• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Replacing the Maxis space shuttle

Started by Terring7, February 10, 2010, 01:50:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Terring7

Now that we have a futuristical functional spaceport that allow space colonization, how about a mod that reskinn the Maxis space shuttle into something more futuristic and suitable? Here are some ideas...

Not a demand, just and idea :) :)
"The wisest men follow their own direction" Euripides
The Choice is Ours
---
Simtropolis Moderator here. Can I help? Oh, and you can call me Elias (my real name) if you wish.

RadicalOne

Quote from: Terring7 on February 10, 2010, 01:50:57 PM
Now that we have a futuristical functional spaceport that allow space colonization, how about a mod that reskinn the Maxis space shuttle into something more futuristic and suitable? Here are some ideas..
I don't know about the X33 in the first image, but I like the idea. Ironically, this is close to my field of work - I am a spacecraft propulsions engineer (No, I don't work for NASA). I do sometimes design spacecraft fuselages as well, but less often (and less feasibly for human technology).
Should I try? What kind of design are you looking for? I am more experienced with actual starships, but I'm sure I can pull off a shuttle.

hkboondoggle

Looking for a vessel with huge payload for the Space Transportation System without losing sense of realism, I'm thinking of an interesting (though odd) marriage of US space shuttle and Russian Energia heavy-lift rocket + 4 Zenit boosters.

Energia rocket model with Buran shuttle:
http://jleslie48.com/energialeo/Buran-Energia.jpg

Energia rocket model with Polyus spacecraft:
http://jleslie48.com/energialeo/Energia1b.jpg

Energia rocket 3-D Drawings:
http://models.lemut.net/drawings/Buran-Energia/part1a.jpg
http://models.lemut.net/drawings/Buran-Energia/part2a.jpg
http://models.lemut.net/drawings/Buran-Energia/part3a.jpg
http://models.lemut.net/drawings/Buran-Energia/part3c.jpg

By the way, did anyone ever wonder why all of the spacecraft launched in the game perform "one way trips" instead of RTB?

Terring7

Quote from: RadicalOne on February 11, 2010, 06:32:05 PMShould I try?

If you can and want it, please do it! &hlp

Quote from: RadicalOne on February 11, 2010, 06:32:05 PMWhat kind of design are you looking for?

Something big, aerodynamic and with futuristic look. Something like Saenger

The Choice is Ours
---
Simtropolis Moderator here. Can I help? Oh, and you can call me Elias (my real name) if you wish.

RadicalOne

OK, I'll make some sketches over the next few days - then I will post them here and see which one is preferred.
In the meantime, I do have one sketch (digitally colored) from a while ago - I don't know how well it will work, as it is designed for runway liftoff.

Terring7

This craft will be a great replacement of some Maxis planes :thumbsup:
The Choice is Ours
---

RadicalOne

Quote from: Terring7 on February 17, 2010, 11:32:20 PM
This craft will be a great replacement of some Maxis planes.

Haha, I never thought of that. Yes, it could work to replace the 7n7s.

Earwhyckque

This one would do I think, if only someone could tie wrap it to that small Maxis rocket:

[EDIT]
[source: www.enjoyspace.com]
[/EDIT]
I suppose that one wouldn't even come off the ground, but fall over and crash into your mayors house. Rip it from the directors database &hlp

RadicalOne

Ah...the shuttle is nice, (and possibly usable), but the starship is so large it would have to remain in orbit. It could not possibly be launched.
I am also nervous about issues of copyright here...

Earwhyckque

Quote from: RadicalOne on February 20, 2010, 09:57:00 AM
Ah...the shuttle is nice, (and possibly usable), but the starship is so large it would have to remain in orbit. It could not possibly be launched.
I am also nervous about issues of copyright here...
I was indeed talking about the shuttle, not the star ship. You would need a rocket as high as Burj Khalifa to bring that thing into space....
About your copyright worries: I altered my previous post ;)
If you were talking about the in game issues of copyright: first try to find someone at the film studios who actually is willing to load a model of the space shuttle into SC4 (though I'm pretty sure there will eventually be an Avatar game).

RadicalOne

Your edit does not help much. I am worried about violation of copyright by using a model from a film - commercial, proprietary intellectual property - for our own gain. That seems immoral to me.

