• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

DAVES' DAY!

Started by dedgren, September 08, 2007, 05:21:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dedgren

Last year we noted that this date, September 18th, would forever escape the ignominy of being the date in history best previously remembered for the founding, in 1838, of the Anti-Corn Law League [linkie].  That was because Dave (tooheys) and your still humble writer of this post, David (dedgren) were born on the 18th, and jointly decided that it shall be ever after, in honor of all the Davids, Daves, Davies and other variations out there: DAVE'S DAY!

Well, a year has passed, along with much water under the proverbial bridge, and here it is the 18th again-

DAVES' DAY '08!

...we considered renaming it Son of Dave's Day, but neither of us was willing to take a paternity test...

As we noted last year, SC4D has become a mecca for the Daves and Davids of the SC4 community, as evidenced by this thread- David's Unite! [linkie].  Members who have stepped forward there and celebrated the wonder of their Daveness include

shoreman905
tooheys
NASCAR_Guy
Archangel
urban
moganite
dedgren
deadwoods
sepsis
your_adress_here
bighead99
Simpson
Voltaire

We continue to believe there are way more Davids out there on SC4D- as we urged last year- come out, come out, come out and join us, both by proclaiming yourself on that thread and today in the gigantic public celebrations which we are quite certain will spontaneously erupt this year in every city and town more sophisticated than Upper Armpit, Iowa (they didn't seem to make the papers last year, but now we have a year's momentum going for us).  You don't believe us- look at the following, proof that the Lightness of Being David is far from Unbearable, and every Dave shall surely have his (and her, for all the distaff Davettes out there) day.

We've brought back, from the endless supply of amazing Daves out there, a second round of the contest we ran last year [linkie].  Go ahead, give it a shot and reflect a little bit on what an amazing thing to be a David it is.  Who will be the first member this year to sort out the clue that goes with the correct pic (they're currently scrambled), and give us the names of each of these big D's along with the meaning of the clues?

[tabular type=4]
[row] [head colspan=2]
DAVE'S DAY SUPREMOS - Year Two
[/head] [/row]
[row] [head]Pic[/head] [head]Clue[/head] [/row]
[row] [data]
[/data] [data]Advised Sleepy Jean[/data] [/row]
[row] [data]
[/data] [data]Mr. Cox[/data] [/row]
[row] [data]
[/data] [data]Just shoot me[/data] [/row]
[row] [data]
[/data] [data]Substantial justice[/data] [/row]
[row] [data]
[/data] [data]Country man[/data] [/row]
[row] [data]
[/data] [data]Hey, governor[/data] [/row]
[row] [data]
[/data] [data]Cursed torpedoes[/data] [/row]
[row] [data]
[/data] [data]The music's on the telly[/data] [/row]
[row] [data]
[/data] [data]Among the various Bonds[/data] [/row]
[row] [data]
[/data] [data]Stanley presumed[/data] [/row]
[row] [data]
[/data] [data]not Solo[/data] [/row]
[row] [data]
[/data] [data]Friend of the earth[/data] [/row]
[row] [data]
[/data] [data]Started as one of the family[/data] [/row]
[/tabular]

...we note that our great friend Matt (threestooges) won the contest last year two days after it started...

Now, as before, no cheating (for those of you who might figure out how).  Post your guesses on this thread, and no editing them once they're up.  You can, though, try as many times as you would like.  All entries will be checked out by a bona-fide and certified David.  Who knows what great things (Dave-for-a-day, perhaps?) will happen for the member who puzzles this out first.

Let the festivities begin anew!

David
D. Edgren

Please call me David...

Three Rivers Region- A collaborative development of the SC4 community
The 3RR Quick Finder [linkie]

I aten't dead.  —  R.I.P. Granny Weatherwax

thundercrack83

OK...

