• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Really stupid question - How to rotate a lot and other placement hints...

Started by oldrogue, February 28, 2007, 03:45:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oldrogue

Hi all, this may be so dumb, but am gonna ask anyway.....In all the years I've been playing this game, well let me put it this way in two years of SC4 I havn't learned how to align stuff....is there a secret to it?   for example when plopping some paths or trees or hedges....will go along fine, and then the corners come out bassackwards...  &hlp.sheesh... another thing is when setting a plopable building like a reward, some will only face one way,  I get frustrated  :angrymore: having to bulldoze the streets that I don't want it to face then rebuilding everything......

Oh.,,,,woe is me...... ;D....

Anyway, when y'all done snickering at this, would really like some help :-[

Thanks in advance
Duane
Sometimes I go into my own little world....but it's ok, they know me there.

coult

Are you looking for the fact that the [HOME] and [END] buttons rotate stuff?

Masochist

That's not a stupid question...it took me soooo long to learn it, but I'm glad I did.  But yeah, coult answered the question.  Ahh, also, don't know if you know this or not, but if your zones are along two different streets, you can usually align them to the other one by holding down [ALT] (although sometimes that gets freaky)...and you can combine different zones to make large tiles (like 5x3 or something) by holding [CTRL].
(Under Construction)

Cali

i agree with masochist, it took me almost three years to figure out how to do all the moving and stuff.
"It's not a design flaw, It's my signature"

Diggis

and you can zone without auto streets by holding SHIFT

Cali

hold on- i want to take notes...lol, i didn't know that one

vab423

Yes but I don't understand the point of without auto streets since the zoning arrows always point to each other.  Why not just zone little chunks at a time?

"It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit."     - Harry S. Truman

Masochist

Quote from: vab423 on February 28, 2007, 06:30:16 PM
Yes but I don't understand the point of without auto streets since the zoning arrows always point to each other.  Why not just zone little chunks at a time?

Sometimes you just want to zone a long strip of zoning straight along a street (like as a strip mall or in a suburb somewhere), but even doing that, those pesky streets pop up.  That's an example of where the [SHIFT] button would come in handy...
(Under Construction)

oldrogue

WOW, :thumbsup: &apls :thumbsup:  I thank you all so very much.......the only thing I knew about was holding the control down (only time I ever feel in control)....

This calls for me .....
playing the game....

Fantastic..
Sometimes I go into my own little world....but it's ok, they know me there.

Diggis

Yup exactly, and the auto streets doesn't seem to like 3 deep lots backin onto 3 deep lots, it will go to 3 and 2 then addin an extra road even if you have one just there.

Also, for doing nice industrial layouts I lay the streets down. then zone over the whole area and the auto streets tries to extend my streets.  I'm sure there is actually a setting to turn in off completly.

Cali

i always try to lay the streets out first. i'm a grid guy, and using that shift key helps me in accomplishing how big i want my neighborhoods or comercial districts to be

vab423

Quote from: Masochist on February 28, 2007, 07:05:30 PM
Sometimes you just want to zone a long strip of zoning straight along a street (like as a strip mall or in a suburb somewhere), but even doing that, those pesky streets pop up.  That's an example of where the [SHIFT] button would come in handy...
Oh.  I just zone until the street pops up, shift my cursor so the street goes away, zone and then start where I left off. I'll try the shift thing next time.

Silly me, I just saw Diggis' post and realized I do use the shift key occasionally - but only when I zone Industrial.

"It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit."     - Harry S. Truman

dedgren

Jeez, and to think I've been turning the monitor on its side all this time...

...hey!  hey!  whutchoolaffinat?

...works for me.

This is a great thread!  I'm going to see if I can cloak my nic somehow so nobody will see me here learning stuff.

David
D. Edgren

Please call me David...

Three Rivers Region- A collaborative development of the SC4 community
The 3RR Quick Finder [linkie]

I aten't dead.  —  R.I.P. Granny Weatherwax