• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

NWM (Network Widening Mod) - Development and Support

Started by Tarkus, May 03, 2007, 08:47:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tarkus

Quote from: metarvo on August 01, 2010, 06:47:14 PM
Going a step further with the TuLEPs-NWM interaction, I wonder if TuLEPs might be a viable solution for diagonal NWM intersections, particularly those on the wider NWM networks?  Of course, I'm getting ahead of things here, but I just thought I would put the idea out there.

Diagonal-Diagonal, most definitely.  Some of the others may be prime candidates for that approach as well, I'd say. 

-Alex

travismking

it seems like most of the tools related to the NAM could use many more diagonal features, tram road/avenue, RHW, NWM, TuLeps all need better diagonal support, which may not exactly be possible, and im sure its a TON of work. Im just glad we have what we have now, or I woulda lost interest in this game 6 years ago :p

Monorail Master

I'm just wondering...are there going to be elevated puzzle pieces for the NWM? But some will ask about the bridges part, could you for the OWR-1 bridge take the plain or raised OWR-2 bridge adjust the paths and textures to fit OWR-1?
(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into
(")_(") your signature to help him gain world domination

Opkl

Tarkus, for srunken highways will there be turning lane pieces for the bridges and new NAM side exit ramps for OWR-3,4, and 5? Here's what im talking about from my hometown of Chicago.

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&tab=wl&q=srunken%20h

Nego

Do you mean pieces like this?:

I'm not so sure what exactly you mean, though, because your link to Google Maps doesn't work. &mmm

Tarkus

Quote from: travismking on August 01, 2010, 07:41:41 PM
it seems like most of the tools related to the NAM could use many more diagonal features, tram road/avenue, RHW, NWM, TuLeps all need better diagonal support, which may not exactly be possible, and im sure its a TON of work.

That sums it up pretty well, I'd say. Diagonals are tricky little devils, sometimes, particularly when you're having to stretch the game's capabilities out.

Quote from: Monorail Master on August 02, 2010, 10:52:30 AM
I'm just wondering...are there going to be elevated puzzle pieces for the NWM? But some will ask about the bridges part, could you for the OWR-1 bridge take the plain or raised OWR-2 bridge adjust the paths and textures to fit OWR-1?

Elevated NWM networks are planned for future inclusion--the main issue is having models, though I may be able to repurpose the ERHW ones with some minor modification.  The TLAs won't be getting their own elevated pieces, as having center turn lanes into guardrails would be . . . [Vulcan] highly illogical. [/Vulcan].  

Quote from: Opkl on August 02, 2010, 02:28:35 PM
Tarkus, for srunken highways will there be turning lane pieces for the bridges and new NAM side exit ramps for OWR-3,4, and 5? Here's what im talking about from my hometown of Chicago.
http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&tab=wl&q=srunken%20h

Your link, unfortunately, doesn't seem to work.  Guessing from the sounds of your post, I'm guessing the "turning lane pieces for the bridges" are Elevated TuLEPs--those are definitely planned, as shown in the image Nego quoted.  The last part I don't quite understand--are you referring to Elevated NWM networks?  Maxis Highway/NWM Network interchanges?

-Alex

Opkl

Quote from: Tarkus on August 02, 2010, 02:58:55 PM
That sums it up pretty well, I'd say. Diagonals are tricky little devils, sometimes, particularly when you're having to stretch the game's capabilities out.

Elevated NWM networks are planned for future inclusion--the main issue is having models, though I may be able to repurpose the ERHW ones with some minor modification.  The TLAs won't be getting their own elevated pieces, as having center turn lanes into guardrails would be . . . [Vulcan] highly illogical. [/Vulcan].  

Your link, unfortunately, doesn't seem to work.  Guessing from the sounds of your post, I'm guessing the "turning lane pieces for the bridges" are Elevated TuLEPs--those are definitely planned, as shown in the image Nego quoted.  The last part I don't quite understanding--are you referring to Elevated NWM networks?  Maxis Highway/NWM Network interchanges?

-Alex

The pic Nego showed was what I was talking about for the elevated TuLEPs. However, will those work over srunken networks? For the part you guys got confused on, I was asking if there would be new OWR-3,4, and 5 side exit ramps to/from a srunken highway like what we have with the 2 lane OWR. Since the link didn't work go to google maps and search 76th and State Street Chicago,IL. Zoom in and use the street view guy to look on State Street between 75th and 71st.

Tarkus

Well, you'd be able to cross a sunken highway with an on-slope and elevated pieces . . . the ramp thing you've suggested is a possibility . . . it'll more likely be set up for RHW before anything happened on the Maxis Highway end, though.

