• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

RHW (RealHighway) - Development and Support

Started by Tarkus, April 13, 2007, 09:10:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sepen77

Quote from: jdenm8 on June 24, 2011, 07:23:32 PM
Xylo's mod still works fine, I use it myself, though I've noticed that the vast majority of users have it installed wrong, evident by barrier, then light, then barrier along RHWs.

I know right? No one ever seems to pay attention to the readme's....
~ Sepen77

ps2owner

Wiimeiser

Yes, though I can't be bothered to find the screenshot. Also, what is Xylo's mod? And a RHW-5?
Pink horse, pink horse, she rides across the nation...

GDO29Anagram

Quote from: Wiimeiser on June 25, 2011, 05:31:20 PM
Yes, though I can't be bothered to find the screenshot. Also, what is Xylo's mod? And a RHW-5?

Xylo's mod? The ones in the sticky post refer to two different T21 mods, one adds lights and barriers, the other adds tower lights to the 6C and 8C.

RHW-5? That could be referring to the idea of having an RHW version of a TLA-5: The TLRHW-5. The problem is that it can't provide zone access. The only true RHW-5 would be one made using RHW-4 on one side and 6S on the other. (Think of the 6S side as having a climbing lane for when you're snaking your RHW-4 through some mountains.)

Quote from: ps2owner on June 25, 2011, 05:11:30 PM
Dare I ask? DDERHW-4 bridges?

Yes, there was one picture. And technically, it's just "DDRHW"; there's no elevated DDRHW, even though it is elevated. A ground DDRHW (L0 and L1) isn't that common.

I'm going to provide links to posts that contains valuable information (and pictures) about DDRHWs.

FAQ for DDRHWs

Bridges and Ramp Interfaces

Picture of an L2 Ramp Interface

REALLY old DDRHW that dates back to version 1.2, just for the heck of it
<INACTIVE>
-----
Simtropolis | YouTube | MLP Forums

Moonraker0

About RHW5, this just refers to RHW version 5.0.

ps2owner

Quote from: GDO29Anagram on June 25, 2011, 06:19:09 PM
Xylo's mod? The ones in the sticky post refer to two different T21 mods, one adds lights and barriers, the other adds tower lights to the 6C and 8C.

RHW-5? That could be referring to the idea of having an RHW version of a TLA-5: The TLRHW-5. The problem is that it can't provide zone access. The only true RHW-5 would be one made using RHW-4 on one side and 6S on the other. (Think of the 6S side as having a climbing lane for when you're snaking your RHW-4 through some mountains.)

Yes, there was one picture. And technically, it's just "DDRHW"; there's no elevated DDRHW, even though it is elevated. A ground DDRHW (L0 and L1) isn't that common.

I'm going to provide links to posts that contains valuable information (and pictures) about DDRHWs.

FAQ for DDRHWs

Bridges and Ramp Interfaces

Picture of an L2 Ramp Interface

REALLY old DDRHW that dates back to version 1.2, just for the heck of it

Thanks for answering my questions!
RHW 5.0 is gonna be sweet!
I suppose you could cut down ramps by half with the new DDRHW.
(Dang spell check on Mozilla is saying that the network abbreviation are misspelled... ::))

Tarkus

An addendum on the ramp interfaces bit . . .

(And before anyone asks, yes, there will be more supports on that long MIS transition in the final version . . . it'll likely be one of the last things done before we wrap up 5.0, however.)

-Alex

Nego

Excellent job, Tarkus! &apls Will there be a transition from L3 MIS to L2 MIS in version 5.0?

JoeST

Copperminds and Cuddleswarms

Nexis4Jersey

We there be curved off ramps for situations like if there was a 2 tile Cliff running next to the highway we could just build a branch ramp and connect to the clifftop?

Exla357

So the DDRHW-4 slopes:
If the ERHW transition is 15 meters over 4 tiles, then it should go to show that the 22 1/2 meter upper deck should be about 5 tiles, but it seems substansially longer. Why is that?

-Alex

GDO29Anagram

Quote from: Exla357 on June 26, 2011, 11:08:04 AM
If the ERHW transition is 15 meters over 4 tiles, then it should go to show that the 22 1/2 meter upper deck should be about 5 tiles, but it seems substansially longer. Why is that?

That's for realism. Plus the current L0 to L2 transitions (ALL OF THEM, EVEN THE NON-RHW ONES) are far too steep. (1 over 4 for most RHW height transitions.)

