• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

RHW (RealHighway) - Development and Support

Started by Tarkus, April 13, 2007, 09:10:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blue Lightning

For 6C bridges, we'd either have to go the route of the overhang method (my original bridge and SA's bridge) or the puzzle piece - zero slope route (which I'll work on finishing that up once summer rolls around).

Also known as Wahrheit

Occasionally lurks.

RHW Project

godjcjk12

Can't wait for new RHW to come out! It's truly outstanding already.

Much appreciation to everyone involved in its making: Tarkus, Blue Lightning, Twyla, GDO29, and all those who have contributed (Sorry, if I didn't mention your name).

While playing the SC4 this week, I had a little epiphany about ERHW-8, et al (wider networks).

Is it possible to create an ERHW-6, with an overhang to it's right, and an ERHW-1,-2, and so forth, with an overhang to it's left, to form an ERHW-8, -10? Most likely,  moving from the one component to another would not be functional; this would serve as eyecandy. Before the RHW Network transitions from ground to elevated, a ramp splitter, similar to that for RHW-8 to 2 RHW-4, would be plausible. Has this been thought of before?

GDO29Anagram

@godjcjk12: If you're talking about adding overhangs to the ERHWs so that they look like ERHW-8S and -10S, then no, not because it's not possible whatsoever, it's rather unnecessary.

If there's ever gonna be an ERHW-8S, it will be completely functional, without ever having to overhang non-functional lanes. It will be two-tile per direction, like its ground version.

The crossover paths that allow the ground 8S to work can still work even when elevated. Otherwise, the elevated 6C would be non-functional. :P
<INACTIVE>
-----
Simtropolis | YouTube | MLP Forums

godjcjk12

Kitsune

Quote from: j-dub on May 20, 2011, 10:04:05 PM
Considering how strict Maxis is with the being able to cross a network over the first tile up top on their draggable tunnels, I would say that may be too hard to handle. I can barley build a Maxis bridge over a road crossing underneath, because its difficult keeping the long, wide distance of land perfectly level so the road models on each side of the bridge are right. That gets frustrating having to do over so many times.

huh ? What do you mean a maxis bridge over the road? I thought that was impossible... (and ps... I use terrain query to make sure everything is 100%...)
~ NAM Team Member

noahclem

Quote from: godjcjk12 on May 21, 2011, 02:17:57 PMMuch appreciation to everyone involved in its making: Tarkus, Blue Lightning, Twyla, GDO29, and all those who have contributed (Sorry, if I didn't mention your name).

You should really also thank mrtnlrn & shadow assassin who have both done a tremendous amount of work on the new stuff (everything fractional angle is SA & maarten's made a ton of new puzzle pieces and cosmetic pieces, especially involving wider networks). On a less Californian and more European/rest-of-the-world note, riiga and jdenm have created a bunch of new stuff for narrower RHWs which has been shown around here.

You guys rock

--and I have the same question as Kitsune

jdenm8

To take the recent Australian tuning of the American textures further...

A new exit lane texture!

It will replace the existing plain RHW-4 to RHW-6S transition A and will be completely optional. (AKA, not in the NAM)

I'll probably do the same to the other transitions of this type as well.

"We're making SimCity, not some dopey casual game." -Ocean Quigley

samerton

@ jdenm8: Wow! That's really impressive!  &apls

j-dub

Quote from: Kitsune on May 21, 2011, 04:25:47 PM
huh ? What do you mean a maxis bridge over the road? I thought that was impossible... (and ps... I use terrain query to make sure everything is 100%...)
Woops. I did not mean over Maxis Rd, I meant the under bridge model set I thought was on Stex via Road 2 subway transfer that needs 100% evenly flat land. The good news is, this type of thing is easier to do:

Ramona Brie

Quote from: j-dub on May 22, 2011, 07:40:16 PM
Woops. I did not mean over Maxis Rd, I meant the under bridge model set I thought was on Stex via Road 2 subway transfer that needs 100% evenly flat land. The good news is, this type of thing is easier to do:

The neighbor connection isn't quite right there. The diagonal shift needs to be one tile back so that the neighbor connection piece can be placed.

j-dub

Normally, the pieces are how you do it, and I don't usually curve under the Maxis arrows for any network, but notice the Maxis entrance arrow above?

I only shot and did this, because the game still accepts the RHW traffic connection going in and out, without the elevated loop connector because otherwise there would be no commuting traffic on there entirely. I have not seen if anyone else has gotten the Maxis arrows above the dragged El-RHW coming into the city before. Then again, that also is the only neighbor connection on that side of the city, so they kind of have no choice but to figure out they have to use the RHW in and out of there. I would of explained how for instances when empty space is limited, but only if there was enough interest, if not, I just won't give away the secret then.

ivo_su

Some time ago  I was  asked  to show me the intersection  of the  RHW-10 with another ERHW - 6C because Alex had told me that it is ready and I really want to see it.
Else that interested me was the numbering of the versions that follow to come. So what will be after 4.2 RHW 4.3 or RHW 5.0

Thank you
Ivo

Wiimeiser

Just out of curiosity, is there a half version of the new FARHW-4 TuLEPs?
Pink horse, pink horse, she rides across the nation...

