• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Avolon

Started by petercintn, January 18, 2007, 06:51:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Giligone

Lovely town. Its got a great rural and rustic feel... which is I think what you were trying to achieve so good work. I look forward to seeing this develop and progress. My only beef is the mill manager housing is a tad repetative. Otherwise, great work!

thundercrack83

I'm the environmental advisor! Fantastic! I guess I'd better get on that cargo inspection...Great update!

sebes

Wow - I appear to be one of the priviledged first settlers in Avalon. Thanks! :thumbsup:

It's a pity I cannot see any of the pictues except the first and last one. (just see a red cross  :(
Check my MD:               
Rhenen,NN

threestooges

Great landscape, great story, and great overview of Allons. it looks so natural from that angle. The Meadowshire mod looks great too.

emilin

Lovely update! :thumbsup:

One of the houses has a tilted pool that looks kinda funny. I wonder how the water stays in it.  ;D

BlackwaterEmil's inn
Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dmscopio ♦ dedgren
♦ Emilin ♦ Ennedi ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦
papab2000 ♦ Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine

jacqulina

wonderfull work beautifull countryside

bulldog2010

Very beautiful and realistic region you have here. I took a trip to the Missouri/ Tenn./ Arkansas area recently and it does look like that, especially the lakes. As for the farms, "realistic" depends on where you live. Like in Europe the farms tend to be more irregular shaped and smaller and in the US tend to be squarer (if thats a word) and larger. Anyway, you've done a great job so far, looking forward to more.  :thumbsup:

Gaston

Quote from: petercintn on January 18, 2007, 08:25:59 PM
My oldest daughter just graduated from TTU.  Livingston is just about center of the map.   But remember, this map is almost flat compaired to reality.

What year did she graduate from TTU.     It has been ALOT of years since I did.   LOL.     As far as the flatness goes.    Yeah, I sorta figured you must have flatened it out a bit.   LOL.

---Gaston

edit:
Absolutely marvelous update.     Me a CPA???   Hmmmmm    I think the first thing you need is the little "specialty park" over at STEX.   Heh,   then we can talk money.   LOL    BTW, I got a BS in Wildlife Management at Tech.   Money is deffinately something I am not good with.  LMAO
白龍

They say that the memory is the second thing that goes....
...dang , I wish I could remember the first.
WooHoo made Councilman - 05 FEB 07 Yipee made Mayor - 13 MAR 07 Hip Hip Hooray made Governor - 04 AUG 07 Rock On made Senator - 15 MAR 09

petercintn

Thanks for all the comments and help.  Here's some more 'fleshed out pics of Allons for you while I work on Allons' sister city, Tiler Point.  Eventially Allons is hopefully going to become an industrial-shipping area.  But it needs infrastructure.

Gaston: Julia just graduated in Dec.  Got engaged and after 5 & 1/2 years she decided on a teaching degree in english.

bulldog: I fell in love with the foothills area as a boy on our trips to New Market, TN; where some of my familiy hails.  Couldn't make a decent living here, but now that I'm retired, Tenn is home.

jacqulina: not half as nice as yours.

emilin: thanks, hope you like this one better.

threestooges: greastest comedy act ever!  I'm really thinking about giving up the hoky story, don't think I can sustain it for as long as this diary is planned.  I'm really doing this to give me a reason to actually complete a big region.

Giligone: That's what I'm going for.  There may be a city one day in Avolon, but all regions start out rural.  At least I guess so.

mightygoose: Thank's for the help.  Sometimes your too close to your own work so it helps to have objective views, I shall work harder!  I hope you like the way the farms look now that they are more mature.

sebes: thanks for the new post. Keeps me going!  Ah... don't know the problem, I see them all.  I'm using IE7 and the direct link at imageshack.  Anyone else having this problem?  A few details and it should be easily fixed.

thundercrack83:  I will work you to the bone!  And pay peanuts. (Evil laugh)

Fred_Ginger:  I agree.

