• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

RHW (RealHighway) - Development and Support

Started by Tarkus, April 13, 2007, 09:10:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

banditp61

Sorry to be a bother, but will there be pedestrian bridges over any of the RHW?

Tarkus

Quote from: banditp61 on December 13, 2010, 06:34:16 PM
Sorry to be a bother, but will there be pedestrian bridges over any of the RHW?

Yes, absolutely.  I'm not sure when--there's been off-and-on interest in revamping/expanding the pedestrian network functionality--but they are planned.

Ramp interfaces/splitters are nearly done now . . . a look at a couple:

This one will be new to Version 4.2, thanks to Maarten. :)

And work on transitions has started:

-Alex

Aaron Graham

Looks great. I wish I could get in to the NAMing. &apls
-Simcity4fan12/Sgt Pepper -Kryptowhite -Jumpthefence -beutelschlurf -Hanson784 -Gwail -Don Miguel -Seraf -Kelistmac -Glenni -Aaron Graham -Vlasky -PBGV103 -Darknono35 -Evillions -lucky7- Parisian- Jackreid -GuerrilaWarfare -Sim Fox -un1 -Heblem -AlexandrosB13 -Anotn -SimHoTToDDy

jdenm8

That MIS splitter looks great! I hated how bad the old one looked and was going to do a replacement myself, but it looks like I won't have to  ;D

"We're making SimCity, not some dopey casual game." -Ocean Quigley

noahclem

Thanks Alex and Daniel for answering my questions relating to FARHW  :thumbsup:  It sounds like your priorities for implementing new FARHW content are spot on! I suspect something similar is already on the "later rather than sooner" list but it'd also be great to see wider FARHW splitters eventually, like RHW-10 to RHW-6+FARHW-4 and RHW-8S to RHW-4+FARHW-4.

Those new splitters and transitions are looking great! Is any consideration being given to a version of Maarten's splitter without the 1-tile gap between the RHW-6 & RHW-4?

Besides thanking you or your replies the main reason I wrote was the I think I may have a really good idea  &idea  Do I remember correctly that work on diagonal RHW-6 has been brought up in this thread that would see it implemented as a single-tile dragable network? If that was the case some overhang would obviously be needed--but what if we put the overhang on the inside? not only would this allow the highway to take up less space, but it might also allow the inner shoulders of the diagonal RHW-6s to be adjacent in a very visually appealing manner. If people preferred a median they could always put an extra space in between. I don't understand too well how overhanging paths work or if they're even possible (I would think at the least that the inner shoulder and a portion of the innermost lane could at least overhang) but I thought I'd share an idea i thought might have some potential  :)

Tarkus

Thanks for the kind words, guys! :thumbsup:

Quote from: noahclem on December 13, 2010, 11:08:40 PM
Is any consideration being given to a version of Maarten's splitter without the 1-tile gap between the RHW-6 & RHW-4?

I don't think that one had been thought of yet--I like the idea!

Quote from: noahclem on December 13, 2010, 11:08:40 PM
Besides thanking you or your replies the main reason I wrote was the I think I may have a really good idea  &idea  Do I remember correctly that work on diagonal RHW-6 has been brought up in this thread that would see it implemented as a single-tile dragable network? If that was the case some overhang would obviously be needed--but what if we put the overhang on the inside? not only would this allow the highway to take up less space, but it might also allow the inner shoulders of the diagonal RHW-6s to be adjacent in a very visually appealing manner. If people preferred a median they could always put an extra space in between. I don't understand too well how overhanging paths work or if they're even possible (I would think at the least that the inner shoulder and a portion of the innermost lane could at least overhang) but I thought I'd share an idea i thought might have some potential  :)

This is a very interesting idea as well!  Originally, the draggable overhanging-single-tile RHW-6S was mocked up with the V4 textures, and as those textures were wider, it had an overhang on both sides.  The current alignment was chosen mainly to line up on the yellow-line-side of the diagonal RHW-4 (think transition):

However, it doesn't line up quite as nicely with the diagonal RHW-8S (again, with transitions in mind) due to how it had to be situated, and an overhang on the yellow-line side as opposed to the white-line side might mitigate that issue and create a middle ground.  The pathing displacements on the diagonal RHW-4 are -2 and +4 and it may be possible to just squeak the paths in there without having to go into overhanging path land--which, in some instances, does work--namely in situations in which the overhanging path is a width-extension rather than a length-extension (the latter was a focus of many unsuccessful attempts at true underbridge roads), but it can lead to some weird behavior. 

