• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

NAM Issues Thread - PLEASE POST YOUR NAM QUESTIONS AND PROBLEMS HERE

Started by jahu, June 03, 2007, 10:15:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

daeley

Quote from: Cosmic on May 12, 2010, 05:08:07 PM
This one's interesting... (OT: how long have I been gone?...)

OK, so I'm drawing railway like normal, and everything's fine. Until I randomly decide to draw a 2x2 box. Then this happens:

It's completely random, and it never happened before with the older NAM versions. When I release the mouse button, the 4 tiles of track vanish, and I'm left with 4 blank tiles that act just like a puzzle piece (I get the "Cannot place on top of reserved tiles" message). I can bulldoze it normally and there seem to be no ill effects from it... it's just weird.

I didn't feel like opening a new thread for something that seems so minor, and this isn't really an 'issue', per-se, but it is a question, so I decided to post it here.
Before anyone asks, I made sure to completely wipe the old NAM folder out of my plugins before installing the new version...

there's a couple of draggable FAR railway pieces that are implemented like this (draw 2 parallel 3x1 pieces of railway for example, connect the middle and click one of the ends) but this particular piece seems to be a bug.
1. Install SC4+RH
2. Install LEX (CD&DVD helps) and latest NAM + updates
3. Play the game
4. ? ? ? ?
5. Profit!

kassarc16

A holdover issue I noticed from the last NAM that didn't get touched upon this time.

They also show up as switches in UDI, but they don't work. It's still functional (the correct switches work in UDI but I'm not sure of Traffic), just ugly.

jdenm8

Quote from: kassarc16 on May 14, 2010, 06:20:32 PM
A holdover issue I noticed from the last NAM that didn't get touched upon this time.

They also show up as switches in UDI, but they don't work. It's still functional (the correct switches work in UDI but I'm not sure of Traffic), just ugly.

I had this problem too in the last NAM. Traffic does get buggered and I did have eternal commuter problems caused by it.

"We're making SimCity, not some dopey casual game." -Ocean Quigley

Chrisim

Quote from: MAS71 on May 10, 2010, 07:08:27 AM
I did find a problem of SC4Path with a puzzle piece.  ;D

I using a NAM with 'Left-hand version...'.
A bug in the LHD game version only - the right-hand version works fine. I attached the bug fix for the LHD game version to the end of the title posting of the T-RAM topic (link). Sorry for the inconvenience.

MAS71

@Crisim
QuoteA bug in the LHD game version only - the right-hand version works fine. I attached the bug fix for the LHD game version to the end of the title posting of the T-RAM topic (link). Sorry for the inconvenience.
Yes!! Thank you for links and patch. &apls
I'm gratitude for you and all of 'T-RAM team' to corresponds immediately with porblem.  ;)
I'll repot it for japanese quickly in our forum, too. ;)

Thank you !!

@kassarc16 and jdenm8
Hi there :)
A cause of this problem is not on latest versions NAM.( It's not on NAM-May,2010)  $%Grinno$%
I already got this report from some users in a Japan too when uploaded ver.NAM - June/2009.
(When a option added "Select Rail Texture Style" in a installer)
and unfortunately, these are still left without them being revised. :-[

superhands

Quote from: Cosmic on May 12, 2010, 05:08:07 PM
This one's interesting... (OT: how long have I been gone?...)

OK, so I'm drawing railway like normal, and everything's fine. Until I randomly decide to draw a 2x2 box. Then this happens:

It's completely random, and it never happened before with the older NAM versions. When I release the mouse button, the 4 tiles of track vanish, and I'm left with 4 blank tiles that act just like a puzzle piece (I get the "Cannot place on top of reserved tiles" message). I can bulldoze it normally and there seem to be no ill effects from it... it's just weird.

I didn't feel like opening a new thread for something that seems so minor, and this isn't really an 'issue', per-se, but it is a question, so I decided to post it here.
Before anyone asks, I made sure to completely wipe the old NAM folder out of my plugins before installing the new version...

actually its the auto-place feature for half diagonal Rail :thumbsup: which will be part of the RAM release (which will be ready when it's ready).

Before:                                                                                                 After:

this is done by first drawing the normal draggable curve, then by re-drawing from the correct tile.
if you do not want to drag the setup, but have triggered the autoplace feature illustrated in blue, just make sure to hit Esc key.

more info can be obtained in this Thread.

-Dave

j-dub

When was all this rail way piece dragging all implemented anyway? I found myself drawing a giant railway switch after using a huge amount of tiles, it turned blue and drew a giant railway switch piece!

Cosmic

Quote from: superhandsactually its the auto-place feature for half diagonal Rail thumbsup which will be part of the RAM release (which will be ready when it's ready).
<snip>
Before:                                                                                                 After:
<double snip>

this is done by first drawing the normal draggable curve, then by re-drawing from the correct tile.
if you do not want to drag the setup, but have triggered the autoplace feature illustrated in blue, just make sure to hit Esc key.

more info can be obtained in this (link here).

