me a lot of frustration and hours trying to figure out a process that seemed all but intuitive to me. Don't mean to step on the program authors toes, but everyone does not start at the same place and catch-up can be difficult without a map. Anyway, wanted to get that comment in.

Once you have packed the files, you should move the originals to another folder outside of Plugins for safekeeping. 

I agree! I have backup files stashed on my other drive, on CD, and on SD.

There are certain files that are not recommended for packing, such as the Network Addon Mod.

I knew this but had forgotten. Thanks for the reminder!!

I did not have the MFC71.dll so copied it to DP folder. Then ran DP on a fresh copy of plugins folder. Still no plugins_compressed folder. DP points to my plugins folder. E:\JimO-E\Documents\SimCity 4\Plugins. 

I Installed DP on my old XP machine and it created a Plugins_Compressed folder there so something on this Vista machine is blocking or interfering.
Don't feel obligated to spend more time on this. Life will go on regardless.  :) Many thanks, you have already been a big help.

I'm glad they made SimCity because I'm getting too old to get down in the dirt and make roads and towns like I did as a kid. ;)

Lowkee33

DatPacker Explained

QuoteE:\JimO-E\Documents\SimCity 4\Plugins

Look at the pictures more carefully.

ScottFTL

Quote from: Jim14409 on May 17, 2012, 12:07:38 PM
I did not have the MFC71.dll so copied it to DP folder. Then ran DP on a fresh copy of plugins folder. Still no plugins_compressed folder. DP points to my plugins folder. E:\JimO-E\Documents\SimCity 4\Plugins. 

Lowkee33 gives good advice.  It looks like you just need to add \Plugins_Compressed to the Destination Directory on your Vista machine.  After that, I think all should be working properly.   :thumbsup:

Jim14409

Quote from: Lowkee33 on May 17, 2012, 02:14:17 PM
DatPacker Explained

I have no idea what you are referring to. WHAT pictures?

EDIT: Nevermind. My post I made to Scotts' post seems to be applicable here.

EDIT: Moderator Comment

I have removed your post as it was not necessary to be rude to people who do this in their own time and are doing their best to help you, am also going to take away a karma point as while you apologized I do not feel that you meant it, given the other comments you made afterwards.

-catty (Global Moderator)
I'm glad they made SimCity because I'm getting too old to get down in the dirt and make roads and towns like I did as a kid. ;)

Rayden

Quote from: Jim14409 on May 19, 2012, 06:48:01 AM
DatPacker Explained

You really need someones' to draw you the picture don't you? When Lowkee33 told you to look at the pictures, was for you to press the underlined text where it says "DatPacker Explained" and look carefully at the pictures on that thread. I guess what you wrote above was not from someone logical and orderly thinker, other wise you would not insult those you, clearly wasted their time to try to help you, even if they didn't succeed. After all, acting like you did with your post, just shows who's under alcohol or drugs.

vortext

Quote from: Jim14409 on May 19, 2012, 07:31:08 AM
Since coming to this board/site it seems to me that I encountered very little semblance of logical and orderly thinking, much less keen observance and careful reading and comprehension. Mostly I have encountered  fragmented, disorderly, illogical, and disrupted thinking or whatever it is called these days. Wonderful what too much television and multitasking has done to peoples brains, but I speak as a fool in this because it is NOT wonderful, it is sad. Very sad.

First of all, we all do this as a hobby in our freetime. Second, for many of us, myself included, English is not our primary language. In other words, if you'd expected well-written, thoughtfull exposes on the nature of your specific problem, you're in for a disappointment indeed.

Everything I have read concerning the DatPacker program indicates, and outright states that the program itself creates the Plugins_Compressed folder.
Oh boy, if you follow everything that's written down to the letter and don't apply some critical thinking yourself, well, life is gonna be filled with problems and frustrations I guess.

Through my reading and observation I find many people dismissed and treated like idiots for no obvious reason. Perhaps the idiot is the one who so eagerly dismissed the poster and failed to carefully read and understand what they were asking or saying. No wonder so many potential contributing members go away in frustration and simply play another game or play the vanilla version out of the box.

Not sure what threads you've read, pretty sure you've misread them though. Also, just to make sure you actually understand, for many of us English is not our native tongue. Hence, some miscommunication is bound to occur, deal with it.

In conclusion, (yes, I am going to shut up) many of you here would do well to read this post and all others at least twice if you hope to ever understand what has been written. I fear too many of you are in a drug and or alcohol  induced stupor.

As it happens I'm enjoying a rather nice glass of wine at the moment. So here's to you, cheers, hope DP is finally working for you. Goodbye.
time flies like a bird
fruit flies like a banana

rooker1

With several posts from you here at SC4D already you should know very well by now how this site and the members work with each other.  Your attitude is uncalled for no matter if you get the solution you are looking for or not.  You just don't talk to people like this if you want continued help.  You have already lost two karma points, next time it will be your membership here.

Robin - Admin.
Call me Robin, please.

Jim14409

DatPacker Explained

EDIT: Moderator Comment

I have removed your post as it was not necessary to be rude to people who do this in their own time and are doing their best to help you, am also going to take away a karma point as while you apologized I do not feel that you meant it, given the other comments you made afterwards.

-catty (Global Moderator)

Dear Moderator catty,
Neither is it necessary for careless people to waste the time and effort of others. Especially on a site that clearly lacks order and an orderly progression of what is/has been done. I don't make insincere statements. When an apology, comment, or a compliment is made it comes from the heart at the time. Future evidence may or may not detract from what has been stated.

As for "karma point" I could not care less my dear. I do not share the pagan belief of karma so you take any and all the imaginary points away that you feel your position requires you do. ;)

I have other things to do with whatever time I have left in this world. You all have a nice whatever.

