• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Three Rivers Region

Started by dedgren, December 20, 2006, 07:57:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dedgren

Hey, everyone...

As usual, I way overestimated how quick I would get the RealRoads coding done.  Even though RUL 10000002 overrides make way more sense to me now, it still seems like it's two steps forward and one step back.  I was also closing up and moving my law offices this week.  After 10 years in the same place, I've made the big move to a virtual office, and I'll do most of my work out of my home.  The phone lines got switched yesterday, so next week after the movers deliver my files I'll be up and running.

Here's a couple of High Sierra RealRoads pics to carry you into 2011.

See you next year!

David

D. Edgren

Please call me David...

Three Rivers Region- A collaborative development of the SC4 community
The 3RR Quick Finder [linkie]

I aten't dead.  —  R.I.P. Granny Weatherwax

ldvger

David-

Happy New Year to you and yours, as well, and may 2011 be a better year for all than 2010 was. 

The move to a virtual/home office from an actual away-from-home office can be problematic.  I have been working from home for the majority of the past 15 years, so if I may be so bold, let me give you some advice:

1.)  Locate your home office in a space apart from the rest of the life flow of your home and family AND make sure you have a door you can close on the space.  This isolation from the rest of the home helps to keep both you and your other family members cognizant of the fact that when you are in that space, you are working and are not to be disturbed, any more than you would be if you were working away from your home.  Having a door to close on the space works in several ways...it allows you to emphasis your need for work time and space apart from the other life activities going on in the home, it helps cut down the noise that could distract you while you are working and finally, it allows you to put your work to bed at the end of a working day, allows you to "leave" your office and rejopin your family when your day of work is complete.

2.)  For the reasons stated above, do not use your office space for recreational space.  In other words, have a second computer station set up for your recreational use, in a space NOT in your work space.  This is important because your family knows they can interrupt you while you are engaged in recreational activities and while they know the SHOULDN'T interrupt you while you are working, if you work and play in the same space and at the same computer, it gets very hard for your family to know if you are working or playing and so can or can't be interrupted.

3.)  Even with discrete work/play places, it will be difficult for both you and your family to learn to respect the sancitity of your work space and your work times, especially in the beginning.  Knowing dad or husband is just in the next room is going to make it easy for wife and kids to decide they need your help now, rather than waiting until you have finished your work for the day.  So set work hours and create a work schedule, then stick to it and enforce it as best you can with your family...and yourself. 

And..welcome to the world of the home office!  It's really nice to be able to sit in jammies and drink coffee while conducting the business of making a living.  But it's easy to allow yourself and your family into thinking you can work in between time spent with them...and it doesn't work that way. 

Lora/LD

EDITLora, great tips.  You are absolutely right about "discrete work/play places."  I'm afraid, though, I'm going to need a personal trainer armed with a cattle prod to enforce that. -DE

Silur

DAVID !!!
Happy New Year 2011 to YOU, MAGICIAN and to YOUR FAMILY !!!
I'm always waiting news from 3RR ...

Ryan B.

Happy New Year, David!  Congratulations on the move to a home office!

io_bg

Great SC4 pics and Happy new year! :party:
Visit my MD, The region of Pirgos!
Last updated: 28 November

art128

Awesome pictures there, David ! Excellent work my friend. And happy new year 3RR !  &apls
I'll take a quiet life... A handshake of carbon monoxide.

Props & Texture Catalog

Nardo69

Oh boy, David. That first picture is just perfectly what I do miss so badly in this dirty city!

Great work with the roads, now I only need a nice chopper and some money ....  :D

Happy New Year 2011!

Bernhard  :thumbsup:

EDITWith the holidays over, I'd settle for just the money.  Happy New Year, Bernhard! -DE

threestooges

Happy new year David! I saw a message from Joan that you were closing up your law office. Glad to hear it's just for a home office. I have to imagine it'll be nice to reclaim those hours from your former commute. Here's to a wonderful year for you and your family.

