• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

TTC's Challenge No.1

Started by TheTeaCat, March 16, 2009, 01:16:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheTeaCat

This is where I shall post my challenge pictures.

Time to put the kettle on now I think :D :D

:satisfied:
TTC
Kettle's on. Milk? Sugars?    ps I don't like Earl Grey  $%Grinno$%
Reduce, Reuse, Recycle - If you're not part of the solution , you're part of the problem!
"Never knock on Death's door: Ring the bell and run away! Death really hates that!"
Tales at TeaTime      Now A proper NUT      TTC plays GRV II

TheTeaCat

Well Challenge 1 seems easy enough. Start in A, finish in M and go thru' 4 other tiles. OK

I'll go a b c...

Ok lets try a d g h ...

nope how about a d e 

OK not as easy as you first think so these are my  Route 10 and MainRail line routes.
It's even worse when you don't get to choose the route. More on that later.

The Main Road joins from Simnation to the west of Albyn and crosses the River Alb before turning SE to skirt
around the foothills of the Binnie's and continues E into the town of Beaumont.

It continues easterly through some flat plains heading towards the foothills of Beau's Mount. Before taking a
southerly turn towards the town of Esperance.

After entering Esperance from the N the main road takes some abrupt turns as it crosses the river.
The Three identical bridges help Route 10 cross the River Lee  to continue it southerly direction.

Leaving Esperance we continue south through the flat plains of Highfield.Passing the rocky outcrop on our left
where Highfield gets it name and crossing the River Crane the route turns east once more.

After leaving the flat plains of Highfield we continue east weaving our way though the flat plains of
Independence. Nowhere close to the only two distinguishing features of the area "Indie Rock" and
Lake Independence heading easterly towards the coast.

You think we would have enough of the plains but there's more to come when we enter Meriden as we do from the
west. The road curves to the south and sometimes you can see, off to the left the River Mer fed from Lake Indie
as its affectionately known. Easterly breezes carry the tang of salt air and on a good day they say you can hear
the sound of the sea far inland.

And for the Zoom 1 shot I chose the Town Esperance situated in Tile E
Time for a cuppa now I think:)

TTC

Reduce, Reuse, Recycle - If you're not part of the solution , you're part of the problem!
"Never knock on Death's door: Ring the bell and run away! Death really hates that!"

mrbisonm

Wow, already? We hope that you have thought it carefully over enough. Imagine the embarrassement later toask us for permissions for this and that? ;)
Now that you posted your pictures, you are not allowed to change anything anymore. We made copies and judge the originals only.

We also will not make any comments in this thread besides the judging once it is finished by Wednesday next week, but we will make useful and friendly comments in your regular thread of GRV.

One question, did you use oneway roads or simple roads, colours is not quite clear to us? If oneway, why?

mrb

....Uploading the MFP 1.... (.........Finishing the MFP1)

TheTeaCat

Well..... Been itching to play this and as we could not build till the pics were taken ......

Also not being able to post other little pics in the main thread till the challenge ones were in....

And as it's St. Patrick's Day tomorrow and I never work on this day  $%Grinno$% Never ever  $%Grinno$% $%Grinno$% means I can play late
into the night without worrying about having to get up for work  :D :D

Now I can build and exit without saving and try some stuff out see what looks best ::)

All the road way is Maxis standard road/rail with some NAM smooth curves thrown in for good measure or just because it looks better :D

regards
Derry

mattb325

Great stuff TTC: I like how this winds through each of the tiles - can't wait to see what you start building....Happy St Pats Day!

tooheys

Nicely done Derry. Particularily what you have done with the road.  :thumbsup: Like the way it works it way thru Esperance.

Hope you had a great St Pat's day

Cheers

Dave

TheTeaCat

Thanks guys :thumbsup:

Straight roads are not something I really used to (especially where I grew up  $%Grinno$%) and as most roads these days are from original trails used over many thousands of years that have been upgraded thru' the ages they would twist and turn and usually follow the local terrain. So mine tend to do the same.

Plus the fact that I did not choose it  ()what() ()what()
whats he on about?

Having a great St. Pat's Day :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

TTC

quackmofro

Seems like a nice country drive from the look and sound of it. I can dig it! :satisfied:

In Arkansas in the states, the roads wind through the dense pine forests and rolling hills and make for a quite enjoyable driving experience.

TheTeaCat

Earlier on I said that I did not choose the route for the road in Bordertown.

Well.... thats because I didn't $%Grinno$%

I was at my pc staring at a pic of the region when my flatmate brought me a cuppa that he'd made  ;D
and he asked what was so engossing. I told him about the comp and what the first challenge was and
I was trying to figure out when to place the road and rails an he said like this.

