• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Three Rivers Region

Started by dedgren, December 20, 2006, 07:57:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pat

its a sad day indeed to see emil close up shop on Blackwater siiiiiiigh..... I think there should be a special induction to MD Hall of Fame?? Ive re-read Blackwater and is still very much a treat!!!

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

BigSlark

Where to start? 3RR continues to amaze me. You do phenomenal work, David.

I'm glad to hear that the Edgren's are doing all right, I imagine summer is drawing to a close in Alaska.

I enjoyed Blackwater as well, even though I only lurked. Emilin's MD will be missed.

Peace,
Kevin

metarvo

I will continue to keep up with 3RR, but I have given Emil my word that I will read Blackwater from start to finish.  The first few pages look spectacular.  How could I have missed this?  It's a shame that the MD is being retired, but it was bound to happen eventually.  I know that Emil must have a good reason for doing this.
Find my power line BAT thread here.
Check out the Noro Cooperative.  What are you waiting for?  It even has electricity.
Want more? Try here.  For even more electrical goodies, look here.
Here are some rural power lines.

emilin

David, I'm blushing now... ;D

I don't really know how to thank you for this gesture, that I myself can't think of as something I would have deserved, especially not from the author of what can only be considered "the city journal (or MD which ever you prefer) of city journals".

It's rare to know such appriciation and friendship in real life, and I never would have expected it from forum friends on a game fan site. This is, most likely, one of the most welcoming and kind communities of all. And that is to a very large degree caused by you, from the way you run 3RR, to your firm but calm administrative work, and you just being you.

Thank you!

/Emil

EDITIt's what friends do, Emil- and I'm honored to have you as a friend of mine. -DE

BlackwaterEmil's inn
Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dmscopio ♦ dedgren
♦ Emilin ♦ Ennedi ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦
papab2000 ♦ Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine

dedgren

So I'm hoping this will be the start of a big weekend at 3RR...

It looks like third time was a charm for Ryan (burgsabre87), with some help from Matt (threestooges).

These appear to be as good as things can get- and they are pretty good!  In the game, the sign is crisp, the edges clear, and the face is clean enough that the viewer knows what he or she is looking at.  Great job, guys.

I want to note our good friend j-dub's efforts, as well.  A few comments back [linkie], he posted some stop signs and other road furniture that just about blew my socks off.  j-dub, if you would like for me to make any of that ploppable for you, it would be a pleasure.  It would be great to see them in 3RR, too.

Anyway, I'll be talking with 3RRDOT about the first sign set, now that we appear to have perfected a production technique.  I'll post a little later this morning the sign faces we'd propose for the first set, and see what you think.

In the meantime, here's an ortho version of Ryan's stop sign I've run through the Plopperizer.

It's attached to the bottom of this post- Enjoy!

Later.

David

D. Edgren

Please call me David...

Three Rivers Region- A collaborative development of the SC4 community
The 3RR Quick Finder [linkie]

I aten't dead.  —  R.I.P. Granny Weatherwax

deathtopumpkins

Haven't commented in the past couple days, but new stop signs pulled me back from becoming a lurker.
I didn't think it was possible for stop signs to get any better, but they just did! Those are perfect (well from the pictures anyway, haven't seen them in-game yet  ;))

David, any plans to release the first ploppable signs, the curve ahead ones? I'd love to use those (I have a spot in my CJ where I've had to use the lotted ones, and not having sidewalks would be nice)

And wow, 3RR's finally got a geyser! That looks really good, and it is hard to believe those pictures came from SC4.

Lastly, I hope you've stopped glowing by now.  :D

EDITNo, dtp- comments like this one tend to keep me in pretty much an ongoing glowing state.  As for the ploppable ja-att signs, check out my next post.  Thanks for asking. -DE
NAM Team Member | 3RR Collaborater | Virgin Shores

CasperVg

Ouch, I've certainly missed a whole lot of extremely nice updates and custom content during my two-week vacation to southern France. The new developments look splendid.

Greetings,
Casper
Follow my SimCity 4 Let's play on YouTube

j-dub

Well seeing as the new stop sign is already there, I would love to have these

types of stop signals made ploppable. Thanks for doing production of ploppables.

Sheep49

I don't know why I haven't commented here before  &mmm.

Love everything about the project! :) The ploppable stop sign is lovely.

Keep on developing this great region!  :thumbsup:
Polish support forum - Cafe Poland * SC4Wiki! * My BATting thread

I am he, as you are he, as you are me and we are all together... - I Am The Walrus, The Beatles

jacqulina

excellent progress my friend

dedgren

Catchin' up on the morning's comments...

Sheep- hey!

QuoteI don't know why I haven't commented here before  Mmmm.

Well, I don't know either, but the point is- now you have, and as a newly-minted 3RR Regular*, we'll plan to see you back soon.  I share your fondness for Pink Floyd (the Atom Heart Mother Suite [linkie] is like mood music at my house), so "Shine On You Crazy Diamond!"

j-dub, my friend- watch this space.

casper (caspervg)- Ahhh, back from the holiday, I see.  Been watching for you, my friend.  You haven't seen the tip of the iceberg around here, though- it'll be a great fall for SC4 fans**.

dtp (deathtopumpkins):  First things first- folks should definitely check out your CJ Virgin Shores [linkie].  It's just a short trip away in cyberspace, and you are really doing some fine stuff over there.

