• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Prototype IV - Entering the City View

Started by croxis, February 19, 2010, 03:02:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

croxis

Victor01

I didn't see any particular problems... yes, the camera controls are really horrible!!

I want to suggest a better UI, some buttons overlay and are difficult to read

croxis

The whole UI system is going to get reworked .You will also be happy to know that the camera system got some improvements. The only current issue involves the camera targeting system in regards to the water mesh, terrain altitude changes, and low camera angles. These fixes are going to be a bit more involved so it will take some time to get them in.

Jonathan

The right click to move around is very fast, it was better in the last one.
Also typing more than a certain number of characters into the username box crashes it.
And a limit on the zoom would be incredibly useful (and its a bit fast as well)

otherwise awesome!

(btw,I think the scale is a bit wrong the region is about the size I'd expect of a city)

Jonathan

croxis

For the next (final?) prototype right click panning has been removed (tomkeus needs it for the construction layer). It has been replaced with screen edge panning and panning with wasd. Zoom speed is going to be a matter of taste, and hopefully adjustable down the road. The effect I am going for is the zoom from Supreme Commander (try out the demo). The effect is not quite there yet, I am going to need to sit down and work out the math needed to do it.

Jonathan, can you recreate the bug then attach client.raw or submit it to a bug on the launchpad page? It will help me isolate the specific line causing issues. If you can't find it you can also find p3dsession.log in     *  C:\Documents and Settings\<your name>\Local Settings\Application Data\Panda3D on Windows XP, or
    * C:\Users\<your name>\AppData\Local\Panda3D on Windows Vista or Windows 7.  C:\Users\<your name>\AppData\LocalLow\Panda3D  if running it in IE, or /Users/<your name>/Library/Caches/Panda3D on Mac or ~/.panda3d on linux.

Supporting multiple operating systems is definitely cumbersome!

You are also correct on the scale. This region is 512x512 "tiles" with each tile being 10m. so 5km by 5km. As you noticed there are frames per second issues in the region view already, and I isolated this to the buffer switching system. This is going to be an ongoing optimization as well. If I can improve performance further I will double the scale again for performance testing.

RapidZer

I know this Prototype but not too sure. I only heard this on my friends and see this in this thread. For now I am still on a study about this, I hope I can understand it more.