• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

BSC Functional, Upgradeable Seaports - Development

Started by RippleJet, May 21, 2008, 01:23:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RippleJet

Similarily to how the AC Functional Airports have been developed, we are making functional, upgradeable seaports.
This thread is a showcase of different seaports and their development.

A support thread, similar to the one for the airports will be opened when we get closer to a release date. ::)

Seaports only have one purpose in game, they provide a means for the industry to export goods.
There are three built-in means to export goods out of a city:
   1. By freight trucks across the city border
   2. By freight trains across the city border
   3. By freight trucks to a seaport

Using transit switches it's simple to convert freight trains into freight trucks though.
Thus, a seaport can be made to appear as if it accepts freight trains as well.

Each "trip" of exported goods (over a seaport or over a border crossing) provides an industrial CAP relief of 20.
Each "trip" of exported goods over seaports (but not over border crossings) provides a commercial CAP relief of 2.

The first upgradeable custom seaport was actually showcased by Barby more than 50 days ago...

Note that this is not a collection of separately plopped seaports. $%Grinno$%
The seaport actually upgrades, and it upgrades automatically, as soon as there's need for more capacity.

RippleJet

Agriculture exports goods as well...
But none of the existing seaports fits very well in a rural environment.
Thus, out of the creative hands of Barby, Jestarr and Citynut comes this: &apls

wouanagaine

New Horizons Productions
Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dmscopio ♦ dedgren ♦ emilin ♦ Ennedi ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley
M4346 ♦ moganite ♦ Papab2000 ♦ Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine
Divide wouanagaine by zero and you will in fact get one...one bad-ass that is - Alek King of SC4

jplumbley

"You learn something new everyday."

http://img517.imageshack.us/img517/169/nhpjplumbleykv3.gif
Bringing the new horizons closer to reality.

Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dmscopio jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦ Dedgren ♦ Ennedi Shadow Assassin ♦  Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine
Street Addon Mod - SAM

RippleJet

Continuing on the rural subject... here's another small town / rural seaport, with docks made by Citynut. :)

Alfred.Jones

That is awesome! I've always have been annoyed that there are no seaports for rural areas. This is awesome

Cannot wait to use them :thumbsup:

Sim City 4 Devotion

Xperian

Wow, these are awesome. How the seaport can upgrade itself and improves as your city improves is amazing.  &apls I especially love the detail on the third one but they all look great!

JoeST

This isnt just awesome, this is SUPER AWESOME!!!
Copperminds and Cuddleswarms

BarbyW

The first one will have more props etc before it is released. That was one of the first sets I made and made quite quickly to get into my Grand River Valley region play at ST.
Inside every old person is a young person wondering what happened. TP

Barbypedia: More alive than the original

simdad1957

It's too bad that this project could not be made compatible with PEG's work. His waterfront lots including his functional container and break bulk seaports are quite handsome and add immensely to the coastline of my cities. It would be very difficult (heartbreaking really) for me to have to bulldoze them to install this Mod. This would really destroy the character of my established cities.

Any ideas? Do you guys talk to PEG at all?
Go Sens!!

RippleJet

Quote from: simdad1957 on May 24, 2008, 07:23:31 AM
It's too bad that this project could not be made compatible with PEG's work. His waterfront lots including his functional container and break bulk seaports are quite handsome and add immensely to the coastline of my cities. It would be very difficult (heartbreaking really) for me to have to bulldoze them to install this Mod. This would really destroy the character of my established cities.

Nothing would be easier than to include all three seaports Peg has made, the CDK3 Container Port, the CDK3 Break Bulk Port and the CSK2 Small Port.
And the Container Port would in that case not be replacing the ingame seaport.
However, in order to ensure that we do not cause CTD's, Pegs lots (only the lots, not the models) would have to be included in our file, "BSC Functional Seaports.dat".

The license agreement of Peg's creations effectively stops us from including them though:

Quote from: Pegasus, readme_257.htm
This product is the exclusive property of Pegasus Productions and SimPeg.Com. This product is provided for the sole recreational use of the individual who obtained it from the authorized download site. This product may not be modified, reused or redistributed in any manner. Licenses to modify and Commercial-use licenses can be purchased via email request to licenses@simpeg.com

I will probably be making my own version though, including Peg's port...
But we cannot distribute it without breaking his license.

