• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

RHW (RealHighway) - Development and Support

Started by Tarkus, April 13, 2007, 09:10:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tarkus

Quote from: videosean on May 20, 2008, 09:41:24 PM
I agree with you on that one.  It made me think of this one... the first time I drove into this I was like Where's the Fries? (next time we'll wash your mouth out with soap)?
X interchange?
I can only assume that one is a "great design" for some reason.  For reference, the highway running east to west there is I-270 and runs in a circle around Columbus.  There's shopping & restaurants north and south of the interchange but nothing with road access on I-270.

That right there is a textbook example of a Single-Point Urban Interchange (SPUI) [link].  I've never seen one "in the flesh", but I was a bit bewildered initially when I saw a diagram on Kurumi.com the first time (great roadgeek site if you've never been).  It would make sense to me if I saw one "live" now, though.

-Alex (Tarkus)

MandelSoft

Lurk mode: ACTIVE

Kitsune

Quote from: videosean on May 20, 2008, 09:41:24 PM
I agree with you on that one.  It made me think of this one... the first time I drove into this I was like Where's the Fries? (next time we'll wash your mouth out with soap)?
X interchange?
I can only assume that one is a "great design" for some reason.  For reference, the highway running east to west there is I-270 and runs in a circle around Columbus.  There's shopping & restaurants north and south of the interchange but nothing with road access on I-270.

I always find the American SPUI's tend to be way more spread out, heres one in Calgary, noticed how much more compact it is:

SPUI

I think a SPUI thats set as single puzzle piece is likely the best way to go to get one in game.
~ NAM Team Member

Shadow Assassin

SPUIs are all the rage nowadays in Australia. They actually work quite well.

Six-point SPUIs are common as well... [having six exits instead of the four entering the SPUI, not counting the main road]
New Horizons Productions
Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dedgren ♦ dmscopio ♦ Ennedi
emilin ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦ papab2000
Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine
See my uploads on the LEX!

Tarkus

Well, I'd like to do SPUIs at some point--the issue has just been implementation.  The main *-Intersection (it does look like an asterisk ;)) generally sits over top of the highway, though there's also then the issue of multi-tile medians, though they are generally done in areas where there aren't (the RL equivalent of) multi-tile medians from what I've seen. 

The way I'm picturing it, a SPUI piece for an RHW-4 would consist of the *-Intersection overtop of the RHW-4, and the versions for the wider RHWs would just have them plopped right in the center, with a diagonal Elevated MIS piece hanging over the outer part of the wider RHW.  The connections to the *-Intersection-over-RHW piece could then be accomplished by using the MIS, with some new Ground-to-Elevated ramp pieces, like I had with my old prototype from last year (a file which I ran across on my HD the other day ;)).

The SPUIs will be particularly fun once the TLA-7/AVE-6 from the NWM project are in place. :)

How does that sound?

-Alex (Tarkus)

videosean

Wow... I feel like such a noob now lol  After driving through that SPUI for the first time it became clear how it works.  I had just never gotten off an exit ramp before and come to the 4 way intersection controlled by a single set of traffic lights so far away from where you stop.  Not being able to get back onto the highway bugs me but watching all the traffic that goes through that intersection while I'm stopped is... um... I don't know but a LOT of cars can move through it at once!  I think I started on kurumi.com but ended up at the DOT sites for various states and looking up some of the American roundabout interchanges on google maps... haven't been through one of those yet but they look great too :)
The SPUIs will be particularly fun once the TLA-7/AVE-6 from the NWM project are in place. Smiley

How does that sound?
$%Grinno$%  &apls

Haljackey

Quote from: Kitsune on May 21, 2008, 08:59:28 AM
heres one in Calgary, noticed how much more compact it is:

SPUI

There are SPUIs in Canada now?  Thats very interesting to me because 95% of the interchanges here in Ontario are parclos.

Anyways, getting back to the project, I do have something interesting to show:

Would there be any way to smoothen this curve a bit?  It is not long enough for the large 45 degree RHW curves, and thus multiple lane shift pieces have to be used.  Can something like the the new anti-grid rail/road curves being worked on @ 3RR be applied to the RHW?  They would certainly get their use!
-In the meantime, is there a better way for me to make this curve?  It is a recent picture, so I still have space to work with before I develop the area.

