• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

NAM Issues Thread - PLEASE POST YOUR NAM QUESTIONS AND PROBLEMS HERE

Started by jahu, June 03, 2007, 10:15:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wiimeiser

Looks like what you really need is a piece where the turning lanes go in opposite directions. Granted, that would be good to have anyway.
Pink horse, pink horse, she rides across the nation...

mgb204

Such a setup is actually illogical, look at the FTL Left Turns, they lead in directions that are invalid.

In this situation, you would be better served using the OWR SITAP intersections, which won't add turn lanes but will add correct traffic flow arrows and lights.

FTL_Example.jpg

To create this, just drag Road from the intersection one tile into the 'incoming' OWR.

nickWtn

Okay well I don't know how I completely missed which way the left FTL arrow was facing but that would explain why I've not encountered that issue previously oh well thanks for the suggestion.

Quote from: mgb204 on June 17, 2022, 07:41:00 AMSuch a setup is actually illogical, look at the FTL Left Turns, they lead in directions that are invalid.

In this situation, you would be better served using the OWR SITAP intersections, which won't add turn lanes but will add correct traffic flow arrows and lights.

FTL_Example.jpg

To create this, just drag Road from the intersection one tile into the 'incoming' OWR.

Tarkus

We are going to be adding "Dual Type 110" setups (initially in a limited capacity) specifically to allow those sorts of things at some point in the near future, as they're actually needed for some of the QuickChange Xpress diamond setups.  Adding in some OWR support is also in the plans (especially such situations are ubiquitous very close to me).

-Alex

-Alex

Tarkus

Quote from: dyoungyn on June 16, 2022, 06:11:40 PMUpdate to this, the EA version comes already installed RHW (version I cannot figure out) with Flex pieces and MWM and even drawable road and with FAR3 just fine.  I am not sure what this is all about.  Before I install the NAM44 and copy my city backup, I want to check with you about NAM 44 install over the factory installed version.

@dyoungyn, most likely, that's your existing Plugins folder from your previous installation.  If you've uninstalled the game, or simply installed a different version, your existing Plugins folder (and really, the whole My Documents\SimCity 4 folder) stays in tact and is not removed, unless you manually delete it.

If you bought the game from Origin (EA's official online platform), that's the absolute worst copy to own, because it's unpatched and unpatchable.  Technically, since it's stuck at Version 1.1.610, it's below the minimum requirements to run the NAM (and would have run afoul of our version check that existed between NAM 31.2 and NAM 36).  The mod might technically run, but there's so many other bugs that exist within Version 1.1.610 (or the old European version of it, 1.1.613) that we can't offer any technical support to anyone who is running it, other than to advise users to not buy or run the Origin version.  See my blog for more details.

The same goes, of course, goes with running older versions of the NAM.  The only technical support we can offer is to advise users to run the most recent version--currently NAM 44.

-Alex

als98

I'm having trouble building this RHW 8S D1 Inside ramp. How do I override the missing tile? (sorry having trouble inserting the image to this thread)
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1hHYA5OaHXVO03Jk-IoztO-iKQAq9f0wm/view?usp=sharing

LucarioBoricua

@als98 Try the following steps:

This is a starting configuration, which I'm sure you did manage to get well based on your screenshot:

Connect the inner RHW-8S lanes to the ramp interface:

Extend the lanes following the ramp interface (in this case RHW-6S) and then extend the outer RHW-8S lane until seeing the transitional stub:

You'll likely see this instability, click on each of the non-matching textures to correct this:

Your ramp interface should look correct now. We'll check the status of the RUL code, there seems to be some errors here. I'll continue showing the steps for RHW-10S following immediately, with similar steps:

Contrary to the RHW-8S ramp, the RHW-10S D1 inside ramp has continuing outer lanes for RHW-8S, make sure to drag them out. Until we get more fixes, you'll see these are RHW-10S lanes:

Then drag out the inner lanes, which should be RHW-8S/10S. You might have the RHW-6S lanes coming up if you do these before the outer lanes:

For RHW-10S, make sure to correct the override by clicking the outer lanes to force the RHW-8S override to take over downstream of the ramp:

At the end, you should be able to get to this configuration for the RHW-10S D1 inside ramp

DeclantheMayor

Although this is also present in the vanilla game, traffic lights and signs are still right-hand traffic even when left-hand traffic is enabled. Should this be fixed?
TBA

Tarkus

Quote from: DeclantheMayor on July 03, 2022, 02:15:35 AMAlthough this is also present in the vanilla game, traffic lights and signs are still right-hand traffic even when left-hand traffic is enabled. Should this be fixed?
The main reason it's still an issue with the NAM as well as the vanilla game is because it'd require modifying thousands (if not tens of thousands) of Type 21 exemplars to change the prop placement.  I was able to do a trick with the FLEX Turn Lanes, to flip their signals/signs without T21 modification, because their LHD handling is RUL-based rather than using the game's standard LHD reversal routine.  However, that's not so much feasible with the default network content.

It's long been on our list, but it's been a lower priority.  I'll note, however, we've been taking a closer look at the LHD side of the mod of late (part of the reason development of new features for NAM 45 had been on hold), and we're also looking at the state of signal props (the Maxis defaults' height is an issue with some L1 content), so it's something we'll likely investigate further in the near future.

-Alex

mgb204

Whilst LHD support was never properly implemented by Maxis, for example all Rail content will drive on the right without NAM, a number of 3rd party mods do help. See the article I wrote here, which will point you to mods that better implement LHD support for both Traffic Lights and Rail Crossings.