I do have a model - the result of a week of collaboration between me and two others (I have not seen the film [I have the score, though!], but was involved due to my work with real spacecraft) - but I am extremely wary of posting such content...what do you think, RippleJet?
Oh...wait, RippleJet isn't watching this like he did AC Airports...Crap. How do we get approval for something like this?

UPDATE:
I have a sketch done. It is a five-level craft (three occupant, two cargo), powered by six fusion engines. Ignore the horizontal lines; I did this on lined paper. Also keep in mind the fact that the ship is bilaterally symmetrical; I really cannot draw. Oh, and for those of you who know Carl Sagan: that is a drawing of a dodecahedron above the cargo bay windows. Anyways, how is it?

RippleJet

FYI, srainy has made a couple of replacement mods for the ingame space shuttle:

Quote from: RadicalOne on February 20, 2010, 07:38:16 PM
what do you think, RippleJet?
Oh...wait, RippleJet isn't watching this like he did AC Airports...Crap. How do we get approval for something like this?

Who owns the model?
Any chance you could ask the owner/company if they would consider getting free advertisement for the movie through a SC4 game asset?

callagrafx

Quote from: RadicalOne on February 20, 2010, 07:38:16 PM
Your edit does not help much. I am worried about violation of copyright by using a model from a film - commercial, proprietary intellectual property - for our own gain. That seems immoral to me.

No less immoral than recreating real life buildings, which many people have done...If you make your own model based on these visuals, then the model is your own intellectual property.  For it to be a copyright violation, you'd need to upload one of the original models from the film.  Design of the craft is covered by copyright too, but if you make at least 3 alterations (reverse angle on wingtips so they point down, change engine shape a little and add tailfins) then the design copyright is yours too.
The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it

Une_ame

A smaller spaceplane with a rocket exist : Hermes + Ariane V.

A about an easier spacecraft to MOD ?

babuloziwad / adj Above perfection in SC4; Dude, this MOD is ~ !

RadicalOne

Quotesrainy has made a couple of replacement mods for the ingame space shuttle:
I will look into those.

I see you like the emoticons I made. They have a rather, ah, long story behind them.

QuoteWho owns the model?
The studio, most likely. Industrial Light and Magic, or someone else?

QuoteNo less immoral than recreating real life buildings, which many people have done
True.

Quote...If you make your own model based on these visuals, then the model is your own intellectual property.  For it to be a copyright violation, you'd need to upload one of the original models from the film.  Design of the craft is covered by copyright too, but if you make at least 3 alterations (reverse angle on wingtips so they point down, change engine shape a little and add tailfins) then the design copyright is yours too.
Oh. That gives me ideas.

Oh, by the way:
How would one change the exhaust from the spacecraft? I used fusion engines (what can I say, your planet has an, ah, steep gravity well), whose exhaust is blue, not the red-orange of (weak) chemical rockets.

Terring7

Quote from: RadicalOne on February 20, 2010, 07:38:16 PMOh...wait, RippleJet isn't watching this like he did AC Airports...Crap. How do we get approval for something like this?

I think that the space shuttle replacement will not need necessary the AC Airports, making this mod an independent and optional project

Quote from: RadicalOne on February 20, 2010, 07:38:16 PMI have a sketch done. It is a five-level craft (three occupant, two cargo), powered by six fusion engines. Ignore the horizontal lines; I did this on lined paper. Also keep in mind the fact that the ship is bilaterally symmetrical; I really cannot draw. Oh, and for those of you who know Carl Sagan: that is a drawing of a dodecahedron above the cargo bay windows. Anyways, how is it?

PERFECT!!! &apls &apls &apls &apls &apls

Quote from: Une_ame on February 25, 2010, 08:35:43 AMA smaller spaceplane with a rocket exist : Hermes + Ariane V.

Hermes is cool, but i think that we will need something... bigger ;D
The Choice is Ours
---

callagrafx

The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it

Terring7

EPIC!! :thumbsup:
But how about having the Orion spaceplane as a replacement of a small Maxis airplane? ;)
The Choice is Ours
---

RadicalOne

Quote from: Terring7 on February 26, 2010, 02:24:08 AM
PERFECT!!! &apls &apls &apls &apls &apls
Success!

Here is another view of it:

Modeling will take a while; I am not particularly skilled.

Terring7

Take your time, this spacecraft is fantastic :) &apls :thumbsup:
The Choice is Ours
---