• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Siilijoki

Started by noahclem, December 07, 2010, 06:41:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kergelen

wow!! This is an amazing interchange and surely difficult to made. I'm watching it several times and still doubt how you put the roads so close each other with the walls arround. &apls &apls
You said are TE Lots? I don't understand what it means m-tel lots
And the closest last picture is so nice. :thumbsup:

Links to SC4 websites

bat

Great work on the highway there! Looking forward to more... ;)

threestooges

I may be borrowing some pointers on how to do interchanges. I'll meet you in the Atascocita Room for consultation. Heh, I liked the memo you used. Nice little details on all that.

As for the 3rd picture there, showing the local access interchange at the northeastern end of the complex, it reminds me a bit of the Hollywood Freeway (US 101) near Barham Blvd. It has the freeway dipping between side streets and incorporates the elevation changes too. Very nice solution in a very real-world connection. Nicely done.
-Matt

noahclem

A good evening to you all!  --or whatever time of day it may be for you. Around here I'm savoring any darkness I can, partially for novelty before it's gone before the summer and mainly because I love the northern lights and you can see them most clear nights around here this time of year. But I digress....

First, let's go back to the only non-interchange picture from last time--this time we're one zoom out and you can probably see what I was trying to do with the spot:

water below sea level doesn't make sense past that point and I'm really happy with how knapp's water can transition into my water! Big-ups to girafe and the rest of the VIP team for the flora!

Another teaser of the Tunturikyla Interchange (on the edges)

Nearby:

And finally, my most recent progress with the last interchange construction project. Finding my way down the hill has been a long process of second-guessing myself, bulldozing stuff and restarting again. I think I know how it's going to end up, but I'll request your input again. Does the elevated section of the motorway make sense or no? The areas above it will be leveled out to be suitable for apartment blocks....

I'm very grateful for all of my comments here but there were a couple with answers that are relevant to everyone that's curious about Siilijoki. I've answered them first and encourage you to have a look   "$Deal"$

Quote from: Jmouse on March 24, 2012, 12:43:13 PM
Still watching closely, Noah. This is one complex interchange, all the more so because you're building it on uneven ground. It looks like you have a bit of a tight squeeze for the rail in the fifth photo, so I'm eager to see how you deal with it. Do you plan these things out on paper? Or what?

BTW, at this point, the last photo is a sight for sore eyes... ;)
-Joan

Thanks Joan! Yes I plan all these out on paper--fortunately that's fun for me or else this game would be ridiculously taxing  :D  For every interchange that appears in Siilijoki there's many graph paper drawings and a lot of second-guessing within the game. For that reason the number of interchanges in the entire region is in the low teens even though I'm a pretty big RHW fan. There's a wealth of planned interchanges too that I'll share at some point, even if it's only in graph paper form. Some I considered almost game-changing but never realized because I never started the tile I planned it for, some are obsolete with the newest NAM technology, and most of the drawings revolve around central Siilijoki's interchanges. It's going to be a crazy but (hopefully) aesthetically pleasing mess in the city center whenever I realize it  ?=mad)=

Also, your room in the DOT here was not your reward  ;)  It's coming though I'd rather take my time and get it right then rush it....

Quote from: Swordmaster on March 24, 2012, 04:53:43 AM
I have to concur with the above. Brilliant freeways snaking through the landscape.

I'm also getting quite curious as to where you'll be going with this region, size-wise. You seem to be gearing up for quite some capacity on those roads, and it looks like there's enough open space left there.

Cheers,
Willy
Thank you as well Willy! Because of the amount of time I spend making my motorways I've designed them to last though whatever capacity increase I can through at them. And the ultimate plan is to through a lot of capacity at them. As the region evolves I want central Siilijoki to be a major commuting area with lots and lots of CO$$ and CO$$$ jobs. It will be a cultural, residential, and (most importantly) transportation center as well, but my intent for the region is to have many well-traveled spokes of transportation networks extending in all directions from Siilijoki's center.

Quote from: threestooges on March 26, 2012, 08:42:08 PM
I may be borrowing some pointers on how to do interchanges. I'll meet you in the Atascocita Room for consultation. Heh, I liked the memo you used. Nice little details on all that.

