• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

DAVES' DAY!

Started by dedgren, September 08, 2007, 05:21:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dedgren

It's the third annual "Name that Dave" contest!

We've once again brought back, from the endless supply of amazing Daves out there, a third round of the little competition we have run in 2007 [linkie] and 2008 [linkie].

The object of the contest, by way of refreshing your recollection, is to both identify the baker's dozen of Daves, Davids and Davys whose pics appear below and match them up with the appropriate phrase.  Some are pretty easy, others are... well, let's just say a bit more obscure.  In 2007 our great friend Matt (threestooges) won the contest two days after it started.  Last year it only took Marathon Man Dustin (thundercrack83) a day.

The rules remain no cheating (for those of you who might figure out how).  Post your guesses on this thread, and no editing them, please, once they're up.  You can, though, try as many times and as often as you would like.  All entries will be checked out by a bona-fide and certified David.  Who knows what great things (Dave-for-a-day, perhaps?) will happen for the member who puzzles this out first.  As before, there may be hints if folks appear to be floundering.

[tabular type=4]
[row] [head colspan=2]
DAVE'S DAY SUPREMOS - Year Three
[/head] [/row]
[row] [head]Pic[/head] [head]Clue[/head] [/row]
[row] [data]
[/data] [data]Left to right[/data] [/row]
[row] [data]
[/data] [data]TW3[/data] [/row]
[row] [data]
[/data] [data]English as a second language[/data] [/row]
[row] [data]
[/data] [data]Tax protester[/data] [/row]
[row] [data]
[/data] [data]On the run[/data] [/row]
[row] [data]
[/data] [data]Good night, Chet[/data] [/row]
[row] [data]
[/data] [data]A man of the Times (today)[/data] [/row]
[row] [data]
[/data] [data]A man of the Times (yesterday)[/data] [/row]
[row] [data]
[/data] [data]One for two with Rudy[/data] [/row]
[row] [data]
[/data] [data]The man from Lipton[/data] [/row]
[row] [data]
[/data] [data]A man of the pines[/data] [/row]
[row] [data]
[/data] [data]A piano-maker's dream[/data] [/row]
[row] [data]
[/data] [data]Elemental discoveries[/data] [/row]
[/tabular]

So, go ahead, give it a shot and reflect a little bit on what an amazing thing to be a David it is.  Who will be the first member this year to sort out the clue that goes with the correct pic, and give us the names of each of these big D's along with the meaning of the clues?

David the Elder
D. Edgren

Please call me David...

Three Rivers Region- A collaborative development of the SC4 community
The 3RR Quick Finder [linkie]

I aten't dead.  —  R.I.P. Granny Weatherwax

dedgren

Oh, man!

Not even a guess at the easy ones?

David
D. Edgren

Please call me David...

Jmouse

David, there aren't any easy ones! &mmm

dedgren

Okay, no guesses all day...

It must be time for some clues.

The contest this year
so it would appear
has inspired in you
much dread and fear
but friends- worry not
because here come some clues
which you find quite handy
when you put them to use

You see the nice gentleman
whose pic's at the top?
spent four years in office
and then got the chop

The next guy we see
had his life made quite hard
by a man with one arm
and a cop named Gerard

The third pic's of a man
who, along with the other,
probably told us goodnight
more times than our mother

The fourth bloke's a Brit
who, despite never going to college
left us with much evidence
of his inestimable knowledge

If music's your love
and Narada your label
the fifth fellow's easy
just check the turntable

The sixth pic should be easy
for students of British history
although to me that country's governance
remains quite a mystery

Our seventh Dave was a Caine
on network TV
A mere grasshopper...
Ahhh- this one's too easy!

The eighth gent's long dead
gone off to the beyond
but students still read
of his life at the pond

The ninth pic is of a fellow
whose can be said to have come
all the way from the Ramparts
to Fox News stardom

Number ten is a Dave who
went to war with a pen
and wrote of the best and the brightest
of Kennedy's men

Pic number eleven shows us a guy
who's a political pundit
I know this one's hard
but there's no way around it

This next to last pic
is it from the 60s you ask?
it was a quite a bit more recently
this Dave took Nixon to task

The last pic is of a man
whose life is worth a look
he was a botanist, a mountaineer
and died the same place as Cook

So these are the clues
although some are a bit thin
the hints are all there
go use them and win!

