• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

RHW (RealHighway) - Development and Support

Started by Tarkus, April 13, 2007, 09:10:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Patricius Maximus

Is that normal traffic, or from traffic generators? Doesn't really matter, as I'm more fond of the RHW-6S, as I can put a large median in that.

nerdly_dood

@ SA: Nood work on the Euro RHW! You might want to post that picture in the Show Us Your Traffic/Accidents thread here.
My days here are numbered. It's been great and I've had a lot of fun, but I've moved on to bigger and better things.
—   EGO  VOBIS  VADELICO   —
Glory be unto the modder and unto the fun and unto the city game!

metarvo

Quote from: nerdly_dood on September 04, 2008, 03:17:38 PM

2-lane avenue:

Nerdly_dood, where did you get that wealth-dependent texture under the MIS?  The MIS in my cities always displays a medium-density concrete texture to the sides.  I must also ask what MIS texture you are using.  Is it Shadow Assassin's?
Find my power line BAT thread here.
Check out the Noro Cooperative.  What are you waiting for?  It even has electricity.
Want more? Try here.  For even more electrical goodies, look here.
Here are some rural power lines.

SimsReporter

I thought that is standered for the MIS, Low wealth, Medium, and High. Oh, must be wrong. But a great idea for the 2 lane avenue  :thumbsup:

I also tried to do this in my cj a few months ago. But i used it as a highway to a diffrent town.

but i also get a problem when trying a MIS connection, it alwasy points out (arrow) not in for the incoming traffic.

And My Fake ARD - 3

Sorry For the .PNG
Come visit My (SLR) Project Thread. Located in the Nam Creations Forum.

deathtopumpkins

SimsReporter: MIS/RHW can't make neighbor connections. That would probably explain your arrow problem.

From stickied post:
Quote8.  Why are only freight trucks able to use my RHW-4 or RHW-6 neighbor connection?

There are some issues with the neighbor connection functionality on all the overriden forms of the RHW (RHW-4, RHW-6S, MIS), due to the fact that normal car traffic requires both an exit point and and entry point for all neighbor connections.  While technically, there is an entry point and and exit point on the RHW, the game is not able to recognize that the entry point is on another tile, due to the RHW being a single-tile network by default (thus, the RHW-2 neighbor connection works fine). 

There are, however, a couple of workarounds for the RHW-4, one which involves converting to another network (Avenue or Maxis Highway) and another, which will work on RHW-4s with any width median, explained here.  Future versions will improve neighbor connection functionality.

Haljackey: Yeah, converting it to OWR for the intersection. That should work excellently with a proper transition, and look good too!
NAM Team Member | 3RR Collaborater | Virgin Shores

Tarkus

Quote from: deathtopumpkins on September 06, 2008, 11:31:02 AM
Haljackey: Yeah, converting it to OWR for the intersection. That should work excellently with a proper transition, and look good too!

Well, eventually, I'm planning on adding optional turn lanes for the MIS, too (probably in Version 22, but we'll see), and those would make sense to signalize.  I agree, though, that having a stop sign would make more sense.  I'll go ahead and continue with getting more T21s added in though. 

And apparently, I need to check over the 6C paths :D . . . in my testing I did, the crossover paths worked fine, but the traffic volumes I was having were only around 500 or so.  I'd be curious to know what the actual traffic volume was in that pic.  :P

I'll be back in a little bit with more RHWiness--I've been splicing up my new ramp interface textures into 128x128 squares, to get them ready to import.  May be a couple other surprises, too. ;)  Let the teasing commence!

-Alex (Tarkus)

deathtopumpkins

Quote from: Tarkus on September 06, 2008, 01:05:55 PM
Well, eventually, I'm planning on adding optional turn lanes for the MIS, too (probably in Version 22, but we'll see), and those would make sense to signalize.  I agree, though, that having a stop sign would make more sense.  I'll go ahead and continue with getting more T21s added in though.

Wow, that sounds great! I'd check the option. ;D
You could still leave the signals as an option though.

Patricius Maximus

Yes, leave the signals as an option please. I'm not sure I'd like that.

Please keep teasing us (soon, I hope).

Tarkus

Quote from: Patricius Maximus on September 06, 2008, 02:56:53 PM
Yes, leave the signals as an option please. I'm not sure I'd like that.

Please keep teasing us (soon, I hope).

Well, I can indeed leave two different T21s in there--one for stop signs, one for signals, so you can have the option that way.

And yes, the teasing will recommence shortly. ;)

-Alex (Tarkus)

nerdly_dood

Metarvo: Yes, the texture I am using is ShadowAssassin's. That may explain the various-wealth textures.

Tarkus: I'd much prefer that option; around here most highway ramp intersections have a stop sign, only larger ramp interfaces have a traffic light, and I can use RHW-4 for that (and a quick transition to one-way road where needed)

And in Virginia, usually one traffic light per lane is used, but sometimes for intersections where one side has only one lane and no turning lanes, there is a 5-light light with a single red light at the top, then a pair of yellow lights under that with the left one being a left arrow and the right one plain round light, and below that is a pair of green lights with the same arrow/solid round combination, like this:

O 
<- O
<- O

...except the round lights are a solid circle, not a ring.

My days here are numbered. It's been great and I've had a lot of fun, but I've moved on to bigger and better things.

Streetlight 725

Andreas

Quote from: Tarkus on September 06, 2008, 02:16:43 AM
It's a Western US thing.  We tend to have at least two signals at almost every intersection no matter what.  It can be changed, though.

Well, using two signals is common in Germany as well, but in another configuration, as shown in the pic below:

It is done that way because traffic lights are always placed in front of the intersection or pedestrian crossing, and the overhead signal would be hard to see for the first car in the line, or it might be blocked by a large truck in front of you. The signal on the vertical part of the mast is easier to see for those drivers, though.
Andreas

Tarkus

Go wide . . .

(yes, I know they've got a little puzzle discoloration . . . just getting the pieces in place. ;))

-Alex (Tarkus)

Glazert

Horray! RHW-10. It is not that I would use it everywhere, but it is another move (with the MIS) towards being able to use a highway construction kit to make the roads we want where we want them.

JoeST

Copperminds and Cuddleswarms

Earth quake

Wow, really impressive.  :o
I hope that one will be able to make in diagonal and I hope that it will exist a euro version.

Patricius Maximus

I like it.

And, yes, it will come with euro textures. SA is working on a new edition of them concurrent with v21.

deathtopumpkins

EDGE4194

nerdly_dood

:o Ooooh RHW-10! Something tells me that this will be even more modular than I thought, like there will be a starter piece for ... I can't explain what I'm trying to say... but it looks great!