• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

NWM (Network Widening Mod) - Development and Support

Started by Tarkus, May 03, 2007, 08:47:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mike3775

Quote from: Synthael on October 26, 2011, 08:57:46 AM
Well, If I end, let's say AVE-6 in T-junction with AVE-4, first "row" will switch to correct pieces, but the other one will revert to regular road so I'll basically get 3 road/avenue pieces next to each other, not AVE-4/AVE-6 pieces...

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/412/faultyone.jpg
(Xfire didn't want to show in Sim City for some reason so I had to use imageshack... ::) )

My guess is there isn't override (or pieces) meant for this, or I'm doing something terribly wrong  :D

When I get that, I just roll through the Ave and create a full intersection.  Sure it sucks losing 2 spaces at the T, but its better than having 3 stoplights like that  lol

Synthael

@Ivo
I guess it's the best solution, looks kinda more realistic that way... Unless I could use MAVE-4 instead of MAVE-6 to get even better... Hmmm, need to check it.  ;D

@Mike
That's what I was doing until now... just dragged the AVE-6 through the junction to make a full one, or in limited space situations, just downgraded to AVE-4  :)

I must say, with all the things I can do now with NMW, only thing I'm missing would be slip lanes for any NMW network to get that "realistic" feeling to the max, but I'm more than happy with everything I can do now =)

mike3775

Quote from: Synthael on October 26, 2011, 10:45:26 AM
@Ivo
I guess it's the best solution, looks kinda more realistic that way... Unless I could use MAVE-4 instead of MAVE-6 to get even better... Hmmm, need to check it.  ;D

@Mike
That's what I was doing until now... just dragged the AVE-6 through the junction to make a full one, or in limited space situations, just downgraded to AVE-4  :)

I must say, with all the things I can do now with NMW, only thing I'm missing would be slip lanes for any NMW network to get that "realistic" feeling to the max, but I'm more than happy with everything I can do now =)

Honestly, I never even considered downgrading.  Time to go into my cities and see about doing that if possible  lol

michi_cc

GDO29Anagram

Quote from: michi_cc on October 27, 2011, 02:56:11 PM
Some missing paths?

It means there's even more paths missing that the recent patch doesn't fix, and another patch would be needed. Additionally, if you replicated that OWR-3 crossing with Rail and OWR-2 in place of Road (RD-2) and Street, you'll get the same result: Missing paths.
<INACTIVE>
-----
Simtropolis | YouTube | MLP Forums

Rionescu

• Limited support for diagonal intersections on single-tile networks--this functionality is still experimental and offered on an "as-is" basis.
Don't get your hopes up for a patch, although this might be improved in an update before long. Don't quote me on that though.

Tarkus

Regarding diagonal intersections: as far as I remember, the TLA-3, AVE-2 and ARD-3 are the most "complete", as are situations in which the NWM network is orthogonal and the cross network is diagonal.  Situations with diagonal NWM networks and orthogonal cross networks less so, and you can pretty much forget about trying to do anything involving a diagonal NWM with a diagonal cross network (except TLA-3/Road, as I recall).

The large part of the reason the diagonal intersection functionality didn't get fleshed out that much in NWM 2.0 is because there were just so many path files and textures that needed to be done (we're talking somewhere thereabouts of 200+ just for the single-tilers). 

There's currently no further development on that front, mainly as my modding time has been much more limited lately with RL, and my focus during that little bit of time has been on "Project 0E".  That project is coming along well, but I likely won't be returning to active NWM duty until it's essentially done.

-Alex

Rady

Hi,
first, thanks for the vast amount of additional stuff now available! It's simply stunning!

Second, I have a problem with the MAVE-6 neighbour connection. My setup is a follows:

AAAAA MMM MMM AAAAA
AAAAA MMM MMM AAAAA
          MMM MMM
          MMM MMM
          MMM MMM
-----------------------  border

So, basically I have an T-junction between an Avenue and a MAVE-6. After some tries I managed to get the MAVE-6 in place (it's a little bit tricky cause you only have 3 tiles between the junction and the tile border). However, now I cannot place the MAVE-6 neighbour connection peace.

When moving the mouse voer the MAVE-6 tile that is adjacent ot the border, the puzzle piece is placed beside the MAVE-6, not on top of it.

Is there a limitation for placing the MAVE-6 neighbourhood connection puzzle piece? On the other side of the border there are 4 tiles between the junction and the border, and I have no problems placing the connector there.
If it's a good idea, go ahead and do it. It's much easier to apologize than it is to get permission.

Visit my BAT thread: Slow BAT steady - Rady's first BAT attemtps

Rady

Quote from: Tarkus on November 07, 2011, 02:41:43 PM
Do you by chance have a starter in the vicinity?

-Alex

I suppose not, but I will check again this evening.

Edit Nov, 9th: THere was no starter piece around. I just rebuild the whole intersection again, and then it worked out fine. Don't know why it wouldn't let me plop the connector piece in the first time ...  Most likely something went wrong when dragging out the MAVE-6 over the 3 tiles to the city border, because the query tool showed the "Neighbour Connection" popup only for one of the two lanes.

So basically - problem fixed! Sims are happy to find their way to work again  ;D
If it's a good idea, go ahead and do it. It's much easier to apologize than it is to get permission.

Visit my BAT thread: Slow BAT steady - Rady's first BAT attemtps

pierreh

I don't think that the following little glitch has been reported yet:

'OWR-1' should be 'OWR-3' instead. Nothing major, but it should be fixed in the next release of NWM - which by the way is really great!