As for the 3rd picture there, showing the local access interchange at the northeastern end of the complex, it reminds me a bit of the Hollywood Freeway (US 101) near Barham Blvd. It has the freeway dipping between side streets and incorporates the elevation changes too. Very nice solution in a very real-world connection. Nicely done.
-Matt

I love the link! --the surroundings fit better than what I've been thinking recently for the area, though I'll tend more towards the low-rise blocks than the houses for Siilijoki. I'm really glad you picked up on the details of my document (I like to think it has more to do with interest than professional inclination  :D ) and glad you liked what I've been up to. The Atascocita Room is always open and I'd love to have a chat about interchanges  :)

Quote from: art128 on March 23, 2012, 04:07:50 PM
Now that's what I call planning an highway. You've put the planning works as the same level as Alex (Tarkus), Good job, Noah!

I'm still speechless on how you manage to put an elegant highway interchange with fantastic realistic slopes in such a limited space. Maybe by far one of the best mountain work I have seen in five years.
That's so awesome to hear Arthur! Thank you so much! Always a pleasure to have you around here and I hope you know that  &hlp

Quote from: catty on March 23, 2012, 04:10:45 PM
Quote from: noahclem on March 18, 2012, 06:19:30 PM
Quote from: catty on March 15, 2012, 10:59:09 AM
A surprise sounds good, love the night-shots ... I always think of cities coming alive at night, it seems easier somehow to image the residents and their lives   :)

And a surprise you will have! Perhaps the night shots seem more alive because some of the details that would be hard to look right in the game wouldn't be visible in the dark anyway. In any case I'm a big fan of SC4 at night....

and a very nice surprise it was ... fitted perfectly as well   :thumbsup:
So glad you liked it! It's the primary feature of all of my recent work so I believe it will be coming up again quite a bit  :)

Quote from: kelis on March 23, 2012, 04:39:59 PM
As Arthur I'm still speechless, your highway interchanges looks amazing, they are very very realistics my friend !!
Thank you so much my friend! Always great to have you visiting  :thumbsup:

Quote from: rambuckel on March 24, 2012, 02:15:26 AM
WOW ... I love that picture with the red kayak ... that's a real "NOAH"  $%Grinno$% A huge interchange where propably millions of cars and trucks will drive past each day, but there's at least one inhabitant who does not care at all =) Brilliant scenery!

And by the way ... the rest is impressive as well  ;)

Best wishes Theresa
Hehehe  $%Grinno$%  If that's a "Noah" than I'm a happy guy  ;)  I try to pay attention to the peaceful people that love the nature as well--Siilijoki is trying to be about balance....
btw, we're going back to Alba Ave soon in a great way  :thumbsup:

Quote from: Framly on March 24, 2012, 06:15:45 AM
Great work Noah!

The Interchange looks fantastic! Hard puzzle work :P
Thanks Framly! Yeah, it was hard as hell! Really glad you liked the result so far  ;)

Quote from: apeguy on March 24, 2012, 07:34:23 AM
That's an incredibly difficult highway you're trying to build there, and I'm amazed at how well you've done winding it through the mountains, especially while trying to accommodate a rail tunnel as well as numerous offramps and onramps. I also like the way you've used marrast's M-TEL peices for some of your ramps, quite ingenious. Well Done. :thumbsup:

I'm looking forward to seeing this highway completed. ;D ;D
Dude, that's an awesomely-detailed comment. As you already know, there's not much that's better for an MDer than to have someone thoroughly look at their work and give a detailed answer. The project will continue and eventually all phases will be presentable!

Quote from: SeanSC4 on March 24, 2012, 08:00:58 AM
That is an amazing interchange you're constructing there. Your work with the RHW never ceases to amaze me.
It's really great to hear that man! Thank you and you're always welcome around here  ;)

Quote from: Yan077 on March 24, 2012, 12:23:08 PM
Hmmm, the interchange is too complicated for me  ;D, however I love the last picture   ;)
Always a pleasure to visit Siilijoki :thumbsup:
Thanks buddy, I hope there's a couple pics that are more your style this time around  ;D

Quote from: Kergelen on March 25, 2012, 12:43:10 PM
wow!! This is an amazing interchange and surely difficult to made. I'm watching it several times and still doubt how you put the roads so close each other with the walls arround. &apls &apls
You said are TE Lots? I don't understand what it means m-tel lots
And the closest last picture is so nice. :thumbsup:
Thanks buddy! I share the link with your shortly (simtropolis, marrast) or give you my own lots when they're ready. Really glad you liked the interchange! It was a lot of work but at least i enjoyed it  ;D

Quote from: bat on March 26, 2012, 05:44:49 AM
Great work on the highway there! Looking forward to more... ;)

Thanks bat!

threestooges

Each time I see part of this interchange, it reminds me of some of the stuff around the LA area (Google maps is a wonderful thing). LA and its surrounding areas is quite interesting from a freeway point of view for me. It's system developed over several decades before, during, and after the Golden Age of the auto, so there are plenty of varieties of transit network to observe, including some rather decadent interchange ramps. With the hills that it has, it certainly has some interesting solutions for how to handle them.
-Matt

bat

Fantastic new views there! The river is looking great. Also nice shot of the bridges.

