• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

NWM (Network Widening Mod) - Development and Support

Started by Tarkus, May 03, 2007, 08:47:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

samerton

Quote from: Tarkus on August 21, 2010, 12:01:19 AM
And in other news, last night, by making some minute modifications to the TLA-3 and TLA-5 paths, I was able to make those networks work properly with the "Snap To Roads" mode in U-Drive-It mode.  The modifications will be included in the next update to the NWM.

-Alex

Wow... that's great news!

Nik-O

Hey,

first I have to say that NWM is the reason why I re-installed SC4. So thanks.  &apls
But... can somebody tell me if there is a uni-density-mod for the NWM available?

Gringamuyloca

This could be considered a weird request... and I won't take offence... I'm known for 'weird'  ;D
What about the possibility of a two tile wide road?... with wide sidewalks/shoulders and the road running down the middle, with the capacity of a road.

This mayor has planning issues, and it sure would be nice to be able to place a two tile wide road, where I know I will need an avenue or other large capacity two tile system later... my Simtizens get cranky when I destroy their homes and jobs for 'widening' projects....

just putting the thought out there.... am I totally off my rocker?  ???

Tamara

jgehrts

Maybe with eye-candy bike lanes on either side to fill out the extra space.

Tarkus

Quote from: Nik-O on August 21, 2010, 07:13:55 AM
first I have to say that NWM is the reason why I re-installed SC4. So thanks.  &apls

Glad to hear that! :)

Quote from: Nik-O on August 21, 2010, 07:13:55 AM
But... can somebody tell me if there is a uni-density-mod for the NWM available?

Currently, no.

Quote from: Gringamuyloca on August 27, 2010, 08:11:25 AM
This could be considered a weird request... and I won't take offence... I'm known for 'weird'  ;D
What about the possibility of a two tile wide road?... with wide sidewalks/shoulders and the road running down the middle, with the capacity of a road.

This mayor has planning issues, and it sure would be nice to be able to place a two tile wide road, where I know I will need an avenue or other large capacity two tile system later... my Simtizens get cranky when I destroy their homes and jobs for 'widening' projects....

just putting the thought out there.... am I totally off my rocker?  ???

The problem with that is that because the game calculates capacity on a per-tile basis, the two-tile wide Road would have the same capacity as the large capacity two-tile systems you'd be planning to upgrade to, defeating the purpose of upgrading.

-Alex

Gringamuyloca

Quote from: Tarkus on August 27, 2010, 10:29:53 AM

The problem with that is that because the game calculates capacity on a per-tile basis, the two-tile wide Road would have the same capacity as the large capacity two-tile systems you'd be planning to upgrade to, defeating the purpose of upgrading.

I did kinda figure that would be the response... but there are still rabbits being pulled out of hats here all the time... I was hoping for one more!

Thanks for taking the time to respond Alex.

Have a great day...
Tamara

godjcjk12

Good work Tarkus on the TLA.  :thumbsup: . I'm finding it very useful as it adds a more realistic touch to the game. I have a couple of questions for you, but they may have been answered already. Will it be possible to have diagonal MAVE-4, MAVE-6, or TLA-5 using the current setup for transitioning from orthogonal to diagonal RHW-6 or RHW-8? Are FARR AVE-4 and roads possible with 30/60 degree angles?

Tarkus

Quote from: godjcjk12 on August 27, 2010, 01:07:54 PM
Good work Tarkus on the TLA.  :thumbsup: . I'm finding it very useful as it adds a more realistic touch to the game. I have a couple of questions for you, but they may have been answered already. Will it be possible to have diagonal MAVE-4, MAVE-6, or TLA-5 using the current setup for transitioning from orthogonal to diagonal RHW-6 or RHW-8? Are FARR AVE-4 and roads possible with 30/60 degree angles?

Thanks!  And long time no see! :) 

Diagonals are planned for those networks--the logistics are still being worked out, however.  30/60 degree angles won't be possible, due to how the game's geometry works out, but fractional angles are planned for a future release.  You'll likely see them on the single-tile networks first.  Dave (superhands) did up some fractional angle textures at the standard 18.4 degree/71.6 degree angles for the single-tile networks awhile back.  They just need to be built into puzzle pieces, which will likely happen within one of the next NWM releases. :thumbsup:

-Alex

marsh

Quick question, Is it possible to get rid of the arrows on the OWRs ?

noahclem

I'd always wondered why 18/72s were made instead of 30/60s. I'm just happy to have FAR(R) but it would be cool if something somehow changed  ::)

I know a 7-lane network has been on the drawing board for awhile and I look forward to it some day. But what about a compact (2-tile) TLA-7/AVE-6? It seems like it could be done with roughly the same lane-width as TLA-3s and certainly wider than compact MAVE-4 or tram-on-road. It might actually be more realistic for denser areas in city centers  ;)

NWM has been a real game-changer, can't thank you guys enough  &apls &hlp

Tarkus

Quote from: marsh on September 05, 2010, 05:46:15 PM
Quick question, Is it possible to get rid of the arrows on the OWRs ?

