• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

How do you build your cities?

Started by jonoboo, April 13, 2008, 03:52:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jonoboo

I just wondered how people built their cities, like lay everything out at the start and wait for it to grow or build it up from a little town to a metropolis. I would be grateful for any replies.
Meh!

callagrafx

The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it

HandsOn

I doubt that very much, callagrafx!  :P

I for one have recently started a mix of planning and "natural growth". The later tends to wreck havoc with whatever grand transportation schemes I think of next: Sims then get bulldozed so fast, they've got to run for their miniature lives. But that in turn messes up growth. Thus I now plan, at least for a section of the region, like the new Empire - let's see if anyone recognized the city names..  :-[

First thus I arrange the main arteries: rail and highway or avenues for the hopeful metropolis. Then, if so desired the port, because that always is bloody work, and can easily take an hour or two, even for small ones - levelling tools or not. Bridges can also quickly become a female canine if not planned early. Next is the city centre, with the possible connections to the arteries - especially rail because I am a train nut. Finally the utilities: water, power, garbage collection, lest the city starts looking like NYC on a "good" day. From here on the zoning tends to become obvious.

As for the region, I plan like I would like to see things organized: an industrial city somewhere central, a farming community off on the side, and a region capital. At this stage the map I am using (excellently made by the creator of Barsalonia!  &apls ) has 45 large city tiles and will house approx. 2-3 million when finished

Some pics - ain much but its mine..

Why not visit The Empire MD
Just updated on July 2nd, 2008
And after the game's done.. - The Storyteller's Logbook

Starmanw402007

I'm in the process of rebuilding my city. Because I started noticing a huge slow down in the city/game itself when I had $139million in my city cofer along with 55thousands people.
Your Friend;
Mayor Of Steven's Point & Maxiston
(Proud To Be Cities Of Sim Nation!)

HandsOn

Quote from: Starmanw402007 on April 25, 2008, 09:52:44 AM
I'm in the process of rebuilding my city. Because I started noticing a huge slow down in the city/game itself when I had $139million in my city cofer along with 55thousands people.

Sounds to me you've manage to get some politicians into your city: tons of money & nobody at work & everything crawls to a halt! Must be spring break in Cancun..  ::)

Seriously, though - is it just a city that slows down, or the entire game? You could have what I had - a "core" problem, e.g., SC4 uses the "wrong" core in a dual core configuration..

bwatterud

Somewhat on the same subject, how big do you make your city blocks?  And how big is the general skyscraper lot (base game or CAM)?

RebaLynnTS

How I do my city blocks depends on if I use alleys (By PEG) or not.

No Alleys .. 4x6, 4x7, 6x6 or 6x7.

With alleys 5x6, 5x7, 7x6, or 7x7.

They don't always follow these guidlines, but often do.

Note: Pegs alleys are only 6 tiles long, so I made a set of my own 7 tiles long, as well.
Becca

Look for me at ... Becca At Bat

HandsOn

Quote from: RebaLynnTS on April 25, 2008, 06:44:08 PM

Note: Pegs alleys are only 6 tiles long, so I made a set of my own 7 tiles long, as well.
Good idea - since the alleys need street or road access I'll extend mine, too. Because I've been recently using downtown blocks of 8x8 with exceptional growth results, both C$$$ & R$$$. Smaller blocks (6x7) for R$$ and off-grid areas for burbs, taking care to always CTRL-zone at least 3x3 so the fat cats got somewhere to build..  ;D

whiteshark12

ive found that this is the best way personally.
Thats it, ive finished yapping
But dont breath a sigh of relief
I will be back!
Bwa ha ha! (ha!)