• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Siilijoki

Started by noahclem, December 07, 2010, 06:41:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jmouse

Another crop of nice photos, Noah. I always love the night shots, and I agree with Robin, the second photo looks terrific. Also, I thank you for the construction-in-progress shot. I have some hilly areas in my region, so I'm paying close attention.

And I've decided on Clarence Randolph for the reindeer's name.

Framly

WELCOME TO THE CLASSICS &apls
Well deserved! A warm welcome from Rondnoir!

Keep up your fantastic work!

I'll send you the K-Walls tomorrow.promised :)

-klick-1st Anniversary Video-klick-
Part of SFBT and RFR Team

vester

I really like that North Pohjanmaa Central Station. Top job on that one.

threestooges

I think the station is unique enough to certainly merit a full release. I hope you decide to proceed with a release on it. The added wall in this picture is a subtle touch, but it really does help.

It's been a pleasure sharing the month here with you as well (and now we'll both be back in the Classics when all is said and done, congratulations on that).
-Matt

catty

Quote from: threestooges on February 23, 2012, 06:41:05 PM
I think the station is unique enough to certainly merit a full release. I hope you decide to proceed with a release on it....

I second that, I think I agree with Raphael (RickD) and Theresa (rambuckel) that Hugo as a name suits the reindeer   :)
I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?" DEATH thought about it. "CATS," he said eventually, "CATS ARE NICE.

Terring7

How did you build the road? It's awesome &dance

As about the reindeer, how about Artemis? You can find the same name for men and women here in Greece (η Άρτεμης - ο Αρτέμης) ;D

"The wisest men follow their own direction" Euripides
The Choice is Ours
---
Simtropolis Moderator here. Can I help? Oh, and you can call me Elias (my real name) if you wish.

benedict

Great updates this week - and you're still at number one on Ben's Top Ten!
Click on the banner to celebrate!

carlfatal

Sometimes i´m so lazy - only lurking...
Wonderful pictures again, remind to that i have to learn so much.  &apls

To the reindeer name competition: Artemis is more the name of a goddess of the woods and a good hunt. Willy is a masculine name and obviously this deer is female, so i would prefer Hugo too, as i know this name for both gender, and yeah, it sounds as relaxed as these deers.  :thumbsup:
Greetz, Carl

zzsteven

An enjoyable set of pictures, Noah. The train ride in update 22 was wonderful.
Thanks for the WIP pic. These are very helpful for me as I try to figure how to build in my region. Which slope mod do you use?

As for a name, I kind of liked Donder:  http://www.offthemark.com/cartoons/the+donner+party/     But Hugo sounds good too.  ;D

zz

io_bg

Beautiful last update and congrats on the 500 comments milestone! &apls
Visit my MD, The region of Pirgos!
Last updated: 28 November

Girafe

Congrats for reaching classics group  &apls &apls

Amazing job with the networks' puzzle  ::)
The Floraler

This is the end, hold your breath and count to ten, feel the earth move, and then...

*   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *    *   *   *   *   *    * 

noahclem

It's an outstanding honor to join the 500 comment club!!!

Here is the first update from the level of the Classics!

The clouds are darkening ominously and the wet season has come. Welcome to my rainy day :)

Suggested listening: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=frnTAro-Lb8

23.1 - We'll start out in Siilijoki Proper

23.2 - Back in East Pohjanmaa the trains chug away while the rain falls

23.3 - The ski hill in the rainy season looks a bit less inviting

23.4 - Only a few hundred meters south, North Pohjanmaa's center sees a lightning strike

23.5 - Across the estuary further south in West Pohjanmaa things are looking gray

23.6 - Continuing the circle around Siilijoki's center, Igelstadt's canals and channels are getting swollen

23.7 - The old center of Igelstadt endures the deluge

23.9 - On the other side of the city's center, one of this month's earlier featured areas gets caught up in the storm

Replies coming very shortly! I'd be quicker but I can't say something until I update and I'm trying to squeeze what I can in to the end of this month. I've already given up on posting some stuff I've prepared for the month so I'll drop a picture from that with replies as quick as possible.

Reindeer Friend update coming shortly also--there had been a 3-way tie last time I compiled the results but a few recent comments have pushed one of the candidates comfortably in to the lead. I'm looking forward to the winners lending their names to Siilijoki's features!

Also, the crazy currents of the Pacific seem to be causing the same problems in Greenacre!!!

art128

That was a nice update, Noah!

The rain, storm and lighting effects were all well done. I specially liked the fourth and the second picture.
I'll take a quiet life... A handshake of carbon monoxide.

Props & Texture Catalog

noahclem

First off, don't miss the previous update!