Best,
-Haljackey

Kitsune

Quote from: Haljackey on May 21, 2008, 09:26:43 AM
There are SPUIs in Canada now?  Thats very interesting to me because 95% of the interchanges here in Ontario are parclos.

Calgary has three of them now I believe - the city hardly uses parclo's and tends to stick to diamonds and SPUIs.
~ NAM Team Member

nerdly_dood

I wouldn't call that intersection excellent, i'd call it...um...scary.
My days here are numbered. It's been great and I've had a lot of fun, but I've moved on to bigger and better things.
—   EGO  VOBIS  VADELICO   —
Glory be unto the modder and unto the fun and unto the city game!

Tarkus

Quote from: Haljackey on May 21, 2008, 09:26:43 AM
Would there be any way to smoothen this curve a bit?  It is not long enough for the large 45 degree RHW curves, and thus multiple lane shift pieces have to be used.  Can something like the the new anti-grid rail/road curves being worked on @ 3RR be applied to the RHW?  They would certainly get their use!
-In the meantime, is there a better way for me to make this curve?  It is a recent picture, so I still have space to work with before I develop the area.

That's a good question, Haljackey.  I had noticed you using multiple Lane Shift pieces in Greater Terran Region, and from that, had the idea of perhaps doing a 2-tile Lane shift piece for the RHW-4--I've wanted one of those myself for awhile as well.  A FARHW setup (Fractional Angle Rural Highway) wouldn't be able to cover that area quite, but for something like you've just shown in your pic where there's three Lane Shifts, it could solve that problem.  I hadn't planned on doing FARHW pieces so soon, but we'll see . . . ;)

I can say that Version 21, thus far, is shaping up to be a definitive release of the RHW, even more so than Version 20 . . . I have at least two or three aces up the sleeve still, so to speak . . .

-Alex (Tarkus)

debutterfly

Can't wait to see your cards Alex!!!  ;)  I can sense that Version 21 will be a bundle of greatness and surprises like SAM v3 Beta with diagonal SAM. Don't go too over the top though.  :D

bakerton

Alex, Even though I know it will come out when it does, but your wording makes it sounds like it will be release soon (But it will not be out soon). I can sense it in my bones. JKB
beam me up.... please!
I am the lurker that hides in all the corners and you can't get me out. You may try, but you can't.Please call me Jon or Jonathan.

kassarc16

Quote from: Tarkus on May 21, 2008, 01:14:06 PM
I have at least two or three aces up the sleeve still, so to speak . . .

Since you've already pulled about 8 out of there, I think someone's playing with a rigged deck. ;)

Tarkus

Quote from: kassarc16 on May 21, 2008, 07:43:53 PM
Since you've already pulled about 8 out of there, I think someone's playing with a rigged deck. ;)

You have no idea.  $%Grinno$%  Rigged is an understatement. ::)  Who knows, the whole deck might be aces . . .

Development has been going . . . very well . . . ;)

-Alex (Tarkus)

MandelSoft

One question about SA's texure replacement: The textures for v21 are released at the same time as the main plugin. Does it mean that the textures are included in the install file of the main plugin or is it a sepperate download as always?
Lurk mode: ACTIVE

Shadow Assassin

It's a separate download, as always.

Makes it easier for me to update.
New Horizons Productions
Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dedgren ♦ dmscopio ♦ Ennedi
emilin ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦ papab2000
Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine
See my uploads on the LEX!

allan_kuan1992

Hmm... something that i just thought of...

Those who want to have "eyecandy" RHW2S (Freeway-type) or RHW3 before version 21 gets released can try using the RHWMIS1 as a single-lane section.

- Allan Kuan

dragonshardz

Good idea, just make sure they go opposite ways.

~~Dragonshardz~~

allan_kuan1992

speaking of SPUIs, a partial SPUI was built in Surrey at 200 Street and Hwy 1 maybe about a year or two ago...

http://www.flashearth.com/?lat=49.164415&lon=-122.668979&z=18&r=0&src=ggl

- Allan Kuan

pilotdaryl

I remember that interchange; I use it all the time I go to Langley or Walnut Grove. ;D
Besides MIS splits, is V21 going to have MIS merges? :D