• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

High Speed Rail Project (HSRP)

Started by Jonathan, August 19, 2007, 02:07:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tarkus

Quote from: mgb204 on July 11, 2015, 10:38:35 AM
I know BTM has/had the code to work so it should be a case of updating the models, something that shouldn't be so hard for me to accomplish, I may well try to do something about this assuming any possible changes to the monorail network wouldn't cancel it out (ID changes aside).

The issue with the current BTM is that the RHW compatibility was designed for pre-P57 specifications, and we got it days before P57 was about to become standard.  That means the stuff it does cover was moved, and there's a lot of new stuff in the RHW that it doesn't cover.  Because the mod involves heavy use of T21s and one model per zoom, the amount of work to convert it to meet current standards is insane.  Both droric and I started on doing it some time ago, but gave up out of frustration, and there's been no attempts since.  The only way to feasibly do it would be with scripting.

The existing starter piece-based HSRP does include RHW support across the board.

-Alex

eugenelavery

Ok, so transitioning RHW to Maxis Highway or Avenue is the best option for the new HSRP, Monorail, and BTM?

mgb204

Quote from: Tarkus on July 11, 2015, 10:54:09 AM
...Because the mod involves heavy use of T21s and one model per zoom, the amount of work to convert it to meet current standards is insane.  Both droric and I started on doing it some time ago, but gave up out of frustration, and there's been no attempts since.  The only way to feasibly do it would be with scripting.

The existing starter piece-based HSRP does include RHW support across the board.

I wasn't aware HSR was compatible, that's good to know, the only region I used a lot of RHW in got screwed up and so I never really tested a lot of these things.

As for the ID shift, would that mean the models still exist, changing the bases is not too hard if the rest is already there, assuming RHW is just a flat model with a texture applied at least. I may be willing to look at a partial fix, for me I really only need RHW-4, 6C and 6S for it to be useful, that would be more managable. However does it involve changes to RUL too, that might be a bridge too far ;D (sorry).

b22rian

I think if you can manage rhw-4, 6c and 6s, that would be more than satisfactory.
Thanks so much for your interest in this project  :thumbsup:

Brian

Tarkus

Quote from: mgb204 on July 11, 2015, 12:48:13 PM
As for the ID shift, would that mean the models still exist, changing the bases is not too hard if the rest is already there, assuming RHW is just a flat model with a texture applied at least. I may be willing to look at a partial fix, for me I really only need RHW-4, 6C and 6S for it to be useful, that would be more managable. However does it involve changes to RUL too, that might be a bridge too far ;D (sorry).

The big problem is that the models that exist for the RHW crossings are effectively useless, as the orientations changed as well (the pre-P57 setup was very inconsistent with the rotations).  I think my attempt got decently far into the ortho crossings at the very least.  I stopped when droric offered to take over, but he didn't get much further.

And Jonathan, thanks for the flat GHSR model!  That should come in handy. :thumbsup:

-Alex

b22rian

Thanks for you post Alex :thumbsup:

MGB ,

This sounds like a lot of work with the models having to be redone.
So I understand really if chose not to get involved with these new RHW X HSR crossings right now..

Thanks, Brian

mgb204

I'll see how I feel when I look again at the files, I won't be modelling anything, copy and paste is your friend, even if it's only the coordinates needed to make an S3D model :D. I have a process for these which can be efficient or not depending on the complexity of a given piece. Sadly, Moonlights El Rail and even more so the BTM, were in my experience some of the hardest to work with. Ultimately though, I'm a sucker for uniformity, so the day I need to make such a crossing in-game I'll be motivated to fix it, never say never and all that.

eugenelavery

I appreciate that you guys are at least willing to explore this compatibility issue.

vershner

Quote from: Jonathan on July 10, 2015, 02:50:08 PM
I'm not entirely sure whats happening with the RRW and HSR. Sorry for leaving this project in quite a mess, multiple times, university has take up a lot of time, and when I've had free I've had to focus on projects that earn money :/

But I have had a few days suited to doing mostly repetitive tasks with the TV on in the background :P So here are some files to make the GHSR flat/remove the blue side barriers, I don't mind if they're uploaded, modified, not used, or anything :)

(Pretty sure I managed to get all the pieces at least in the GHSR tab ring and the draggable network, but if there are any I've missed and it's wanted I can do them)
That's great, thanks for releasing these.  Is it possible to remove the shadows? I know it's possible on props but I'm not sure how to do it for network pieces.

jdenm8

Quote from: mgb204 on July 12, 2015, 11:21:37 AM
Sadly, Moonlights El Rail and even more so the BTM, were in my experience some of the hardest to work with.