Technical curiosity side note: When I re-started the NWM with Dave (superhands) in early 2009, my initial prototype of the pedestrian paths on the diagonal TLA-3 had them out at weird coordinates like -11,-8.5,0 to keep them from walking in the midst of vehicular traffic.  It physically worked, but caused a bit of commute arrow weirdness and pedestrian automata would "moonwalk" between diagonal tiles for a short distance.

Curiosities aside, I'm curious to try it. :)

-Alex

Haljackey

YES!

This piece is going to be extremely awesome. Do you know why? It's because right now no lanes can break off the RHW-10... you have to narrow it to a RHW-8 in order for that to happen. This changes everything! With it, the RHW-10 will emerge into something it's been striving to be ever since it was released.

Excellent job guys! Loving the progress I've seen here.

MandelSoft

^^ This was EXACTLY the reason why I created this piece in the first place. To be honest, I used this piece once: in my new region Schellingen Stadt I used this piece to make a C/D-system at the Rothfurter Kreuz.
Lurk mode: ACTIVE

Haljackey

Quote from: mrtnrln on December 14, 2010, 11:39:36 AM
I used this piece to make a C/D-system

Yep, this piece would be great to mark the start and end of a C/D or C/E system, or a major split at a highway interchange. It can also work as a transfer between collector and express lanes within the system.

The only thing that could be better is if we had this sign in-game to indicate the start point.

Ryan B.

Quote from: Haljackey on December 14, 2010, 11:55:24 AM
Yep, this piece would be great to mark the start and end of a C/D or C/E system, or a major split at a highway interchange. It can also work as a transfer between collector and express lanes within the system.

The only thing that could be better is if we had this sign in-game to indicate the start point.

That can be arranged, my friends.  ;)

pierrebaptiste

Quote from: Haljackey on December 14, 2010, 10:55:05 AM

Well done  &apls , it's like it : http://maps.google.fr/maps?hl=fr&ie=UTF8&ll=50.61475,3.086101&spn=0.001678,0.004823&t=k&z=18.

I'm very impatient  &hlp to use it and creat a big trafic jam when it's rush hour.  $%Grinno$%

Can you send me this piece ? It's just to test  ::)

Rionescu

All of this looks great. I'd love to see an RHW-10 splitting into two RHW-6s with the middle lane splitting, and on that note I'd love an RHW-8 to RHW-6 and -4 too, which would be pretty similar to what you showed above.

Nevertheless, I'm loving the progress.

GDO29Anagram

Your enthusiasm is apparent, Haljackey. Definitely useful for C/E highways.

Finally, the a-10-tion that RHW-10S deserves...

Actually, I'm still waiting on a more complex splitter... Like an RHW-10S to RHW 2 + RHW-8S Ramp, for example. I drew them on my chart, remember?

(Chart needs revision... I just gotta fit in the M-R and S-X ramps, Rion...)

Maybe I can learn how to make one of those things... I dunno... &Thk/(

Another crazy idea/proposal: Dedicated C/E ramps, like what's shown in some parts in this video I found http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZIMEg4PxRaA, for interchanging a C/E highway without the need for a basketweave. In other words, the RHW equivalent of this:

Quote from: brianwy on October 06, 2010, 06:48:23 PM
things u see are not eyecandy except the overpass for pedestrian...
but they still have a few bugs... so i could not publish them...

(See the slip lanes...?)

Should make replication of the 401 a lot more accurate... That's the only use I see right now...
<INACTIVE>
-----
Simtropolis | YouTube | MLP Forums

Tarkus

Quote from: pierrebaptiste on December 14, 2010, 12:31:03 PM
Can you send me this piece ? It's just to test  ::)

As everything has to be integrated with the NAM Controller, we have to be careful about how the files are distributed and can't send out individual pieces for testing, unfortunately.  Additionally, the piece already has been tested and is simply awaiting the completion of the other features in Version 4.2 before it gets released.

Quote from: Rionescu on December 14, 2010, 01:21:11 PM
All of this looks great. I'd love to see an RHW-10 splitting into two RHW-6s with the middle lane splitting, and on that note I'd love an RHW-8 to RHW-6 and -4 too, which would be pretty similar to what you showed above.