1. David Farragut. "Cursed torpedoes"--Quote made by Admiral Farragut, "Damn the torpedoes!"
2. ?
3. David McCallum. "not Solo"--McCallum played Illya Kuryakin, not Napoleon Solo (Robert Vaughn) on Man from U.N.C.L.E.
4. David Spade. "Just shoot me"--Spade starred on Just Shoot Me.
5. ?
6. David Livingstone. "Stanley presumed" --David Livingstone's identity was presumed by Henry Stanley.
7. ?
8. New York Governor David Paterson. "Hey, governor"--self-explanatory.
9. ?
10. David Cassidy. "Started out as one of the family"--Cassidy started out on The Partridge Family.
11. Davy Jones of the Monkees. "Advised Sleepy Jean"--Reference to the Monkees' song "Daydream Believer," with the line "Cheer up Sleepy Jean."
12. David Arquette. "Mr. Cox"--Arquette is married to Courteney Cox (who danced with Bruce Springsteen in the "Dancing in the Dark" video in 1984).
13. ?

EDITHoly Cow, Dustin!  I thought this year's contest was significantly harder than last year's, and you went eight for eight right out of the box.  Good take on the clues, too.  I must be getting soft. -DE

JoeST

one of the David Whitfield? and David Cassidey?

dont know which tho XD

EDITJoe, 50/50 (see Dustin's guesses). -DE
Copperminds and Cuddleswarms

thundercrack83

It was luck for me, David--you just happened to choose people in my wheelhouse. I grew up watching Nick at Nite as a child with my grandmother and aunt, so that got me Davy Jones and David Cassidy, watching the Democratic Convention in Denver got me New York's Governor (otherwise I never would have gotten that one!), about a semester's worth college history classes got me Farragut and Livingstone, Arquette and Spade were easier, and David McCallum happens to be on one of my favorite shows, NCIS (I've seen an episode or two of Man from U.N.C.L.E., too, that's how I put the clue together).

After looking at last year's, this year was significantly tougher, the stars just happened to align for me!

Now if someone can fill in the blanks and take all the credit, my work here will be done...

Dustin

Jmouse

13. David Niven.

EDITCorrecto-mundo, Joan! -DE

thundercrack83

Is David Niven, "Among the various Bonds?"

EDITYep, my friend- four to go. -DE

Jmouse

7. David Souter "Substantial Justice" Supreme Court Justice (Had a bit of help from a family member!)

EDITOne takes help from wherever it might be found, ma'am.  That's a right answer in all regards, and now there's three to go. -DE

thundercrack83

...How did I miss that?

...I took two semesters of Constitutional Law...

tooheys

Oh no, another Dave the Elder puzzle. I'm still trying to work out where I went wrong last year  %confuso

David, belated birthday wishes, hope you had a great day.

And to all those that have dropped by, thankyou very much for your comments.

Diggis, love the Kookaburra. Not sure if I can do the splits like that anymore  $%Grinno$% , must be a younger me. Although the esky is half empty (or half full) so I might not be feeling much pain (and probably explains the oars  :D )

Thanks again everyone

Cheers

Dave the Younger

Diggis

Quote from: tooheys on September 19, 2008, 03:48:02 AM
Diggis, love the Kookaburra. Not sure if I can do the splits like that anymore  $%Grinno$% , must be a younger me. Although the esky is half empty (or half full) so I might not be feeling much pain (and probably explains the oars  :D )

Actually one leg is on the seat and bent at the knee.  I didn't expect you to be doing the splits.

dedgren

Well, coming up on a full day...

As our contest has made it pretty much once around the world, let's throw out a few clues for the remaining three, as two appear to be pretty much generic old-guy Daves and the third, while he has a nice smile, isn't exactly someone who would stand out in a crowd.

Here goes-

The three that are left- a challenging trio
'cos now Souter's gone, my oh, me oh...
so here's a few hints, whether they'll help
who knows? at least now you can't yelp
One of the three was passionate about mother
One of the three isn't Earl's younger brother
Oh, those two are about useless, this last not so, sir
One of the three was the essence of kosher
So the music is playing on most every TV
The desert is blooming, the club hugs a tree
and these clues, as arcane as they are
if you think about them with care- you might be a star!

Good luck!

