• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Introducing the NAM Distribution Customizer

Started by simmaster07, August 23, 2010, 10:46:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

simmaster07

Due to lack of available development time, this service is currently available WITHOUT WARRANTY OR GUARANTEE OF UPTIME. 10/3/10

Distribution Customizer

The NAM Distribution Customizer, or NAM-DC, introduces a new way for Windows, Mac, and Linux users to all install the NAM while also reducing the amount of time it takes to also grab the Real Highway Mod, Network Widening Mod, and other NAM components at the same time.

In just a few simple steps, the NAM-DC script generates a ZIP that you can simply extract to your plugins folder, meaning Mac and Linux users can enjoy the same simplicity of a NAM installer without WINE or similar software, or needing FileJuicer.

Just go through three steps in the wizard (two if you don't want any components) and extract. Simple!

Currently Supported Version: NAM v29.
All components are up-to-date as of 9/11/10 @ 1:22 PM (UTC - 4)
[link]

Due to the cost of bandwidth for running this on another host, I'm hosting this on my home PC. If the site is down, check back a few hours later.

(The NAM team will not provide official support for NAM-DC caused issues. Report NAM-DC bugs to simmaster07 or in this thread. Permission has generally been granted to publicly release the NAM-DC.)

Want to help port the NAM-DC to other languages? Know how to translate from English to Spanish? German? French? Japanese? See this post.

Screenshots

Nego

Oh, wow! This is AMAZING!!! I tested it out and it was AWESOME! :thumbsup: It was so easy to use, fast (as in faster than downloading and installing multiple NAM components one at a time), and vary simple. :) This is definitely how I'm downloading the NAM and its various components from now on! Great job &apls &apls &apls &apls &apls

JayroBR

Wow! It's amazing!
Besides facilitating the lives of players.

Congratulations for the great work. ;)

Sorry for my bad english  :-[

vitorhnn

Damn good job man!
Next time I have to install NAM I will use this!
Does this require a VPS if it where web hosted?
I'm a mod on SimcityBrasil =)

j-dub

Tarkus

simmaster, you've really done an absolutely brilliant job with this new tool! :thumbsup:  I'm really very impressed with it.

-Alex

simmaster07

I'm glad to hear that everyone likes the new tool so far and that there are no issues with it. Regarding the NAM-DC, I've introduced a new feature that saves your configuration in a database so when the next NAM/component release cycle comes around, your configuration can be restored easily with a unique ID.

Quote from: vitorhnn on August 23, 2010, 02:03:02 PM
Damn good job man!
Next time I have to install NAM I will use this!
Does this require a VPS if it where web hosted?

Not that it would necessarily require a VPS, but there would be plenty of bandwidth and memory, CPU, and I/O usage (45 MB max. of files being copied, compressed, and downloaded).

Tarkus

Quote from: simmaster07 on August 23, 2010, 05:51:07 PM
Regarding the NAM-DC, I've introduced a new feature that saves your configuration in a database so when the next NAM/component release cycle comes around, your configuration can be restored easily with a unique ID.

Wow, it just gets better and better! :thumbsup:  Thank you for all your hard work on this!

-Alex

simmaster07

Quote from: Tarkus on August 23, 2010, 06:06:25 PM
Wow, it just gets better and better! :thumbsup:  Thank you for all your hard work on this!

-Alex

No problem! I enjoy working on the NAM-DC and my other projects because web programming is my main hobby. It could do with some more promotion on Simtropolis though. :-[

CaptCity

Looks like you've done a great job on this that will be a wonderful convenience for many. I did try it out and have one question...

When selecting the STR option, I don't see where the files are installed, and I'm not seeing it in the game.

simmaster07

Quote from: CaptCity on August 23, 2010, 06:57:15 PM
Looks like you've done a great job on this that will be a wonderful convenience for many. I did try it out and have one question...

When selecting the STR option, I don't see where the files are installed, and I'm not seeing it in the game.

Fixed that bug, there was some name confusion between RAM and STR. :'(

CaptCity

Quote from: simmaster07 on August 23, 2010, 08:13:39 PM
Fixed that bug, there was some name confusion between RAM and STR.

That did it. Thanks...

vitorhnn

Yeah, but HostGator offers "Ilimited" (Very High Limit) hosting plans, you know...
EDIT: Oh, I almost forgot, it would be good a simultaneous dowload limit...
I'm a mod on SimcityBrasil =)

simmaster07

Quote from: vitorhnn on August 24, 2010, 09:34:15 AM
Yeah, but HostGator offers "Ilimited" (Very High Limit) hosting plans, you know...
EDIT: Oh, I almost forgot, it would be good a simultaneous dowload limit...

Well, as long as I'm on a (somewhat) dedicated server, simultaneous downloads don't really bother me. Besides, I'm only 13, so I don't have a credit card or PayPal to pay for those plans. I'm just working with what I have available.

On an unrelated note, thanks for the sticky. ;D

Nego

Just wondering, but how are you using your PC as a web server? It sounds really cool and I'd like to try to do the same.

BTW, this is a very cool project you have here. Nice job!

simmaster07

Quote from: Nego on August 24, 2010, 07:04:30 PM
Just wondering, but how are you using your PC as a web server? It sounds really cool and I'd like to try to do the same.

BTW, this is a very cool project you have here. Nice job!

I had to set up port forwarding on my router, some Windows Firewall exceptions, and then install Zend Server for the web site, database, etc. Anyways, glad to hear you like it.

TEG24601

It appears that the "RealHighwayMod_RampInterfacePieces.dat" file is missing from the RHW section of the package.

It also appears, that while I chose all of the roundabout plugins, none were included.

TEG

Nego

Does the download include the TuLEP Patch file: 'zzz-TuLEP-SlipLanePathFix' ?

simmaster07

Quote from: TEG24601 on August 25, 2010, 07:28:58 PM
It appears that the "RealHighwayMod_RampInterfacePieces.dat" file is missing from the RHW section of the package.
Fixed

It also appears, that while I chose all of the roundabout plugins, none were included.
Fixed

Quote from: Nego on August 25, 2010, 07:43:20 PM
Does the download include the TuLEP Patch file: 'zzz-TuLEP-SlipLanePathFix' ?
Added.

b22rian

Nelson..

i just want to say im very very impressed with this

and you did a masterful job . &apls &apls

Brian