• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Siilijoki

Started by noahclem, December 07, 2010, 06:41:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Terring7

"The wisest men follow their own direction" Euripides
The Choice is Ours
---
Simtropolis Moderator here. Can I help? Oh, and you can call me Elias (my real name) if you wish.

Kergelen

Amazing small island!

Is a great idea the water-game canals. I olove it.

Nice use of xannepan walls and diagonal bridges. And i like the combination of W2W, skyscrapers and parks in this small area.

&apls &apls &apls

Links to SC4 websites

Gayowulf

I can't believe I haven't commented on here before! (At least I don't think I have...) And yes, I just read through the whole thing. ;) I'm a bit of a completist.

As for the latest update... wow. Just wow. Hang on, I have an appropriate response here somewhere... wait... here it is:

:P

If you don't mind my asking, where did you get the parks and green-roofed building in 27.3? They're fantastic, and you've used them really well. Looking forward (very much!) to the next!
Goodness me, it's been a while.
Once upon a (very long) time (ago) I was working on Calidore: A Steampunk Experiment... maybe that will happen again someday.

If you're thinking I used to have a different name on here... I did. It still me!

nbvc

Great images. The island with the park looks fantastic. &apls

RickD

Awesome update. This part of town reminds me of Stockholm al little bit.
My name is Raphael.
Visit my MD: Empire Bay (My old MD: Santa Barbara County)

cmdp123789

Excellent update! I really like the way you managed to mix old and new... In addition, you know how to work with the angle of the pics.. I mean... you know how to take good shots! Although, I saw a pic in which the bridge didnt look much like a bridge 27.6 was... I mean it is clearly a "bridge" but it isnt... isnt it? Anyways... nice job on the update!

io_bg

Fantastic work on the last update! I like the network layout, too - it's quite realistic. Looking forward to more! :thumbsup:
Visit my MD, The region of Pirgos!
Last updated: 28 November

art128

Here is what I meant:

One or two tiles further in the direction of the red arrows, so that the turn ( in blue) is not a perfect 90° angle.

Anyway, one nice update once again! I really like that island with the waterfront park, very well made.
Also nice work with the tramway.
I'll take a quiet life... A handshake of carbon monoxide.

Props & Texture Catalog

Framly

WOW &apls

What a great update! Full of fantastic ideas and little details :)

I really like who you managed the bridges and Kazukis Walls &apls

-klick-1st Anniversary Video-klick-
Part of SFBT and RFR Team

Jmouse

What a stunning update, Noah, but it's so complex I hardly know where to begin.

So I took a little trip back to January 2011. Quite a difference between then and now. I see a more "professional" approach to your game now, and while pre-planning was evident back then, your work has a much more polished look now.

27.1 is as realistic as they get. The island is beautiful by day, by night and up close. I've always admired your use of park-like areas that break up the urban scenes. I'm sure you know why I like 27.4 ;) and 27.5 is as near perfect and any mosaic I've ever seen. Somehow everything works so well with all the other elements although we begin with an ultra-modern structure near the waterfront and end up in what I would call a vintage European scene.

The rest of the photos are sweet eye candy, and I really like your canals. In reading your description above 27.6, it's evident that you're thinking like a city manager in Siilijoki. You feel the heartbeat of your city – you do more than just let buildings appear where they will. You're a man with a definite plan, and we don't see that quality often enough. 27.11 - 27.13 are absolutely charming, and I would love to visit a place like that.

This is an update well worth waiting for...
-Joan

eugenelavery

This is such a masterful MD, I particularly love all of the canals.

rambuckel

WOW, Noah, this is amazing again ... the way you present rails and streets / roads is so realistic. And the mixture and arrangement of buildings is just exemplary!

&apls &apls &apls Theresa  &apls &apls &apls
Angels can fly because they don't take themselves too serious!

Gugu3

Awesome update!!!Really like the station area pdestrian friendly :thumbsup:Nice usage of tram in avenue and underpasses &apls

Skimbo

The Dragon Island Cities journal at SC4Devotion

For a Dragon Islands video click here

rooker1

Fantastic update. 
I love the complexity of your transit system and how you have crowded the roads.  Great work on the canals and very good chioce on buildings in the area, it all fits together just right.  Very European and very realistic, I love it all.

