• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Siilijoki

Started by noahclem, December 07, 2010, 06:41:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gugu3

Nice job with area!! :)and also nice usage of RHW in hilly terrain! &aplsabout the FLUP pieces..which FLUP pieces did you use to go under the seawalls and the river?the no texture ones?I'm interested in knowing more...

noahclem

Hello, hello! I'm still hoping to get a nice update out before the end of the month in honor of 1 1/2 years of Siilijoki. SimCity didn't much make it into my summer vacation as spending time with my girlfriend was the priority and the weather was pretty nice too. Of course one way to enjoy a warm evening is to sit on the terrace playing SC4 and enjoying a relaxing beverage....

But I digress. For now I need a bit of help to figure out a commuting/interchange problem I'm having. I've been having problems with this interchange:

The people on the top side are desparate for jobs but just won't use this interchange which connects to a nearby mall with some 12,000 C$$ jobs (the demand is there, thank you CAM).

Here's a closer look at the interchange. You can see the only commuters are nearby pedestrian ones (my traffic simulator requires parking but there is plenty just down the motorway near the jobs). The mall is off screen to the right side and all the paths in that direction seem fine*. Before I completed the next interchange to the east (right) traffic was coming off the motorway and turning around here to head back and commute to Siilijoki Proper. Is there a problem with the on-slope avenue x OWR piece somehow?

* The ramps on the left side don't connect properly to the avenue overpass and the intersection will have to be reconfigured.

Speaking of the next intersection down, here's a couple still under construction views:

There's plenty of traffic here! The interchange looks quite 'wrinkly" but it's not an accident. While perfectly functional now it will be very attractive looking once L1 avenue viaducts arrive. It's usually a bad (and frustrating) habit to make plans based on future networks but I made an exception since the current version is perfectly functional  ;D

Anyway, just sharing what's in the works right now and hoping someone can figure out what my problem is.

I'll be working towards something pretty to share soon. In the meantime me, Elias, and Raphael will be quaffing a couple beers--perhaps Benoit and Gugu3 will join us for a beverage of their choice as well and of course more are welcome  :D

@ Gugu3: I used FLUP under pedestrian mall pieces so the hole in Xannepan's seawalls wouldn't be very noticeable (i used his overhanging bridge piece to be able to get them under. I'll show a picture of the canal bottom soon.

Gugu3

A beer is more than welcome!!! :D
regarding the interchange..it's a strange situation..the pathways look ok..don't know why sims are not using it..maybe Tarkus or Ganaram or one of the other NAMites can give you an answer..I hope so!!
Thanks for the reply! :thumbsup:

vinlabsc3k

Hi Noah, I hope you spend your summer holidays with fun and joy! ;)
This situation on your intersection was happen even to me. :'( I've resolved it with the elimination of TE lots from intersection. &mmm
Maybe it was a bug with the path controller in game. :angrymore:
My creation at CityBuilders.

SimCity 5 is here with the NAM Creations!!

Gilikov1994

your MD realy impressed me! what a wonderfull region! your highways are looking good either :D

- Giel  :thumbsup:
Check out my LOT thread, and also the EBLTeam!

==> http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=10509.msg318190#new <==

MandelSoft

I think that people can find their way to work (or the other way around), but not back home due to one-way connections. Try to see if that's the issue...
Lurk mode: ACTIVE

Schulmanator

Those wacky sims sometimes have trouble walking in a straight line...  :P
I have been known to use subway stations, sometimes clandestinely, to bypass their poor sense of direction...
See the all-new National Capital Region!:http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=15118.0

Tarkus

Quote from: noahclem on June 27, 2012, 11:54:33 AM
But I digress. For now I need a bit of help to figure out a commuting/interchange problem I'm having. I've been having problems with this interchange:
. . .
The people on the top side are desparate for jobs but just won't use this interchange which connects to a nearby mall with some 12,000 C$$ jobs (the demand is there, thank you CAM).

First off, wow, that's a snazzy interchange!  :thumbsup:  Looking at DrawPaths, I'm seeing the paths ending on those OWR segments right before the intersections, and I'm also seeing a red line across there, which indicates a path with 255 as an entrance/exit.  It looks like the segment right before the intersection is using the ortho stub paths instead of the through ortho network paths, and it's not allowing through traffic.  Are you using the retaining wall trick to build those connections?  I'm really curious as to how they're put together. :)

-Alex

Swordmaster

Great updates since I last checked, Noah. Haven't had much time for SC4 lately, but coming back, first thing I did was look at this thread.  ;)

Cheers,
Willy

art128

That was one great looking interchange, and a truly master-like development in that hill. It's a shame about the unemployment. As the above comments, seems like they can go to the mall, but can't get back home.
If you're lazy and want a temporary solution, you can always build a small subway line. ;)
I'll take a quiet life... A handshake of carbon monoxide.

Props & Texture Catalog

noahclem

To my American friends (with whom I share a homeland and passport) a Happy Independence Day from Siilijoki!

A bit of exciting news, I'm now running Siilijoki on the most recent P57 build instead of limiting my testing to the sandbox! It's an early step but still exciting.

Due to a work schedule of around 60hrs/week for July I'll most likely not be able to contribute as much as I would like to this month (read one "numbered"/full update at best. I have previously promised a celebration, however, and I intend to deliver even if it's a few weeks or more off schedule. I've been planning on---wait it won't be so much fun if I give things away  :P   Anyway, there are a handful of things I've planned to share that could be a fun part of a "special update".