On the SC4 side of things, the RealRoads are looking great, and seeing them out in the woods like that reminds me of the winding roads up around Lake Tahoe, although around there sometimes it seems like it takes forever for the passing lanes to show up.
-Matt

metarvo

Happy New Year 2011, David!  Those RealRoads are nothing short of beautiful, and the flora mod adds to the scene.  :thumbsup: 

Oh, and congratulations on the last Double-0 before 10000!  ;)

EDITHeh, my friend... I'll have to award myself something.  That is, after I get done doing the 30 or so honors I owe members of the Double-0 Club who haven't received theirs yet.  All in good time, I guess. -DE
Find my power line BAT thread here.
Check out the Noro Cooperative.  What are you waiting for?  It even has electricity.
Want more? Try here.  For even more electrical goodies, look here.
Here are some rural power lines.

FrankU

I too wish you a good 2011.

And nearing the 700.000 views! The counter shows now: 698228.

zgmfx88s

All the best in 2011.

EDITAnd all the best to you, my friend.  Welcome to 3RR! -DE

Jespernilsson

Took its sweet time but I am now officially done, after 6 months of reading, with all the pages of this very, very, very epic thread.

I have never seriously played SC4 but I just picked it up from Steam and hopefully after all the inspiration in this thread I'll start playing it.

David, you are an amazing man who in some way mesmerized the internet. Not an easy feat you know!

Looking forward to the future of 3RR.

Greetings from Malmö, Sweden

Jesper

ldvger

Jesper-

Well, you did better than I did, and I'm a complusive completist that's been hanging here with the 3RR gang for a couple of years now.  Bound and determined to read the entire saga start to finish, I wrote down the last page I read in my Daytimer every evening and I still never made it all the way through, so you are to be congtaulated on your perserverance! 

I highly encourage you to jump into the SC4 world and start building your own cities.  The game can be thoroughly enjoyable without going into the world of creating, or even using, custom content.  There is a little bit of a learning curve to creating cities that grow and don't grow broke while doing so, so you may want to consider playing what we call the "plain vanilla" version (what you get straight out of the box, just as Maxis manufactured it) before beginning to experiment.  But most all, just have fun!

Lora/LD

Jespernilsson

Quote from: ldvger on January 03, 2011, 08:07:51 PM
Jesper-

Well, you did better than I did, and I'm a complusive completist that's been hanging here with the 3RR gang for a couple of years now.  Bound and determined to read the entire saga start to finish, I wrote down the last page I read in my Daytimer every evening and I still never made it all the way through, so you are to be congtaulated on your perserverance! 

I highly encourage you to jump into the SC4 world and start building your own cities.  The game can be thoroughly enjoyable without going into the world of creating, or even using, custom content.  There is a little bit of a learning curve to creating cities that grow and don't grow broke while doing so, so you may want to consider playing what we call the "plain vanilla" version (what you get straight out of the box, just as Maxis manufactured it) before beginning to experiment.  But most all, just have fun!

Lora/LD

Don't get me wrong, I've been playing SC4 alot in the years, filled a region and such, but it was always just casual building and not extremely-hardcore as in David's case :P

Girafe

Lovely road and sublime landscapes  :)

Happy new year to you and all 3RR members  :thumbsup:

hope to see a 3RR on top for this year 2011, it seems to be very promising  :thumbsup:
The Floraler

This is the end, hold your breath and count to ten, feel the earth move, and then...

*   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *    *   *   *   *   *    * 

dedgren

Whew!  Well, the office move is more or less over- the furniture I'm continuing to use was delivered to my home today.  It took the movers less time to carry all the stuff from the truck up half a flight of stairs and then down a full flight and into the office room than it did for me to move things around and get them where I wanted them.  Of course none of the wall outlets were where I needed them, the phone jack wound up inaccessible behind a full legal-width three drawer file cabinet and the room is really about half as big as it needs to be, but hey...justice waits for no one.  In any event, I know my clients won't, so I just dealt with things as they came up.