Robin :thumbsup:
Call me Robin, please.

benedict

Amazing update. I love the way the avenue curves just before it leaves the island.

And congratulations - your MD is back at number one on Ben's Top Ten for the week ending 31 May.
Click on the banner to celebrate!

noahclem

Hello and welcome to the first bit of a small 1 1/2 year birthday special for Siilijoki!

I'm a bit late but have been busy with--Summer Holidays  &dance

A real update that I hope will be a special one should be out in the next few days. I'm on vacation until Sunday but there's plenty of work to do around the house/business and it's also a nice time to enjoy my girlfriend being in town (for more than just a weekend). Hopefully I can sneak away to get the work done I want to make it a nice party here  ;)

Among the things I want to do with the update is explaining how I've created the canals, tunnels, bridges, etc in this area. For this teaser I'll show how the traffic flows around the new Central Station.

The idea was to keep the boring and somewhat unsightly FLUP-under-pedestrian tile pieces as out of view as possible. In my imagination the TIA tunnels run along the seawall instead of next to the train station but I thought they looked best this way. I've used FLUPs under the river and under overhanging seawall pieces to connect the tunnels under the river. The pedestrian bridges are re-lots based on Kazuki's RBP walls. I'm not quite satisfied with the area yet and some details will be filled in in the future. Most obviously, the TIA connection to the island featured in the last update is not yet functional. Does anybody know if there's a TIA-to-subway piece somewhere that I'm not aware of yet? Do the textures exist in LE? I might convert the whole area to subway instead of FLUPs if I find out how it's possible as that would allow me more freedom in designing the plaza and in using the seawalls.

Speaking of my summer holiday, the first part was spent visiting Tromso in northern Norway. What an inspiration for SimCity! I've always been a bit concerned about using tunnels excessively in SC4 because their so expensive in real life--but WOW, it's amazing to see what an already wealthy country, with revenues boosted by oil, can do to their roads! Here's the map of Tromso if you'd like a look:

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=norway&ll=69.651954,18.958712&spn=0.008476,0.038581&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-a&hnear=Norway&t=m&z=15

The tunnels! They had tunnels for the only main thoroughfares, roundabouts in the tunnels, and even an extensive network of parking tunnels! Only in Norway could they afford it.... Meanwhile it was hard for me to afford to rent a roof over my head or drink in my hand  :D

I was inspired, and in a long tradition of my traveling inspiring SimCity (ever sense I was 12 or so and had to reproduce the qualities of Washington DC in SC2k) I had to do something. That something is what I hope to show soon, among other things. For now, let's have a couple zoomed out looks of the area I'm thinking of for some Norwegian-inspired work  ;)

Quote from: MrMAvE94 on May 29, 2012, 12:13:16 PM
That is an fantastic urban centre! The mix between old and new buildings look realistic.
It only seems that some textures don't show up correctly. I mean, you are using European textures for roads, but not all parts of the roads have those European textures, like in pic 27.11 and 27.13.

-Matthijs  ;)
Thanks Matthijs! Glad you liked the mix of buildings. You're right about those textures--I try to figure out where the American/original textures are coming from but I somehow haven't been able to fix it. I'll try again  ;D

Quote from: Flatron on May 29, 2012, 01:15:12 PM
it's so ihmeellinen! I mean, I'd really like to live and work in Siillijoki, particularly but not only on this island &apls
Kiitos paljon  :D  I'm really glad you liked it so much and am particularly flattered about getting part of your city named for me! I think I'll have to find a home for you in Siilijoki (after I finish my awards from the last contest here  ::) )

Quote from: Terring7 on May 29, 2012, 01:34:07 PM
Awesome pictures &dance &dance
Thanks so much Elias!!

Quote from: Kergelen on May 29, 2012, 01:53:11 PM
Amazing small island!

Is a great idea the water-game canals. I olove it.

Nice use of xannepan walls and diagonal bridges. And i like the combination of W2W, skyscrapers and parks in this small area.

&apls &apls &apls
Thanks so much! I've always liked the look of game water and been frustrated that canal water usually doesn't match it well or transition to it well. Using game water has been more difficult but I'm going to share all the tricks I've used shortly. Maybe someone will figure out better ways than I've found and share back!

