• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

The Grand Duchy of Genevra

Started by Dark_Jedi06, October 05, 2008, 10:49:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheTeaCat

Stunning simply stunning &apls &apls &apls

Definitely worth a

:satisfied:
TTC
Kettle's on. Milk? Sugars?    ps I don't like Earl Grey  $%Grinno$%
Reduce, Reuse, Recycle - If you're not part of the solution , you're part of the problem!
"Never knock on Death's door: Ring the bell and run away! Death really hates that!"
Tales at TeaTime      Now A proper NUT      TTC plays GRV II

papab2000

Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dmscopio ♦ dedgren
♦ Emilin ♦ Ennedi ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦
papab2000 ♦ Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine
Visit my mapping thread: linkie
Post pic's of your NHP Mapped Regions linkie

Dark_Jedi06

"It gains strength as it goes" [Virgil 70BC-19BC]

The Emettertur (map point 2) and the International Rotunda (map point 1) are two of the most famous landmarks in Geneva that frame the entrance to the city by train. The International Rotunda contains the Genevran offices of both the United Nations and European Union, however a separate building elsewhere in the city is devoted solely to the SCJU.

Despite its picturesque beauty, severe thunderstorms are common in Genevra.

Another of Geneva's famous landmarks, the Church of Saint Maurice (map point 4) was the largest church in Geneva and the site of all royal coronations up until 1715, when King Henri I gained independence from the Old Swiss Confederation and commissioned the construction of the Catedrala da Gronda Spada in honor of his achievements; a cathedral about three times the size of Saint Maurice. Since then Saint Maurice has existed as a historical site and source of Genevran pride. It stands next to the regional rail line as it descends to street level and heads for the central terminus.

The mix of new and old as rapid commercial expansion in Geneva competes with the historical landscape.

Yet another famous landmark stands at the entrance to the city; the Silvestre Bros. Distillery (map point 3). Rum is the unofficial national drink of Genevra and became popular in late 18th century when Genevran colonization of Atlantic islands and their involvement in the Atlantic System produced surpluses of sugar. The Silvestres, a prominent noble family, capitalized on this surplus and begin distilling rum. Today, their most popular brand is Alpine Gold, a regional favorite found in the pantries and cupboards of all respectable Genevrans.

Simpson-You're welcome. :) Realism is what I strive for so I'm glad you think so. ;D

CarmineHilton-Oh my, I'm quite honored that you we would even suggest that. :-[

pipishere-Well I like to continuously change up my base textures, and it just so happened that something bright seemed appropriate for the marina area. :)

M4346-Thank you very much M, that's one of the kindest things I've heard. :)
I put a lot of work into each of my LOTs so it means a lot to me to hear such complimentary words. ;D

Pat-I'm glad you like the shoreline...I wanted to do something unique and create a beautiful waterfront. :)

kimcar-My goal is to present you all with something artistic and pleasing to look at it, so I hope never to disappoint. ;)

CabraBuitre-Thank you very much! :satisfied:

art128-I love the LE yes I do. $%Grinno$%

rooker1-It does take a long time, but it's definitely worth it.
I'm very meticulous so I like to control each and every aspect of my city, I'm totally obsessive! :P

kbieniu7-I'm glad you think so! ;)

sciurus54-That's what I'm going for. :thumbsup:

iamgoingtoeatyou-Everyone always has room to improve, just remember what my first CJ looked like... :P

south park-I'm a perfectionist. ()stsfd() ;)

tankmank-I would never have thought of funky...but I guess you're right! :D

Yoman-I try to keep my updates substantial while also accounting for the time between them, its a balancing act. ;)
I love the NAM curves...I refuse to use anything else. :satisfied: As for the central station; hopefully next update. ::)

TheTeaCat-I'm honored...I've always wanted a cup of tea. ;D ;D

papab2000-Thank you! :)
...this space to be filled soon...

LP_Green

I love what I see. Tons of colours, details and colours! again yeah, i love the lighting the small details that makes this a great city. highlights for me are the elevated train on the last pic and the small slope with the rail just next to church, beautiful. and I really like the billboards. have you done them yourself or?
anyway, I love that last update!

south park

WAW you are really a master of SC4 and i like your effect how do you make it ? photoshop or gimp ?
cairo and tropicalia (my cities) on tsc:
http://toutsimcity.com/forums.php?viewthread=441267

art128

It's a fabulous update here my friend  :thumbsup:
I really like the effect on the observation tower  :thumbsup:
I'll take a quiet life... A handshake of carbon monoxide.

Props & Texture Catalog

M4346

Beautiful presentation yet again!  ;D

What I love the most is the coherence of it all - it falls beautifully in place not only on a very well constructed map, but within a particular historical context as well!

I love the mix of old and new as well!

Great job yet again, and I'm sure I'm not alone when I say I can't wait for more!  :thumbsup:

M
New Horizons Productions
Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dedgren ♦ dmscopio ♦ Ennedi
emilin ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦ papab2000
Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine

Simpson

Oh! I love it, I love it and also I love it  :'(     &apls
This is really splendid D_J, your city is fantastic
Great work my friend  &apls &apls &apls
My new city is now here
The région of Kaikoura

Teaser of Lopsas[+ How did I do it?]:Lopsas

Emperor Stormont

Absolutely stunning. I am really really impressed by all your work in this new CJ and you know me Jedi, takes a lot to impress me  :satisfied:

Fantastic work from the lot editing to the rich beautiful colours in the finished images.