Tarkus

D'oh!  Well, the LTEXTs were getting a bit of revamp anyway (mainly because of the "namechange" from MAVE-4/MAVE-6 to Road-4/Road-6), so that can be sneaked in next time pretty easily.

I thought I'd also give a little "status update" on the NWM side of things.  Aside from the LTEXT tweaks and some improvements with RHW interfacing planned as part of the on-going RHW Project 0E improvements, NWM development is more or less on hiatus.  It will likely remain that way until Project 0E is in hand and my RL calms down. 

Much as is happening with the RHW, the NWM is going to cease to exist as a separate-download plugin and will be merged into the NAM Core, starting with NAM Version 31.  It is expected there will be an "ultra-stabilization" effort on the NWM sometime after Project 0E is done.  It won't be quite as much of a massive undertaking, as there will be far less drastic changes to the "under the hood" aspects of the mod and the NWM overrides are already among the most stable in the "NAM universe" currently.

-Alex

ivo_su

I personally  less interested in the long run when you start building ENWM networks. Whether this will happen at Version 3.0 or will be more later. At  present I see my multi-levels of RHW more in the next version - 6.0 but has never spoken hard for  this development in NWM. However,  and currently has a partial solution to this problem through a splitter between RHW and NWM. Thus, relatively easy to build an overpass for AVE-6 to  move to ERHW-6C and thus achieve the desired  effect on us. Similarly,  would result in AVE-8/TLA-9 to ERHW-8C but the problem would be one way roads.

- Ivo

Tarkus

The NAM elevated model revamp in NAM Version 30 was actually an "initial step" toward ENWM networks.  They were designed such that we could easily port them (which we couldn't do with the old models).  The plans right now for the elevated "Surface Street" networks (e.g. Road, OWR, AVE, all NWM networks) is for them to eventually have L1 and L2 versions.  We won't be going higher than L2 on them.

-Alex

vinlabsc3k

@Tarkus: For me, It would be very useful a L2 or L3 pieces of all network to make bridge from hillside to another &idea without the workaround of rain tool :( and they can intersect with other networks too :). Maybe you can make only straight pieces and straight intersection over other networks after you finish Project 0E and your RL stuff :thumbsup:.

Example of L3 viaduct or bridge from hillside to another

\ = 7.5m
My creation at CityBuilders.

SimCity 5 is here with the NAM Creations!!

bthersh

I just noticed that the link to the 2.0.2 patch in the sticky post isn't working for me - it just takes me down to the optional addons section.  Am I missing something or is this an issue?  Thanks!

jdenm8

Quote from: vinlabsc3k on November 13, 2011, 03:18:41 AM
Example of L3 viaduct or bridge from hillside to another
        _________
'''''''\|  |  |   |/'''''''
          \  |   |   /

\ = 15m

From your diagram, you're indicating L4 ENWM networks. They are out, at the very least out of the next build anyway, because the primary function of the overpasses is to go over other networks. Not to mention that a crossing like you propose would just be...

"We're making SimCity, not some dopey casual game." -Ocean Quigley

vinlabsc3k

Sorry, my fault. I've modified the diagram.
My creation at CityBuilders.

SimCity 5 is here with the NAM Creations!!

noahclem

Quote from: Tarkus on November 11, 2011, 04:48:00 PM
The NAM elevated model revamp in NAM Version 30 was actually an "initial step" toward ENWM networks.  They were designed such that we could easily port them (which we couldn't do with the old models).  The plans right now for the elevated "Surface Street" networks (e.g. Road, OWR, AVE, all NWM networks) is for them to eventually have L1 and L2 versions.  We won't be going higher than L2 on them.

Great news on the elevated NWM plans! Me being me, I can't wait for L1 everything  $%Grinno$%

@ vinlabsc3k - Another work-around for going from one hillside to the next would be using a "zero-slope" mod that has pylons for all terrain heights (versus retaining walls or terrain-lifting for lower heights). Unfortunately, those pylons don't look as nice as the new viaduct models, but they would allow intersections.

@ Alex (again) - Combining the previous two elements of my comment: Would it make any sense to have the pylons in the viaduct models extend below "0" on the z-axis, like the diagonal rail bridge puzzle pieces do? While not useful for everybody it would be nice for the trick I just suggested to vinlabsc3k or for placing simple bridges in the same manner (as in my most recent MD update). The most useful aspect of that would be it's facilitation of triple-tile bridges. While possible now, they don't look good more than 15-20m above sea level as the pylons are then obviously hovering above the water.

Tarkus

Quote from: bthersh on November 13, 2011, 06:32:49 AM
I just noticed that the link to the 2.0.2 patch in the sticky post isn't working for me - it just takes me down to the optional addons section.  Am I missing something or is this an issue?  Thanks!

The Internal URL link was directing to the wrong spot.  My apologies for the confusion, and fortunately, it's been fixed now.  (That post can sometimes be a bit tricky to edit because there's a lot of info and links there.  You can also find patches just by simply scrolling down the first post.)

Quote from: noahclem on November 13, 2011, 09:52:05 AM
@ Alex (again) - Combining the previous two elements of my comment: Would it make any sense to have the pylons in the viaduct models extend below "0" on the z-axis, like the diagonal rail bridge puzzle pieces do? While not useful for everybody it would be nice for the trick I just suggested to vinlabsc3k or for placing simple bridges in the same manner (as in my most recent MD update). The most useful aspect of that would be it's facilitation of triple-tile bridges. While possible now, they don't look good more than 15-20m above sea level as the pylons are then obviously hovering above the water.

I had been thinking along those lines as well. :thumbsup:

I should also clarify on the ENWM plans . . . "all" should be "all but the OWR-1", as I'm not sure there's really too much need for an elevated OWR-1.

-Alex