Jim14409

Quote from: Rayden on May 19, 2012, 08:46:37 AM
DatPacker Explained

You really need someones' to draw you the picture don't you? When Lowkee33 told you to look at the pictures, was for you to press the underlined text where it says "DatPacker Explained" and look carefully at the pictures on that thread. I guess what you wrote above was not from someone logical and orderly thinker, other wise you would not insult those you, clearly wasted their time to try to help you, even if they didn't succeed. After all, acting like you did with your post, just shows who's under alcohol or drugs.

I don't need someone to draw me a picture. I asked which, where, what pictures were being referred to. People don't know what is going on with other people and need to realize that we are not all thinking or remembering the same things at any given point. The writer knew what they meant, but their directions were unclear to me as they gave no point of reference. There are pictures everywhere these days. Look around.

As for drugs and alcohol I don't use either, nor do I smoke. You should not jump to such judgments when you have so little information. Perhaps you would have done better to ask. So to be perfectly clear; No, I don't use drugs other than prescription and I don't use or drink alcohol. I drink water only, have not even had a coke in over three years due to health reasons.

How about you? Do you drink and use drugs? I hope not.

Jim14409

Quote from: vortext on May 19, 2012, 08:58:19 AM

First of all, we all do this as a hobby in our freetime. Second, for many of us, myself included, English is not our primary language. In other words, if you'd expected well-written, thoughtfull exposes on the nature of your specific problem, you're in for a disappointment indeed.

Your efforts are appreciated by one and all I'm sure, myself included. I admit I do find much of what non native English speakers write/say to be confusing. However, it seems to me the onus is on the foreign language writer to meet the demands of whatever language the board happens to be in. Sometimes we are better off to say nothing, but as all can see we do not all practice that pearl of wisdom. ;)

Everything I have read concerning the DatPacker program indicates, and outright states that the program itself creates the Plugins_Compressed folder.
Oh boy, if you follow everything that's written down to the letter and don't apply some critical thinking yourself, well, life is gonna be filled with problems and frustrations I guess.

I've made it through most of my life and have yet to go wrong following instructions. I'm not sure of your definition of "critical thinking" but I will leave it be.

Not sure what threads you've read, pretty sure you've misread them though. Also, just to make sure you actually understand, for many of us English is not our native tongue. Hence, some miscommunication is bound to occur, deal with it.

Perhaps I did misread, but I don't think so, especially since I read most things more than once if I think it questionable or unclear.
I "deal" with a good many things friend, I just don't deal too well these days with mediocrity when thoroughness is called for. Some folks think that because they "volunteer" it excuses their failure to fully apply themself. It does not. I don't expect to change any minds but at least now you can know where I'm coming from instead of pulling judgments out of empty air.
In conclusion, (yes, I am going to shut up) many of you here would do well to read this post and all others at least twice if you hope to ever understand what has been written. I fear too many of you are in a drug and or alcohol  induced stupor.

As it happens I'm enjoying a rather nice glass of wine at the moment. So here's to you, cheers, hope DP is finally working for you. Goodbye.

Goodbye sounds so final...but hey, probably best under the circumstances. As you wish. Goodbye.

Silur

Well Jim14409... and some flag in Your hands ... By, by may be You'll return here with clear mind ... 
First:
I don't want listen Your pathetic speech - this is SC4 Devotion about SC4 ... 
Second and last: You can tale Your tales on BBC for babies ...

May be someone read Dat Packer "Readme" file and stop this thread about dead rats ...

No problems for me with Dat Packer from first day ...    May be You must have a legal XP or SC4 ...

And we must STOP some members like Jim14409 - he can play the game with his play station SONY ... 
There are many another place for our emotions - We must keep all our SC4 world (SC4 Devotion, Smtropolis, Simpeg. SC4 Polska and others) clear ...
Thank You ...

art128

Quote from: Jim14409 on May 25, 2012, 05:49:18 AMAs for "karma point" I could not care less my dear. I do not share the pagan belief of karma so you take any and all the imaginary points away that you feel your position requires you do. ;)

Well, Karma points give an image of the behaviour of the person. if you have a negative karma point, it means you didn't had a good behaviour here. It might be a " imaginary " place as well, something that does not have a material appearance in the world, but it doesn't mean you can talk as you wish. There are several rules you have to follow, like in every place of the world. If you're not willing to follow them, then you don't have anything to do here.

Quote from: Jim14409 on May 25, 2012, 06:17:44 AMGoodbye sounds so final...but hey, probably best under the circumstances. As you wish. Goodbye.

It may sound final, but he's right. We do not tolerate people with such a bad behaviour as you. You've been warned three times with negative karma points, as you doesn't seem to understand you are at risk to loose your membership. Protip: your IP is also banned, which means you can't create a new account. So think twice before being brutal or having a bad behaviour even on the internet. Or you really want to loose your membership, in that case it's not necessary to talk, just use the delete option in your profile. That way you'll not waste people's time.

In your profile you have indicate you're sixty years old, but judging on some of your recent post you seem like a frustrated twelve years old kid. If you really are sixty', then we wait of you a better behaviour.

With that last sentence I think that thread can be locked down as soon as an administrator or moderator stop by.
I'll take a quiet life... A handshake of carbon monoxide.

Props & Texture Catalog

Silur

Well - I'm with Art128. but may be thread about Dat Psker can live ...
My things - we can't close any threads with some posts from crazy childs ...

jeronij

Ok, enough time wasted with jim14409. Case and topic closed. There is really nothing worth in it :(
I am currently not active - Please, contact Tarkus for any site related matter. Thanks for enjoying SC4D :D

Autism Awareness;  A Father Shares
Mallorca My Mayor Diary