• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

NWM (Network Widening Mod) - Development and Support

Started by Tarkus, May 03, 2007, 08:47:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vortext

Quote from: GDO29Anagram on February 04, 2013, 06:26:03 PM
Sidewalks are governed by just three textures: Low-wealth, medium-wealth, and high-wealth

There're actually four sidewalk textures. You forgot rural sidewalk which is also used underneath heavy rail, regardless of wealth and zones (if memory serves me right).

EDIT: totally unrelated but this my 1111th post!!  ?=mad)=
time flies like a bird
fruit flies like a banana

memo

Maarten, I know very well which pain it is to edit or create FSH textures. That is why I highly appreciate the work of the few texture artists – I would not even dare to start a re-texturing.

Patrick, thanks for offering help. Maybe, I initiate such a project after March 1st and take you up on it. At least, there seems to be interest in such a mod. Though, as I said I would automate this tedious work using a little (or not so little) batch processing, since the mountains of textures would be impossible to tackle, otherwise. ;)

Jack_wilds

Thank-you Tarkus... makes the anticipation grow   :)

michi_cc

Quote from: Tarkus on June 20, 2012, 11:52:52 AM
Right now, the NWM is in "standby mode".  There's a few small additions finished (OWR-1 and OWR-3 wide radius curves, the multi-tile S-Curves), and a few I'll be sneaking in at the end (new transitions based on the textures supplied by michi_cc and Dexter).
I guess those transitions didn't end up in NAM 31 after all, or am I just too dumb to find them?

memo

Unfortunately, they did not make it in. They have some issues that could not be fixed in time.

Tarkus

Quote from: michi_cc on March 02, 2013, 02:55:01 PM
I guess those transitions didn't end up in NAM 31 after all, or am I just too dumb to find them?

The AVE-6/RD-6 and TLA-7/RD-6 transitions did make it in, however--thanks to your textures. :)

-Alex

dyoungyn

Yes, but they are usless untill the entire NAM31 is installed and working properly.  I am so dis-appointed that I had to uninstall NAM31 as the RHW conflicts were just to overwhelming as my maps would just no load.  Back to NAM30 and components and the maps load fine and work great.  Really looking forward to a "Hot Fix" so I could enjoy all the hard work the NAM team did to make the update even better.

justatest

Could you please stop posting this in every subforum?

Haljackey

It should be noted the first few days post-NAM release are like this. Opening the mod to everyone means more eyes to point out bugs and any other issues we missed, and will be fixed in a update about a week or so after the initial release.

Remember, it's been 18 months since the last one came out so some people may not remember how these things work :P

mike3775

Are there bugs in this release?  Yes.  Are the bugs really worth uninstalling it and reverting back?  Not to me.  Its actually kinda nice finally being able finally connect RHW with the MHW looking better than what it used to be like.  Its also nice being able to transition from some NWM streets to RHW as well, with better looking connector pieces.

Yes its buggy, but I am sure the NAM team is busting their behinds working on the numerous bugs that have been posted

Remember this as well, when Windows XP came out in 2000/2001, it was full of bugs as well, and yet not to long afterwords, it became relatively bug free and eventually became the best selling OS for Microsoft(and probably still one of the widest used OS's even 12 years later).  There is not one piece of software that is ever released, that is bug free at launch

dyoungyn

I am sorry if I offended anyone.  I am a realist and I love playing SC4 especailly with all the GREAT updates that have been provided from very hard working NAM team members The hard work they put into updates are forever in our debts.  Again, I love SC4 mainly for the capability to create realistic environments with mountains, rivers, farms, cities, etc,; hence the reason I am not going to buy SC2013 as the new Sim City game does not allow such flexibility. 

NAM30 came out with all the components that all work pretty seamless.  I was only  hoping for the same with NAM31.  I am very anxious to start using NAM31 as it is long time coming and thank you so much NAM team for your hard work. 