Wiimeiser

One of the pieces on the L1 RHW over Road interchange (the first new one in the tab ring) is broken, at least in LHD. One of the intersection pieces gets overridden with a blank tile, and no amount of clicking around fixes it. There's also no way to place the pieces manually, at least, I haven't found out how to do so. I'll need to do some more testing, but I think it's specific to LHD and is trying to load the RHD version of the piece.

EDIT: The issue happens with every instance of the tile to the South and West, regardless of the interchange's orientation relative to the construction tile.

Also, it is LHD exclusive, I switched to RHD and didn't get the issue. I haven't tried loading a broken LHD interchange with the game in RHD yet, though.

EDIT2: Forgot to mention that it does work perfectly fine until the tile is updated by drawing a network close by (such as by dragging out of the FTL), it's only on a subsequent update that it breaks.
Pink horse, pink horse, she rides across the nation...

ettre

Hi all, I have just installed NAM for the first time on a mac, and the RHW-6S starter and draggables do not render correctly: instead of highway, I get blank white boxes. I tried packing the files, and that didn't do anything. Any advice? (I did try reinstalling NAM and no luck)

Ulisse Wolf

Quote from: ettre on October 13, 2022, 01:20:21 PMHi all, I have just installed NAM for the first time on a mac, and the RHW-6S starter and draggables do not render correctly: instead of highway, I get blank white boxes. I tried packing the files, and that didn't do anything. Any advice? (I did try reinstalling NAM and no luck)

This problem seems to stem from the OpenGL renderer used by the Mac version which emulates DirectX somehow. As of yet we (the NAM team), have not been able to find a workaround or fix for this Mac specific issue. For some networks, simply exiting the city and reloading may cause them to display correctly, but it could go either way. Other pieces just always display white no matter what.

A remote hypothesis that textures are missing but I think the problem you are having is generated by the OpenGL Render that cannot be repaired

TomK

Scenario. NAM roads and avenues cause massive traffic jams at railroad crossings. Crossings are impossible to avoid when running a rail line through a busy IND area or into a Center City train station

Problem: None of the NAM roads or avenues are compatible with the any of the FLUP or overpasses.

Solution: ??

Tarkus

Quote from: TomK on October 22, 2022, 07:55:54 PMScenario. NAM roads and avenues cause massive traffic jams at railroad crossings. Crossings are impossible to avoid when running a rail line through a busy IND area or into a Center City train station

Problem: None of the NAM roads or avenues are compatible with the any of the FLUP or overpasses.

If you're referring to the override networks included in the Network Widening Mod (NWM), there are indeed no elevated viaducts, nor any support for FLUPs or URail crossings for them.  The solution is going to come in the form of a future NAM update.  NWM Viaducts are the most likely to come first, though I can't give any sort of definitive answer as to when that will happen.

-Alex

jeffryfisher

Quote from: TomK on October 22, 2022, 07:55:54 PMProblem: None of the NAM roads or avenues are compatible with the any of the FLUP or overpasses.

Use the FLUPs that do exist, and then drag your NWM override into it to create a transition. For example, run a Maxis avenue FLUP under a rail line, careful to build exactly two cells of avenue length beyond the end of the ramp. Then drag something like TLA-5 into that stub. Road works similarly, but I think you need only one cell off the end of the ramp. I haven't used any street overrides, so you'll have to try your own experiments to find what's possible.
Modding PC games since 1993 (back when we needed hex-editors)

druidlove

So, what happened to the DD-RHW 4 transition pieces? The network is available itself in the starter piece ring, but the transition DDRHW4 to RHW 4 L1/L2 is no longer available

edit: I didn't see it is being revamped for NAM 46, so I'll take this back.

Tarkus

Quote from: druidlove on October 24, 2022, 03:51:46 PMSo, what happened to the DD-RHW 4 transition pieces? The network is available itself in the starter piece ring, but the transition DDRHW4 to RHW 4 L1/L2 is no longer available

edit: I didn't see it is being revamped for NAM 46, so I'll take this back.
The new FLEX Width Transitions cover the DDRHW-4 transition, actually.  Hook the DDRHW-4 into the RHW-2 end, and it should convert. See here:

The old puzzle pieces are still available, but they're now ensconced in a menu that isn't installed by default, and needs to be explicitly selected in the installer.  This has been the case since the FLEX Width Transitions debuted in NAM 42 (August 2021).  The option is under the "a_Legacy Support" section under the RealHighway options in the NAM installer.

Generally speaking, unless there's something actually wrong with the old puzzle piece (see the two NAM 31-era RHW-6C and 8C transition puzzle pieces), we won't remove them.  We will, however, hide them under menu buttons that aren't installed by default, as soon as the newer FLEX/draggable equivalents are able to do everything the puzzle piece could.  This serves to alleviate the complaints from certain corners of our userbase, who desire more minimal menus and TAB Loops (which the FLEX and draggable paradigm much better allows), but still allows long-time users to have access to the now-deprecated puzzle pieces, if they really want them.

-Alex

druidlove

Thanks Alex... that helps ... sort of.  I did find that the transition does not always work on the drag version. The following picture illustrates it.

sc pic1.jpg

In addition, the wishbone version, while it states it will work, does not work on either end.

TomK

After playing around a bit, figured out the workaround. bulldoze the Turning Lane Avenue, TLA-3, 4 tiles from the railway.

NAM Rail Overpass.jpg

Plop the Standard (Maxis) Rail Overpass over the rail. A TLA-3 to Road transition will connect the bridge to the TLA-3

NAM Rail Overpass2.jpg