• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

NWM (Network Widening Mod) - Development and Support

Started by Tarkus, May 03, 2007, 08:47:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ilikeanrhw

Can someone release an AVE-6 median on the LEX? I'd like to download Ganaram Di's AVE-6 median on STEX, I have an account there but I don't know already my password. If can only someone release an AVE-6 median in the LEX.  :(  &hlp &hlp
EDIT: Please release an AVE-6 median!  I'd be satisfied if someone releases it.  ()stsfd()

-Ilikeanrhw
(\__/) Watch out! I think everyday is a toaster day.
(='.'=)This is Bunny. Copy bunny into your signature to help
(")_(")him gain world domination. Bunny loves weasels. So you too. :)

sitejunction

I don't know if this been reported before. My automota will not drive on to Diagonal OWR-4. The automata stops on the straight to diagonal part. Is there a missing path somewhere?

Kuewr665

Quote from: Ilikeanrhw on November 16, 2011, 04:42:46 PM
Can someone release an AVE-6 median on the LEX? I'd like to download Ganaram Di's AVE-6 median on STEX, I have an account there but I don't know already my password. If can only someone release an AVE-6 median in the LEX.  :(  &hlp &hlp
EDIT: Please release an AVE-6 median!  I'd be satisfied if someone releases it.  ()stsfd()

-Ilikeanrhw
This is a Maxis styled one: http://www.simtropolis.com/forum/files/file/26790-maxis-styled-ave-6-median-pack/

gooper1

Why don't you guys make a AVE-8, MAVE-8, and AVE-10 (MAVE-10 is not that realistic, nor is TLA-9 or TLA-11)?
(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into
(")_(") your signature to help him gain world domination

Bunny is a friend of weasels. So should you. GO WEASELS GO!

metarvo

While I don't know what new additions the NAM team has in store for the NWM, I do know that the addition of new features to the NWM and all other NAM components is more or less on hiatus for now.  AFAIK, this is due to RL on the part of the NAM team, in addition to the development of Project 0E which integrates all NAM components together and improves stability of override networks like the RHW.
Find my power line BAT thread here.
Check out the Noro Cooperative.  What are you waiting for?  It even has electricity.
Want more? Try here.  For even more electrical goodies, look here.
Here are some rural power lines.

riiga

Quote from: gooper1 on November 22, 2011, 02:09:47 PM
Why don't you guys make a AVE-8, MAVE-8, and AVE-10 (MAVE-10 is not that realistic, nor is TLA-9 or TLA-11)?
Because we have better things to do than just add wider and wider networks that fill no real functionality and aren't based on any (or few) real life counterparts. I'm yet to see any practical use of an AVE-10 or TLA-11, and if they exist, they probably don't exist in Europe, which is where I live. We have considered AVE-8 and TLA-9 though, and who knows, they might show up in an upcoming NWM release. And as metarvo says, at the moment we're busy with Project 0E and stabalizing the overall NAM code.

I don't mean to sound rude, but this question (why don't you make a wider [insert network]?) has been asked many times before, and the answer is it takes time, time that is better spent on improving the networks that we already have implemented.

CahosRahneVeloza

Here's an example of a real life AVE-14...

It is a section of the Commonwealth Avenue in Quezon City here in the Philippines. If you have Google Earth you can easily locate it by typing "Old Capitol Site, Quezon City" in Google Earth's search bar. Once Google Earth zooms in & uploads the section of the map you will immediately see an elliptical roadway. Zoom in on it & follow the wide stretch of road that's heading due North-east, that God forsaken monstrosity is commonwealth avenue.

Oh & don't get me wrong, I'm not defending gooper1's request, I just wanted to show what an AVE-14 looks like.

And yeah.... we here loosely misuse & mix up the definition of what is an Avenues, roads, highways &/or street  ()what()

Take this stretch of road, it clearly looks like a pair of RHW-7s & the avenue has been dubbed "the killer highway" because of the many car accidents that has lead to deaths on it but it clearly is named as an avenue. And in fact a decade ago this avenue was merely an AVE-6 before our numbskull Road works planning agency leaders upgraded it to what it is now.

mike3775

The most lanes on an Avenue I have ever driven on is 3 in each direction with the suicide lane in the middle(I forget what that is with the NWM), and that scared the hell out of me driving it, because I am not used to driving on a roadway with that many lanes that has stop signs on it and not traffic lights, but there is a place near me that is like that, and I avoid it all together if possible.  Most cities in my area have 2 lanes in each direction with the suicide lane.

GDO29Anagram

These "Mega-wide" networks have already pointed out before. I've seen maps of AVE-14's already (Argentina), and even some that go up to MAVE-18's (Moscow, Russia).

Here's the big thing: Are they practical and are they commonly used?

