• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

CTD upon loading

Started by BruceAtkinson, May 01, 2023, 12:02:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BruceAtkinson

SimCity 4 Deluxe now crashes upon loading.  Most time it will get to the region I request, and the same with the city I ask for.  It will load the city--takes a long time and just as it starts to load the city--it CTD.
 Any suggestions?

jeffryfisher

Are you using the launch setting that limits CPUs to 1? If so, then start showing all launch settings, system parameters etc.
Modding PC games since 1993 (back when we needed hex-editors)

Ulisse Wolf

Quote from: BruceAtkinson on May 01, 2023, 12:02:50 PMSimCity 4 Deluxe now crashes upon loading.  Most time it will get to the region I request, and the same with the city I ask for.  It will load the city--takes a long time and just as it starts to load the city--it CTD.
 Any suggestions?

Have you installed NAM?

BruceAtkinson

Yes version 46...not 47 as of yet.  A few more details regarding my game.  I have been running the same copy for years on two computers...a tower and a laptop.  Every time I update the one I then update the other...however about a year ago my laptop ceased to be operational with the motherboard failing.  So I have taken its hard drive out and put it in an enclosure and connect it to my Tower.  So I am able to access both copies it I wish too...however once it loads to the Region stage, and I pick a city--it will go to the city and start to load.  But only to the second, (with the message on the upper screen changing to the second message...and then CTD occurs.)  This started to happen a couple/three months back at about a 95% time of occurrence rate.
   So I am thinking that I may have to re-install the game... 

Tarkus

Quote from: BruceAtkinson on May 02, 2023, 11:08:50 AMYes version 46...not 47 as of yet.  A few more details regarding my game.  I have been running the same copy for years on two computers...a tower and a laptop.  Every time I update the one I then update the other...however about a year ago my laptop ceased to be operational with the motherboard failing.  So I have taken its hard drive out and put it in an enclosure and connect it to my Tower.  So I am able to access both copies it I wish too...however once it loads to the Region stage, and I pick a city--it will go to the city and start to load.  But only to the second, (with the message on the upper screen changing to the second message...and then CTD occurs.)  This started to happen a couple/three months back at about a 95% time of occurrence rate.
  So I am thinking that I may have to re-install the game... 
The CTD-on-city-load is often a sign of the 4GB Patch not being installed (or installed properly) with a full-blast NAM install.  It can also happen if you have other resource-intensive programs open at the same time as SC4, which can create a bottleneck for SC4 to access the RAM it needs.

-Alex

-Alex