Quote from: Alafel on May 29, 2012, 09:07:52 PM
I can't believe I haven't commented on here before! (At least I don't think I have...) And yes, I just read through the whole thing. ;) I'm a bit of a completist.

As for the latest update... wow. Just wow. Hang on, I have an appropriate response here somewhere... wait... here it is:

:P

If you don't mind my asking, where did you get the parks and green-roofed building in 27.3? They're fantastic, and you've used them really well. Looking forward (very much!) to the next!
Welcome to Siilijoki!!! Thanks for taking the time to read through it all and I'm really glad you liked it so much! Feel free to "steel" whatever you like, I've taken many great ideas from other MDers and believe imitation is the sincerest form of flattery  ;)

The parks I've used (including the building you've asked about) are mostly from the BSC parks set. I've also used some from Paeng's newer park sets and the walled lots are my own re-lots from kazuki's RBP set (see my frequently requested links link). Keep your eye out here for some possible shared LOTting from me soon and I'll PM you the link for that park building when I find it  :thumbsup:

Quote from: nbvc on May 29, 2012, 09:39:32 PM
Great images. The island with the park looks fantastic. &apls
Thank you very much! Always a pleasure to have you visit  :thumbsup:

Quote from: RickD on May 30, 2012, 04:54:06 AM
Awesome update. This part of town reminds me of Stockholm al little bit.
Thanks Raphael! I've never been to Stockholm but it is an inspiration for this area, along with other canalled cities like Amsterdam, but fused with a more modern skyline. Anyway, glad you liked it!

Quote from: cmdp123789 on May 30, 2012, 07:53:52 AM
Excellent update! I really like the way you managed to mix old and new... In addition, you know how to work with the angle of the pics.. I mean... you know how to take good shots! Although, I saw a pic in which the bridge didnt look much like a bridge 27.6 was... I mean it is clearly a "bridge" but it isnt... isnt it? Anyways... nice job on the update!
Thanks!! Yeah the bridge-that-isn't-a-bridge was the only way I had to cross the canal with that network in that spot. I've lotted myself a solution so it will look like a real bridge but I'm still finishing the details. I want to somehow include wider sidewalks for it and am not sure quite how to do it yet....  Anyway, really glad you liked the mix of buildings and the update!

Quote from: io_bg on May 30, 2012, 09:31:22 AM
Fantastic work on the last update! I like the network layout, too - it's quite realistic. Looking forward to more! :thumbsup:
Thank you very much Ioan! Glad you liked the network, Pirgos has always been a source of inspiration for mine  :thumbsup:

Quote from: art128 on May 30, 2012, 10:21:09 AM
Here is what I meant:

One or two tiles further in the direction of the red arrows, so that the turn ( in blue) is not a perfect 90° angle.

Anyway, one nice update once again! I really like that island with the waterfront park, very well made.
Also nice work with the tramway.
Thanks!! Ok, I understand what you mean and it would be possible for me to do (though it wouldn't be if I put a bridge across the canal where I'm planning on). I don't understand why the sharp turn is a problem though--since the road travels underground you can imagine it going wherever you like. For example, when I show my next map of the area I'll show the tunnel here running along the river walls instead of next to the train station where it actually runs. In any case, I do really appreciate you taking the time to explain and I always take your suggestions very seriously. Always a pleasure  :thumbsup:

Quote from: Framly on May 30, 2012, 01:37:14 PM
WOW &apls

What a great update! Full of fantastic ideas and little details :)

I really like who you managed the bridges and Kazukis Walls &apls
Thanks Framly! Ideas and details are my favorite thing in SC4  ;D  Glad you liked the bridge and wall LOTting :thumbsup:

Quote from: Jmouse on May 30, 2012, 03:10:28 PM
What a stunning update, Noah, but it's so complex I hardly know where to begin.

So I took a little trip back to January 2011. Quite a difference between then and now. I see a more "professional" approach to your game now, and while pre-planning was evident back then, your work has a much more polished look now.

27.1 is as realistic as they get. The island is beautiful by day, by night and up close. I've always admired your use of park-like areas that break up the urban scenes. I'm sure you know why I like 27.4 ;) and 27.5 is as near perfect and any mosaic I've ever seen. Somehow everything works so well with all the other elements although we begin with an ultra-modern structure near the waterfront and end up in what I would call a vintage European scene.