So here we are- several days of great posts while 3RR has cruised along pretty much on autopilot.  All you Regulars* have done an incredible job over the years providing content here that I would have been hard-pressed to come up with on my own.  Whether official or not, collaboration on Three Rivers Region has been underway for about four years now, and there's lots more to come.

I'll note that we are closing in on that 10,000th comment and three-quarters of a million page views.  For those of you like our new friend Jesper (Jespernilsson) who have taken the time to read straight through what I guess has become the SC4 fansite equivalent of War and Peace, I am absolutely humbled.  Thank you so much for finding what we've done here interesting.  I'm left tremendously inspired, and I'll leave it at that for now.

Oh, and I have done that random bit of RealRoads coding over the past few days when I've had the odd minute.

#1- Drag a RealRoad.

#2- Passing zones are the default.

#3- Drag a diagonal stretch across the first.

Don't worry about the odd brightness artifacts or the brown boxes.  The artifacts will be cleaned up in the final version.  The brown boxes are probably fixable with a preview, but I haven't crossed that bridge yet.

#4- The no-passing lines at the intersection paint themselves.

#5- Here's the intersection at view level 5.

Anyway, that's where we're at tonight.  I need to head back to the office and get stuff ready for a short trial tomorrow, so will catch everyone later.

David

*A 3RR Regular, as has been our longstanding practice, is anyone who has posted anywhere on Three Rivers Region at least once (and hopefully more) - thank you so very much!

D. Edgren

Please call me David...

Three Rivers Region- A collaborative development of the SC4 community
The 3RR Quick Finder [linkie]

I aten't dead.  —  R.I.P. Granny Weatherwax

Battlecat

This is going to be amazing when it's done.  The touch with the RUL's controlling the location of the passing lanes is very cool!

Glad to hear the move went relatively smoothly!

EDITMy friend, from you, a master of roadgeekdom, that means a lot.  Must. Get. Back. Over. To. Adara. Soon. -DE

FrankU

It's beautiful David!

EDITAnd you, Frank, are truly gracious.  Thank you. -DE

ldvger

Grats on completing the move, David, and I understand how logistics sometimes foul up the best laid plans.  My roomie has been complaining about my late-night keyboard noise keeping him awake, so tomorrow we are going to move my "office" (an L-shaped desk with shelving above) from where it currently resides in our dining room (and only about 12' away from where Michael sleeps in the living room) to the bedroom, where I sleep.  This is a small apartment (652 s.f.) and it's pretty full of Michael's junk (all of mine is in storage EXCEPT for my desk), so re-arranging the apartment is going to be a big job and I think just about every major piece of furniture is going to have to move, then be put back in place after the switcheroo is complete.  Your comment about your phone kack becoming blocked by a filing cabinet made me realize I am going to have to add a stop at Radio Shack to my list of errands this afternoon, to pick up a length of coaxial cable.  The cable (from whence I gain my internet access) enters the apartment in the far southwest corner of the living room and the desk is moving to the far north east corner of the bedroom, which is about as far away from the entrance point as can be made (also about as far away from Michael's bed as is possible).  And because we don't want the cable running diagonally across the living room floor, the entrance hall, and then across the bedroom, even if it is taped down (and it will be!), it'll have to be snaked along the walls to minimize tripping hazards.  Good thing I'm an architect and have drawn up floor plans of the apartment...I can use AutoCAD to measure the distance along the walls and over to the new desk location.  So, thanks for the nudge, I'd have been bent tomorrow when I realized I didn't have enough coax to get myself jooked back up to the internet!

Lora/LD

Jespernilsson

David, do you think there will be a "Grand-master-file-of-all-time.rar" file somewhere down the road? That would definatley make things a lot easier for new guys like myself.

Keep up the good work!

Regards,
Jesper

EDITJesper, I once put 3RR on a disk as a set of self-contained HTML files for a fellow with a very slow (like 96 baud or something about about as awful) Internet connection.  Of course it was much smaller then.  Maybe a "Best of..."? -DE