• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Zones not developing at Full Demand

Started by Jaanuman, September 05, 2008, 08:14:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jaanuman

Title says it all, I have full demand for Industry, Res (of all types) and Com, but only the commercial seems to be developing. Any thoughts?

blakesterville

check the desirability...if desirability is low for r and i development but high for c , then maybe that's the case...this is my first sc4d post ;D(I finally figured out how to register)
hope that helps.

Pat

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

woodb3kmaster

I am also having this problem in my more populated cities (R populations between 55K-300K, though not in the most populated city, which is at 590K). I checked desirability for the areas I zoned, and it looks decent, if not high. What mods should I tell you about? I have a lot of them; one I can name off the top of my head is the Industry Quadrupler.

Feel brand new. Be inspired.
NYHAVEN - VIEWS FROM WITHIN
Nuclear City - 5/8

Pat

are you playing with CAM at all too? if so that could be a conflict then? maybe this also might help explain something i dunno but hey here you go [linkie]

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

j-dub

I have had this type of stuff happen, but  I didn't feel mods would solve this type of problem. Mods could also conflict like Pat said. It turns out even though the games manual claims no one else needs water and power, its bull; they most certainly do. They also need to have all the usual RCI amenities around which I won't name, but this stuff I had to take care of before development, and it works better. You may want to keep all your taxes no higher than 7.0, and certain ordiances in effect will scare the industry. Heres an example of how industry comes to a halt. You had to at some point build schools, and eventually education scares away farmers from coming to your town, but you had no choice. This game is not a win-win situation at all.

woodb3kmaster

Quote from: Pat on November 13, 2008, 05:30:02 PM
are you playing with CAM at all too? if so that could be a conflict then? maybe this also might help explain something i dunno but hey here you go [linkie]

No, I don't have CAM. As for that link, it doesn't really apply to my situation. Here's what I mean: One of the cities where I'm having this problem is mostly residential, but also has some C & I (no I-Ag). It also borders the "downtown" city, where there are about 350K C jobs. In general, I try to have at least some jobs in all my suburbs. (I think that explains it, but it might be a tangent instead.)

Quote from: j-dub on November 13, 2008, 05:38:54 PM
I have had this type of stuff happen, but  I didn't feel mods would solve this type of problem. Mods could also conflict like Pat said. It turns out even though the games manual claims no one else needs water and power, its bull; they most certainly do. They also need to have all the usual RCI amenities around which I won't name, but this stuff I had to take care of before development, and it works better. You may want to keep all your taxes no higher than 7.0, and certain ordiances in effect will scare the industry. Heres an example of how industry comes to a halt. You had to at some point build schools, and eventually education scares away farmers from coming to your town, but you had no choice. This game is not a win-win situation at all.

I make sure to provide all my suburbs with all the amenities they need, though I may skimp a little on police coverage. My taxes are higher than 7%, but this is also true in my central city, the one with almost 600K residents and is still growing (though there the taxes are closer to 7% than elsewhere).

Here are the mods I have in my plugins folder, in alphabetical order (the really game-altering ones, all of which I keep in the Program Files/Maxis/SimCity 4/Plugins folder):
BridgeHieghtLow&Suspend.dat (eliminates bridge height requirements)
EvenStageFarms.dat (places restrictions on I-Ag development, which isn't really relevant here as I have no agriculture in this region)
HammoRTLM.dat (I think this is a region view transportation map mod)
industry-quadrupler-2.dat (the aforementioned mod which multiplies all industry lots' job numbers by 4)
LessR$$$Abandonment.dat (should be obvious from the name what this one does)
LessR$$Abandonment.dat (see previous)
Lottery Ordinance - Normal.dat (doesn't seem to have any effect on my cities, possibly due to a mod conflict)
officestagecaps.dat (lowers the game's CO stage caps so skyscrapers appear sooner)
OperaHouse.dat (makes the Maxis opera house function properly)
Original_Menu_Icon.dat (no idea about this one)
[a bunch of Maxis landmarks available from SimCity.com]
Plugin_080_ParkingFines.dat (adds an ordinance)
Plugin_090_SuperDemand.dat (adds an ordinance that sends all demand levels through the roof; I never enact this one)
Plugin_180year_Abandonment_Modd.dat (prevents buildings from abandoning for 180 years, I think)
Plugin_CityHalls_Unlocked.dat (adds upgradable city halls)
Plugin_landmarks_and_other_missing_Props.dat (only really relevant to the LE)
Plugin_No_Dilapidation.dat (eliminates visible building dilapidation)
residentialstagecaps.dat (lowers the game's R stage caps so skyscrapers appear sooner)
RJ - Private Schools with Sliders (version 1.0).dat (modifies the Maxis private schools so their capacities can be adjusted)
Seaport_dev.dat (makes seaports upgradable)
Seaports_LUA.dat (see previous)
SimCity 4 Extra Cheats Plugin.dll (you probably know what this is)
THL_Depth_Underground_Mod x2.dat (not sure about this one, but it has to do with the underground views)
WasteToEnergyMod.dat (makes the Maxis waste-to-energy plant less polluting and more productive)