I managed to get a pic of him pointing out where to place it

So that's how those crazy curves appeared. Well I laid them out as he had shown me,
he was satisfied with my interpretation of his instructions and said "That'll be a good challenge for you now wont it."
Not only that he also watched me post the pics so that I have no choice but to play with the path he laid out for me.

Well there you go, that's how Bordertown got it's main road and rail routes.

Time for a cuppa now methinks

TTC

Pat

hehehee Derry very good story there on your route choosing!!!

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

newsimaddict

I quite like the windy roads - it will as your flatmate said - will be challenging to work with. As I've seen written in dedgren's 3RR project on numerous occasions - what grid?! Good luck!

Rayden

And just a wild guess, your flat mate was just arriving from the pub around the corner, where he had a couple of Guinness too much  $%Grinno$%

TheTeaCat

Quote from: Rayden on March 23, 2009, 03:41:11 PM
And just a wild guess, your flat mate was just arriving from the pub around the corner, where he had a couple of Guinness too much  $%Grinno$%

Actually at the end of my driveway is the closest pub to me :D

And he's more of a Rum man (Roots in the Caribbean  :thumbsup: )

Thank goodness I don't drink  $%Grinno$% anymore, I much prefer my TEA nowadays and being sober too  :thumbsup:

Derry

jmyers2043

Quote"That'll be a good challenge for you now wont it."

Hello Derry.

Pip Pip, Good show, and all that. Your flat mate gave me a good chuckle.

Cheers

Jim Myers  (5th member of SC4 Devotion)

mrbisonm

First of all let us congratulate You. You have made it through the first Mayor's test.
On the picture below, circles with letters will indicate what was important in your region for this challenge. If we say we don't like or we like, it doesn't mean that it's the same for others. We are judging to our lknowledge and what would be the most logical thing to do in our opinion, remember this.

A.  Good choice for both road and rails to cross the river here.
B.  A tunnel always kills a budget, they are expensive and need a lot of maintenance, therefor a bad idea to build one especially here, where the contouring of the hill would have been at least 60% less expensive.
C.  The road took the right way to contour the mountain.
D.  An error that half of the mayor popluations did. Why build 3 bridges when you have the choice to build one. Even a bridge as double as long as these three would have been less expensive. Not a good idea here.
E.  Good choice and also the best choice for tile E to cross the Grand river.
F. Again a good choice of rivercrossing and choosing the most narrowest point.

If it wouldn't have for the tunnel and the 3 bridges this would have been an easy 8. Good work though and 6 points well earned. Congratulations and good luck with challenge 2.

Nice story btw, cheers!

Lynn and Fred

....Uploading the MFP 1.... (.........Finishing the MFP1)

TheTeaCat

Thank you for the points awarded and the explanations to go with them. :thumbsup:

Quote from: mrbisonm on March 25, 2009, 10:03:41 PM
B.  A tunnel always kills a budget, they are expensive and need a lot of maintenance, therefor a bad idea to build one especially here, where the contouring of the hill would have been at least 60% less expensive.

Yes I realise how expensive tunnels are both in construction and maintenance, but trains travel faster in a straight line and the least number of bends
here is one of the factors taken into account as to why the tunnel was built. Yes it would have been more cost effective to go around the high ground
but it would also lengthen (time and distance wise) the journey . Therefore to me this was actually a more cost effective method.

Quote from: mrbisonm on March 25, 2009, 10:03:41 PM
D.  An error that half of the mayor popluations did. Why build 3 bridges when you have the choice to build one.
Even a bridge as double as long as these three would have been less expensive. Not a good idea here.

Again here costs were one of the factors involved. These 3 bridges actually cost far less than a single span would.
Also historical factors came into to play. Why is tile E the center of Bordertown and how did it come to be that way?

Over the years the river formed the islands but some settlement has obviously been there for some time.
The island is a defensible place due to nature of the river therefore sims must be living there for some time.

So the narrowest point/s would be where sims crossed the river. Therefore the trails/roads will lead to these points.
Narrow points could be crossed only by fording the river at a shallow point (the River Lee is a deep fast flowing river)
or by boat until bridges could be built. So small bridges are cheaper to build than longer ones.

As these small bridges are usually at those narrow points (originally the technology was not there for these huge bridges to be built) and wood/stone usually been the available materials huge spanning bridges just were not built. It was only after the suspension technique was discovered that these large span bridges could be built. 

These factors influenced my decision to cross the river with 3 bridges rather than just the one.

Please note that I am not complaining/moaning/whingeing  $%Grinno$% I am just explaining my decisions as to why I did what I did :thumbsup:
I really enjoyed the first challenge and look forward to number 2.

time now for a cuppa :D

TTC