Alek King of SC4:  Oh King of my region, I will obey and read aforementioned thread as soon as the update you require is posted.  (grovels)  Are you using IE7?  I've heard Firefox may sometimes have a problem with IE7... but I don't know, hope it gets sorted out.  More feedback will help.

Wow, it looks as if imageshack updated there site.  maybe the pics are back up now, I can see them fine.

Now to the update

Hope you enjoyed.  Please offer any help!

Carolina Tar Heels... National Champs again!

pvarcoe

Now that is a nice set of shots. I really like your use of dirt streets and dirt trails.
And the fencing to border your farms is really well done.
It gives a much more finished appearance.

Great update; although now that I think about it, unusually sparse on the storyline ;)

Giligone

Great farms! They are so rich in detail. Very aesthetic. Thats a neat water tower too, I've not seen it before. Good work, keep it up.

threestooges

They are a good comedic team. They don't always get the credit they deserve. If you like them, I would also be interested to hear your opinion of the Marx Brothers. But enough about them for now... there is another update already. The farms look great (especially the 10th one down). I have always like the look of rolling countryside, especially the look of central California and it's Wine Country. You dockyard looks very realistic being sheltered by the island the way it is. Are you planning to expand onto/terraform it? I like the sidewalk mod (jrj?) and the powerpoles you are using. They add nice touches without standing out. Finally, Though the McDonald's does seem a bit dumpy/trashy/etc, the way the surrounding buildings are borders by those bushes and flowering meadows more than makes up for it. So the storyline may suffer, it just leaves more room for more pics (which are looking good so far), keep it up.

sebes

The pictures that I can see this time are wonderfull - the farms, the fields, the sandroads.

I can again not see all: If the Avalon banner is the first picture, I cannot see the 2nd, 6th, 7th, 9th and 15th one. I am using IE7 as well, on Windows XP.
Check my MD:               
Rhenen,NN

threestooges

sebes: I hope this isn't something you have tried already (but it's new to me): if the "red cross" you are referring to is a small red "x" in a box at the top left of where the pic should be, try right-clicking it and selecting "show picture." I have a similar problem from time to time and it just seems to me that the page times-out before all pictures have a chance to load. If that doesn't fix the problem, just ignore this like it never existed.

dedgren

Beautiful pics, Peter, from one farming afficionado to a person who is clearly another.

I'm not so sure on losing the story- you may have been headed for having the first Dada [linkie] MD.  And that wasn't necessarily a bad thing.

...I mean, who else is doing anything that literally cries out for Devo [linkie] to do the soundtrack.

This is great stuff!

David

D. Edgren

Please call me David...

Three Rivers Region- A collaborative development of the SC4 community
The 3RR Quick Finder [linkie]

I aten't dead.  —  R.I.P. Granny Weatherwax

thundercrack83

Great update! The farming communities and the port with the "ghost ship" look great! And by the way, I'm still waiting on those peanuts! If this keeps up, I'm going on strike!

sebes

Petercintn and Threestooges : I could see all pictures today. Don't know why.... I think it had to with a time in page loading indeed.

I am glad to have settled in Allons! It's a wonderfull little place. The BLS-Slaytforkmill is one of my favourites... how did you know?  :thumbsup:
Check my MD:               
Rhenen,NN

nedalezz

Picture perfect, literally and figuratively, rural area. The job you did with the small farms is great; the actual town, the same.

emilin

That's some impressive farms you've got going there. :thumbsup:

And looking at it I'm wondering of you just solved the dirt road problem that David (dedgren) brought up in 3RR, or is it just a trick? I see transit enabled dirt road lots that connect to the Trolca streets (or maybe it's not Trolca streets at all?) without creating sidewalks. How did you do that?

BlackwaterEmil's inn
Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dmscopio ♦ dedgren
♦ Emilin ♦ Ennedi ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦
papab2000 ♦ Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine

bat

Wonderful rural areas and great harbor!