David
D. Edgren

Please call me David...

tooheys

Ok David I'll see if I can get things rolling with some names:

2.David Janssen
3.David Brinkley
4.David Bradford
5.David Lanz
7.David Carridine
10.David Halbertson
12.David Frost
13.David Douglas

Good luck everyone.

Dave the Younger

tooheys

Well I'll take it a step further:

1.David Dinkins - One for two with Rudy
2.David Janssen - On the run
3.David Brinkley - Good night Chet
4.David Bradford ???(now I can't work out how I got this name) - Elemental Discoveries
5.David Lanz - A piano-makers dream
6.David Lloyd George - English as a second language
7.David Carradine - The man from Lipton
8.Henry David Thoreau - Tax Protester
9.David Horowitz - a man of the Times (today)
10.David Halbertson - A man of the Times (yesterday)
11. David Asman - Left to Right
12.David Frost - TW3
13.David Douglas - A man of Pines

dedgren

Dave:

This may be proving that only a Dave-man can do it.

1.  Correct, but needs explanation.
2.  Ditto.
3.  Ditto.
4.  Partially correct, but which part?  Hmmmm.
5.  See No. 1 above.
6.  Ditto.
7.  Ditto.
8.  Ditto.
9.  See No. 4 above.
10.  See No. 1 above.
11.  Finally!  Nnnnnnnnnnk.  Next guess, please!
12.  See No. 1 above.
13.  Ditto.

So, it looks like the winner will have lots of 'splaining to do.  That, and figure out what the problem is with Nos. 4, 9 and, of course, 11.

Ten matches, though.  Massively impressive.

David the Elder
D. Edgren

Please call me David...

tooheys

Changes/additions in red.

1.David Dinkins - One for two with Rudy Contested NY Mayor election against Rudy Giuliani twice. Won the first, lost the 2nd
2.David Janssen - On the run Played Richard Kimble in the TV series, The Fugitive
3.David Brinkley - Good night Chet Co-hosted The Huntley–Brinkley Report, with Chet Huntley. Sign-off Line
4.David Bradford (now I can't work out how I got this name) - Elemental Discoveries
5.David Lanz - A piano-makers dream  Grammy nominated pianist
6.David Lloyd George - English as a second language Born in Wales. Welsh was his native tongue
7.David Carradine - The man from Lipton Once a spokesman for Lipton
8.Henry David Thoreau - Tax Protester Refused to pay tax for a number of years in in protest of slavery and the Mexican/American war. Later lectured to explain his actions
9.David Horowitz - a man of the Times (today)
10.David Halbertson - A man of the Times (yesterday) Times journalist during the Vietnam war. Later a political reporter and wrote a book on the Kennedy Administration. Died 2007
11. David Asman - Left to Right
12.David Frost - TW3 Host of That Was the Week That Was aka TW3
13.David Douglas - A man of Pines A botanist who liked his pines and was first to cultivate quite a few

Still working on 4, 9 & 11. I've given everyone plenty of clues, so someone should be able to finish this off. But I'll keep at it.

Dave the Younger

tooheys

Well seeing I can't edit, another post. Changes/additions in red.

1.David Dinkins - One for two with Rudy Contested NY Mayor election against Rudy Giuliani twice. Won the first, lost the 2nd
2.David Janssen - On the run Played Richard Kimble in the TV series, The Fugitive
3.David Brinkley - Good night Chet Co-hosted The Huntley–Brinkley Report, with Chet Huntley. Sign-off Line
4. ???????????? - Elemental Discoveries
6.David Lloyd George - English as a second language Born in Wales. Welsh was his native tongue
8.Henry David Thoreau - Tax Protester Refused to pay tax for a number of years in in protest of slavery and the Mexican/American war. Later lectured to explain his actions
9.David Horowitz - Left to Right – Form member of the New Left, now an advocate for conservatism
10.David Halbertson - A man of the Times (yesterday) Times journalist during the Vietnam war. Later a political reporter and wrote a book on the Kennedy Administration. Died 2007
11. David Brooks - A man of the Times (today) – Current columnist for the NY Times
13.David Douglas - A man of Pines A botanist who liked his pines and was first to cultivate quite a few

