• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

CAM - General Discussions

Started by RippleJet, May 01, 2007, 01:35:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bob56

Hi, I was just wondering what the transition issues would be from transferring a CAM 1.0 region to CAM 2.0. I was planning on starting a region when my computer change is finished, and I was wondering if I would be better off in waiting until CAM 2.0 to start the new region.

Thanks!

--Grif
You can call me Grif

--Currently out of the office, will resume SC4 7/19

xxdita

The biggest issue in switching over is the Doubled Regional Capacity issues presented with CAM 1.0, which have been resolved in 2.0. Of course, I think there's room for another tester, eh RippleJet?

z

Quote from: bob56 on January 05, 2010, 03:07:49 PM
Hi, I was just wondering what the transition issues would be from transferring a CAM 1.0 region to CAM 2.0. I was planning on starting a region when my computer change is finished, and I was wondering if I would be better off in waiting until CAM 2.0 to start the new region.

Based on my own experience with that situation, I would definitely recommend waiting for CAM 2.0.  Of course, as xxdita points out, being willing to test it is one way to get it faster...

bob56

ok, and also I can test ( I hope to have everything ready this weekend, although perhaps sooner if the coming storm closes school tomorrow ::)) Just let me know how to get involved in testing and I'll do what I can.

Thanks,
--grif
You can call me Grif

--Currently out of the office, will resume SC4 7/19

RippleJet

Quote from: bob56 on January 06, 2010, 05:20:29 AM
ok, and also I can test

Welcome to the testing group, Grif! :thumbsup:
You should be able to see a private board somewhere now... ::)

Boerentoren

Hi all

I recently found out about CAM so its new to me..

I installed CAM and afterwards I used 'Block all Maxis' by Dusktrooper... Last night i read about the imcambatibility and used the BSC version instead.
My question is; are my cities screwed now (because I used the wrong mod) or will everything work again now that I use BSC's version?

Also, I found a sticky here with the list of lots that are available for CAM but it dates back from 2007. Is there an updated list? Are that all the lots I'm allowed to use with CAM? Or can I also use BATs / Lots from simtropolis.com that aren't on, the 2007 list?

tnx

xxdita

The Linking All Available CAMelots list has been continuously updated since 2007, and is a comprehensive list of CAMelots from the LEX.

The BSC No Maxis mod shouldn't give you any problems, as long as you have it installed into a zz_ folder in your plugins, so that it loads last.

Boerentoren

Quote from: xxdita on January 11, 2010, 03:49:20 AM
The Linking All Available CAMelots list has been continuously updated since 2007, and is a comprehensive list of CAMelots from the LEX.

The BSC No Maxis mod shouldn't give you any problems, as long as you have it installed into a zz_ folder in your plugins, so that it loads last.

Can you give me a link to the 'comprehensive list of CAMelots from the LEX' ?

So I have to create a folder in my plugins, name it 'zz_' and then drag the 'BSC no maxis' folder in it?

tnx for your reply

Diggis

Quote from: Boerentoren on January 11, 2010, 07:17:04 AM
Can you give me a link to the 'comprehensive list of CAMelots from the LEX' ?

It's the same list you found, it gets updated constantly.

Quote from: Boerentoren on January 11, 2010, 07:17:04 AM

So I have to create a folder in my plugins, name it 'zz_' and then drag the 'BSC no maxis' folder in it?

That should do it.

xxdita

The list is in the first few posts of this thread. New CAMelots are announced in the thread as well, so that it appears on your Unread Posts Since Last Visit when it's updated. But instead of making you go through 18 pages of posts, the lists are on the first page of the thread.

And you should probably name the folder zz_BSC No Maxis, so that you remember what's in it later.

Boerentoren

QUOTE : It's the same list you found, it gets updated constantly.

Ok so how will I know about new Lots, cus ist a long list and their aren't any dates. Is there an announcement when new Lots are about to get released?

What happens if I use RCI bats that aren't on the CAM list?

thanks again for the info!  :thumbsup:

xxdita

Quote from: xxdita on January 11, 2010, 07:41:20 AM
The list is in the first few posts of this thread. New CAMelots are announced in the thread as well, so that it appears on your Unread Posts Since Last Visit when it's updated. But instead of making you go through 18 pages of posts, the lists are on the first page of the thread.

And you should probably name the folder zz_BSC No Maxis, so that you remember what's in it later.

Sorry, was editing my post as you were replying.

xxdita

If you use RCI lots that aren't on the list, then they were modded for Rush Hour/Deluxe, and could potentially throw off the balance of the game, especially Stage 6 to 8 Res & Com lots, and pretty much all Industrials.

But keep checking back on the forums... we do have surprises in store soon.

Boerentoren

alright tnx a lot for the info guys  &apls

Boerentoren

I deleted all the non-campatible RCIs, saved and quit.

Right now, i'm already getting 2 stage 10 CO$$$ skycrapers in my 72k population city, my region population only 145k
(there are also a few stage 8 and 9 CO$$$ in my rather small town)

In my days before I started using CAM this was never the case, is this normal???

xxdita

Use the CAMelot Counter from the LEX (Power Search for RippleJet) as your guide to what's "normal". But Population has little to nothing to do with your commercial capacities, which is what determines what stage Commercials build.

deecee

hello - so the residential areas of my cities all have high traffic and some (not all but more than half) of my commercial areas have medium or low traffic.  my question - should i rezone, reversing res & comm?  or is it better to delete the residential and zone commercial over it?  i always hesitate to delete commercial - thinking a loss of jobs will make sims move out of the city.  there's typically more housing than jobs so i thought it'd be easier for them to find a new house versus job.  would someone pretty please straighten me out?!

also, i read that to get around the double capacity situation, some folks build industrial cities with no sims and that sims won't actually be working there but it will satisfy the demand.  my question - does this work for cs$ too?  i can never never never never zone enough to satisfy this demand - i wondered if you have to have people in a city for cs$ to grow or if i can have a ghost industrial & cs$ city?

all responses appreciated!  DeeCee ;D

z

Quote from: deecee on January 11, 2010, 02:30:06 PM
hello - so the residential areas of my cities all have high traffic and some (not all but more than half) of my commercial areas have medium or low traffic.

The traffic simulator has a huge effect on how much traffic you get in different areas of your city.  Which one are you using?

deecee

Quote from: z on January 11, 2010, 02:51:06 PM
The traffic simulator has a huge effect on how much traffic you get in different areas of your city.  Which one are you using?

the new NAM Z High

and sorry if i put this in the wrong place - i thought the increased traffic was because of the higher stage buildings (more sims) in that area and i thought that would be cam.

z

Quote from: deecee on January 11, 2010, 03:23:20 PM
the new NAM Z High

That shouldn't be causing your problems, then - I just thought it would be good to check.

Quotei thought the increased traffic was because of the higher stage buildings (more sims) in that area and i thought that would be cam.

You're probably right here.  One thing that often helps is having high speed transit connections (highways or subways, etc.) between your residentials and your jobs.  Subways seem to be the most effective here, and they have the advantage that you don't have to change the layout of your city.  It wmay take a fair number of them to have an effect, though.