• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Dartford

Started by bobinator, January 18, 2008, 09:03:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bobinator

Well, I have this on simtropolis but I decided to post it here as well.

Some of you may remember me from Sun Valley, a city journal I ran a couple of years ago. I took a break but am now back.

So again, lets get to it!
First, thanks to flamesrock for his Eriaktra Lake Basin region which I use. I had so much fun with it in Sun Valley I decided to try it again. This city will, however be much better laid out and detailed than Sun Valley was. Second thanks to all the great bater's creations I have used. Finally, ignore my poor photoshopping skills in these early posts, i will get better.

Dartford began as a small port town but has seen large expansion in recent years, quickly growing to 50,000 sims. Because of its short distance from many other cities, it was an obvious place for a large port to grow.

New suburbs have begun to spread out, ass the city grows...

And Dartford's port...

The navy  has chosen Dartford as a prime spot for a regional port because of its central location.

Dartfords mall.

And finally, a region view. It looks a bit sloppy right now because of the cut off cities. Those will be filled in by the next update.

Well, that's it for the first post, cut me some slack on these first updates; I haven't played in a while, heh.

Haljackey

Wow, this is really neat!  I like the nice navy pier and the harbour.   

I haven't looked at your CJ @ Simtropolis, but I since I like what I see here, I will check it out sometime!

Nice start,
-Haljackey

bat

Great start there! And wonderful suburbs and overview of your region you have there! :thumbsup:
Looking forward to more...

TopCliff

YOU'RE BACK!!! I missed Sun Valley soo much, that I tried to remake it with my next city! Awesome! I love the layout of the region so far. But, I have to make the same suggestions I made in Sun Valley.

1. Custom content for downtown is an absolute must. I know you have good custom content from when you did Sun Valley.

2. Custom bridges might also be a good idea. After all, that red cantilever just irks me in ways unimagineable.

3. You have to totally update your plugins. After all, I see good custom content, but it's all from Sun Valley. Not being harsh, but your Plugins Folder has to catch up through 2006, 2007, and now 2008.

Other than that, this looks A-W-E-S-O-M-E!!! It's good to have you back.
Best movie of all time: Ferris Bueller's Day Off. If you disagree, Cameron will send your car over a cliff.

Please, call me Leo.  I quote John Lennon now, a great musician and philosopher. Particularly, one of his songs: You may say I'm a dreamer. But I'm not the only one. I hope someday you join us, and the world will live as one.

bobinator

Yea, my plugins folder is still kinda empty(but getting better, I just went through and added tons a couple days ago) because my computer has messed up since the Sun Valley days so I started over from scratch.

Thanks to all the comments.

TopCliff

Can't wait for an update. As long as you pick the quality stuff, I couldn't care less. Say, why did Sun Valley end? Computer crash? Virus? Just curious. Later dude.
Best movie of all time: Ferris Bueller's Day Off. If you disagree, Cameron will send your car over a cliff.

Please, call me Leo.  I quote John Lennon now, a great musician and philosopher. Particularly, one of his songs: You may say I'm a dreamer. But I'm not the only one. I hope someday you join us, and the world will live as one.

Cockatoo-210893

Wow, great port!  :thumbsup:
I think you need to get some more custom content happening in the actual city though like you've done with the port and shopping mall areas.
Going by the first image, it looks like you've got a great transit network going too, real nice that is. Keep at it!

bobinator

@topcliff: I just kinda got bored.  &mmm I'm back now though.

A new Hyundai car manufacturing plant has been constructed in one of Dartford's many business parks.

Dartford's local Hyundai dealership

Other warehouses have been built in the surrounding area.

Employees spend lunch breaks on the soccer field.

And the Fairview commercial park.

A new marina complex has also been recently developed.

High wealth condos have been built in the surrounding area by boating enthusiasts

The local lighthouse.

Dartford's downtown continues to grow.

Sorry about the lack of updates, I've been kinda busy lately.

TopCliff

Let's see. I looked upp your MD in the thesaurus, and this is what I got:

Awesome

Great

Sweetness

Anything that means totally god-like.

Looks great dude. I can believe you got bored of Sun Valley. My first journal ended in 10 hours. But it was a good learning experience. I'll keep coming if you keep doing what you do best: this. Later dude.

bat

That's a really nice city there!
And wonderful pictures of it!

bobinator

Thanks for the comments!

-UPDATE-

The Pinewood mall

Several new fast food restaurants are fighting for customers.

Suburbs begin to spread to the east of Dartford.

Pinewood high school has been constructed to cope with the new population.

I had a snow day today (about 2 new feet!) so I had a little time to play simcity. I'll have a bigger update in a day or two.

-bob

TopCliff

Excellent campus you have there. You really have talent here. Don't let it spoil. Later dude.

bat

Yes, great suburb there and wonderful campus!! Fantastic work! :thumbsup:

bobinator

Thanks for both the comments!

-UPDATE-

New high wealth residential areas have begun to grow in the shadow of Pinewood hill.

Cell phone companies have taken advantage of Pinewood hill and place cell phone towers at the peak.

New offices begin to taken advantage of Pinewood's currently cheap land.

And finally a couple of region shots. On the first one, does anyone know why none of the smaller building show up like they did in the previous region shot? Suggestions would be much appreciated.

Transportaion view- Dartford is about to go over 140,000 residents.

TopCliff

Interesting grid. Let's break it. :P You're cities are wonderful, but they require some breaking of the grid you have. Throw in some bends, etc. Oh, and nice use of that building there. I like the tunnel. Ever consider a terrain mod? My last little piece of advice: do what you did with Sun Valley, only better. And with a lot more custom content. Later dude.

bobinator

@topcliff- I think its pretty well broken up except for the freeway system, most big cities are grids in the inner city anyway.

-UPDATE-

New industrial and commercial parks continue to spring up.

Hopefully I'll be able to get a huge update up later tonight or tomorrow that I've been working on for awhile.

bobinator

Sorry for the double post, but here's the big update.

Welcome to Dartford International airport.

The city of Dartford has recently constructed a small international airport to cope with rising demand. Several carriers including Delta connections, Alaska/Horizon and Northwest Airlines service it.

Alaska/Horizon have a regional hub located in Dartford.

The I90, highway 81 exchange, just east of the airport.

The I90 westside big dig (lol)

Many private fliers have placed hangers along the airport.

NASCAR_Guy

Nice Medium sized airport.
Show us what you look like http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=1142.0

Just call me Dave

bat

Yes, nice airport there!
And wonderful updates, too!

bobinator

Nascar and bat- Thanks it's appreciated.

-UPDATE-

Dartford has broken a quarter million people. (Again, this region view would look a lot better if I could figure out what was wrong with the small houses showing up).

and a trans. view.

Dartford's downtown has seen quick expansion in recent years.

Central station, a regional hub has been recently constructed in the heart of downtown.

Heavy industry just outside downtown.

Westbrook Towers

And finally, moving to the suburbs, Eastpoint Cinemas.