I made it last night but was direly in need of sleep so I waited until today to do replies and an update on the competition

Still a bit more coming before I get kicked off the stage Wednesday night  ;)

First, the update on the competition with a reminder of the rules:

QuoteLet the "Name My Reindeer Friend" contest begin! You may choose any name you like and recommend that others vote for the name you suggest. I will list the suggested names along with a vote tally as we go along. Votes will be weighted by the number of replies here this month, so every time you reply you cast an additional vote for yourself. The winner of the contest will receive:

1. They're own home in Siilijoki, in the location of their choosing.
2. A political, geographical, or transportation feature of their choosing named for them.
3. An all expenses paid vacation to Siilijoki (in your mind)   $%Grinno$%

Additionally, anyone supporting the winning name will receive their choice of 1 of the three rewards listed above.

Here's the state of the competition right now:

Name           Votes   Namer               Supporting Voters

Hugo             14     RickD                 catty, rambuckel, carlfatal, vinlabsc3k
Willie             10     ThreeStooges     Swordmaster
Randolph       9       JMouse
Timothée       8       Art128
Artemis         4       Terring7
Donder          2      zzSteven

Still a couple days left so get out there and vote! And if you've already voted don't forget that each new reply you leave here adds an additional vote to the name you chose!

Quote from: art128 on February 23, 2012, 02:30:11 PM
Quote from: noahclem on February 23, 2012, 01:38:17 PM

Thanks Arthur! Good suggestion and I've gone ahead and implemented it  ;)  Hope you like the result of it, glad you liked the pictures, and look forward to your next visit here! BTW, with your 6 replies you could be a powerful force in the naming competition--any thoughts?

Uhmmm what about " Timothée " ( pronounced  Timotei ) ? It might sound cool! :D

About the last picture, much much better with the newest fence !  &apls
Thanks Arthur, glad you liked the improvement of the station. Somehow it didn't stop two pedestrians and a guy in a wheel chair from going onto the tracks right after I placed the updated station though  ::)  Wish I'd gotten a picture of that.

Timothée is now in 4th place with 8 votes, only 6 votes out of 1st place  :thumbsup:

Quote from: Swordmaster on February 23, 2012, 02:41:05 PM
Quote from: noahclem on February 23, 2012, 01:38:17 PM
Great to hear from you again buddy! As mentioned later, the idea is to have express trains pass through while local trains are stopped. I'm a bit concerned I've done something nonsensical as you're much more knowledgeable about trains than I am--now that it's clarified, does it seem reasonable? Also, you need to vote in the competition! As one of Siilijoki's experts on railroads I'd love to name a section of rails or station for you!

Well, I was actually puzzled by the buffer stops behind the switches, so I started imagining too much. But come to think of it, they may be some kind of catch points [linkie] locked on straight while the signal is closed to avoid the stopped train accidentally running onto the main track. You see these mostly in older installations. Makes sense, then.

Willie the Reindeer? Got my vote, that one  ;)

Cheers,
Willy
Thanks for the article and glad the station layout seems to make sense after all. The whole area there is on a slope so that may support the catch point theory making sense.

Quote from: Jmouse on February 23, 2012, 02:42:47 PM
Another crop of nice photos, Noah. I always love the night shots, and I agree with Robin, the second photo looks terrific. Also, I thank you for the construction-in-progress shot. I have some hilly areas in my region, so I'm paying close attention.

And I've decided on Clarence Randolph for the reindeer's name.

Thanks Joan! Glad you liked the picture and BTW the train in 23.4 has just left that same station, which is about 5 tiles to the right of the pictures view. I've been doing some more work on that interchange under construction and I'll be back with an update shortly. Hilly areas can be a real hassle but once you get used to working with them they're something really satisfying to get developed right, I guess because of the extra challenge.

As for the competition, Clarence had been in a three-way tie for first place last time I compiled votes but the most recent tallying puts Randolph in 3rd place, though certainly within striking distance of a win  :thumbsup:

Quote from: Framly on February 23, 2012, 05:27:12 PM
WELCOME TO THE CLASSICS &apls
Well deserved! A warm welcome from Rondnoir!

Keep up your fantastic work!

I'll send you the K-Walls tomorrow.promised :)
Thank you very much Framly! No rush on the walls  :D

Quote from: vester on February 23, 2012, 06:02:29 PM
I really like that North Pohjanmaa Central Station. Top job on that one.
Thanks very much Arne! Glad you liked it  :thumbsup:

I think the station is unique enough to certainly merit a full release. I hope you decide to proceed with a release on it. The added wall in this picture is a subtle touch, but it really does help.

It's been a pleasure sharing the month here with you as well (and now we'll both be back in the Classics when all is said and done, congratulations on that).
-Matt
Judging by the feedback here a full release may make sense. I'll probably rely on you and the rest of the NUTS to figure out how best to move forward with that.

Thanks for the congrats and I hope you didn't mind me tossing in a picture from Greenacre!

Quote from: catty on February 23, 2012, 09:46:01 PM
I think the station is unique enough to certainly merit a full release. I hope you decide to proceed with a release on it....