David

n.b.We've also added bona fide Daves bighead99, Simpson and Voltaire to our Davelist [linkie].  If you are a Dave and not on it yet, let us know. -DE

D. Edgren

Please call me David...

thundercrack83

I'm at a loss on these last three David, even with your poem! Though something tells me that I'm going to be hitting myself when the answers are revealed...

threestooges

Well, I was thinking about letting the title go to another honorary Dave, but let's give this a go. Three left and a puzzling poem... and someone already got Souter.

country man (one of the three isn't earl's younger brother-thought this was some sort of reference to "My Name Is Earl" but I can't make a connection)

music's on the telly - Don't know, and the poem adds to the confusion

But I do have a guess at one:

1. David Farragut - "Cursed torpedoes"--Quote made by Admiral Farragut, "Damn the torpedoes!"
2. David Beach - friend of the earth (one of the three was passionate about mother)
3. David McCallum - "not Solo"--McCallum played Illya Kuryakin, not Napoleon Solo (Robert Vaughn) on Man from U.N.C.L.E.
4. David Spade - "Just shoot me"--Spade starred on Just Shoot Me.
5. ?
6. David Livingstone - "Stanley presumed" --David Livingstone's identity was presumed by Henry Stanley.
7. David Souter - "Substantial Justice"
8. New York Governor David Paterson - "Hey, governor"--self-explanatory.
9. ?
10. David Cassidy - "Started out as one of the family"--Cassidy started out on The Partridge Family.
11. Davy Jones of the Monkees - "Advised Sleepy Jean"--Reference to the Monkees' song "Daydream Believer," with the line "Cheer up Sleepy Jean."
12. David Arquette - "Mr. Cox"--Arquette is married to Courteney Cox (who danced with Bruce Springsteen in the "Dancing in the Dark" video in 1984).
13. David Niven - "Among the various Bonds?"

-edit- After seeing wes.janson's post below I looked back over the clues... Is No. 5 David Bowie? (complete wild guess)

EDIT: Hey, Matt!  Well, it's not David Beach, I'll say that.  Ahhh, I must be doing my job... -DE

wes.janson

9. David Ben-Gurion - Country Man (First Prime Minister Of Israel

EDITWes, absolutely, positively 100% correct. -DE

Henrik Sedin: 82gp 29g 83a 112p - 2009/2010 Art Ross/Hart Trophy winner!

thundercrack83

Got it! I think...

2. David Brower. "Friend of the earth." First Executive Director of the Sierra Club, an environmental organization. "Passionate about mother," as in the earth.
5. David Gray. "The music's on the telly." English singer-songwriter. Also, "not Earl's brother," as in Earl Grey, I presume?

EDITWe have a Winner!  Dustin, you are now among the Daves- entitled to all the benefits of joining this small and elite corps of world-shakers.  Heh!  That and (US) $1.75 will buy you a cup of coffee... or I will, if I can get you up here to Alaska.  Thanks, everyone, for playing! -DE

Jmouse

Good job, Dustin! Enjoy your cup of coffee! :D

Later...
Joan

*Edit* Whatever happened to the 50-cent cup of coffee?

threestooges

Well done Dustin. If I couldn't reclaim the title, I'm glad it went to someone like you (who went 8/8 on the first guess).

Joan, as far as 50 cent cups of coffee, my school has one. It's small, comes from a vending machine, and I'm guessing beans are involved at some point... it's drinkable.

Happy Dave's Day again to all the Daves (new and old) out there.
-Matt (Honorary Dave as of Sept. 2007, and on an interesting date in 2007)

wes.janson

50 cents? Im a alve to Starbucks and am lucky if my coffee makes it under 5 bucks (Of course.. those 4 shots of espresso raise the cost quite a bit)

Henrik Sedin: 82gp 29g 83a 112p - 2009/2010 Art Ross/Hart Trophy winner!

dedgren

We're now just under three weeks to the year's biggest SC4D event!

...actually, a little bigger than even we intended...

September 18th, of course, is Daves' Day '09, the third time in three years this annual celebration of Daveness is hosted by your official Daves' Day Hosts Dave (tooheys) and David (dedgren).

So, shout out your Davitude here [linkie].  Even if you aren't a Dave, David or Davette by birth, everyone can be a Dave for a DayTM on Dave's Day!

See 'ya there!

David (and Dave, too, once I track him down)
D. Edgren

Please call me David...

tooheys

Well that statue might be a tad oversized but will most likely be more realistic once Dave's Day is over  :o

David, I have a bit more free time this year, so really looking forward to the gathering of Daves and quasi Daves

Hope to see you all here :thumbsup:

PS: In this thread I am known as Dave the Younger and the other fellow, Dave the Elder  ;)