All these transitions were made when 15m was the norm for overpass height. I know for sure that the custom Ground MHW to El-MHW transition was even longer than the L0 to L2 RHW transition. I believe the High Five's approach ramps are about a mile long...

Quote from: Nego on June 26, 2011, 09:27:23 AM
Will there be a transition from L3 MIS to L2 MIS in version 5.0?

One has to be made sooner or later; It wouldn't make sense if there weren't. :P

Quote from: Nexis4Jersey on June 26, 2011, 10:39:42 AM
We there be curved off ramps for situations like if there was a 2 tile Cliff running next to the highway we could just build a branch ramp and connect to the clifftop?

Can you explain what you mean in detail? "Curved off-ramps" sounds like Maarten's TOTSO Ramp idea, and all that sounds like it could be accomplished using just the On-Slope transitions and the curved transitions.
<INACTIVE>
-----

firefighter57

So since the ramp is crazy high and crazy long, is there going to be any way to build other networks under parts of the ramp that are high enough?

noahclem

Quote from: GDO29Anagram on June 26, 2011, 11:22:58 AM
That's for realism. Plus the current L0 to L2 transitions (ALL OF THEM, EVEN THE NON-RHW ONES) are far too steep. (1 over 4 for most RHW height transitions.)

All these transitions were made when 15m was the norm for overpass height. I know for sure that the custom Ground MHW to El-MHW transition was even longer than the L0 to L2 RHW transition. I believe the High Five's approach ramps are about a mile long...

Agreed  :thumbsup:   In the case of the current L0-L2 RHW transitions there is a rise of 5 meters over a 16 meter distance for the two center tiles--almost a 30% grade, which is much steeper than most mountain roads.

@ firefighter57 - unless that transition is secretly a "waveride" type than other networks can't cross it. You could use 2 separate transitions (L3-L2 and than L2-L1) and cross a network under the L2 section in the middle.

GDO29Anagram

Quote from: firefighter57 on June 26, 2011, 11:37:35 AM
So since the ramp is crazy high and crazy long, is there going to be any way to build other networks under parts of the ramp that are high enough?

I had a similar idea, but with a curved height-transition (I dubbed it the FlexTransCurve). But if the FTC and "FlexTrans" were considered, it would essentially have to be WAVERide, like the FlexFly and FlexSPUI. Other than Noah's suggestion, the other way would be to use a tunnel right under it, but that would begin to fail when you have an elevated network that has to go under the entire thing.

Probably better to not have a FlexTrans (or FTC) that goes directly from 0 to 22.5m, but to have several that goes up one level at a time. (Modularity considerations.)
<INACTIVE>
-----

ivo_su

Whoa it seems that long time has come and RHW is nearing completion.  Congratulations  guys this is a really cool thing whether you  say 4.2 or 5.0. Last Showing  by Alex  was really  inspiring and amazing.  Once again  good job  to all of you.

- Ivo

jdenm8

There were plans to make the ERHW to ERHW transitions use WaveRIDE so you can drag networks under them, but those plans come after actually implementing the pieces.
I'd say not until RHW6.0 at a conservative guess for any new WaveRIDE puzzle pieces.

"We're making SimCity, not some dopey casual game." -Ocean Quigley

Opkl

I think a single-sided parallel ramp like the one for the sunken MHW would be nice for the RHW. It would allow for more urban/compact interchanges. Is something like that possible?

Wiimeiser

You mean a EMIS directly joining a RHW-4?
Pink horse, pink horse, she rides across the nation...

GDO29Anagram

Quote from: Opkl on June 26, 2011, 10:21:48 PM
I think a single-sided parallel ramp like the one for the sunken MHW would be nice for the RHW.

Are you talking about the RHW equivalent of those MHW Ramps that connect to a parallel OWR? If so, that sounds like a Frontage Road interface, which I've also been wanting to see. To me, that would require OWR Ramps with MIS connections, akin to Maarten's AVE-4 ramps, which would then connect to existing RHW ramps.

Watch:

\ ||
\||
  ||

The diagonal is MIS, the straight parts are OWR-2. Problem is that it would require many pieces. What if that were OWR-3 instead and it splits into OWR-2 and MIS, or even RHW-4? All I'm saying that the logistics of such aren't planned out yet, so it would be a while until such pieces are made.
<INACTIVE>
-----