Tropod's old NoOneWayArrowsMod on the STEX from a few years back will work for NWM OWRs.  If you're wanting something along the lines of the NAM's OWR Arrow Reduction Plugin, it appears to be possible, but it would require reconfiguring all the NWM OWRs to be model-based networks.

Quote from: noahclem on September 05, 2010, 06:13:00 PM
I know a 7-lane network has been on the drawing board for awhile and I look forward to it some day. But what about a compact (2-tile) TLA-7/AVE-6? It seems like it could be done with roughly the same lane-width as TLA-3s and certainly wider than compact MAVE-4 or tram-on-road. It might actually be more realistic for denser areas in city centers  ;)

The lanes on an NTLA-7 would have to be pretty narrow, and there wouldn't be any capacity advantage to it, unfortunately.  However, the triple-tile TLA-7 is a little bit farther than the drawing boards.  It actually has intersections now . . .

-Alex

z

Quote from: noahclem on September 05, 2010, 06:13:00 PM
I'd always wondered why 18/72s were made instead of 30/60s. I'm just happy to have FAR(R) but it would be cool if something somehow changed  ::)

The reason you can't have 30/60s is that they wouldn't repeat in a finite number of tiles.  You need angles for which the arctangent is a small integer.  For example, 26.565° and 63.435° would give you half diagonal roads, which have been planned for some time; we just don't have anyone to do them right now.

Aaron Graham

That road is huge I like it. &apls

Have anyone thought about making 6 lane oneway roads, beacuse I have seen 3,4,5 lanes wide but what about 6 lanes.
-Simcity4fan12/Sgt Pepper -Kryptowhite -Jumpthefence -beutelschlurf -Hanson784 -Gwail -Don Miguel -Seraf -Kelistmac -Glenni -Aaron Graham -Vlasky -PBGV103 -Darknono35 -Evillions -lucky7- Parisian- Jackreid -GuerrilaWarfare -Sim Fox -un1 -Heblem -AlexandrosB13 -Anotn -SimHoTToDDy

Nego

It's nice to see that the TLA-7 is coming along really well. :thumbsup: &apls So how's the NAVE-4?

noahclem

@ Tarkus - Great progress!  :thumbsup:

@ z - Thanks for clearing that up! Good luck finding someone and sorry it's unlikely to be me  &mmm

j-dub

QuoteHave anyone thought about making 6 lane oneway roads, beacuse I have seen 3,4,5 lanes wide but what about 6 lanes.

Well, your kind of just going to have to build two OWR 3's side by side, except have them in flow the same direction.

Kevin1a

I found a few posts addressing my question, so I no longer really have a question.  Let me just say that I'm looking forward to seeing some NWM bridges, if it's possible.  I realize that it might be a stretch with the multiple tile wide networks.

Additionally, let me just say how impressed I am with the NWM's capabilities after spending some time using it.  The euro textures are fantastic, and the OWR's are exactly what I need.  There is a street in Ashaffenburg, Germany that is basically two OWRs with a green strip with a pedestrian trail and park area running down the middle (Friedrichstrasse and Weissenburger Strasse), and the NWM has allowed me to simulate similar setups in my own cities, minus the turning lanes, and the bike lanes.  Also the TLA-3 lets me simulate Tejon Street in Colorado Springs, the main party drag, which used to be a OWR3 and was recently (stupidly) converted to a TLA3 with the middle lane reserved for loading and unloading of delivery trucks and police stopping and breaking up fights at the clubs.  NWM has truly added a whole new (if still somewhat incomplete) aspect to the game.  I don't know what I'd do without you guys.  Keep up the excellent work!

Rady

Since the NWM developement is rushing onwards, may I throw in a little question: will there be 90 degree corners for the MAVE-4, ..? So far everytime I want to have a 90 degree curve (L-curve) I need to add a 1-tile stub on one of the opposing ends (thus making it a little T-crossing instead of an L-curve). Or is it just me lacking the knowledge how to create a L-curve ..?
If it's a good idea, go ahead and do it. It's much easier to apologize than it is to get permission.

Visit my BAT thread: Slow BAT steady - Rady's first BAT attemtps

jdenm8

That's a current limitation. Apparently 90 degree turns are in the works.

"We're making SimCity, not some dopey casual game." -Ocean Quigley