I think I'm close, just need the name of that uneducated Brit  %confuso

Dave the Younger

threestooges

I think these would be the missing ones:
4: David Bradley: Elemental Discoveries (British Journalist who has a webzine named "Elemental Discoveries" and has written extensively on science and technology in his life.
9: David Asman: Man of the Times (Ok, so he started with the Wall Street Journal, but he does work for Fox News hosting Forbes on Fox.
11: David Horowitz would be Left to Right. According to a bit of research, he was originally a Marxist and later a conservative

Bringing in Dave the Younger's bits:

should complete the list.
-Matt (Honorary Dave 2007)

threestooges

Ok, so I got the Fox News thing backwards I think.

9: David Horowitz: Left to Right (used to edit for a magazine called Ramparts.)
11: David Brooks: Man of the Times (and indeed his picture does come up when you do an image search of his name on Google.)

threestooges

At the comment of one whose Dave-ness is unquestionable, and whose avatar has a headache that is seemingly insurmountable, the guess for 4 was a bit too contemporary for the picture (doesn't look like that guy would be very internet savvy). So with that, and some additional scrounging of the net for various things relating to elements and their discovery, I stumbled upon a Dave of sorts:

Humphry Davy to be exact. A British scientist known for discovering many of the alkali and alkaline earth metals (Columns I & II of the periodic table). He had some school, but does not appear to have been to college. So, that should make things:

4.Humphry Davy - British Scientist who noted many Column I & II metals and didn't go to college as one would expect.
9: David Horowitz: Left to Right (used to edit for a magazine called Ramparts and also made a left-right political switch.)
11: David Brooks: Man of the Times (and indeed his picture does come up when you do an image search of his name on Google.)
-Matt

dedgren

Whoa, Matt!  That's two out of three of these!

Yes, folks, we have a winner.

...I knew I posted those darn clues too early...

The official Dave for a Day coronation will have to wait 'til Dave's Day on the 18th, of course, but here's a few observations.

-Good catch on Humphry Davy- I tried to actually give as sideways sort of clue

...is to both identify the baker's dozen of Daves, Davids and Davys whose pics appear below...

in the post that kicked things off.  The David Bradley guess was an interesting one, given the pic.

-I wonder if David Horowitz will follow the whole trajectory set out by The Bobs [linkie]?

...first I was a hippie-
   then I was a stockbroker...
   ...now I am a hippie again!

-Ahhh, using the image search function of Google...  I'll have to take that technology into account in future contests.

-The Douglas Fir is named after David Douglas, who sounds like he was quite the character [linkie].

Big 'grats, Matt.  You sure your middle name isn't David, my friend?

David

D. Edgren

Please call me David...

Pat

dang yet again I am day late and dollar short yet again siiiiiiiiiigh....... but let it be to matt to get it done lol!!!

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

threestooges

Thanks David. I couldn't resist having a go at this one, especially after seeing Dave the Younger (and the one who provided much help for this) dive right into it. Never too early to start the celebrations Dave the Elder, and this was a fine way to get going. The trick with a google image search is that you need to have an idea of the name first to confirm with. David Bradley may be interesting when compared to the pic, but he seemed like a fine choice when I typed in "David Elemental Discoveries" into Google and found out about his webzine matching the clue's title and fitting the hint somewhat, being British and all...

Thanks for hosting a third competition for this. These things are fun.

Sorry you didn't get a chance to take a stab at these Pat. I know you could've taken a good run at them. Hope you're healing well.
-Matt

tooheys

Matt, I think that earns you the highest rank so far of honourary Dave's, a Davy Dave  :D

dragonshardz

Or maybe a Davy Jones?

Pat

LoL Bad pun there Matt "take a stab$%Grinno$% almost made me bust a stitch lol  :D

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

threestooges

Heh Pat! I'm sorry! I'd almost forgotten about that... though I'm glad to see it left you in stitches. *rimshot*

Pat