• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

The 'Lone Star' Mod

Started by Ryan B., January 08, 2009, 08:30:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ryan B.

'Lone Star Road' Mod

General Description:  This mod will change SC4's networks to have more of a Texas feel.

What This Mod Will Include:  Updated signage, traffic signals, and network textures.

Timetable for Release:  Don't even think about it.  I haven't.

Preview Pictures:

Recent News:  I am requesting assistance with putting this mod together.  I am recruiting persons with knowledge of T21 exemplars, the importing & exporting of images (as I'm having major problems with it), and general mod packaging.  If you're willing to teach, I'm willing to do my best to learn.

More Information Coming Soon!

pilotdaryl

Sounds great!  Are you planning to do vertical signals as well?

Pat

Hey Ryan those look real great soo far there wow!!!!

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

metarvo

It's too bad that I have no ability whatsoever at T21s or modding in general, so I'm sorry to say that I can't help you in that department.  Even so, I truly anticipate this mod.  Since it has been mentioned, I will elaborate on horizontal and vertical signals.  To be honest, Texas uses both orientations.  It should also be noted that the use of horizontal vs. vertical tends to be a city-wide choice.  Any given Texas city will likely use one orientation exclusively, without mixing the two.  The horizontal orientation seems to be more plentiful, so IMHO that would be the best one to use if only one can be used.  Of course, you have done a fine job on those signals, Ryan.

&apls
Find my power line BAT thread here.
Check out the Noro Cooperative.  What are you waiting for?  It even has electricity.
Want more? Try here.  For even more electrical goodies, look here.
Here are some rural power lines.

Heblem

Looks an interesting project! I can help if you wish in doing some texturing for this mod...  ;)

Nexis4Jersey

Sounds like a great  &idea , I'll be watching this one closely!

thundercrack83

This is a project I will most definitely be keeping my eyes on, Ryan!

If the signals you've show thus far are any indication, this is going to be a welcome addition to the game, to say the absolute least! Groundbreaking seems like a better term!

Keep up the fine work here, my friend!

Dustin

MandelSoft

Maybe this link can be usefull:

How to create T21 exemplars (Swamper77's way)

I hope this will give you the ability to make T21's (which is mainly a process of trial-and-error). Although this won't be fir any use to me, I whish this project success!

Best,
Maarten
Lurk mode: ACTIVE

Ryan B.

Quote from: pilotdaryl on January 08, 2009, 09:05:12 PM
Sounds great!  Are you planning to do vertical signals as well?

I wasn't planning on doing verticals.  What metarvo said sums up why:

Quote from: metarvoThe horizontal orientation seems to be more plentiful, so IMHO that would be the best one to use if only one can be used.

Quote from: HeblemLooks an interesting project! I can help if you wish in doing some texturing for this mod... 

Thanks for your offer!  Keep an eye on your PM inbox, because you never know.  ;)

Quote from: metarvoIt's too bad that I have no ability whatsoever at T21s or modding in general, so I'm sorry to say that I can't help you in that department.  Even so, I truly anticipate this mod.  Since it has been mentioned, I will elaborate on horizontal and vertical signals.

Believe it or not, you have already helped a great deal.  You're my eyes down there - quite obviously, you can see what I can't.  I have a feeling I'm going to be asking you a lot of questions.  :P  Thank you for everything you've already done!

Quote from: mrtnrlnMaybe this link can be usefull:

How to create T21 exemplars (Swamper77's way)

I hope this will give you the ability to make T21's (which is mainly a process of trial-and-error). Although this won't be fir any use to me, I wish this project success!

Maarten, one of the reasons I've taken this on is to learn some more advanced modding.  I did take a look through that tutorial, and I'm not gonna lie - it scared me a little bit.  :P  I'm looking forward to learning about how SC4 really works.

Dustin (thundercrack83), Corey (Nexis), and Pat:

Thank you for showing your interest!  I realize that, once this is finished, not everyone will want to use it.  That's OK in my book.  I'm doing this to learn more about the game, and to make the game more realistic (in my eyes).

I hope y'all will continue to follow along through my journey here. 

tag_one

Don't worry Ryan, making T21 exemplar props isn't that hard. It's basically the same as making normal props. In the PIM you should add a 'Resourse Key Type 1xm'. This property allows the prop to be displayed on mirrored intersection. Adding these properties now prevents a lot of head scratching in the future :D
I recommend you to start with replacing traffic signs. You can use my street intersection mod as a template. This will probably save you quite a lot of time since all of the signs are already on the right place with the right rotation ;)
Good luck with puzzling and don't hesitate to ask a question. 

Ryan B.

Hey, everyone - sorry for the lack of updates so far.  I can tell you that I'm going to be starting with some smaller stuff, like replacing the game's traffic signals with the ones you see above.

I hope to have some progress to show soon.

j-dub

These new lights are great, but how about you have the colors visible under the yellow like this?

http://www.picvalley.net/u/1056/212102237.JPG

This is not an attempt to race this design in game, just a demonstration.

Ryan B.

That would be cool, j-dub!  I'll have to see if I can replicate what you've done.

Also, speaking of 'progress', I've managed to make some with some signage:

j-dub

I think I spy a future addition to the SPM. This would change the SPM from just having speed limits. That is not going to be until way, way later, but if those signs were added to the SPM we could choose the distance of warning. I don't know how you originally wanted to implement those signs. By that time I believe there will be a tutorial on how to add a T-21 prop family for the SPM. If this is a test of scale, then personally I'd go with the ones on the right, because you can see it better. People have decided that real proportions are not always the best for SC4 because of low visibility. They fit in better with the new readable English stop signs that have been made anyway.

metarvo

That looks really fine, Ryan.  As a follow-up to what j-dub has said about the sign sizes, it's true that even in RL some signs are larger than others, like the ones seen on expressways and highways, so I must also say that I like the larger ones better.  Keep up the good work here, Ryan.  I'm ready for more.  :thumbsup:
Find my power line BAT thread here.
Check out the Noro Cooperative.  What are you waiting for?  It even has electricity.
Want more? Try here.  For even more electrical goodies, look here.
Here are some rural power lines.

thundercrack83

Looking good, Ryan!

We can never have too much signage for the game, can we?

Keep up the fantastic work, my friend!

Dustin

sithlrd98

I've been looking for some signs like that! Also looking for some "wrong way" and "curve ahead" signs. Looking good!
J-dub: Like the light! :thumbsup:

Jayson

Ryan B.

Well, here we go, folks . . . . my first foray into semi-advanced modding.

*deep breath*

Here's what happened:

Not exactly perfection, but it's a good place to start.

Pat

Ryan good try and hey at least you do have lights on the corner  ;)  I do love the lights and I cant wait to help out in any way you may need there!!

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

j-dub

Ryan, my assumption is those traffic lights are not animated from how the game does stuff, and since that, it wouldn't matter if you wanted to put them after the intersection. Then again, I wouldn't want to make you start over. Yeah I know the avenue is tricky. I originally wanted to exemplar avenue signals myself, but it just didn't work out with the original ones.