As far as the couple of ortho signs done by ST member ja/att that I've run through the Plopperizer- well, what the heck.  I spent a few minutes prettying the menu icons up...

...so, to use them, you'll have to DL ja/att's Mass Pack prop signs here [linkie].  Put the folder that unzips from the attachment to this post wherever in your plugins file you would see fit, fire up the game and... Enjoy!

Now, I do need to note that 3RRDOT will be replacing these signs with a set of its own, but in the meantime, you at least have these to work with.

Working on something big today, so probably will catch you all again this evening.

EDIT:  Jacky (jacqulina), you posted as I was typing this.  It's always so great to see you over here- thanks as always, ma'am!

David

*  A 3RR Regular...

...let's see...

...is..

...oh yes...

...anyone who's ever posted here or over at 3RR-ST at least once.

**  At least for those who live in the Northern Hemisphere.  For those of you down south...

...who haven't fallen off- I've always wondered about that...

...it'll be a great spring!

D. Edgren

Please call me David...

Three Rivers Region- A collaborative development of the SC4 community
The 3RR Quick Finder [linkie]

I aten't dead.  —  R.I.P. Granny Weatherwax

Haljackey

Hmm...  With all the talk about road signs and the lot, you may be interested in taking a look at these:

ja/att has some made some amazing signs on the STEX, and they may be of some use to you:

Advisory signs:

45 signs in total.
Download HERE

Traffic restriction signs:

13 signs in total.
Download HERE

Traffic signs:

22 signs in total.
Download HERE

Crossing signs:

11 signs in total.
Download HERE

Other signs:

11 signs in total.
Download HERE

The signs are a little larger than RL so you can actually see what's on the sign.  It might not look realistic because they are oversized, but they look amazing in-game.

Anyways I hope you found these links useful!

Best,
-Haljackey

Edit: fixed links.

EDITHal, while I agree that ja/att's larger signs are really nice from a legibility standpoint, I think 3RRDOT will likely persist in developing more accurately scaled roadsigns, probably on a more limited basis (basic warning, traffic control and speed limit signs).  ja/att's signs are also only available in orthogonal versions, where the ones we will be doing for 3RR will include diagonal and FAR variants.  All that said, I can create ploppables really quickly, am doing the custom icons anyway, and would be happy to kick out a set of these over the next little bit, as it only takes 15 minutes or so a sign for the Plopperizer™ to do its thing.  I'll keep you posted by PM, and will also PM ja/att over at ST as well seeking his input. -DE

Ryan B.

Wow - great stuff, everyone!

Haljackey:  I understand where you're coming from, and we're incorporating any and all input into the models.  What I will say is:

This is going to be the American Revolution, if you will, of SC4 signage.  If it can be done, the 3RR DOT is going to take a look at it.

We're getting into some revolutionary times!

threestooges

I'm glad to see the stop sign turned out well. I know you gave me partial credit for it, but in all honesty, the credit should all go to Ryan. He's the one that did all the work on it (and fine work he did from the looks of it, I was waiting to see it in the game). Glad to hear you have some big plans in store for 3RR (a billboard or two might be an interesting addition, but we'll see). Also, Ryan, if I can offer any help on the sign production, let me know.

Emilin had it right when he noted:
Quote from: emilin on August 23, 2008, 06:02:05 AM
This is, most likely, one of the most welcoming and kind communities of all. And that is to a very large degree caused by you, from the way you run 3RR, to your firm but calm administrative work, and you just being you.
The people around here are all great and help to make the community one of the best that I know of but you certainly give your part to it. Take it easy my friend, and I'll keep an eye out for your next project.
-Matt

deathtopumpkins

Why thank you for the link, David! I think I'm probably glowing now too.  :D

And thanks for attaching those signs too. They will be put to good use.

Can't wait to see what you come up with next!

Pat

David holly sharpie 500 these are simply fantastic signs!!!  I cant wait to get my paws on them after I get done with work and also those wonderful hotsprings!!!

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

deathtopumpkins

Hmm... for some reason after installing the new signs (which work and look great!  &apls), the stop signs no longer show up... Is that supposed to happen?

It's not there where it was before. I still have the file David attached to the thread with it in my Plugins folder, and it hasn't been touched since before, when the stop sign worked.
Is it not supposed to still show up for us with that attachment?

EDIT: Good question.  Should'na happened.  I'll check it out. -DE

EDIT2: OK, I looked.

Can anyone else duplicate dtp's problem before I remove these from my plugins folder and reinstall from the attachments?  This should be fine, but you never know.
. -DE

thundercrack83

Looks like some fantastic progress has been made here while I was away!

Great work here, David and Ryan!

Dustin

CasperVg

I have tried, but I did not get the problem deathtopumpkins noted. I think these signs can be put to good use in the region I'm currently developing, thanks to everyone  :)

Page 225
Follow my SimCity 4 Let's play on YouTube

deathtopumpkins

Hmm... maybe I'll try deleting and re-downloading... It might just be me.

Re-DL'd. Be back in a minute with another try.

And it works!
All signs appear correctly now. Must have been something I did wrong the first time...