-Dave

Oh, well that's nice to know. Thanks for answering my question. :) And yes, I'm all too familiar with the "It'll be ready when it's ready" deal. (Playing games from Blizzard does that to you... ::))

ItsOnlyTheory

Quote from: ItsOnlyTheory on May 14, 2010, 07:20:14 AM
Hi, great mod, im new to sc4, nam and it's mods in general so i hope this isn't a stupid question, i have been searching around but couldn't find an answer, the mod works fine as far as i can tell and i've read the instructions, i did the full install but now want to have arrows back on one way roads, is it ok to simply remove the "NetworkAddonMod_OneWayRoad_Arrows_Reduction_Plugin.dat" and "NetworkAddonMod_OneWayRoad_Roundabout_Arrows_Reduction_Plugin.dat" from plugins without casing problems?  ()what()

I did see that you're meant to be able to use the help tool to view which way they go but it didn't seem to work or im doing it wrong.  ()sad()

So is it ok then?

CaptCity

ItsOnlyTheory...

Yes, you can remove the Arrow_Reduction files with no ill effect.

Rady

Hi all,

I wasn't sure where to post this (since it containes both NAM and NWM) but decided to give it a go here: Has anyone else encountered those pathing problems showing here (maybe this was there before, but in that case I overlooked that a hundred times ..):

AFAIK this hasn't been the case before the latest NAM release ...
If it's a good idea, go ahead and do it. It's much easier to apologize than it is to get permission.

Visit my BAT thread: Slow BAT steady - Rady's first BAT attemtps

Andreas

Did you install the Road Turning Lanes Plugin again after installing the new NAM? It's an optional plugin that's not selected by default. Maybe you just have installed the Euro textures for it, but not the plugin itself.
Andreas

droopied

Since installing the new NAM I have absolutely no rail traffic on any heavy rail networks, neither passenger or freight. I did before.

Any ideas? And sorry for asking again if this is already answered somewhere else.

Tarkus

Quote from: droopied on May 16, 2010, 01:42:24 PM
Since installing the new NAM I have absolutely no rail traffic on any heavy rail networks, neither passenger or freight. I did before.

Any ideas? And sorry for asking again if this is already answered somewhere else.

See NAM FAQ Item #3.  Any sort of "missing train" issue is usually the result of an Right-Hand Drive vs. Left-Hand Drive installation issue.

-Alex

Cosmic

Ok, wow.. this is a pretty major problem... (so much so, I'm having problems typing my words the first time %wrd)

QuoteI have absolutely no rail traffic on any heavy rail networks, neither passenger or freight.

Something like this, except there's no traffic at all; rail or otherwise (including road traffic, though automata spawned by buildings still show up, so it's likely not a pathing issue).
When I load up a brand new city to start building, and finish laying down everything, and set the simulator to run, residential doesn't grow at all.
And while industrial does grow, there's no freight trucks being generated by them. This isn't just a localized problem, either; it happens on the entire city tile.
Deleting the city and starting over seems to fix it more often then not, but then I lose any precision terrain work I did (like sunken highways and stuff like that).
It's like my city is a ghost town... which sucks, because it happens about 1 in every 3 times I go to start a new city.
To me it seems that the traffic simulator fails to load or something, so that all residential zones and industrial zones are stuck with "Long" commute times/freight trips, and will not function right (again, in the case of residential, it will not grow at all).
I'd really love it if I could at least find out what is wrong, so I could know what causes this... And the problem doesn't seem to be limited to just one tile; it will occur on any blank tile at random, and I am never able to expect it.

Maybe helpful to note: if I just make a completely bare-bones city with just roads, then it seems the traffic simulator will load more often, but it's still not a sure-fire way to prevent this...
Thanks in advance for any help on the matter.

z

Did you check the NAM FAQ #3 that Alex referred to in the message above yours?

Cosmic

Yes, I've read that before; and I'm pretty sure that this is not because I'm playing a LHD version of the game... (I'm not comfortable mucking around in my registry to make the changes required to make my SC4 LHD as opposed to the RHD it is by default [since it's a US copy of the game])

Plus, as I said before, it only happens sometimes; other times the game works just fine and residents move in all fine and dandy. It's not like it's a constant thing.
This issue confuses me greatly. &mmm

(I must have worded my question wrong... I'm very bad at describing things :()

Tarkus

You might also have a Park & Ride Simulator Plugin floating around in your Plugins.  Unless you've got a ton of functional parking lots around, that'll make all your cars disappear in a hurry, bringing with it an explosion in pedestrian traffic and quite a few no job zots.

-Alex

Cosmic

This is what my NAM folder looks like:

I'm using a custom simulator; so I could specify what capacities would suit me. I made sure not to check P&R, so that's another thing to strike out. Any other ideas?...
One more thing: # of Cars/Sims is set to max, so that probably is not the problem...

It's not like it's very urgent; It's not much of a pain to re-do my cities (unless of course I was working on a complex layout :()

(Also, I realize there are SAV files in there; should I move those out? Or will the DATs take precedence?)

I'll take a print screen of the problem if it happens again in this city I just re-started (which coincidentally is the same city which had the problem before, which is what caused me to post here looking for a solution :-\)

I'll do a thorough check to make sure there's no offending files, though. (the old fashioned way...) Never hurts to be sure...

Rady

Quote from: Andreas on May 16, 2010, 10:36:36 AM
Did you install the Road Turning Lanes Plugin again after installing the new NAM? It's an optional plugin that's not selected by default. Maybe you just have installed the Euro textures for it, but not the plugin itself.

Hmmm ... I'm pretty sure I did install the Turning Lanes Plugin, but I'll gonna give it a check.

Reporting back afterwards ...

Cheers
If it's a good idea, go ahead and do it. It's much easier to apologize than it is to get permission.

Visit my BAT thread: Slow BAT steady - Rady's first BAT attemtps