• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

zzz plugins

Started by mindaugas, August 19, 2010, 01:29:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mindaugas

Is it ok to put all the zzz plugins in a separate folder, NOT to be packed. Or do they need to be in the "root" of plugins as separate files? Or what if I put them in a folder called zzz and then pack it? Won't it still load last?

wouanagaine

if you want to make them load last, the easy solution is to keep them in the zzz folder unpacked
The other solution is to make sure you only have a plugin_compressed folder

New Horizons Productions
Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dmscopio ♦ dedgren ♦ emilin ♦ Ennedi ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley
M4346 ♦ moganite ♦ Papab2000 ♦ Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine
Divide wouanagaine by zero and you will in fact get one...one bad-ass that is - Alek King of SC4

jmyers2043

I have several ZZZ folders. One is a temporary storage tank where I keep my new downloads between Dat Pack sessions. The other is for those things that have to load last, such as the Peg railroad and water facelift mods.

QuoteOr do they need to be in the "root" of plugins as separate files?

It may not load last.

QuoteOr what if I put them in a folder called zzz and then pack it? Won't it still load last?

Not sure as I've not actually tried that per se. But why take the chance. Simply remove the ZZZ folder prior to dat packing. Then put it back afterwards.

I discovered from experience that a ZZZ folder does not always load last. It happened when I was making 'new' lots out of the Maxis farms and doing a SAVE instead of a SAVE AS. The reason was so my new farm lots would be the ones that grow in the game. As it turned out? The CAM loaded afterwards and that overwrote 'my' farms back to the orignal Maxis ones. I tried all sorts of file names ... AAA_Dat pack ... ZZZ_Dat Pack ... didn't help. I now (to this day) move my compressed and packed folders to C:\Program Files\Maxis\SimCity 4\Plugins. That insures they load before anything in \My Documents\SimCity 4\Plugins

So my answer if you really want something to load first and really want something to load last is to put the first in C:\Program Files\ . . .  and the last file in \My Documents\ . . . Although, that should only be necessary if you have a tendency to tinker with lots as you go along. I often dat pack stuff then change things afterwards. Obviously I want my 'improved' stuff to load last. Hence the reason for my method. 

Good Luck

- Jim

Jim Myers  (5th member of SC4 Devotion)

mindaugas

thanks, good info to know. I have yet to tinker with any lots, so I assume that means I'm ok?

jmyers2043

Here is some information you might be interested in.

http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=10542.0

You should be just fine if you dat pack those things you wish to grow in every city. Then put the things to load last in a zzz folder. It does not sound like you have multiple things loading ... e.g. Maxis farms from Simcity_1.dat  --- the same farms inside the CAM --- the same files again only this time modified for my game.  ::)   

Jim Myers  (5th member of SC4 Devotion)