Andreas

Well, you have to keep in mind that the new NAM is an entirely new approach, with a brand new installer that has a whole lot of new features, and that there is far more new content than in the releases we had so far. I think most of the bugs that were reported so far were RHW-related, but this is not that much of a surprise, considering that the RHW has been completely reworked, using entirely new techniques and what not. In the past, the NAM releases were postponed internally again and again until we caught most of the remaining bugs, but this time, we opted for the fixed release date. As you can see, everything has its drawbacks, and since the NAM team is a volunteer project that you can download for free. There's no chance that we can do both - providing a release in time and with as few bugs as possible. :)
Andreas

Patricius Maximus

Quote from: Haljackey on March 03, 2013, 08:47:04 AM
It should be noted the first few days post-NAM release are like this. Opening the mod to everyone means more eyes to point out bugs and any other issues we missed, and will be fixed in a update about a week or so after the initial release.

Remember, it's been 18 months since the last one came out so some people may not remember how these things work :P

Sure, there are always bugs and often there are hotfix packages, but I can't recall a NAM release that's been this buggy (though I also can't recall a NAM release with this many new features and techniques). However, I fully understand and support the reasoning behind what's been done here. It's been less than 48 hours but I now find it hard to imagine not having access to all of the new NAM features that do work. Plus, the hotfix package will iron out any remaining deficiencies.

Shadow Assassin

Quote from: mike3775 on March 03, 2013, 09:20:05 AM
Are there bugs in this release?  Yes.  Are the bugs really worth uninstalling it and reverting back?  Not to me.  Its actually kinda nice finally being able finally connect RHW with the MHW looking better than what it used to be like.  Its also nice being able to transition from some NWM streets to RHW as well, with better looking connector pieces.

Yes its buggy, but I am sure the NAM team is busting their behinds working on the numerous bugs that have been posted

Remember this as well, when Windows XP came out in 2000/2001, it was full of bugs as well, and yet not to long afterwords, it became relatively bug free and eventually became the best selling OS for Microsoft(and probably still one of the widest used OS's even 12 years later).  There is not one piece of software that is ever released, that is bug free at launch

This is more like the transition to Windows Vista. NAM30 was out for 18 months (which is a really long time), before NAM31 was released. Like Windows Vista, there were major architectural changes and as a result, it is a bit buggier than previous releases. A lot of features were also removed because they weren't ready for release. Regardless, this version provides a lot of groundwork for future releases where additional stability and functionality is added for a more polished experience. NAM32 will be more like Windows 7 - a more stable release that builds upon the previous improvements and changes of NAM31.
New Horizons Productions
Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dedgren ♦ dmscopio ♦ Ennedi
emilin ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦ papab2000
Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine
See my uploads on the LEX!

AngryBirdsFan436

Quote from: Shadow Assassin on March 03, 2013, 06:02:09 PM

This is more like the transition to Windows Vista. NAM30 was out for 18 months (which is a really long time), before NAM31 was released. Like Windows Vista, there were major architectural changes and as a result, it is a bit buggier than previous releases. A lot of features were also removed because they weren't ready for release. Regardless, this version provides a lot of groundwork for future releases where additional stability and functionality is added for a more polished experience. NAM32 will be more like Windows 7 - a more stable release that builds upon the previous improvements and changes of NAM31.
So what is NAM 33 going to be like? Windows 8?? :P
SC4 + NAM = 20% Cooler!

mike3775

Quote from: Shadow Assassin on March 03, 2013, 06:02:09 PM

well I used XP since it was a new way for OS's to work, and it took a few months for MS to get everything relatively bug free.  Win 7 is really just Vista SP III(as it was the same underlying OS, just tweaks added).

But overall,  I have been happy with Nam 31, bugs and all.  Sure there are things that left out that were promised, but I can't complain, because the NAM team is doing this on their own time for fun, and I am not paying money for it. 

Like SA mentioned, as long as NAM 33 is not like Windows 8, I have no issues  :)

michi_cc

Quote from: Tarkus on March 02, 2013, 03:32:39 PM
The AVE-6/RD-6 and TLA-7/RD-6 transitions did make it in, however--thanks to your textures. :)

Sure about that? They are at least not in my NWM transition tab ring, and they networks don't seem to auto-connect either. I did delete my old NAM folder completely, so a conflict is unlikely, but of course not impossible.

Tarkus

I just checked here on my end.  I was able to get right to them at the end of the NWM Transitions TAB Loop.

-Alex