Great ideas as well . . . and quite likely to make it into a 4.x series release--probably 4.3 at the latest. :thumbsup:

And Ganaram, great to see the chart out again . . . I think I worked out a similar chart inspired by yours awhile back . . . now I just need to find it. ::)  It'd be nice to have a more consistent nomenclature for these ramps going forward, as they're going to multiply like rabbits. :D  (New ramp interfaces/splitters are by far the most requested items for the RHW.)

Quote from: GDO29Anagram on December 14, 2010, 03:00:00 PM
Another crazy idea/proposal: Dedicated C/E ramps, like what's shown in some parts in this video I found interchanging a C/E highway without the need for a basketweave. In other words, the RHW equivalent of this:

Should make replication of the 401 a lot more accurate... That's the only use I see right now...

A very crude prototype of something along those lines.  Obviously, it'd need to be cleaned up a bit and perhaps scaled a little differently, but it gets the idea across.

-Alex

Jayster

YES! I've been waiting for a piece like for a long time!  ;D  The only thing I would change is the length of the transition, that right there looks a little to abrupt.

Looks great already!

Jayster

Twinsfan14

Quote from: Tarkus on December 14, 2010, 04:23:24 PM
A very crude prototype of something along those lines.  Obviously, it'd need to be cleaned up a bit and perhaps scaled a little differently, but it gets the idea across.

-Alex
That would be perfect. And also, the same splitter with 1 tile in between would be perfect. It's possible now with regular and inside ramps, but it looks a bit unrealistic.

banditp61

Like the FLEX overpass with using MIS (i think that's what it is called) is it possible to use that for wider over passes? Also will there a possibly to have RHW-10,8,6,8c and 6c overpasses, instead of the normal RHW-4 and MIS?

jdenm8

There is a FlexFly overpass for RHW-4 being made. As for wider ERHW networks, there was an ERHW-6S prototype network shown a couple months ago.
As for the others, who knows?  ;)

"We're making SimCity, not some dopey casual game." -Ocean Quigley

GDO29Anagram

Well, I finally updated my original RHW Ramp Chart. Note that the columns refer to what's splitting off to the right.

As you can see, I included the RHW-4 I/J/L Ramps. I also had to frameshift a few other ramps (The C/D/F ones), just so they'd match better... (Why is the RHW-4 C/D ramp is called an RHW-4 Ramp when there's an RHW-6S splitting into an RHW-4 and MIS and why the RHW-8C C/D Ramp has RHW-8C splits into RHW-6C and MIS and is called an 8C ramp and not a 10C ramp?) If I didn't, we'd have an RHW-14 on our hands...

But then I kept going into all the other letters in the alphabet...

(Ignore the "The rest (C/D/F) are on the chart." part. That's inaccurate.)

... All the way to letter X. The RHW-10 ramps in the third pic would exceed the number of letters in the alphabet, but since there's so few, it may not be necessary to label them with a letter. Or double letter, if you're so inclined...

As I mentioned, I added the TOTSO ramps that Maarten mentioned, but I had to add the other ones, too. To me, they're like the "backwards" version of the A-F ramps, and that's what I originally classified the RHW-6 I/J/L ramps under. Classification of these TOTSO ramps (Or any ramp with the network splitting off to the right being bigger than the network splitting to the left) has proven complicated for me... (More revision, I guess...?)

And I also classified the kinds of splitters there are: What Maarten made was what I would classify as a "Complete" splitter.

What I was hoping to see later on...

Quote from: GDO29AnagramLike an RHW-10S to RHW 2 + RHW-8S Ramp, for example.

... Is an example of an "Incomplete Splitter." Complete splitters have the lanes split evenly. Incomplete splitters have one of the lanes split into two. (It's on the chart, too.) There's a third one (not on the chart) where a ramp splits into two of the same network. They're Dual-Splitters. And we have those for RHW-4 and MIS. This is like a "Special condition" kind of scenario.

This chart applies to all the S-Type networks. C-Type networks are a different story, since there are ramps that double as transitions...
<INACTIVE>
-----
Simtropolis | YouTube | MLP Forums

Kitsune

Quote from: Tarkus on December 14, 2010, 04:23:24 PM

-Alex

Great! Now all it needs is a entrance lane...  Link, and maybe two ramps crossing over Link. The 401 has a ton of great examples. Also... just make sure never to forget the rural side of things .... A Parclo to nowhere (thats along highway 400 near Bobby Orr's hometown)
~ NAM Team Member