If it's used in just one area in the world and is pretty unsafe, that reduces the chance of an NWM equivalent of ever being added.
<INACTIVE>
-----
Simtropolis | YouTube | MLP Forums

Wiimeiser

They should upgrade that to a freeway between University Avenue and Regalado Highway, if that many cars use it, unless it's like that for a very specific reason (cost doesn't count)
Pink horse, pink horse, she rides across the nation...

CahosRahneVeloza

Quote from: mike3775 on November 22, 2011, 06:41:37 PM
The most lanes on an Avenue I have ever driven on is 3 in each direction with the suicide lane in the middle(I forget what that is with the NWM), and that scared the hell out of me driving it, because I am not used to driving on a roadway with that many lanes that has stop signs on it and not traffic lights, but there is a place near me that is like that, and I avoid it all together if possible.  Most cities in my area have 2 lanes in each direction with the suicide lane.

For us here I think four or five lanes on an Avenue is the minimum as a lot of the main thoroughfare here are that wide.

Quote from: GDO29Anagram on November 22, 2011, 07:10:54 PM
These "Mega-wide" networks have already pointed out before. I've seen maps of AVE-14's already (Argentina), and even some that go up to MAVE-18's (Moscow, Russia).

Here's the big thing: Are they practical and are they commonly used?

If it's used in just one area in the world and is pretty unsafe, that reduces the chance of an NWM equivalent of ever being added.

Definitely agreeing on the safety bit :)

The primary reason why this particular stretch of Avenue is unsafe is because of three factors:

1. Driver recklessness - you folks think New York cabbies are nasty? Wait 'til you visit my country &/or India.

2. Negligence on the part of pedestrians - Yep, peds dare to cross those 14 lanes of traffic on a regular basis. There are pedestrian cross bridges but not enough of 'em & most are spaced too far apart. Oh & some of 'em, are flimsily built. There are three ped bridges on Commonwealth Avenue that gave rise to my fear of heights. They were built with aluminum alloy & galvanized steel & as you walked across you can feel the thing shake a lot. And on one of them the galvanized steel is even showing signs of wear as holes have started to form on the walkway.

3. Corrupt government officials - As I said, the avenue was once an AVE-6 but some jerk opted to upgrade the avenue to this monstrosity to ease traffic. During the 90's up until it was upgraded this stretch of avenue used to get over capped daily & not just during rush hour. So as a "workaround" they widened the avenue this much.

Quote from: Wiimeiser on November 22, 2011, 08:54:50 PM
They should upgrade that to a freeway between University Avenue and Regalado Highway, if that many cars use it, unless it's like that for a very specific reason (cost doesn't count)

One thing you need to know is that in this country 80% of road traffic is from public transport. If this were SC4 you'd think that 80% public transportation is a good thing, sadly in the real world... well where I'm from anyway, the "regular Joe" wants to have his/her own car & what annoys me so much is the media is even advertising that public transportation is the bane of one's existence here. I'm a firm supporter of public transportation & if any I'd really want all those gas guzzling private vehicles off our roads :P

An expressway will not be applicable in this country as public transportation here rely on "stop any where to unload &/or load passengers". The concept of designated stops is non-existent. Sure we do have bus stops (Commonwealth Avenue is one of a few that have them) but for the most part, almost every road here do not have 'em. If you want off, you holler & the bus (or other form of road based public transportation) will pull over the side of the road & you get off. For getting on a ride, you'd stand in the curb, wait for a ride & flag it down (just as you would a taxi) to get on.

Ilikeanrhw

Quote from: CahosRahneVeloza on November 22, 2011, 06:34:25 PM
Here's an example of a real life AVE-14...

It is a section of the Commonwealth Avenue in Quezon City here in the Philippines. If you have Google Earth you can easily locate it by typing "Old Capitol Site, Quezon City" in Google Earth's search bar. Once Google Earth zooms in & uploads the section of the map you will immediately see an elliptical roadway. Zoom in on it & follow the wide stretch of road that's heading due North-east, that God forsaken monstrosity is commonwealth avenue.

Oh & don't get me wrong, I'm not defending gooper1's request, I just wanted to show what an AVE-14 looks like.

And yeah.... we here loosely misuse & mix up the definition of what is an Avenues, roads, highways &/or street  ()what()

Take this stretch of road, it clearly looks like a pair of RHW-7s & the avenue has been dubbed "the killer highway" because of the many car accidents that has lead to deaths on it but it clearly is named as an avenue. And in fact a decade ago this avenue was merely an AVE-6 before our numbskull Road works planning agency leaders upgraded it to what it is now.
Well I live in Philippines too.
I hope that an AVE-14 will be included in the releases.....  :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[
(\__/) Watch out! I think everyday is a toaster day.
(='.'=)This is Bunny. Copy bunny into your signature to help
(")_(")him gain world domination. Bunny loves weasels. So you too. :)

ivo_su

Do not expect  that in the next 1-2 years  there will be something  broader than the AVE-8. The maximum  that can be used is two parallel OWR-5 to  build something like the  AVE-10. Hyper broad networks will be introduced gradually but first in  RHW and, after some time.