Nuclear City - 5/8

woodb3kmaster

After playing the game some more, I found that lowering taxes isn't helping; I still get almost no development in empty zones. On the other hand, it seems like already-developed zones redevelop with no trouble. Perhaps this piece of information will be helpful in solving my problem?

Nuclear City - 5/8

j-dub

This is a guess, you mention these files, the no dilapidation mod, Plugin_180year_Abandonment_Modd.dat, officestagecaps.dat, residentialstagecaps.dat, Plugin_090_SuperDemand.dat, LessR$$$Abandonment.dat, LessR$$Abandonment.dat, are all in there together? I don't think your game can handle all those commands, thus confliction causing undesirable effects. Its just that we know what happens when this game gets confused, it stops thinking, and gives up. I am shocked you have not crashed with all that going on. Mostly, I'm talking about two of the same mod type would not work. My previous experience with the 180 year abandonment mod is that it really didn't work, so I got rid of it, and I am pretty sure that no dilapidation, and 180 year abandoment, were not designed to be in there together orginally.
Aside from that though, LessR$$$Abandonment.dat, LessR$$Abandonment.dat, plus the 180 year abandonment mod, cancel out in the equation.

woodb3kmaster

The three mods you list at the end of your post are actually all part of one set of mods - this one. I don't know what you meant about them "canceling out," and it doesn't really make sense to me that they would, since they have different effects on the game, though their effects are all of the same type. Likewise, the Office Stage Caps and Residential Stage Caps mods, while they both modify stage caps, modify different zone types' stage caps, so I can't imagine them conflicting in any way.

I should mention that I don't actually use Super Demand anymore.

So what do you have to say about the discovery I reported in my last post (the one about new zones almost never developing)? The development problems I've described in this thread don't apply to all my cities, just those with a large population or large amount of the city tile developed.

Nuclear City - 5/8

j-dub

Sorry, what I meant was the no dilapidation mod & abandonment versus these two, LessR$$$Abandonment.dat&LessR$$Abandonment.dat. I remember the first two but not the residential abandonment ones. Those last two are what I am concerned about. Certainly, would not say the first two have to go, but maybe that second group does. Perhaps you already know you need more zoned low residential so you have workers for industrial, and low commercial. Again, its always been for me there needs to be more residential first for the other zones to work.
QuoteI may skimp a little on police coverage.
Oh would you be suprised, when I tried to do that. High crime scares the cr*p out of buisnesses, and getting these chalked body outlines in the residential areas gets irritaiting. What ordiances are in effect, I had taken care of some pollution ordiances, and that certainly got rid of any new manufactoring and dirty industry from developing.

With your problem with the game being disobedient at zoning; there is an old saying, if the game doesn't obey, make it pay. How? Alternatively, I have used the extra cheats plugin to plop industrial, and commercial buildings, the same category zones corresponding to the empty zoned areas. It may take longer to plop your own buildings, but this way you can command the game not to repeat the same zoned building over, and insure they don't accidentally get buldozed when dragging a network. It may not be the able to solve the not developing at full demand problem you have, but so long as you have power, water, roads, no pollution, otherwise those will abandon, unless conditions are strictly meant. This forces your game to react. Sadly, plopping residentials usually doesn't work, but the other zone occupants seem to do so. I know, this doesn't solve the initial problem to the zones developing, despite full demand, but it should be some sort of temporary solution, by plopping your own Maxis, and custom buildings. cntrl-x type building plop, or cntrl-x type lot plop.