• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Photo Contest Suggestion Box

Started by Masochist, April 05, 2007, 07:27:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Masochist

sebes: You make a good point.  The reason I made it 12 hours instead of 24 is because there could be a lot of rounds to vote on depending on how many submissions are submitted.  I didn't want it to run too long...but the length of the polls isn't final.  I may change it to 18 or 24 hours if that'd be more suitable.
(Under Construction)

thundercrack83

Masochist: I thought of another idea for the themed competition. What about a map competition?

Pat

a not so far off the wall suggestion but what about a waterfalls type theme??

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

Shadow Assassin

What about a region shot competition?
New Horizons Productions
Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dedgren ♦ dmscopio ♦ Ennedi
emilin ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦ papab2000
Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine
See my uploads on the LEX!

Ennedi

Masochist, such tournament is a very good idea. But isn't very popular yet. In addition, we have holidays.
So I suggest to choose a popular theme - something wchich is very common in our cities. For example: Downtown, or if you want to make it more specific - "Central point of your city".
Of course it can be something different, but my idea is to attract more competitors - more fun for more people  ;)

Every theme from previous posts (map, waterfall, region) are very good, but maybe a bit later?
New Horizons Productions
Berethor - beskhu3epnm - blade2k5 - dmscopio - dedgren - Emilin - Ennedi
jplumbley - moganite - M4346 - nichter85 - papab2000 - Shadow Assassin - Tarkus - wouanagaine

rooker1

There are some very awesome pictures making their way to the Hall of Fame.  And I know that I am really enjoying the contest as it is.
But I do have one suggestion.   &idea
Why don't we have a monthly contest of all the pictures that made it to Hall of Fame.  The winner of each month (12 pictures at the end of the year) can battle it out for a yearly contest.  In the end we end up with the 11 Ultimate Pictures of the Year and one Ultimate Picture Overall.

Just an idea........
Robin   ()stsfd()
Call me Robin, please.

Masochist

Quote from: rooker1 on September 21, 2007, 09:08:04 AM
There are some very awesome pictures making their way to the Hall of Fame.  And I know that I am really enjoying the contest as it is.
But I do have one suggestion.   &idea
Why don't we have a monthly contest of all the pictures that made it to Hall of Fame.  The winner of each month (12 pictures at the end of the year) can battle it out for a yearly contest.  In the end we end up with the 11 Ultimate Pictures of the Year and one Ultimate Picture Overall.

Just an idea........
Robin   ()stsfd()

You know, I've had these thoughts, too.  I talked it over with a couple people, and one of the opinions was something along the lines of "Best of the best of the best of the best...where does it stop," you know?

But let's get some opinions going about it...anyone else have any thoughts?
(Under Construction)

rooker1

I see your point, Masochist.  But that's exactly what this competition would be.  The Best of the best of the best..........

First of all, let me say this.  I love this competition, it has made me try harder and harder to make better and more detailed pictures for all else to enjoy including myself.  And I think everyone else does the same.

The way I invision it would be like this.
You win the competition and your picture goes to a Hall of Fame for that month.  People would be able to vote for pictures in already past months (let's call them closed months because the month would be over) for the entire year up to, let's say second week of Janurary and than the year would be closed and we would have 12 Ulitimate Pictures of the Year and those pictures would than be put into a competition against each other to have one Utlimate Picture Overall and this competition would last for about three or four weeks. 
So if it were to run like this we could start right away with the months that have already past.

I sometimes think to myself, that it is interesting to see the pictures that win, including my own.  It all has to do with timing and a very good picture, but not necessarily an awesome/great picture.  I have seen two awesome pictures fight it out and that doesn't mean that if the losing picture were to enter again on a different day, it wouldn't make it to the HoF .

At the end of the day though, it is all about winning and to be able to see the Best Picture of the Year and Month choosen by the People would be interesting in my humble opinion.

I think I should stop now before I make everyone ears start to ring.  :D

Robin   ;)
Call me Robin, please.

thundercrack83

I think this is a great idea, actually! Great thinking, Robin!

mightygoose

robin that is a fantastic idea, but i do think a region shot competition would be awesome...
NAM + CAM + RAM + SAM, that's how I roll....

Pat

Well heres an idea as a money maker for the site.... Going with the idea of the 12 pics, we can just turn it into a calender contest for the next year and the winning pic will have the choice of their month and plus being front cover of the calender... Heres an idea where to get a calender made here [linkie]

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

mightygoose

thats actually the best idea i ever heard...
NAM + CAM + RAM + SAM, that's how I roll....

JoeST

Quote from: Masochist on April 05, 2007, 07:27:35 AM
4.) Colyn is also developing (developed?) a polling applet that would allow people to cast their votes privately, as well as vote on multiple pictures...

As said in the original post (and maybe elsewhere) a polling applet would be a good idea... less wooly, more official and automatic, (no wrong maths  ::) ). So I have started brainstorming one over at arcath.net. If you feel like popping over, please feel free, You can contact me wherever you like, (Yes Including here...)

Joe
Copperminds and Cuddleswarms

Pat

One thing I would suggust so that no pics are lost which some have now become gone in the HOF is to have a seperate Imageshack account or Photobucket account to preserve these wonderful pics that grace the HOF... So that means when there is an update to HOF is that the winning pic is uploaded to the HOFaccount and the images are then viewed in the Hall of Fame....

Of course to avoid any legal stuff there would be a notice to community in general and also a admund to the rules stating that yes you will still be credited for the pic but the pic is now stored elsewhere to preseve it...

Sorry if I am rambling here but that is my idea to preserve the pics in the HOF as I have noticed some pics from Mulefisk are gone and some other has disappered...

rooker1

Pat,

Thank you for pointing that out. 
I have fixed all the links that I could.  The only one missing now is praiodan's, reply #136, inducted on 4-19-08.  I will see what I can do about getting it fixed.
After tonight I will also have a copy of all the pictures saved in my hard drive so that in an event that this happens again, I can just repair the link myself.

Robin  ()stsfd()
Call me Robin, please.

JoeST

well... as it is, I believe all the HoF pics are uploaded to the sc4d server...

thats wrong HEHE, yeah that would be a good idea...

and yeah, thanks Robin

Joe

rooker1

Okay, Lars (praiodan) has just sent me a copy of the pic for the HoF and I have replaced the LINKIE.
All is well again in the HoF world.

Thanks Lars for the quick reply.

Robin  :thumbsup:
Call me Robin, please.

Pat

Sweeeeeet Robin, Im glad you took good care of those wonderful pics as I would hate to see any of them lost...

JoeST

Well... I have finished my program for picture competitioning.... all it needs is testers. You can find it  here. you have to register to  vote/participate in the contest. and no, you cant post 2 pics from the same account, and I might make it so one account per IP address if there is any trouble.... as you can see, there is a few accounts already inserted, so please tell me if you intend on testing and appear on the contestant list. Also, you MUST have cookies enabled to use this system :S

I will update parts of it when there is either Errors reported, or I get round to it.

Thanks to anyone that decides to help :) cant wait to see it working :)

Joe

Pat

Well Joe I was going to see if I can help out but umm one tinny problem no web site lol....