GDO29Anagram

@Ivo: Can't really tell you about it right now, but it's a mess if you try to attempt it now. The other developers may have solved that problem or are in the process of having it solved. By then the teasing should begin once again... ;)

I would anticipate 4.3 to come after 4.2 (due to logic), but even I don't know what the true plans are (No one really truly knows). V3 jumped from 3.21 or something directly to 4.0, but that pattern can't be guaranteed. V5 is expected to bring forth Multi-Height RHWs, but even still, that's still a long way's off.

@Wiimeiser: What do you mean by Half FARHW-4 TuLEPs? Can you be more descriptive?
<INACTIVE>
-----
Simtropolis | YouTube | MLP Forums

jdenm8

@Anagram
I think he's talking about half-diagonals, unless he's talking about one half as long.

About these FARHW TuLEPs, what you are looking at is not FARHW TuLEPs. The turn lanes in the piece that ShadowAssassin has made aren't TuLEPs, but rather an extension (Read: completely contained in) of the intersection. It's actually a 6x2 puzzle piece, the half-diamond version will be 4x2 because it will not have the FARHW on the other side.

On the versions... I don't know myself but I have heard murmurs of possible 4.3 inclusions, so I think it could go either way (to 4.3 or straight to 5).

"We're making SimCity, not some dopey casual game." -Ocean Quigley

Tarkus

Regarding ERHW-6C-over-RHW-10, I had it working, though it appears that it's not working with the current controller build.  I never managed to get a screenshot of it, though I did get ERHW-6C-over-RHW-6C (which also currently doesn't work right now).

While I'm at it, here's ERHW-6S-over-RHW-8 (which does still work):

Regarding version numbers, the tentative plan does include having a Version 4.3 after 4.2.  It's uncertain how far we'll go in the 4.x series . . . it kind of depends on whether or not we end up with a "long-haul" between releases or a more incremental approach.  4.2's kind of ended up being a lot more "long-haul" than incremental as originally planned for a lot of reasons, but I'd like to get back to going incremental, and I think my colleagues in the project would as well.  We've kind of codified a "goal" as to what the RHW should contain when it gets to Version 5.0--the full complement of multi-height ERHWs--so that'll really guide how we assign version numbers going forward.

-Alex

Dexter

Just got to say, the new additions look great, can't wait to have a play with these  :thumbsup:

Will there be a Euro version of the new textures, with just literally a white line in place of the yellow?  While the currently available Euro texture sets are great, they're not exactly to my taste (no disrespect intended).

Also is there anything similar to what I've drawn below going to be in the next release?

Why does one park on a driveway, and drive on a parkway?

Twyla

I know that NAM rarely involves itself with LOTs, but one just occurred to me that (in the US, at least) goes hand-in-hand with RHW: Weigh Stations!

Not sure if SC4's internal mechanics could account for it reducing roadway maintenance, or it diverting truck traffic from the adjacent RHW through it (similar to a toll booth), but still...

And Dexter...  (re: your sig)

Same reason that CARgo goes by ship and SHIPments go by truck.

riiga

Quote from: Dexter on May 24, 2011, 09:35:01 AM
Just got to say, the new additions look great, can't wait to have a play with these  :thumbsup:

Will there be a Euro version of the new textures, with just literally a white line in place of the yellow?  While the currently available Euro texture sets are great, they're not exactly to my taste (no disrespect intended).

Also is there anything similar to what I've drawn below going to be in the next release?

I'm quite sure the RHW-8 to MIS+RHW-6S is in, and the diagonal RHW-4 to MIS is in.

(click for full resolution)

jondor

Quote from: Twyla on May 24, 2011, 09:50:46 AM
I know that NAM rarely involves itself with LOTs, but one just occurred to me that (in the US, at least) goes hand-in-hand with RHW: Weigh Stations!

Not sure if SC4's internal mechanics could account for it reducing roadway maintenance, or it diverting truck traffic from the adjacent RHW through it (similar to a toll booth), but still...

And Dexter...  (re: your sig)

Same reason that CARgo goes by ship and SHIPments go by truck.

Funny you should mention that.  I was working on a pair of Weigh Station lots before I was invited to join the NAM team.  They haven't been released yet as I'm not entirely satisfied with them and at this point, I'm going to wait until the new v5 spec RHW textures are released so that I don't have to immediately update the lot.

They won't have an effect on road maintenance (if that's even possible), but they are set up like toll booths (but without the congestion effect) and are modded to pass only truck traffic and to divert said traffic through them.

I did have a development pic running around while I was trying to figure out how to specify custom paths.  Needless to say that as a lot, this will be a totally separate download from the NAM once I'm finished with it.

All new animated railroad crossing props for networks of all sizes! (Phase 1 complete)--> http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=13209

Mostly writing pony stories on FimFiction.net, but Cities: Skylines is my new best friend.  Anything and everything I made for SimCity 4 is fair game for use and distribution.