Tarkus

Here's where we're stopping things with each NWM type:

Avenues: AVE-8
Turning Lane Avenues: TLA-9
Roads (Medianless Avenues): Road-6 (MAVE-6)
One-Way Roads: OWR-6

The only other networks planned that are not implemented:
-AVE-8 (triple-tile, Road/OWR hybrid-based)
-TLA-9 (triple-tile, Road/OWR hybrid-based)
-AVE-7 (triple-tile, Road/OWR hybrid-based)
-TLA-8 (triple-tile, Road/OWR hybrid-based)
-TLA-4 (dual-tile, Road-based)
-AVE-3 (dual-tile, Road-based)
-Road-5 (MAVE-5) (dual-tile, Road-based, already partially implemented)
-ARD-4 (dual-tile, Road-based)
-TLA-6 (width/tile geometry still to be determined, Road-based)
-AVE-5 (width/tile geometry still to be determined, Road-based)
-OWR-6 (dual-tile, OWR-based)
-Elevated variants of many (but not all) networks, at L1 and L2 (no L3 or higher)

There will be no AVE-10, TLA-11 or anything like that.  A TLA-9 is an extreme example of a TLA as it is.  While there are examples of weird things like that AVE-14 in the Philippines and the OWR-11 in Moscow, they're also extreme examples.  There are other items that are much more in demand and would be of more utility to our user base than those items (elevated functionality, more intersection options, more transitions, fractional angles, etc.).

As such, I wouldn't expect these "extreme" new networks items any time soon, if ever.  And if you really want an AVE-10 (or 12), stick two OWR-5s or 6s together.  We'll make TuLEPs for that purpose.

-Alex

ivo_su

Alex  is absolutely right in his  opinion - no sense of wider networks of AVE-8. Because not  many bands and stop points  at intersections slow traffic and generate traffic and congestion. For this purpose, can be used inter-urban highways with fewer lanes, but with more speed and intersections without stop points. Construction of local roadways also helps to reduce traffic. So for example in the construction of  RHW-8C and connecting it with two parallel  to it OWR-2 / 3 through MIS  can achieve the desired  effect of AVE - 10/14.
The addition of any new network is terribly difficult, complex and slow process. Require thousands of textures, paths RUL's codes, etc. It is necessary to comply with all other networks and projects of NAM which in turn adds hundreds of new intersections and  ways to move above or below  the new network.
Rather, if you start working on the draft RABET's would be great because everybody here want a big, wide roundabouts.

CahosRahneVeloza

Personally I do not prefer such extremely wide road networks myself as I read in the papers & see it on the news daily how dangerous such wide networks are.

In game, I find the new triple tile NWM networks a bit difficult to use on the small & medium city block sizes but for the large blocks they can be very useful.

As is, I am very grateful for the work you folk have put into NAM & all these add-on modules for it  :thumbsup:

Tarkus

Quote from: ivo_su on November 23, 2011, 05:47:10 PM
Rather, if you start working on the draft RABET's would be great because everybody here want a big, wide roundabouts.

While I do have modding skill, my real-world experience with roundabouts is largely restricted to simple single-lane setups.  I've driven a dual-lane roundabout exactly 4 times in my entire life (only 6 exist in Oregon, one of which just opened last week), and I have never driven, let alone seen a triple-lane or wider roundabout in person (Google Maps doesn't count).  I'm not sure any even exist within a 1000-mile radius of my present location.

Quite simply, between that, and the fact that I'm already more than occupied with projects that hold my interest more, I wouldn't be able to do RABETs justice.  If someone else on the NAM Team wants to take it up, I'm happy to provide feedback on implementation and the technical modding aspects, but I'm not going to spearhead the project.

-Alex

noahclem

Seems like a pretty good plan for the future of super-wide networks  :thumbsup:  It's great that OWR-6 and twin OWR-5 TuLEPs are planned and of course AVE-8 and its corresponding assymetrical and TLA varients will be very nice.

For some reason I had a feeling that the Champs Elysee was wider than it was, but it seems to be between 8-10 lanes--something that could be recreated using AVE-8 or twin OWR-5s with TuLEPs (though technically it's a MAVE). Other similarly famous wide avenues seem to tend to be about the same size.

Hopefully someone steps forward with the RAbETs. I really like the idea of the project but even if I were to start creating puzzle pieces I'd rather expand the functionality of the tram pieces.

ivo_su

I allowed myself to run a referendum in leading a project RABETs by Alex (Tarkus) who wishes to vote and let the number of points their vote with the aim to collect 100 votes for the referendum to be valid.

here

mike3775