The rest of the photos are sweet eye candy, and I really like your canals. In reading your description above 27.6, it's evident that you're thinking like a city manager in Siilijoki. You feel the heartbeat of your city – you do more than just let buildings appear where they will. You're a man with a definite plan, and we don't see that quality often enough. 27.11 - 27.13 are absolutely charming, and I would love to visit a place like that.

This is an update well worth waiting for...
-Joan

Thanks so much as always for such a detailed and thoughtful comment Joan  &dance  Getting such nice feedback is a huge encouragement for my work with Siilijoki. I'm glad you like the green spaces--one of the nice things about SimCity is that I can make cities the way I wish they were instead of the way the end up looking--and to me the most urbanized and dense areas are the ones that need a bit of greenery the most!

I must sincerely apologize for giving the wrong information on the area involved--this area is what was shown on the very first page of my MD before my central tile became un-openable. Hopefully it makes a bit more sense if you view there  :'(

I'm very glad you enjoyed the blend of building styles in the area. My scenes always involve some natural growth and Siilijoki is not a city that spends all of its time paused, but I do a lot of "pruning" of buildings and a good bit of plopping of C & I when the demand supports it. Usually I'm able to end up with a crop of buildings I'm quite happy with  :)

Glad you liked the canals as well. Those were the trickiest (read most fun but most frustrating) parts to implement. Ultimately, central Siilijoki should end up full of them and hopefully I pick up more tricks for making them look good along the way!

Thanks again and it's always a pleasure!

Quote from: eugenelavery on May 31, 2012, 08:40:28 AM
This is such a masterful MD, I particularly love all of the canals.
Wow, thank you for the great compliment!! I'm really glad you liked the canals, they were the most challenging part!

Quote from: rambuckel on May 31, 2012, 12:02:28 PM
WOW, Noah, this is amazing again ... the way you present rails and streets / roads is so realistic. And the mixture and arrangement of buildings is just exemplary!

&apls &apls &apls Theresa  &apls &apls &apls
Thank you very much Theresa!! It's fantastic to here such nice things about the transport and buildings around here! Glad to hear from you again  :)

Quote from: Gugu3 on May 31, 2012, 01:47:52 PM
Awesome update!!!Really like the station area pdestrian friendly :thumbsup:Nice usage of tram in avenue and underpasses &apls
Thanks a lot!! I had originally planned the train station area to have my new "TIA-6" roads surrounding it but I thought that the mass transit area should be very pedestrian friendly. Glad you agreed!

Quote from: Skimbo on June 01, 2012, 12:54:48 PM
Oooooh, Fabulous update!
Thanks very much and glad you liked it Skimbo!

Quote from: rooker1 on June 05, 2012, 07:00:43 AM
Fantastic update. 
I love the complexity of your transit system and how you have crowded the roads.  Great work on the canals and very good chioce on buildings in the area, it all fits together just right.  Very European and very realistic, I love it all.

Robin :thumbsup:
Awesome compliment Robin, thank you very much!! Really happy you liked it  :thumbsup:

Quote from: benedict on June 09, 2012, 03:47:31 PM
Amazing update. I love the way the avenue curves just before it leaves the island.

And congratulations - your MD is back at number one on Ben's Top Ten for the week ending 31 May.
Thanks benedict! The curve of the avenue is one of the relatively few remaining details from when I originally created the area (although it was bulldozed and reconstructed 4 meters lower than before). Glad Siilijoki made it to #1 again!!

Terring7

"The wisest men follow their own direction" Euripides
The Choice is Ours
---
Simtropolis Moderator here. Can I help? Oh, and you can call me Elias (my real name) if you wish.

RickD

Quote from: Terring7 on June 11, 2012, 01:54:37 PM
Birthday? I'll bring the beers &dance &dance

And I'll drink the beers.  :D

Great update Noah. Norwegian roads gave me much inspiration for my current MD, too. ;)
My name is Raphael.
Visit my MD: Empire Bay (My old MD: Santa Barbara County)

Ol.S / Benoit

Last update was pretty amazing ! And as always, great work with RHW :)
Benoit.
MD : Click on picture