• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Bat4Max preview render window not listening to LODs

Started by SCdude, November 29, 2020, 03:54:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SCdude

In the attached pic, the LODs' dimensions are the exact same as the box that's been rendered. Yet the preview window thinks the LODs are 30 times the height. I've looked around and couldn't find this answer. I've also tried reinstalling Bat4Max, running everything as admin and no change. Any and all advice is welcome.

mattb325

This can be a common problem in Bat4Max. It results in having to fit the LODs manually. It occurs most often with smaller objects.

However, first make certain that you don't have any artefacts, detached vertices or hidden objects in the scene that may be causing the system to think that it needs a very tall LOD.

Once satisfied that nothing is causing an issue, either:
a) simply unhide/unfreeze the LODs and then correct the the values of LOD3, 4 & 5 (make sure each LOD is identically sized) to make them fit snugly against your object.
Or
b) delete the 3 system generated LODs which are faulty and make 3 new ones (naming each LOD3, LOD4 and LOD5)

SCdude

@mattb325
Hi! Thanks for your response. The box dimensions are about 14m on all sides and so are the LODs. Im attaching a pic to show you how I have it set up. The box I want to render, I have it selected (orange arrow) and I have my mouse hovered over the LOD3 (blue arrow)
I made the LOD3 transparent so you can see how its slightly bigger than the box002. And LOD4 and LOD5 are instanced to LOD3.
I'm wondering if there is a way to manually change a setting within bat4max code that could correct this. And I've tested using a new scene each time so I couldnt imagine what else would be in the scene besides the box, lods, scene cameras and lights. Also I've tried automatic lods and custom lods, still get the same issue.
I tried a 3dsmax hotfix but that didnt help either.
Surely its not because I'm using a 30 day trial right?

Girafe

Did you set up properly the dimensions under 3dsmax and during BAT4MAX install.
Could you link your scene, so we can try testing with our own setup.
The Floraler

This is the end, hold your breath and count to ten, feel the earth move, and then...

*   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *    *   *   *   *   *    * 

mattb325

Thanks for the pic.
As girafe states, have you set up all of the dimensions correctly? Looking at your grid in the image, I see it equals 10.0m. Up close, it should be 1.0m.
Under your grids and snaps settings adjust the parameters to 1 & 16 (you have to do this each time)

SCdude

It's fixed now! The only thing I did different was open 3dsmax and instead of testing a new box/lods in the new scene, I chose to open the box002 scene i saved to which it popped up a "File Load, Units Mismatch" message about scene scale adoption and I chose "Adopt files unit scale?" (In pic) And as you can see the frame rendered correctly around the box!

Even more bizarre, I even tried to recreate the problem by (again) opening 3dsmax, starting yet another box/lods in the new scene and it still works correctly! I couldn't recreate the problem even if I wanted to. :o

@Girafe The only thing I recall in the bat4max installation process as far as needing to pay attention to settings was something about keeping gamma at 2.2. So if anything was to be done about dimension settings, bat4max was already properly programmed. (apparently)

@mattb325 The grid was slightly off scale (10m spacing instead of 16m) but the problem was solved before I got a chance to test that adjustment, thanks for pointing it out anyway!