I second that, I think I agree with Raphael (RickD) and Theresa (rambuckel) that Hugo as a name suits the reindeer   :)
Thanks for the station feedback, I think I will do a release on that one. Hugo is now in the lead, so you may want to consider how to use your naming or housing prize  :thumbsup:

Quote from: Terring7 on February 24, 2012, 01:22:49 AM
How did you build the road? It's awesome &dance

As about the reindeer, how about Artemis? You can find the same name for men and women here in Greece (η Άρτεμης - ο Αρτέμης) ;D

Thanks Elias!! The road was made with a combination of Tram-in-Avenue on-slope FLUPs and kazuki's RBP walls, both found under "frequently requested links" in my signature. I've re-lotted the walls you see in the picture but the original ones work just he same. Let me know if you have anymore questions about this and I'm happy to help--a couple people have asked before so I'll probably also do a little tutorial when I get time.

And thanks for your vote!

Quote from: benedict on February 24, 2012, 07:50:14 AM
Great updates this week - and you're still at number one on Ben's Top Ten!
Thanks Ben, once again I'm honored!

Quote from: carlfatal on February 25, 2012, 08:25:03 AM
Sometimes i´m so lazy - only lurking...
Wonderful pictures again, remind to that i have to learn so much.  &apls

To the reindeer name competition: Artemis is more the name of a goddess of the woods and a good hunt. Willy is a masculine name and obviously this deer is female, so i would prefer Hugo too, as i know this name for both gender, and yeah, it sounds as relaxed as these deers.  :thumbsup:
Greetz, Carl
I know how it is to lurk too much :D  I've especially been guilty of not posting because I want to leave more than a simple "good job", planning on going back to leave a detailed comment and then forgetting about it  &mmm

Anyway, thanks for leaving a nice comment this time around! I know there's things I can learn from your MD as well. I'm curious how you're so sure the reindeer is female--it's often hard for me to tell with reindeer because they all have antlers. Anyway, your name is winning at the moment.

Quote from: zzsteven on February 25, 2012, 09:07:53 AM
An enjoyable set of pictures, Noah. The train ride in update 22 was wonderful.
Thanks for the WIP pic. These are very helpful for me as I try to figure how to build in my region. Which slope mod do you use?

As for a name, I kind of liked Donder:  http://www.offthemark.com/cartoons/the+donner+party/     But Hugo sounds good too.  ;D

zz
Thanks! The main slope mod I use is the BRF one from the STEX. I have modified it to work with Rivit's tunnel replacements and often temporarily modify the maximum slopes in it. I also have a separate RHW slope mod that I use about half the time--usually it's easiest for me to just level the area I'm going to build RHW on using rail, el-rail, highway or avenue.

Nice cartoon  :D

Quote from: io_bg on February 26, 2012, 03:55:39 AM
Beautiful last update and congrats on the 500 comments milestone! &apls
Thanks very much Ioan!

Quote from: Girafe on February 26, 2012, 06:01:53 AM
Congrats for reaching classics group  &apls &apls

Amazing job with the networks' puzzle  ::)
Thanks for the congrats and glad you liked the way those networks fit together  :thumbsup:

Quote from: art128 on February 27, 2012, 03:23:48 AM
That was a nice update, Noah!

The rain, storm and lighting effects were all well done. I specially liked the fourth and the second picture.
Thanks Arthur! I'm excited to show more of the area around that fourth picture (it's right next to that North Pohjanmaa Central Station I keep showing pictures of)--maybe for my last update this month....

carlfatal

Thanks for the nice answer, but all i can is using some tricks...  ::)

Back to the reindeer´s name: most deers the males are loners whereas the females live in groups the whole year. I´m not sure about reindeers as they aren´t common around here but i think it should be similar. And then on Your pictures i can see a youngster, also a sign for a group of female deers...  ()stsfd()

But now to something completely different: these rain pictures are awesome, especially the swollen riverbed and the water flowing between the trees in the former park area.  &apls
And congrats on reaching the classics, it is really well deserved.
Keep up the good work, i´ll stay as a fan.
Greetz, Carl

Kergelen

As always I love your tram and rail system! Well done.
Also nice is the flats riverside and the raining pictures &apls

And my vote go to Willie :)

Links to SC4 websites

Jmouse

Noah, this is a superb update. The rainy-day theme is a clever idea to begin with. The lightening strike at night in 23.4 is certainly an eye catcher.  I sat and stared at it for several minutes, soaking up the details and enjoying the composition.

23.6 and 23.9 are both excellent what with the fall colors and the water obviously lapping at the tree trunks. 23.7 appeals to my fondness for night shots, and the last photo is one of the best I've ever seen in the way of atmosphere. It looks like it belongs in a book about haunted houses, and I assure you, that is a high compliment.

Great work as always... :)
-Joan

Dantes

Amazing nice night shot Teaser  :o Good night  :P

RickD

23.2:  :shocked2:   &apls

All in all one of your best updates, so far.
My name is Raphael.
Visit my MD: Empire Bay (My old MD: Santa Barbara County)

apeguy

Amazing update, the PS effects are perfectly done, and I really like those RHW-10 bridges. ;D ;D

Keep up the awesome work. :thumbsup:

The Deltan Empire is here! Click the Banner to have a look! | Kanalka City, Capital of the Barrier Islands

PlayStation Network ID: theapeguy