The Imperial Atlantean Empire MD <-- click to view
A new Beginning
Trixie Nominated CJ
2007 & 2008

pipishere

Ohhh i adore your mosaic there....stunning! :)

CarmineHilton

Again a wonderful update! The time you've spent on custom lotting must have been HUGE! =p
And as said before: Love that church!! Where'd you get it? :)

& Uhm, I didn't suggest why I said... I meant it! ;)

xoxo Carmine

Sciurus

I love your city! It's very impressive your work in the LE! :thumbsup: &apls
L'atelier d'architecture
* * * * * Longwy * * * * *

kimcar

&apls &apls Excellent work on the LE. Your city look very alive. Keep it up :thumbsup:

Sheep49

Map is great as always, good idea with putting the plan of the city! Finally I see that you're really inspired by the real Geneva ;) The first mosaic is really great and realistic! It's so chaotic that it looks like a real town :D On next photos you've done great work in photoshop ;) I especially adore the rain one :thumbsup: BUT, is it just me or the billboard is a little too low! Errr... Wait... It's tall enough! Well, it seems like I don't see any cons really! :D

Great work, I always like to come to Geneva for some beautiful lotting! &apls Keep up the great work. :thumbsup:
Piotr
Polish support forum - Cafe Poland * SC4Wiki! * My BATting thread

I am he, as you are he, as you are me and we are all together... - I Am The Walrus, The Beatles

c-dodolez-man

Definitely very good. Keep up the great work, I can't wait to see more!  :satisfied:

Badsim

Hi Dark Jedi ,

Great style and life everywhere ... I love it . A lot !  &apls &apls &apls

°   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °

metasmurf

Splendid, magnificent and what not :) Amazing level of detail. I particularly like the second update. Great coastline, great use of diagonal seawalls and parkways as well as all the road curves. I admire, and envy your patience, since I can clearly tell that a huge amount of time was spent making this  &apls

Dark_Jedi06

"May it be good, fortunate and prosperous!" [Cicero 106BC-43BC]

Here we see a shot of the length and breadth of the Alea en Sumbriva. The famous Genevran Riviera (map point 3) lies at the tail end towards the roundabout, and is a famous hotel that was built in the style of the French Riviera. Located near the train station, it is a popular hotel for business travelers arriving along regional train routes from France, Germany and Switzerland.

The Geneva terminus (map point 1) is the nexus of four major rail lines extended through Genevra as well as into neighboring countries such as France, Savoy, Germany and Switzerland. We also see here the roundabout that transitions and funnels the A1 highway into Geneva.

l'Aigle a Volé (map point 2) is a gold-plated statue of an eagle in flight that was erected after Genevra conquered the Bay of Guinea in the 1723 war with Spain. It was the beginning of Genevra's small foray into colonization. The gold extracted from Africa after conquering the Spanish colonies would be used to build the statue, a statue that symbolizes Genevra's flight and expansion from the European continent.

Commercial skyscrapers aren't the only construction competing for Geneva's skyline. Tall, luxury apartments built in modern styling have come to tower over the fragile structures of the old city as well.

A relic of the industrial revolution, this old brick-and-mortor water tower has been converted into a clock tower.

Another view of the city, showing the Funtàna Grecca and the Genevran Riviera. Even in the dense afternoon fog, the striking contrast between old and new is obvious; and to some, lends to the beauty of the capitol city.

LP_Green-I have many different billboards in my Plugins folder, however they all came off the STEX and can be found by entering "billboards" as the search. :)

south park-Photoshop CS3, I refuse to use anything else. :P

art128-Thank you very much. :)

M4346-Well I've adopted the mantra of "a place for every Lot, and every Lot in its place"; so essentially I strive to maintain that coherence by creating a new Lot for each area I'm working on, and seldom repeat them. ;D

Simpson-It makes me happy to receive such a compliment. :)

Emperor Stormont-I aim to please. :D

pipishere-Thank you very much Pip! :satisfied:

CarmineHilton-I spend waaay too much time on SC4 and not nearly enough on anything else (like studying  :P), but its worth the result. ;D As for the church, you can pick that bad boy up right here.

sciurus54-The LE is the single greatest tool for SC4. :P

kimcar-Capturing that life can be difficult, especially when those pesky Sims won't show up on a Lot or cars refuse to drive down a road.  $%Grinno$%

Sheep49-Well this entire MD was going to start off as a recreation of Geneva and the surrounding canton...but that was sooo much work (I give a lot of credit to ejc :thumbsup:). And I thought the map was a good idea so viewers would know where they are in the city, without me having to show a zoomed out shot showing the unfinished parts of the city. :P

c-dodolez-man-Thank you. :)

Badsim-I'm honored to see the true master of Lot editing comment here. :) I've stalked every page of Antigone (haven't commented though :-[) and draw a great deal of inspiration from your work with the LE. :satisfied:

metasmurf-I don't have patience for much, but SC4 is definitely an exception. :P
...this space to be filled soon...

Muzz

Jedi, you are a genuine GOD! The detail is incredible, and I love your consistency with the the paving textures. The only thing I'm not crazy about are the street-side trees, I feel they look about tropical. However, the rest of your city is so amazing that I'll let this go...  :P

Really love your attention to detail... Bike racks, advetisements, barriers, benches, post boxes. UNBELIEVABLE!!!

art128

Awesome city you have here my friend  &apls really realistic  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
the station quarter look good  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Arthur
I'll take a quiet life... A handshake of carbon monoxide.

Props & Texture Catalog