I don't blame you for initially giving up. These two mods are probably the most polygonally-intensive ever made for SC4. Most of the models break the 600 Polygon 'limit', yet work wonderfully.

"We're making SimCity, not some dopey casual game." -Ocean Quigley

Zeratai

Anyone know how to fix the train going diagonal somehow bugs out and goes diagonal over the rail. like a "X" the rail and the car train are perpendicular.

mgb204

I think this is automata related, no idea what exactly is going on. I know that since updating all my automata to Vester's stuff the problem has disappeared. He did release a modern Shinkansen automata, it looks fantastic, so I'd give that a try.

vershner

Quote from: Zeratai on August 15, 2015, 01:18:05 PM
Anyone know how to fix the train going diagonal somehow bugs out and goes diagonal over the rail. like a "X" the rail and the car train are perpendicular.
It could be a pathing problem. I have a UK version, right-hand drive, and I'm fairly sure this doesn't happen for me, but it could be only occurring for LHD. What version do you have MGB?

mgb204

Quote from: vershner on October 03, 2015, 04:27:43 PM
Quote from: Zeratai on August 15, 2015, 01:18:05 PM
It could be a pathing problem. I have a UK version, right-hand drive, and I'm fairly sure this doesn't happen for me, but it could be only occurring for LHD. What version do you have MGB?

Erm, bit tricky that, I'm using a UK setup of LHD here. I say LHD, because even though Left-Hand Drive means the steering wheel is on the left, the SC4 community has always used it to mean you drive on the left. So when you say UK Setup/RHD, do you really mean LHD in SC4 parlance?

If you are not confused, I am! I own a RHD car but drive LHD ones often and live in Europe where I must drive on the right - well at least when I've forgotten people seem annoyed - Then when I come home I drive on the left again, sometimes with a LHD car too.

vershner

Urgh... that's even more confusing than the NAM naming convention discussion! I need to lie down for a moment.

My sims drive on the left, and I haven't noticed that issue, so it may only occur when they drive on the right. Unfortunately I can't easily test that.

I also have that situation with the car as my wife is Hungarian and we sometime drive there. Although, we might not do that again, at least with the current car, after it broke down in the middle of Austria.
Are you in Germany?

mgb204

Well I've noticed it with sims driving on the left side, I can link to some automata I know has the problem. I figured it was related to a setting in the automata. Perhaps brought on by path changes in the NAM though, WRC's seem to set it off more commonly. Therefore it wouldn't surprise me if this is a consequence of better looking networks requiring different modding for automata since the new stuff all seems to work fine.

Indeed I'm in Germany, thankfully I've yet to experience any serious problems between here and the UK, despite some long drives. Buying a German car is simply too expensive, so I buy them in the UK instead. Breakdowns in Europe are a bugger without breakdown cover, even if you don't live here, ADAC (German AA) will give you cover throughout Europe for 80€ a year and their phone staff all speak English too. I got that tip from an article in the Guardian for motorists driving over to the Greek Olympics I bumped into online.

vershner

Quote from: mgb204 on October 04, 2015, 03:43:01 PM
Well I've noticed it with sims driving on the left side, I can link to some automata I know has the problem. I figured it was related to a setting in the automata. Perhaps brought on by path changes in the NAM though, WRC's seem to set it off more commonly. Therefore it wouldn't surprise me if this is a consequence of better looking networks requiring different modding for automata since the new stuff all seems to work fine.
What are WRC's ?

QuoteADAC (German AA) will give you cover throughout Europe for 80€ a year and their phone staff all speak English too.
I think I used them (via the British AA) when we broke down. They took a while to arrive, but were very good once they did.

eggman121

Quote from: vershner on October 05, 2015, 02:01:00 AM
What are WRC's ?

Wide Radius Curves. They are the precursor to Multi Radius Curves that we are phasing in.

-eggman121