Gugu3

Excellent!!your work is amazing!!!really like your region! &aplsHave a lot oof things to learn from you &apls

Girafe

Good job with the flora as always :)
The Floraler

This is the end, hold your breath and count to ten, feel the earth move, and then...

*   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *    *   *   *   *   *    * 

RickD

Hmm, I don't fully get what you are trying to to with the elevated RHW there. Do you plan on using the ground-elevated transition for getting down the hill quicker? Or do you plan on continuing the highway elevated for a while? I think the latter won't be very realistic. I can't see a reason for building an elevated road there. But maybe I am missing something.  :P

Anyway, I am really curious to see it finished. I know that it is very hard to work on such terrain and I am sure you will find a creative an good looking solution. ;)
My name is Raphael.
Visit my MD: Empire Bay (My old MD: Santa Barbara County)

Ol.S / Benoit

I like the second picture... I can see that your are having some fun with intersection lately, and you've done a pretty good job ! Keep it up ! :)
Benoit.
MD : Click on picture

Flatron

Your MD is one of the best at the moment, there's not too much MMP and the right amount of Highway construction :thumbsup: &apls

wallasey

Great updates going on here! Apologies for being dormant!

Regarding your second pic. I know a section of highway which may provide some help. What I would suggest is to make use of the contours of the hill. Sounds a little bizarre I know; you have used 6S So the feasability of some form of split level may be the way forward.

What is your junction like? Is it a simple interchange with a road?

As for the rail line, think you need that on the opposite side of the highway.

I hope these google images are of use. They are all of the same section of road which I believe is relevant to your situation here.

M6 Tebay 1

M6 Tebay 2

M6 Tebay 3

M6 Tebay 4

Hope this was of use! There is a good trumpet interchange a little to the North on the last google link.

Good luck!

rambuckel

Great pictures again, Noah!  &apls &apls &apls

I love the wrecked boat in the "Tunturikyla Interchange"-picture  :D

I hope that's not the boat of the lonely paddler from the last update =)
Angels can fly because they don't take themselves too serious!

Jmouse

That's some great scenery you've shown in the first three photos, Noah. You've given me some good ideas on tree placement, and I always enjoy seeing a passing train in the scene. I wonder how you got that nice chunk of rock to appear under the interchange in the second photo. Then seeing a train pass over an eye-catching expanse of water with sunbeams playing on the wavelets is just icing on the cake. And I would love to see how you plan your interchanges on paper.

Looks like excellence is the norm for you...
-Joan

art128

Nice work, lovely pictures, Noah! I'm eager to see more of the interchange, and future developed areas in the mountains. :)
I'll take a quiet life... A handshake of carbon monoxide.

Props & Texture Catalog

kelis

Yes, we want to see more of the interchange,you are doing a great job with it  &apls &apls
.                                                                                                                      

|| Benelux Team || Windows on the World || My Photos on Flickr || Kelis BNL Projects ||

Kergelen

Great pictures: I love the combination of nature, bridges and RHW.
Looks so realistic! &apls &apls

Links to SC4 websites

noahclem

Functional, adjacent, realistically-scaled (ie, not MHW), 6-lane tunnels anyone?  ;D

Testing is still on-going and the pathing seemed suspiciously easy--especially for my fist attempt at editing/creating paths  ;)

Look for further explanation and implementation coming soon--as well as replies and a real update that my work-life is calming down slightly....

rooker1

Oh wow.  This is super!!
&apls
Robin :thumbsup:
Call me Robin, please.

Jmouse

This is going to be one fantastic transportation unit, Noah. I hope you'll explain how and why all of this works together, assuming the six-lane tunnel somehow ties in with what you've shown us in the last two updates.

I'm eager to see how it all turns out...
-Joan