Quote from: simdad1957 on May 24, 2008, 07:23:31 AM
Any ideas? Do you guys talk to PEG at all?

We did. &mmm
But when suggested, Peg didn't want/need our cooperation:

Quote from: Pegasus
Its impractical because it means someone or some group has control over all related development. It would also require players to only use lots "sanctioned" by that individual or group and to update the control file everytime one of those "sanctioned" files was released.  Complicated... unnecessary... impractical... IMHO.  But do carry on if you feel there is a need and true benefit to the community.

Don't worry about the CDK seaports or the CSK2 seaport. They will be released with a disclaimer stating that they are NOT compatible with any other custom seaports or seaport control mods.... so there shouldn't be any confusion.

Quote from: Pegasus
Personally, I think the point is moot. Unless someone is planning on cranking out a s***load of new shipyards, where is the need?  Rarely can a player use more one than one in a city... and exactly how many to choose from do you need? The menus are too full as is is. Who really needs icons for a string of shipyards you won't use?  Especially, having to install them all just to use the only one you want...

If you've read AC Functional, Upgradeable Airports, Support Thread,
you know how we take care of removing seaports and airports from the menu without causing CTD's.

The discussion at Peg's site stopped with him blocking me and Barby from accessing his site.
As it is now out of our control, we ask for any further discussion regarding it to be taken at Peg's site.
Or via PM to me. We'd like not to discuss matters concerning other sites here.

vester

I really like that you are doing so different kind of seaports for fit different kind of cities.

Hope to see a few more seaports.

Citynut

these are awesome - I know I cant wait to use them - what he didnt tell you is I made the building(s) except for the first one that is Jestarr's and I also made most of the boats you see. boy I cant wait for these to go live
I'm nutty and I Bat and they're coming for me with the white coats again

Diggis

These look great guys.  I especially like the small rural looking ports.  Are you planning any inland ports for canals?

RippleJet

Quote from: Diggis on May 25, 2008, 12:57:35 PM
Are you planning any inland ports for canals?

Maybe we are... maybe someone is working on them... ::)

Alfred.Jones

Quote from: RippleJet on May 25, 2008, 01:08:04 PM
Maybe we are... maybe someone is working on them... ::)

I love the definite answer :thumbsup: :P

Sim City 4 Devotion

HandsOn

Say, Tage: seaports on one side; airports on the other - what's next? Upgradeable space ports and full-scale migration to SimPlanet?  &apls.

Since your airport project will be ready on (whichever) Monday, I can reserve Tuesday for redoing my seaports, ja?  ()stsfd()

Why not visit The Empire MD
Just updated on July 2nd, 2008
And after the game's done.. - The Storyteller's Logbook

RippleJet

Quote from: HandsOn on May 26, 2008, 01:27:42 AM
Say, Tage: seaports on one side; airports on the other - what's next? Upgradeable space ports and full-scale migration to SimPlanet?  &apls.

Shhh, don't tell them too much... :D

Quote from: HandsOn on May 26, 2008, 01:27:42 AM
Since your airport project will be ready on (whichever) Monday, I can reserve Tuesday for redoing my seaports, ja?  ()stsfd()

Ok, I've picked a Tuesday in my calendar... ::)

BarbyW

I would reserve a week for each, HandsOn, not just a day. :thumbsup:
Inside every old person is a young person wondering what happened. TP

Barbypedia: More alive than the original

HandsOn

Quote from: BarbyW on May 26, 2008, 01:38:02 AM
I would reserve a week for each, HandsOn, not just a day. :thumbsup:
Between that and my CJ/MD and constantly checking what's new on the sites I am beginning to lose sleep here - this is torture. Finally I know what happend to the Spanish Inquisition (sorry Jeronji) Monty Python always mentioned..  :P

Why not visit The Empire MD
Just updated on July 2nd, 2008
And after the game's done.. - The Storyteller's Logbook