• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

CAM - General Discussions

Started by RippleJet, May 01, 2007, 01:35:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BarbyW

No, the Cobb Atlantic is a R$$$ stage 11.
Inside every old person is a young person wondering what happened. TP

Barbypedia: More alive than the original

mightygoose

jeez louise... what about the atpx 8590?
NAM + CAM + RAM + SAM, that's how I roll....

xxdita

I'm thinking that's R$. But I have every CAM download available on the LEX, and the only R$$$ Stage 15's I have are the ones I've personally tweaked for my own use.

RippleJet

Currently there are no custom stage 15 R§§§ buildings available.
They have been requested for some time now, and we're still waiting for a skyscraper batter to volunteer... ::)

There will be one by Maxis included in CAM 1.1 though, the Empire Stage Building! :)

snorrelli

Another suggestion for CAM-ification, if I may...

This is Hagestede Apartments, by Tag-one, I think...

It's a great building (family) and a great lot - one of my favorites. However, it grows like a weed on 2X3 low density zones. Seems like if it were CAM-ified it would become a higher stage lot on medium density zones and would grow less often?
Have you ever had the Prop Pox? Join us to help find a vaccine or a cure.

Totuna e dac-ai murit flăcău ori moş îngârbovit;
Dar nu-i totuna leu să mori ori câine-nlănţuit.

tag_one

Ah the good old Hagestede Apartments which added some density to the low density zones :-[ 
I'll CAMify this one for you. Expect it on the lex in about 1 or 2 weeks  :)

*starts the secret X-Tool $%#Ninj2*

snorrelli

Quote from: tag_one on February 11, 2008, 07:41:56 AM
Ah the good old Hagestede Apartments which added some density to the low density zones :-[ 
I'll CAMify this one for you. Expect it on the lex in about 1 or 2 weeks  :)

*starts the secret X-Tool $%#Ninj2*

Whoa - from the author himself! Great - much appreciated. It would also be good if you could keep the same IID, so I don't have to go in and bulldoze all instances first!  $%Grinno$% ;)
Have you ever had the Prop Pox? Join us to help find a vaccine or a cure.

Totuna e dac-ai murit flăcău ori moş îngârbovit;
Dar nu-i totuna leu să mori ori câine-nlănţuit.

tag_one

xxdita

Only new instances would be counted by the CAMelot counters though, so you may want to bulldoze them anyway, at least in your active cities, to keep the count accurate.

RippleJet

Quote from: xxdita on February 12, 2008, 12:37:47 AM
Only new instances would be counted by the CAMelot counters though, so you may want to bulldoze them anyway, at least in your active cities, to keep the count accurate.

xxdita, the Hagestede Apartments are too small to become CAMeLots :P
Four stories tall it wouldn't be called a skyscraper even in my little town! :D

xxdita

Doh! I knew it didn't seem right bulldozing one of Tag's buildings

remyspam

Forgive me if this has already been asked, but there are so many (massive) topics about Cam.

But if I want to unCam a building, is it correct to just set the growth to a stage 1-8 and remove the weirdlooking OccupantGroups (eg. 0xA5385432)?

There are so many nice buildings available for Cam, but I don't use Cam, that's why I ask :)

BarbyW

You can do change the growth stage but all the buildings available for CAM are available in non CAM versions as well. The stats for the non CAM ones may be skewed - ie excessive garbage - but there are very few CAM only buildings. I don't recognise the Occupant Group you quote as all CAM OGs start 0xB5C00 so would only suggest removing those.
I have to ask why you don't use CAM, however, as it balances the game more and gives more growth stages so you don't get skyscrapers growing too soon or on low density zones. It gives a whole new dimension to the game.

remyspam

Quote from: BarbyW on February 20, 2008, 11:17:48 AM
You can do change the growth stage but all the buildings available for CAM are available in non CAM versions as well. The stats for the non CAM ones may be skewed - ie excessive garbage - but there are very few CAM only buildings. I don't recognise the Occupant Group you quote as all CAM OGs start 0xB5C00 so would only suggest removing those.
I have to ask why you don't use CAM, however, as it balances the game more and gives more growth stages so you don't get skyscrapers growing too soon or on low density zones. It gives a whole new dimension to the game.
The growth stage was just random :)

I'm very hesitant to use cam as I'm afraid I'll get too much skyscrapers, there are already too many as there are now.
(for my taste). I know should use more medium density, but it's almost like there's a fourth density missing (ultra density) for the really high skyscrapers.

Also, the CAM-pictures I've seen so far are mostly cities absolutely full of skyscrapers and quite ugly imho.

Example:

As you can see the picture on the right as even more skyscrapers.

I know it evens out the growth, etc., but if that means cities full of skyscrapers... We3ll, I don't know.

BarbyW

But you are far more likely to get skyscrapers much earlier without CAM as they grow at a much earlier stage. I use CAM and have no problems in controlling the growth of a city without skyscrapers. If you are looking at the under stage 8 buildings that state that they have been CAMified, that only means that they have been modded using the X_Tool to have balanced stats and will work with or without CAM. The only buidlings that will ONLY grow with CAM are those with a growth stage for Res and COm over stage 8 and for industrials including farms over stage 3.

remyspam

Quote from: BarbyW on February 20, 2008, 11:51:10 AM
But you are far more likely to get skyscrapers much earlier without CAM as they grow at a much earlier stage. I use CAM and have no problems in controlling the growth of a city without skyscrapers.
Oh, is that the case?
Maybe I've misjudged the CAM?
It's just that 'Collossus' gives me the feeling of massive buildings, but the name could also be BAM, Balanced Addon Mod?

In that case I might want to try it... I just wouldn't like any Empire State sized buildings in a small farming community :P

And while I'm here and starting to sway... there's a Simgoober mod for growable landmarks.. is there a CAM equivalent?

BarbyW

I think you have misjudged the CAM. :) I suggest you go here: http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=1877.0
and download the manual which is available in a variety of languages. This should help set your mind at rest.

jmyers2043

Hello Remyspam

I can recommend the CAM.

It is perfect for farms as well as for BIG cities. This is the picture of the CAM region that I am playing with right now. There are a lot of farms. A lot of small towns, villages, and even a big city in the middle of it all.  

This is the biggest city in my CAM region.  I now have a total of 6 non industrial CAMeLOTS (4 residential stage 9 and two commercial stage 11). I am trying to have a tall central business district. The most of my city will be sprawling suburbs with a lot of low density commercials and houses.

I hope that I you see that the CAM is not just about being tall. But more about everything working better together.

Jim Myers  (5th member of SC4 Devotion)

xxdita

Colossus refers more to the breakthrough of the mod than the size of the buildings. Extending the Vanilla game's 3 Industrial Growth stages to 10, and the 8 Commercial and Residential stages to 15 allows proper placement of all custom content created for the game. A skyscraper no longer has to be just lumped into Stage 8.
Depending on your playing style, CAM generally takes longer to get those skyscrapers to develop, until your region is actually ready for them.
And as an added bonus, all of the CAMelots available on the LEX have been created or tweaked with the XTool, so that the building's capacity, utility usage and trash output are all in line with the stats that Maxis had in their own buildings, as opposed to what the Maxis Plugin Manager would have for the lots, which was fairly disproportionate, especially for larger buildings.
Personally, I wouldn't want to play without CAM.

Pauld

I've been playing Simcity for years and didn't know that there was such a large and talented community that enjoyed the game. I have been browsing the Mods and lots and I have one question about installing lots after I install CAM. If a lot description does not say it is compatible with CAM should I assume that it is not? And if it is not compatible should I still download it?

Thanks for your time.
P.