-Alex

Opkl

Quote from: Tarkus on August 02, 2010, 04:07:36 PM
Well, you'd be able to cross a sunken highway with an on-slope and elevated pieces . . . the ramp thing you've suggested is a possibility . . . it'll more likely be set up for RHW before anything happened on the Maxis Highway end, though.

-Alex

So the on-slope pieces will have turning lanes right? As for the ramps I ment Single-Sided Parallel Ramps Ground Highway OWR. Will those pieces be able to have OWR-3,4, and 5? I'll post a pic but I don't know how.

Tarkus

Quote from: Opkl on August 02, 2010, 04:36:54 PM
So the on-slope pieces will have turning lanes right? As for the ramps I ment Single-Sided Parallel Ramps Ground Highway OWR. Will those pieces be able to have OWR-3,4, and 5? I'll post a pic but I don't know how.

On-Slope turn lanes will be a bit tricky, as the number of pieces could multiply quite quickly.  It's likely they'll exist, but have to be arrow-less to keep things from getting overloaded.

Thanks for clarifying the ramp thing, too--makes sense now. :)  I'll look into that, but Maxis Highways are generally a low priority now, so it may be awhile.

-Alex

Opkl

Quote from: Tarkus on August 02, 2010, 04:53:15 PM
On-Slope turn lanes will be a bit tricky, as the number of pieces could multiply quite quickly.  It's likely they'll exist, but have to be arrow-less to keep things from getting overloaded.

Thanks for clarifying the ramp thing, too--makes sense now. :)  I'll look into that, but Maxis Highways are generally a low priority now, so it may be awhile.

-Alex

Oh good. So when you say "overloaded" that means there are too many textures in one place? As for the ramps I can't wait. You and everyone involed have done such a great job over the years.  Thanks :D

chrisnhl

Im sorry If this question has been repeated but dows the NWM mean higher capacity?

travismking

Quote from: chrisnhl on August 04, 2010, 01:50:10 PM
Im sorry If this question has been repeated but dows the NWM mean higher capacity?

atm no it does not its purely cosmetic, but read back a few pages, it seems tarkus may have found a way to allow additional capacity on SOME NWM + RHW networks

z

Also, the base capacity is per-tile.  Networks two tiles wide have twice the capacity of single-tile networks of the same type.  The width of each NWM type is listed in the first post on each page.

This is all before Alex's recent discovery, of course.

Opkl

Quote from: z on August 04, 2010, 02:14:41 PM
Also, the base capacity is per-tile.  Networks two tiles wide have twice the capacity of single-tile networks of the same type.  The width of each NWM type is listed in the first post on each page.

This is all before Alex's recent discovery, of course.

So is his discovery ready for download yet or is it in the next release?

travismking

its not available yet, he just discovered it a few days ago needs tested etc... :p

Monorail Master

Quote from: Nego on August 02, 2010, 02:55:47 PM
Do you mean pieces like this?:

I'm not so sure what exactly you mean, though, because your link to Google Maps doesn't work. &mmm

Yes!!!! I did mean that.
Quote from: Tarkus on August 02, 2010, 02:58:55 PM

Your link, unfortunately, doesn't seem to work.  Guessing from the sounds of your post, I'm guessing the "turning lane pieces for the bridges" are Elevated TuLEPs--those are definitely planned, as shown in the image Nego quoted.  The last part I don't quite understanding--are you referring to Elevated NWM networks?  Maxis Highway/NWM Network interchanges?

-Alex

Well, guess we have to be patient then.

-Matthew
(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into
(")_(") your signature to help him gain world domination

Vanilla9823

Excuse me,I find a bug in my NWM

When I use Drive-it and I drove in my created NWM and the vehicle disappear
What is he cause of this problem !  :'(

Ryan B.

Quote from: Vanilla9823 on August 07, 2010, 05:52:38 AM

We recommend that if you're using U-Drive-It with the NWM, hit the "Shift" key on your keyboard so that your "Snap To Lanes" feature is turned off.

jondor

Quote from: Vanilla9823 on August 07, 2010, 05:52:38 AM

On the TLA-5 at least, if you keep the car in the right lane until you reach an intersection, you can avoid most of the trouble.  On a TLA-3, you will have to leave 'snap to roads' off.
All new animated railroad crossing props for networks of all sizes! (Phase 1 complete)--> http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=13209

Mostly writing pony stories on FimFiction.net, but Cities: Skylines is my new best friend.  Anything and everything I made for SimCity 4 is fair game for use and distribution.