Quote from: Gugu3 on June 27, 2012, 03:02:07 PM
A beer is more than welcome!!! :D
regarding the interchange..it's a strange situation..the pathways look ok..don't know why sims are not using it..maybe Tarkus or Ganaram or one of the other NAMites can give you an answer..I hope so!!
Thanks for the reply! :thumbsup:
Yeah, the only pathways with problems are my m-tel re-lots and they have nothing to do with the mall commute (the Siilijoki city center is in that direction, which I also wish they would commute to). I do think we're working towards a solution.

Quote from: vinlabsc3k on June 28, 2012, 02:43:08 AM

Hi Noah, I hope you spend your summer holidays with fun and joy! ;)
This situation on your intersection was happen even to me. :'( I've resolved it with the elimination of TE lots from intersection. &mmm
Maybe it was a bug with the path controller in game. :angrymore:

Yes, the summer holidays were great, thanks! Those TE lots are going to go but that shouldn't affect the mall commute. I'll have to look into that problem....

Quote from: Gilikov1994 on June 29, 2012, 07:55:15 AM
your MD realy impressed me! what a wonderfull region! your highways are looking good either :D

- Giel  :thumbsup:
Thanks Giel and welcome to Siilijoki! Glad you liked the highways and welcome back!

Quote from: MandelSoft on June 29, 2012, 12:04:05 PM
I think that people can find their way to work (or the other way around), but not back home due to one-way connections. Try to see if that's the issue...
Thank you Maarten and nice to have you visit again  :thumbsup:  Do you mean neighbor connections or just OWRs and highways? Neighbor connections wouldn't affect this one but I'll have another look at all the paths in the area.

Quote from: Schulmanator on July 01, 2012, 01:03:44 PM
Those wacky sims sometimes have trouble walking in a straight line...  :P
I have been known to use subway stations, sometimes clandestinely, to bypass their poor sense of direction...
Hehe, yeah, they can have a bit of trouble--perhaps there was some kind of celebration going on when they were trying to stagger their way to work  :D   A subway connection is a good idea, even if only as a temporarily fix until I resolve whatever else is going on here  :thumbsup:

Quote from: Tarkus on July 01, 2012, 01:23:07 PM
First off, wow, that's a snazzy interchange!  :thumbsup:  Looking at DrawPaths, I'm seeing the paths ending on those OWR segments right before the intersections, and I'm also seeing a red line across there, which indicates a path with 255 as an entrance/exit.  It looks like the segment right before the intersection is using the ortho stub paths instead of the through ortho network paths, and it's not allowing through traffic.  Are you using the retaining wall trick to build those connections?  I'm really curious as to how they're put together. :)

-Alex

Thanks Alex, glad you liked the interchange! It's been particularly fun, though also particularly frustrating, trying to work the highway network through this area. This interchange is at the edge of a larger complex, consisting of three separate partial "Y"s with each partial "Y" including local, bidirectional access. One Y (so far constructed only on graph paper) is directly connected to a 4th "Y", this one a full one, so in a way the complex could be thought of as two partial Ys connected to not-quite-a-full-access-4-way-all-with-local-access. Topography made such a setup sensible/sane  ?=mad)=

The section of the interchange you're asking about was created using my re-lotted version of m-tels. I could swear that the paths didn't used to do that....  Anyway, i got them to "float" above the neighboring terrain and instead of using the retaining wall method. I may just replace them with MIS or RHW-4 transitions to cut down on future headache--though those re-lots aren't a project i'm ready to give up on just yet!

Would those 255 exit paths affect the right-hand side of the interchange that doesn't involve the TE lots?

Quote from: Swordmaster on July 04, 2012, 07:22:54 AM
Great updates since I last checked, Noah. Haven't had much time for SC4 lately, but coming back, first thing I did was look at this thread.  ;)

Cheers,
Willy
Wow, that's great to hear! Hope you find a bit more time for SC4 and it's great to see you here!

Quote from: art128 on July 04, 2012, 07:27:30 AM
That was one great looking interchange, and a truly master-like development in that hill. It's a shame about the unemployment. As the above comments, seems like they can go to the mall, but can't get back home.
If you're lazy and want a temporary solution, you can always build a small subway line. ;)
Thank you Arthur! I may end up having to go for the subway line option, temporarily as you said. More to come on the interchange for sure  ;)

bat

Nice night shot with nice fireworks there! :)

kelis

.                                                                                                                      

|| Benelux Team || Windows on the World || My Photos on Flickr || Kelis BNL Projects ||

art128

Great picture, Noah! Looks like people on the beach are enjoying the fireworks. :)

Props & Texture Catalog

noahclem

A panorama showing the newest alignments of the rails leaving the Central Station in Siilijoki Proper. Much more pictures, plans, and details of the area coming soon--700 Replies will trigger a full update  ;D

Click for full size!

RickD

I like how you work with the terrain.   &apls
My name is Raphael.
Visit my MD: Empire Bay (My old MD: Santa Barbara County)

art128

Great panorama, Noah! Everything is really well set in this area. The railways to the station are wonderful.

My only critic would be about the tramway line. I find it a bit useless and dangerous to go all over the avenue at the top, when it can just cross under the rail bridges and then unite with the avenue. This way it will prevent traffic jams. (unless there is a station covered by the buildings)

Props & Texture Catalog

Nanami

Nice one! how do you make that diagonal railway bridge???

vortext

Quote from: noahclem on July 16, 2012, 04:22:33 AM
Much more pictures, plans, and details of the area coming soon--700 Replies will trigger a full update  ;D

That's a compelling argument for me to drop a line.  Great job as per usual. I feel right at home with all the rain.  &sly    :D

Quote from: 976 on July 16, 2012, 09:11:06 AM
Nice one! how do you make that diagonal railway bridge???
Those are the raised railway puzzle pieces from the NAM.
time flies like a bird
fruit flies like a banana

Schulmanator

Awesome picture! I am eager for more!
See the all-new National Capital Region!:http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=15118.0