• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Translation request for Cogeo's RTMT

Started by RippleJet, July 18, 2007, 01:15:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RippleJet

This is a request from cogeo to translate his Road Top Mass Transit (RTMT) package into as many languages as possible.

It has already been translated from English into German (partly), Spanish (partly), Swedish and Finnish.

In addition to these I am enclosing DAT files for the following languages:
French, Italian, Dutch, Danish, Swedish, Norwegian, Finnish, Japanese, Polish, Traditional Chinese, Simplified Chinese, Thai, Korean and Portuguese.
All these files contain the original English text at the moment.

Feel free to download any of those translations readily made, for helping you in your own translation (eg. for translating into Norwegian, the Swedish translation might be helpful).

This first post contains the three languages that were available in the RTMT thread, English, German and Spanish
Could someone please check the German and Spanish translations and correct/supplement them?

RippleJet

This post contains the two translations I made, Swedish and Finnish, together with the untranslated Danish and Norwegian ones.

RippleJet

The major European languages which need translations; French, Italian, Dutch and Portuguese.

RippleJet

This final post contains those languages which might be more challenging; Polish, Japanese and Chinese ::)

As soon as you have translated any one of these DAT files, please reupload it here.
I am sure cogeo will give you credit for providing a translation and lots of SC4 players in your country will be forever grateful for your effort! :thumbsup:

Ennedi

RippleJet,

I can translate it to Polish and I will do it with pleasure, but I have 2 questions:

1. I am not familiar with editing .dat files. I understand I can simply change the text in LTEXT files from English to Polish, and then save the .dat file with the same name. Is it right?
2. How to upload zip files on the forum?
New Horizons Productions
Berethor - beskhu3epnm - blade2k5 - dmscopio - dedgren - Emilin - Ennedi
jplumbley - moganite - M4346 - nichter85 - papab2000 - Shadow Assassin - Tarkus - wouanagaine

RippleJet

Quote from: Ennedi on July 18, 2007, 03:01:11 PM
I can translate it to Polish and I will do it with pleasure

Great! :thumbsup:

1. I am not familiar with editing .dat files. I understand I can simply change the text in LTEXT files from English to Polish, and then save the .dat file with the same name. Is it right?

Yes, just edit the DAT file in iLive's Reader and save it, keeping the same name.
I will then take care of compiling all single language files into one bigger .dat file for Cogeo.

2. How to upload zip files on the forum?

When posting, press the + Additional Options to the left under the edit window while previewing your post (not the quick reply).

Ennedi

Quote from: RippleJet on July 18, 2007, 03:15:05 PM
Yes, just edit the DAT file in iLive's Reader and save it, keeping the same name.

Can I do it in DatGen?
New Horizons Productions
jplumbley - moganite - M4346 - nichter85 - papab2000 - Shadow Assassin - Tarkus - wouanagaine

RippleJet

Yes, you should be able to do that in DatGen ;)

Andreas

SC4Tool's Exemplar Editor should also support LTEXT files, although I don't know how it handles DAT files that don't have Exemplar files. Personally, I think ilive's Reader is the most convenient editor for "plain" LTEXT files.

Needless to say, I picked the German DAT and will have a look as soon as possible. :)
Andreas

RippleJet

Quote from: Andreas on July 18, 2007, 04:58:55 PM
Needless to say, I picked the German DAT and will have a look as soon as possible. :)

Thanks Andreas! I new we could count on you! :thumbsup:

cogeo

@RippleJet: many, many thanks for organising this!  ;D

I understand I can simply change the text in LTEXT files from English to Polish, and then save the .dat file with the same name.

Exactly! Please only replace text in-place, leaving the structure as is, eg do not insert or delete newlines or parentheses. For the menu descriptions edit only the normal text (leave the field references as they are).

Can I do it in DatGen?

Sure, actually DatGen might be the preferable tool, cause it handles multiline text better (it displays multiple lines, while iLive displays the end-of-line mark (CR+LF) as two block characters). Here is a link with instructions on using DatGen for translations. Please do not press Enter when at the end of the last line, this causes newlines to be inserted and looks weird ingame. When pressing the right arrow key, the cursor should not move past the last character of the last line (in a blank line), instead it must stop immediately after the last visible character.

RippleJet

Quote from: cogeo on July 19, 2007, 03:38:04 AM
@RippleJet: many, many thanks for organising this!  ;D

I am looking forward to playing with the bus/tube/tram station myself!
So thank you for updating the MT stops and stations that I favour in all my cities! :thumbsup:

Andreas

Here's the completed German translation. Fortunately, it wasn't that much in my case. ;)
Andreas

RippleJet

Danke Andreas! :thumbsup:
I wonder if there is someone taking on the Italian one, or would your friend still be willing to help us out? ::)

Andreas

Quote from: RippleJet on July 19, 2007, 05:40:22 AM
Danke Andreas! :thumbsup:
I wonder if there is someone taking on the Italian one, or would your friend still be willing to help us out? ::)

Yes, I can ask him, but he's somewhat swamped with work lately. When I met him last time in MSN, he said he got home not before working 12 hours straight. But I guess I can ask him nonetheless; after all, most captions are rather repetitive, so there's probably only a few text strings to translate. :)
Andreas

cogeo

As I can see, some of these to-be-translated files have been downloaded more than once, eg the Dutch file has been downloaded 3 times.

If you want to translate the pack for a language, please post in this thread, so as to avoid duplicate work, just like  Ennedi and Andreas did (many thanks to both).

RippleJet

The dutch pack was downloaded twice by Sebes and once by me (unless Tag_One downloaded it once as well).

Sebes had problems opening it so I checked it out and helped him.
He should make the dutch translation this weekend, but only once... :D

EDIT: Seems like I need to activate some of my Scandinavian friends... :P

sebes

Cogeo - I will provide you the Dutch translation during the weekend....
;)

Check my MD:               
Rhenen,NN

vester

Ennedi

Polish version done

Edit: sorry, now I see Andreas changed the zip name. Should I do it too?
New Horizons Productions